Daviscup Belgium - USA - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-24-2005, 11:59 PM   #31
country flag zoltan83

zoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daviscup Belgium - USA

Congrats to Oli for his victory
He need to win against Andy tomorrow otherwise USA will win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli_V View Post
Nicoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!, you rule
zoltan83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2005, 08:09 AM   #32
country flag JuanRodriguez

JuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJuanRodriguez has a reputation beyond repute

Bryans put USA in front

Constant cheering from the predominantly Belgian crowd of about 2500 — their rhythmic chants of “Bel-gium! Bel-gium!” accompanied by the BNP Paribas cheersticks — made the USA-Belgium doubles match a far more spirited event than most would have expected. At some points, it might have even contributed to a change in course of this Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Play-off rubber between the American Bryan twins, Bob and Mike, and the Belgians Olivier Rochus and Kristof Vliegen. But in the end, to the Bryans, their Belgian opponents and the crowd were like gnats on a mid-summer picnic. They annoy. Gosh, do they annoy. But despite that, they do not stop the fun.

“It was a lot of fun,” Mike Bryan said of the brothers’ 63 67(2) 61 63 victory.

"To come out on the road on dirt and take this one and give our team a 2-1 lead is pretty great. We love Davis Cup every time we step on the court. We throw in more chest bumps; we move our feet extra. So we’re excited right now.”

The Bryan brothers’ win gives the United States the advantage going into Sunday’s reverse singles, with Andy Roddick scheduled to meet Olivier Rochus in the first rubber. In the only previous head-to-head meeting of the two, Roddick won 64 64 in the quarterfinals at Basel two years ago.

“I think Andy is going to be very motivated,” said U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe. “He’s expecting a tough match, but he’s playing very well.”

Rochus said, “I saw Andy play against my brother [a 61 62 63 Roddick victory on Friday]. I know how good he is. I’m just going to try to play my game and be aggressive on my serve as much as I can and fight, fight. But it’s going to be tough.”

Saturday’s doubles match was tough in its own way. The way the Bryans began, the match seemed on the verge of being a cakewalk for the Americans in much the same way as Roddick’s win against Christophe Rochus was on day one. The Bryans lost only three points on serve, made Olivier Rochus work extra hard for each of his service games, and peppered Vliegen with one return after another, forcing the 23-year-old Belgian into one volley error after another.

“That was our strategy,” said Bob Bryan, “let’s go up the line early in the match. We wanted to do that so that we could have them ‘stay at home’ the rest of the match. …Also, guys who don’t play a lot together tend to break down at
the net.”

Ironically, it was the Bryans who broke down at the net midway through the second set, allowing the match to turn in favour of the Belgians. At 3-2 deuce on Bob Bryans’ serve, Mike Bryan got a high forehand that was three-quarters of the way to being an overhead. Instead of adjusting to smash the ball, however, he returned a hard forehand volley that allowed the Belgians to work the point further until Vliegen hit a winning crosscourt forehand. The Belgians went on to break Bob’s serve and wound up winning the set in an easy tie-break.

“It was probably a pivotal point,” Mike said. “If we had gotten that game, we’re probably off the court in an hour and a half instead of 2:45.”

But the Belgians, even with undying crowd support throughout the afternoon, couldn’t maintain the momentum.

“At the beginning of the third set, we played two really poor games and in five minutes, it was 3-0 for them,” said Olivier Rochus

“It was over very fast. The fourth set was very, very close. At 4-3 for them, we had love-40 on Mike’s serve, but Mike hit five big serves and we lost the set 6-3.”

Rochus said he would not begin to focus on the task ahead of him on Sunday until the morning or possibly later on Saturday night. But as favourable as the tie began for the Belgians, first with the draw they wanted and then with Olivier Rochus defeating American James Blake in the opening rubber, this is hardly the position Belgium desired now.

“We have nothing to lose,” Rochus said.

“I’m playing a Top 5 player who was No. 1. We have nothing to lose. This is good. I can try to play a good match and enjoy it. You never know.”
JuanRodriguez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:36 PM   #33
country flag RogiNie

RogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond repute

Oli won the first set 7-6! c'mon belgium!

Jarkko Nieminen > Janko Tipsarevic > Mario Ancic > Gilles Muller > Marco Chiudinelli > David Nalbandian
RogiNie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #34
country flag freesbee
Silly Nando Chica!

freesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond repute

he lost 7-6 6-7 6-7 6-4 3-6. anyway, good try

Roddick sees USA through
USA's No. 1 Andy Roddick finally overcame some stubborn resistance from Olivier Rochus to record a 67(4) 76(4) 76(5) 46 63 victory to give USA an unassailable 3-1 lead over Belgium in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Play-off tie.

In a match lasting just over four and a half hours, Roddick finally won a five-set match on clay for only the second time in his career, stopping a three-match losing streak in five-setters on clay in the process.

James Blake extended the United States' advantage to 4-1 with a 75 61 victory over Steve Darcis in the dead rubber.

