Articles & Interviews - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #46
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsa
It must not be the right word! lol! Is singing/ singy accent an existing English expression? Please can any French speaker help? How would you translate "chantant"?
Singing, I think.
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005, 09:00 PM   #47
country flag tennisgirl19

tennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you mean now about the chantant. I just learned a word in French lol

Carlos Moya, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Tommy Robredo, Mario Ancic, Bob and Mike Bryan, David Ferrer, Marat Safin, Andrew Murray, Edouard Roger-Vasselin, Julien Benneateau, Nicolas Mahut, Eric Chvojka y Feliciano Lopez

Proud passenger of the " Murray-Mount " Seat #12
tennisgirl19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:10 PM   #48

tennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Post Match Interview- 2nd Round

Q. What was the difference between the first and third set? What were the problems for you in the second set? The first and third set went so smooth and easy, then the second set you had to play a tiebreak.

RICHARD GASQUET: (In French.) What is clear is that I had to break at 4‑3. It was a very good set. I was very focused. Everything was going fine. Then when I did not finish on my breakpoints, I felt very frustrated. I had two very bad moments from 2‑2 to 5‑All. I was lucky that I won in the end. It really improved my game.

Q. What do you think about the Nadal thing, if you're going to play against him in the next round?

RICHARD GASQUET: (In French.) I will need to play fantastically if I want to win against Nadal because he's a great player. I will need to be extremely focused, to be in very good physical shape. It will have to be the perfect match on my side because otherwise I will not win.

But if I lose, it's not a drama. I know if this is the case it's going to be a great match because we will be on the central court. But we'll have to wait first and see if he wins. If he does, it will certainly be a fantastic match for both of us, and I hope to win.

Q. How would you characterize Nadal's game?

RICHARD GASQUET: (In French.) He's running everywhere, all over the court. He's hitting very hard. He doesn't make any errors. He doesn't give you any points. Some players do, but he doesn't. It's zero mistakes.

I can hit harder than he does, but it's not easy to move him on the court. He's got a very good mental state and a very good physical state. He's very good, especially on clay. I will have to make a fantastic match if I want to win over him.

Q. Are you going to practice with a left‑hander tomorrow?

RICHARD GASQUET: (In French.) No. I'm playing doubles with Gael tomorrow, but I know how to play Nadal. I've played against him. I know what to do and I know how to beat him. I will not try to train with a lefty tomorrow. I don't need that to play against Nadal.

Q. The French audience loves you and are very happy you're a strong player, but on the other hand they have high expectations. Does this bother you or put you under any pressure?

RICHARD GASQUET: (In French.) Well, I'm very pleased that I won on the Suzanne Lenglen court and the central court. It's the first time I was on the central court, and it's not obvious. It's true that I try not to be worried too much. It gives me a lot of confidence to play already on the central court. After a few matches on the central court, I will certainly feel better.

Q. Obviously, there have always been teenagers that have made an impact on the tournament. I'm wondering if you're surprised by you, Nadal, Berdych, a lot of these guys that are young and having success.

RICHARD GASQUET: (In French.) What is exactly the question? It's true there are many young players. Nadal is certainly the best. I don't know whether there has ever been somebody as good as him in teenagers, fifth in the ranking, 18. There's Gael and other players in other countries. But I think it's very good for tennis at large. It's good in France to have new blood coming into the tennis. I think it's a good thing for the sport.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French.

Q. Do you enjoy playing with all this pressure from the audience?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes, it's a great pleasure. There's a lot of tension before you start. But if you win a match like this in the central court, it's fantastic with the stands full of people. It was a bit hard today, but I did play quite well and I had great pleasure playing with such a great audience.

Q. Was the match today the sort of match that gives you more confidence before playing Nadal?

RICHARD GASQUET: We will have to wait until Nadal actually wins today (smiling). I'm pretty sure he will, but let's wait.

I think my tennis is good. I have played well in Hamburg, and I will have to raise my level to play him. It's good to have two matches before that.

Q. What sort of lesson do you take from the last time you met him?

RICHARD GASQUET: Well, my tennis was good, but I was far too tired to win over him. He returned impossible shots. I was very tired. I was very tired. But I'm still very proud of the match I played against him. I will have to improve for the day after tomorrow.

Q. Do you feel relief because during the first two rounds everybody was expecting you, saying you were a favorite? There was a lot of expectation. Do you feel a bit of relief now?

RICHARD GASQUET: I'm very pleased, very relieved that I won these two rounds against good opponents. It was not all that easy. Now it's a very big match awaiting me. I'm not necessarily the favorite. It's fantastic to play against Nadal. If I can win over Nadal, that would be absolutely fabulous.

Q. You knew that this match was in the offing for the third round. Was it a problem?

RICHARD GASQUET: No. I'm delighted to play in Roland Garros on Suzanne Lenglen. I didn't think too much. I knew the third round would be a difficult match. Before that, two difficult matches.

Q. Do you remember the last time you played him?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes, I do. I do. He was running all over the place. He's still like that. It's a very hard opponent.

Q. Were you surprised the first time?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes. I knew him already, I knew his tennis was fantastic. But it was incredible to see how much energy he had. He was 14 at the time, remember.

Q. You nearly played doubles together, but he was injured. How do you think you're going to feel to play against somebody that is a friend after all?

RICHARD GASQUET: Well, it's different from playing against another countryman. It's very special for me to play against Nadal because we've always been compared. But it's still different from playing against another French player. I think it's special for him, too.

Q. How did you feel today as compared with the first round? You were a bit calmer, no?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes. It was not familiar, playing for the first time in the central court. At one point I had problems and I had to really be focused on my game. I tried my best to remain absolutely collected. During the first round, it was different. I was in a different situation.

Q. On central court, it's a bit difficult to find your bearings, no?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes, yes. It's a big court and you have the wind that really gives you problems on the central court.

Q. You mentioned these cases of comparison between you and Nadal. Do you find it heavy?

RICHARD GASQUET: Well, thank God there's only one Nadal because otherwise it would be difficult to play on the circuit. But it's no problem. I'm a young player, as well. No, no, the fact that people compare the both of us doesn't create any problems for me.

Q. The forecast for Friday is that it's going to be very hot on Friday. Is that a good thing for you?

RICHARD GASQUET: It's good for me. It's good for me. Today was very fast. Compared with Hamburg, for instance, it was very different, especially playing for the first time on the central court. If Friday is good weather with a lot of sun, it's going to be fantastic on central court.

Carlos Moya, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Tommy Robredo, Mario Ancic, Bob and Mike Bryan, David Ferrer, Marat Safin, Andrew Murray, Edouard Roger-Vasselin, Julien Benneateau, Nicolas Mahut, Eric Chvojka y Feliciano Lopez

Old 05-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #49
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

The beginning of that video could interest you...Richie in the locker room after his match...
http://roland-garros.france2.fr/tout...&id_article=38

+ 2 others ones
http://roland-garros.france2.fr/tout...&id_article=36
http://roland-garros.france2.fr/tout...&id_article=37

Guy Forget

Last edited by Marine : 05-25-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:34 PM   #50

oOoo Nice

Old 05-25-2005, 11:49 PM   #51
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

This one is nice too: http://roland-garros.france2.fr/tout...&id_article=31
delsa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:52 AM   #52

Very, very nice. Great thing to see before bed

Old 05-26-2005, 03:43 AM   #53
country flag Daniela_CABJ

Daniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond repute

why does he have to speak so fast?!?!?!?! I had to play the videos three times to understand him

thanks for the links!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

*LINK TO RICHARD GASQUET OFFICIAL WEBSITE*

TOMÁŠ BERDYCH
Daniela_CABJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:25 PM   #54

I watched the videos today in school and they were amazing. Thanks everyone.
Even my friends has to stop what they were doing when he stood up with the towel on. lol

Richard

Old 05-27-2005, 04:23 AM   #55
country flag Cindy19

Cindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond repute

For me, English and Franch are all very very difficult to understand...
Cindy19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:31 PM   #56

Post-Match Interview

Q. Were you bothered by the high balls?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes. What really bothered me is that he is physically stronger than I am. For instance, he resisted much better than I could with the heat and long rallies. The lift was a real problem.

Q. Do you think that with the heat the balls were bouncing much higher and, therefore, you had to hit them at a higher point than you are used to?

RICHARD GASQUET: Well, that's true, and it didn't help me. But on top of that, the heat was really a problem. I had a problem to resist the heat during three sets. I found it very hard today. It's got nothing to do with the surface, it's got little to do with his tennis, but it's very difficult to be 100% with such heat.

Q. Why did you feel very tired?

RICHARD GASQUET: Middle of the second set, it was very hot. I was thinking, "Two and a half sets more," or, "Three sets more," and it was awful.

In the various tournaments I played before, the first two rounds, that didn't help me. He was physically stronger than I am. I have a lot to work on.

Q. Do you think if you work on it, you can be at the same level physically?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes, we have the same age. I think he's much more mature than I am physically. I haven't worked so much on my physical shape. We are the same age and I feel like a junior player and he's like a senior player. He is there 100% physically, which is not my case. I am not ready for such a situation.

Q. Do you think that he's the only one to return the sort of shots that he was returning?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes, yes. You have the feeling he's never tired. He's always there. He's running all over the place. It's very hard for the opponent.

Q. At the end of the second you called Bernard. What was the problem?

RICHARD GASQUET: Well, I was sure, because I knew I couldn't start again if I stopped too long. It's lack of habit on my side. It would have been very hard if I had stopped too long.

Q. Have you done that before?

RICHARD GASQUET: Well, it was total emergency, I tell you. It was an emergency.

Q. What was your mental state when you started the match, when you got to the court?

RICHARD GASQUET: I felt well, and I'm very happy with the tennis I've played for the last couple of months. Even if I lost today, I really enjoyed playing a big match on the central court. It has given me an idea of what I'm still missing.

I'm very happy with my last two months of tennis. I know it was difficult. I had to struggle on the court.

Q. You said that probably he could resist pressure more than you could.

RICHARD GASQUET: No, no, no. Not at all. The pressure wasn't the problem. It's purely physical. I didn't have any problem with the pressure or the tension.

Q. Since you were below him, don't you think you should not have played doubles?

RICHARD GASQUET: No, there was no problem yesterday. I didn't waste a lot of energy yesterday.

Q. Can you tell us what was your tactic in your mind before the match, and when did you realize that you could not really implement the tactic?

RICHARD GASQUET: Well, I know that I could move towards the net, but I could not physically keep the same game of serve and then net and back and forth. I just couldn't hold the rhythm. The more the match went on, the more difficult it was.

Q. The fact that you played against him in Monte‑Carlo, did that help?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes and no. No, not really. I know exactly how he plays, but you can know how the opponent is playing and that might not give you the weapons to win.

Q. Talking about your serve, your first serve was not as good as it was in Monte‑Carlo, for instance. Do you agree?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes. The heat again. The heat again. And it's very difficult to give all the energy in your first serve and then to carry on with the same intensity. I found it very difficult.

It was not possible for me today. I could not physically.

Q. What sort of memories are you going to keep from this Roland Garros?

RICHARD GASQUET: Well, I was a bit stressed before the first round. I was hoping to do my best. I'm very happy that I went to the third round. I lost against Nadal ‑ no shame to that.

I've been working the last couple of months only, but I had a break for two or three months, which didn't help. During the last couple of months, or two months which I worked, I think I played quite good tennis. So we'll see for the future.

Q. How do you see the Nadal‑Grosjean match?

RICHARD GASQUET: Well, he will run to the net, but it's going to be a difficult match.

Q. Are you going to rest now?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes, a few days. Just probably until I go to the grass tennis, to England.

Q. What do you have in mind?

RICHARD GASQUET: Queen's, Nottingham and Wimbledon.

Q. Do you like that surface?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yes, no problem. It's a good surface for me. I can serve, volley. I can play on grass very well, just as well as on clay. It's well adjusted to my game.

Q. Do you intend to watch the match, Grosjean‑Nadal?

RICHARD GASQUET: No tennis. I've had my share for this time. Maybe I will watch it on television.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English.

Q. It was a very hot day and the court was very fast and hard. He hits with such heavy topspin. Even at your height, was it difficult to hit the shots you wanted because the ball was constantly up around your shoulders?

RICHARD GASQUET: (Translated from French.) I'm not very tall myself, so it was very difficult for me. The height was really a problem. It was a really quick court today. Especially on the backhand, I had to face balls that were bouncing very high. I have problems with people that are better physically than I am. I have a great difficulty facing the rhythm.

Q. Your best moment was perhaps early in the second set when you broke back and hit two very strong backhand winners. What was your confidence level at that point?

RICHARD GASQUET: (Translated from French.) Well, yes, these were two fantastic backhands and I won a number of points there. But I knew it was going to be difficult to repeat such a success. It was the fruit of a lot of effort.

I knew after that, my energy would go down, which was the case.

Q. Of course this is a very big crowd. The crowd was excited even two days ago when this match was joined. How much did you feel the crowd today on the court, and did it help you at all?

RICHARD GASQUET: (Translated from French.) Yes, they did support me a lot. I was trying my best, but it was not easy. It was hot, and I found it extremely difficult. I could feel that he was much better physically than I was. I would have liked a court where the tennis would have been less fast and with less heat. I mean, that was the main problem. I would have loved to have given a better show to the public.

The Nadal one is very lovely also so might as well post it. He's so complimentary of Richard. I love the last question about what he said to Richard at net. So sweet

Q. Was it easier than you expected?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) Of course. Before the match, I can't think I won 6‑4, 6‑3, 6‑2, no? I think Gasquet and me, we have pression, and I think the pression ‑‑

(In Spanish.) I'll say it in Spanish or else I'll get in trouble. Pressure affected us both, and I think probably, with everything that has been said, he had more pressure than me.

(In English.) And I think I play really good today, no?

Q. Back to the final point of the second set where you had to make a difficult backhand shot with your back to the net. Can you describe it in your own words?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) I don't know. Is very important point. I can won the point, and that is very important, because I can won the second set, no? When I won the second set, the match is better for me, no?

Q. How difficult was it?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) I don't know. All points is difficult. This one is difficult for the point and is difficult for the moment, no?

Q. At the end of the match when you congratulated Gasquet, you put your arm around him and spoke to him. Could you tell us what you told Gasquet?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English) No. I ask him if he have any problem, any physical problem, because I see you a little bit tired. So he say to me, "No, I am okay. You play very well. Very good luck for the rest of tournament," no? We speak a little bit.

Q. In English, French or Spanish?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) In English (smiling). In my best English.

Q. How much did it make it easier for you that you were able to break him the first time he served in each set?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) Yeah, that's important because to begin the match with breaks is important for the ‑‑ ("tranquilita") to be calm.

Q. Now that you've had this first time Grand Slam meeting, the two of you, there will be more over the years, what is your feelings about the future of your rivalry?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) I don't know. I don't think so. Only Gasquet and me in the tour? We have lots of players ‑ Federer, Coria, Hewitt, not only this one, no? Normally in the next years, it's come back a lot of players, too, no? We not only have Gasquet and me.

Q. It was very hot today. The courts were very fast and hard.

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) Better for me, I think.

Q. How much more bounce did you get from the ball with your topspin today?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) Yeah, I think the weather is better for me because I can ‑‑ the ball is when touch, bounces, is go good up, and that is important for me, no? For my game, that very important.

THE MODERATOR: Any other English or French?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) No!

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish.

Q. Now that it's all over, this comparison with Gasquet, do you think there's another player who can be a rival of yours?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, as I say, I don't think that you should have a rivalry with one player because there are many players. There's no one special player to be your rival. I mean, I'm not the best person to compare myself with anyone. I think I'm just a player among others, and I try to play as best as I can. There's nothing else.

I mean, we all try to play our best tennis. I don't think there's a rivalry between two players specifically. I think we're all rivals. We all want to win.

Q. I want to ask you, what about those pants you wear? Do you wear them because you like them or because you're paid a lot of money to wear them?

RAFAEL NADAL: Neither reason.

Q. But why do you wear these long pants? They're really strange. Where did you get the idea? Do you think they'll be allowed in Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: But those trousers are white.

Q. One woman tried to dress in white and it was a problem.

RAFAEL NADAL: 50 years ago, everybody wore those types of pants.

Q. But not today. Don't you think it would be better to play with shorts?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I've been playing with these pants for some time. Nike decided I should wear them. Actually, I feel perfectly all right in them.

Q. And you've been winning a number of matches in them.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, that's not an excuse. I'm not going to start saying I've won or lost for reasons of heat or pants. I think these pants are extremely comfortable. I feel perfectly at ease. I don't think they're any different from shorts.

Q. This is a marketing idea by Nike?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, but I like them.

Q. Do you think there's been too much talk and too much written on this match beforehand?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think that probably there's been a sort of rivalry made up between myself and Gasquet, and I don't think that it exists. I think we're two young players. Obviously here in France, there's much talk about their very good players. I think probably he's going to be very soon in the Top 10.

We both try to play as best we can. There's been a lot of talk. Possibly he's been affected by the pressure as I have. The fact that he was playing at home was possibly an extra pressure for him. That might have affected him and favored me.

Q. You started your first victory with an excellent score, but you've been improving your tennis since.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, the fact that I won today, I'm of course delighted. This was not an easy match in any way. Of course I'm delighted with my game today in spite of all the pressure and everything that was being said about the match.

Q. What do you think made the difference in the end between you and him?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I was feeling quite strong out there on court. I think it was very difficult for him to make the point. We had very high shots, and a lot of players have problems with that. Gasquet is one of the best players on the tour.

But the fact that the clay was very dry today, the bounce was rather high, this might have been a problem for him. Because of these high shots, he might have lost a few points. That might have helped me dominate in this match, make him run around. This favored me.

Q. Today you've probably overcome a great hurdle. Is this a new tournament that's beginning?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I must say it was a difficult match. Well, I felt quite well previously, with Malisse in particular, but I was probably thinking too much about this particular match. After that I'll just take it one match at a time.

Each match is a different story. I'm improving my game day after day. I'll try to do my best. I know that in any case as time goes on in the tournament, the matches will get more difficult and I could lose at any time. It's not because I've won this match that everything is done. I'm very happy with my game, but I'm very aware of the fact that I can lose any time.

Q. Is there anything in your life that has affected you, some special place, when you were very young?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, Roland Garros is a very important tournament for me. It's one of the most important in the year, and I would love to play well here. But I don't remember anything that struck me especially. I've watched a lot of finals here since I was a kid, but I don't remember anything special. There was Courier, Corretja with Moya, Berasategui, there was Bruguera. I remember a number of finals I watched here, but nothing special. I've come here to try to do my own game and to get my own name on the list.

Q. Would you bet on a final Nadal‑Federer?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it can't be the final. Of course, the important thing is to reach the semifinal, which it would be against Federer. But I still have a few matches to get through. I don't like to think too far ahead. I don't even know about the next match. Is it Stepanek? Are they in the fifth set? Did Grosjean win? They're still playing? Is there a break?

Q. Federer was asked what he thought about the video, the cameras, for the replay.

RAFAEL NADAL: And he said he didn't like them, didn't he?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, personally, I don't see why not. I think it's a novelty. It's interesting to be able to ask the linesmen to show me what happened exactly. I think it can be an interesting innovation. But I think it's also possible that you can only do it three times during a set, because otherwise we'd be doing it all the time.

Q. 5‑4, Love‑30, you were serving. Of course, the crowd was all for Gasquet. How did you face the difficult points?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I had a similar situation in Monte‑Carlo. I was leading, then I lost a set, and in the end I lost the tiebreak. This time it was beginning to look pretty much the same. I was calm. I think I saved a few important points at Love‑30.

The first set was, of course, very important because there were difficult things, long rallies. I think this was actually good for me; it was important for me to win that first set.

Q. A comment about the crowd. Was it what you expected? Did you like it? Was it positive to have so many people with so many expectations around this match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I thought it was lovely. They obviously supported Gasquet. It's perfectly normal, of course. That, I completely understand. But there was never any lack of respect. I think that was wonderful.

I would like to actually thank the crowd for their wonderful participation.

Q. You spoke to Gasquet at the end of the match. What did you say to him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, now I'm going to be able to say it in Spanish. It's easier for me. I asked him whether he had a physical problem because I saw that he was rather tired at the end of the match. In spite of having lost three sets to love, he said nothing was wrong with him, that I'd played very well, wished me good luck. I congratulated him for his recent successes. He wished me good luck for the rest of the tournament.

We do get on very well. There's no problem between us. We're good friends.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #57
country flag Aleksa's Laydee

Aleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisgirl19
Q. At the end of the match when you congratulated Gasquet, you put your arm around him and spoke to him. Could you tell us what you told Gasquet?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English) No. I ask him if he have any problem, any physical problem, because I see you a little bit tired. So he say to me, "No, I am okay. You play very well. Very good luck for the rest of tournament," no? We speak a little bit.

Q. In English, French or Spanish?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) In English (smiling). In my best English.

Q. You spoke to Gasquet at the end of the match. What did you say to him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, now I'm going to be able to say it in Spanish. It's easier for me. I asked him whether he had a physical problem because I saw that he was rather tired at the end of the match. In spite of having lost three sets to love, he said nothing was wrong with him, that I'd played very well, wished me good luck. I congratulated him for his recent successes. He wished me good luck for the rest of the tournament.

We do get on very well. There's no problem between us. We're good friends.
aaawwwwwww how cute!!!

Dmitry Tursunov

*mmm sweaty hugs from dima *
[Faithful Mitya Slave]

Mardy Fish
[Big right back at ya dude]
Thomas Johansson
Jonas Bjorkman - Joachim Johansson - Simon Aspelin - Jiri Novak - Richard Gasquet
Andy Murray - Fernando Gonzalez - Max Mirnyi - Jan Michael Gambill
James Blake - Greg Rusedski - Alex Bogdanovic
Andrew Kennaugh & Michael Ryderstedt ♥
Aleksa's Laydee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:05 AM   #58
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

they are both the good guys. i like them so much.
match has been over, but the tennis is continuing, let's wait to see!
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #59
country flag Cindy19

Cindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond reputeCindy19 has a reputation beyond repute

i watched the match from the third set, and the TV repoter said: Rafa 2 sets advance..." i didn't believe that... and my called me and said( she is Rafa's fan):" hey, dear, your honey will lost the game, i'm sure!"
i was very very angry.
one match it doesn't mean anything!!!
Cindy19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:14 AM   #60
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to admit it, but I'm beginning to like Nadal. He seems like a genuinely nice person and has a great sense of humour (in front of the press at least ).
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote