How do you rate Djokovic's mental strength between players of Open Era? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
country flag 5555

5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you rate Djokovic's mental strength between players of Open Era?

Is Novak's mental strength better than Federer's? Agassi's? McEnroe's? Where does it rank in Open Era?
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
country flag Andrej

Andrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you rate Djokovic's mental strength between players of Open Era?

1. Nadal
2. Sampras
3. Borg
4. Djokovic

I'm only talking about all time greats. There might be some mediocre, mentally stronger players out there.
Andrej is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
country flag ClutchOnandWin

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you rate Djokovic's mental strength between players of Open Era?

IMO yes.

One of the most mentally toughest player's there's ever been and it really is because of his upbringing and where he came from.

Watch Djokovic vs Del Potro at wimbledon this year, watch Djokovic vs Nadal at the Australian Open in 2012.

It's only really been THIS year where Novak's shown odd glimpses of mental frailness oncourt. He did maraculous, absolutely maraculous to break Rafa back and take it to 5 sets at Rolland Garros, but the indecision he made at a break up with that touch at the net. The way he then went on and ALLOWED that to get to him acting as a momentum zappper, was quite unbelieveable. What was most unbelieveable was the way he chucked away the US Open from a seemingly unasailable lead. ON HARDCOURT AS WELL. Up a break and whilst up a break,an opporutnity, twice, for a double break. Later the same set, drawn at 4-4 he is standing at love 40 with 3 opportunities to break the Rafa serve, he gets a go at two second serves and still fails to break, boy. That was, for me, indepedently "the worst" mental performance I'd ever seen from Novak.

Then again these are two matches and it shouldn't overshadow what is "generally" a very mentally resilient competitor. Over the long haul and from a bigger picture overview, he is unquestionably one of the most mentally toughest player's I can think of. (Alondside Rafa)

If you really want a glimpse of just how much of an "inner" (INNER!) "competitor" Novak Djokovic is, then I urge, urge you, to watch this clip of him. Please remember to note, this is him having a bloody "mess around game of tippy tappy" with one of his hitting partners.

My all time favourite Novak Djokovic moment.

This guy's desire to win matches his talent!
^This is what having a crush does to an individual.

Follow me on Twitter; https://twitter.com/RedliningMyGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by monfed View Post
RG 11 Final wasn't a gamble you utter tard. It was a lock for Novak.
^^^^^^^^^ No, you DON'T need glasses.

Or find my posts at #MuppetOfTheHighestCaliber

Last edited by ClutchOnandWin : 12-09-2013 at 06:19 PM.
ClutchOnandWin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Prior to the end of last year, it was a #1 contender. This year taints it rather badly, two pretty bad GS chokes

Matosevic, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Dolgopolov, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Gonzalez, Monaco, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
country flag Balthazar

Balthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
Prior to the end of last year, it was a #1 contender. This year taints it rather badly, two pretty bad GS chokes
2 chokes?Maybe 1 and that's debatable
Balthazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
country flag nolethebest

nolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond repute

probably just behind nadal nadal and Sampras apart from this year were novak has look mentally weak a times French open were he touch the net and the us open were he let it go he been very mentally strong to rebound from that and win 4 BIG torneys in a row and 1 year shouldn't be judge upon he got more years to show how mentally tough he is

Old 12-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
country flag nolethebest

nolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
2 chokes?Maybe 1 and that's debatable
mental toughness isn't judge on the losses but how u rebound from it.....
nolethebest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

He is strong, but I also remember some horrible mental lapses too (looking at his entire career) ... I'd like to see how well he does in 2014/15 ...
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

Clutchdal- Serves aces at all the right moments. Banana shots at the right moments. Amazing stuff. He has been Cltuchdal since day one as well.

Sampras/Roarovic- Depending on 11 or 13 Djkovic, he is interchangeable with Sampras. 11' Roarovic and Rippedshirtovic was a thing to behold.

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Better than Muger Frauderer
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowchi View Post
Agreed.

Clutchdal- Serves aces at all the right moments. Banana shots at the right moments. Amazing stuff. He has been Cltuchdal since day one as well.

Sampras/Roarovic- Depending on 11 or 13 Djkovic, he is interchangeable with Sampras. 11' Roarovic and Rippedshirtovic was a thing to behold.
Negative

Djokovic is not as mentally strong as Sampras was

Still gets frustrated, especially when he is not in control of a match or feeling at ease on a surface

Consistent and strong enough mentally ahead of the current bunch, however
Old 12-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #12

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

^I don't see how "getting frustrated" is a mental weakness. There is a clear difference between "getting frustrated" and "allowing frustration to upset your game".

In Andy Murray's case, getting frustrated is what caused him downfall in the past but as far as Novak goes, he gets frustrated, shrugs off what just happened and ups his game for the following point.

Quote:

Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
^I don't see how "getting frustrated" is a mental weakness. There is a clear difference between "getting frustrated" and "allowing frustration to upset your game".

In Andy Murray's case, getting frustrated is what caused him downfall in the past but as far as Novak goes, he gets frustrated, shrugs off what just happened and ups his game for the following point.
I don't know if your trolling has decreased or we are seeing eye to eye .

Good post

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #14

It's all subjective to the individual..

If we take the "isolated" french open incident with the net touch, yeah he was always clearly going to invest some frustration into what happened. A hold there and it was virtually game, set and "career slam", (With a WO in the final) He did allow that flustered, easy opportunity to take one huge step in sealing a win, get to him. May be he did, but again, it's one isolated incident which carried such significance in his career, that he'd be souless not to react with some sort of despair! It's hard to put in to words the "ridiculousness" of the magnitude completing a career grandslam has in tennis.

Quote:

Last edited by ClutchOnandWin : 12-09-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
country flag Tag

Federer and Agassi listed as mental titans