The Tipsy Chat Thread
Nando's Chicas' and Chico Milan's Chat World
Je suis une Chardette spreading the Cute in the Lovely Thread
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
u shouldnt like people based on hotness
you need to be more like me
freesbee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:10 PM   #35
country flag freesbee
Silly Nando Chica!

freesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick McEnroe's team look forward to next year
With their current Davis Cup by BNP Paribas nations ranking at No. 6, US Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe could almost relax as he watched James Blake complete Team USA’s 4-1 victory against Belgium in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Play-offs with a 75 61 win against Belgian rookie Steve Darcis. If nothing else, about half the Belgian crowd that had been angered by a controversial line call in Andy Roddick’s five-set win over Olivier Rochus was gone.

Better still, when the draw for the 2006 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group is made on 29 September in Paris, the chances of the United States drawing an opponent that would force the team back onto clay in next year’s first round appeared slim. Chile is among the potential first round opponents for USA next year, but the United States would be host in such a pairing.

“We’re looking good for next year,” McEnroe said, ticking off the strengths of his team, from leader Roddick to top doubles team Bob and Mike Bryan to the solid depth from the much improved trio of Blake, Robby Ginepri and Taylor Dent. “Saying that, we hope we get a pretty decent draw and are able to play some at home. It gives us a boost to win (this) away in a tough clay court match. That gives us a lot of confidence for next year.”

Underreported in this tie against Belgium was that the United States was fighting to keep from losing three consecutive ties in a virtual repeat of the circumstances that saw the USA fall into the Americas Zone Group I back in 1987. Where as the United States lost to Spain last year in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Finals in Seville and then lost in the first round this year to Croatia in Carson, California, in 1986, the US Team lost to Australia in the semifinals and, in 1987, lost in the first round to Paraguay and in the Play-offs to West Germany.

Many thought that the Americas had this Play-off tie against Belgium virtually in its back pocket when the Bryans won the doubles point on Saturday to put the USA ahead 2-1. But as Olivier Rochus pushed Roddick further and further in the fourth rubber, Sunday’s first reverse singles match, Belgium looked ready to pull off the upset.

“I was not feeling too bad. Andy was in worse shape than me in the fifth,” Rochus said. “I think I was really unlucky not to break him. His serve all the time was still there.”

For the match, Roddick had 35 aces, two fewer than his personal best of 37. Five of his biggest aces came in the third-set tie-break. He admitted that if not for his serve, he might not have won the match. “I wasn’t beating him in any other part of my game in the first two sets,” Roddick said.

The irony here is that the 5-foot-5 Rochus often had easier service games than 6’2” Roddick, in terms of points yielded. Roddick didn’t win a point on Rochus’ serve until the Belgians fifth service game. “Olivier played unbelievably well,” Roddick said. “I felt like I couldn’t do anything to hurt him.”

Roddick, by engaging Rochus in long points, many longer than ten strokes with both players running from side to side, did manage to wear Rochus down, however. Although Rochus says he felt like he was in better shape than Roddick by the end of the match, he admitted that he, too, was cramping.

The controversial line call in the sixth game of the fifth set, which gave Roddick the final service break of the match, seemed to be the final body blow, however. And maybe even more than that, it gave Roddick enough of a lift to finish off the match. Now he and his teammates just have to wait to see which nation they will be playing in February and where.

“We’re excited to be back in it,” McEnroe said. “Davis Cup is obviously important to these guys. To know that we have a chance next year is exciting for us. I think we’re one of the favourites. By no means are we THE favourite. With the depth in Davis Cup, you have to be ready every match. We found that out this year. The team we lost to is now in the Finals. There are a lot of great countries out there. We’re looking forward to seeing who we play.”

The Tipsy Chat Thread
!
Quote:
Old 09-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #36
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Daviscup Belgium - USA

Oli

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:43 AM   #37
country flag Xmanfan

Xmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to Oli on a great victory over Blake and a ever so nearly over Roddick. He must've played his heart out. A shame X was dropped - could've made all the difference but hey, at least the Belgian's won a rubber! unlike us Brits....!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:52 PM   #38
country flag chewy

chewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, ollie did a great job, winninig against blake and almost won against roddick!

olli is such a great fighter!
Hyeon Chung | Dennis Istomin | Ze Zhang | Go Soeda | Tatsuma Ito | Yuichi Sugita | Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi | Rohan Bopanna | Danai Udomchoke | Tsung-Hua Yang | Hiroki Moriya | Mao-Xin Gong | Hyung-Taik Lee | Paradorn Srichaphan | Takao Suzuki

Fernando Gonzalez | Max Mirnyi | Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Tommy Haas | Ricardas Berankis | Xavier Malisse | Andreas Seppi | David Ferrer | Juan Martin Del Potro | Tim Smyczek | Olivier Rochus | Victor Troicki | Horatio Zeballos | Lleyton Hewitt | Nick Kyrgios | Mario Ancic | Peter Luczak

ATP Tokyo 2012, ATP Memphis 2013 Champion Kei Nishikori
chewy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #39
country flag freesbee
Silly Nando Chica!

didn't know where to put this, so I post it here:

the draw for the 2006 Europe/Africa Zone group I can be found here: http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?id=13481

Czech Republic (s)
v
Bye

Morocco
v
Bye

Italy (s)
v
Bye

Portugal
v
Luxembourg (c)

Israel (c)
v
Serbia & Montenegro

Bye
v
Great Britain (s)

Bye
v
Ukraine

Bye
v
Belgium (s)

The Tipsy Chat Thread
!
Quote:
Old 09-30-2005, 04:50 PM   #40
country flag freesbee
Silly Nando Chica!

Ruzie tussen Xavier Malisse en Olivier Rochus bijgelegd
,,Ik wil weer dubbelen met Olli''

Xavier Malisse en Olivier Rochus kwamen samen door de deur bij de voorstelling van het Challenger-tornooi van Bergen, waar beiden volgende week spelen. De ruzie over de Davis Cup-selectie die woekerde tijdens de US Open is bijgelegd. ,,Volgend jaar spelen we weer dubbelspel'', vertelt Malisse.
Xavier Malisse (ATP 43) gaf gisteren voor het eerst sinds de US Open acte de présence. Intussen had hij zijn trainer Kelly Jones, al zijn negende coach, aan de deur gezet en verloor België in de Davis Cup van de VS zonder de West-Vlaming in de rangen. In New York zorgde die ontmoeting nog voor ruzie tussen hem en zijn maatje Olivier Rochus (ATP 31).

Je ziet het zitten volgende week in Bergen.

,,Het is een mooie gelegenheid om eens in België te spelen. Ik ga alvast alles geven. Ik heb de voorbije weken goed getraind met vrienden in Waregem. Het vertrouwen is er.''

Wie is de favoriet?

,,Olli zeker? (lacht) Ik zou zelf graag winnen, maar het gaat hier wel om een Challenger van 125.000 dollar. Dat is wat anders dan een 25.000 dollar-tornooi. Maar elk tornooi waar je aan deelneemt, wil je graag winnen. Plus, het is in België. Dat is ook leuk voor de fans.''

Waar heb je de voorbije weken uitgehangen?

,,Ik ben al twee weken en een half in België. Vier, vijf dagen na mijn uitschakeling op de US Open ben ik teruggekeerd. Ik wil meer in België zijn. Na Bergen speel ik in Stockholm, Madrid, Lyon en Parijs. In november ben ik dan weer in het land om me daarna in de States voor te bereiden op de Australian Open.''

Heb je al een nieuwe coach?

,,Er zijn geen onderhandelingen bezig. Ik zie wel wat ik de volgende vier weken doe. Misschien is het gewoon een kwestie van iemand mee te hebben om mee te trainen. In Australië wil ik wel weer een coach hebben.''

Wat is er misgelopen met Kelly Jones? Op de US Open leek alles nog koek en ei en een week later was het afgelopen.

,,Kelly heeft me veel bijgeleerd, maar hij was einde contract. Er is niets verkeerd gelopen. We zijn nog steeds goede vrienden en bellen nog met elkaar. De samenwerking is stopgezet voor andere dingen. Wat Kelly me wou bijbrengen is er uitgekomen op de US Open. Het doel was bereikt.''

Kan de volgende coach een Belg zijn?

,,Waarom niet? Het kan iedereen zijn. Ik wil gewoon iemand waar ik me goed mee versta. Dat is niet gemakkelijk. Tenslotte ben je zes uur per dag samen met je trainer, dat is niet gemakkelijk.''

Davis Cup vanuit zetel

Ga je in de toekomst nog dubbelspel spelen?

,,Ik ga proberen, Olli en ik gaan weer samenspelen.''

Met Olivier Rochus is alles dus weer bijgelegd?

,,Alles is weer op zijn plooi aan het komen. Eigenlijk werd er meer van gemaakt dan het was.''

Speel je in Bergen dubbel?

,,Liever niet. Het is mijn eerste tornooi. Als het slecht afloopt, wil ik snel naar het volgende tornooi kunnen.''

Heb je de Davis Cup-wedstrijden gevolgd vorig weekend?

,,Het was wel vreemd de Davis Cup op tv te volgen. Vrijdag kon ik niet. Zaterdag heb ik de eerste twee sets van het dubbelspel gevolgd en zondag tot aan 5-1 in de derde set. Dan moest ik weg. Naar het schijnt is toen het beste gekomen. Het zat erin, hoewel ik niet weet of met mij erbij de uitslag anders geweest zou zijn.''

Is er intussen al duidelijkheid over jouw Davis Cup-toekomst?

,,Ik wacht nog even tot het wat kalmer wordt. Eigenlijk is er hierover nog niets beslist.''

Freddy CARREMANS

http://www.sportwereld.be/Article/De...cleID=GHCIBIM0

good news!!

check also http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=52035

The Tipsy Chat Thread
!
Quote:
Old 10-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #41
BelgianGirl

BelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see them acting like adults now!
BelgianGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote