Articles & Interviews - Page 179 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #2671
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
Three questions to Marine, morgan305, lilibel:
Quote:
[*]If Richie had not been French but -let's say - Bulgarian, would you have been his fans? Or do you root for Richie mainly because you have the same nationality/origin as him?
I root for him because he's french, yes. But I'm not a fan. I'm been following his career since he's 9 ! (and the famous cover of Tennis Magazine). His results interest me, cos I believed in him. Not anymore. Or at least less and less. Except some guys, I support all Frenchies. That's a problem ?
Quote:
[*]If the "Bulgarian" Richie had decided not to play the Olympic Games, would you have been so frustrated as you're now?
I couldn't have been so frustrated, cos I'm not bulgarian, but I do think every player should play the OG, and I don't understand when they say (american, swiss, other..whatever) they're not interested. Their arguments are not good.

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #2672
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Lilibel and Marine,
Thanks for answering my questions. I really do appreciate this.

I tend to agree with Schu's attitude. It's better to discuss and disagree without offending each other and mainly without insulting Richie. I should only add: "In English, please".
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #2673
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Question to the French fans -- Where has Francis (papa Gasquet) been? I would have expected to see/hear comments he may have made about Richie's withdrawal from RG or his decision not to play the Olympics. I don't think I've seen anything from him about either. Has anything been in the French press? Has the "new Richie" told his father to lay low (ie. keep his mouth shut) or is the press just not interested in this? Or have I just not seen anything?
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #2674
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Question to the French fans -- Where has Francis (papa Gasquet) been? I would have expected to see/hear comments he may have made about Richie's withdrawal from RG or his decision not to play the Olympics.
Frankly, I don't miss him.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #2675
country flag lenemie

lenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond reputelenemie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Question to the French fans -- Where has Francis (papa Gasquet) been? I would have expected to see/hear comments he may have made about Richie's withdrawal from RG or his decision not to play the Olympics. I don't think I've seen anything from him about either. Has anything been in the French press? Has the "new Richie" told his father to lay low (ie. keep his mouth shut) or is the press just not interested in this? Or have I just not seen anything?
Maybe his coach has something to do with this as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #2676
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Tuesday, 24 June 2008
Richard Gasquet def. Mardy Fish 6‑3, 6‑4, 6‑2

Q. Are you relieved to have gotten past a potentially dangerous first‑round opponent?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, it was really tough. When I saw the draw, I told my, it's really difficult. It's one of the toughest opponents I could play. Yeah, I played a really good match today.

No, I knew I played well in the practice. I had no pain with the knee, with everything. So I knew I was playing well. But I had to play a match. It's different.

But, yeah, I played a great match, for sure.

Q. And was it easier than you expected?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, for sure, because I was playing great. Today it was one of my best match maybe in the career. I was playing really good with my serve and my backhand. So it's important to play well with the serve and my backhand. It's important.

Q. With Tsonga and Monfils injured, do you feel you're carrying French hopes on your back here in Wimbledon?

RICHARD GASQUET: I don't care. For sure, I don't care. I have to play for myself, you know. It was difficult for me with my injuries, with everything. So it's not a big problem for me. I am sad for them because they are friend of mine, but it's not a big problem.

Q. Could you say that was one of the best matches you played since the quarterfinals here last year?

RICHARD GASQUET: It's different because it's a great player, but Roddick is one of the best players in the world. So is different. But I played a wonderful match, for sure.

Q. Nice to be back on Court 1?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I like to play on this court. No, but it's not because I played on Court 1 I played well, it's because I practiced well, I'm feeling good. For sure I played well. I like this court. Sure, I like to play in Wimbledon. But you never know. I could lose against him.

Q. Do you feel refreshed, having taken the break over the French Open? You withdrew quite late on. Do you think it was a good thing you did?

RICHARD GASQUET: I had no choice. I had a problem with the knee. It's not a good thing, you know. I didn't win a tournament. I didn't play well on clay court. It's bad for me. I prefer to win more matches before to play a Grand Slam.

But now for sure I'm fit. I'm ready for my next match.

Q. You looked in very good form at Queen's.

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, I have no injuries. I was really tired. I had injuries. I couldn't play well. In Queen's, I was feeling well. I could play some great matches. It was important before Wimbledon to play these matches well there in Queen's.

Q. Do you feel grass is your best surface?

RICHARD GASQUET: It's a good surface for me. Best, I don't know. I can play on hard court. I played great matches, too. But it's a good surface for my game for sure. Best, I don't know. One of the best for sure.

Q. Do you have any idea why it's good for your game?

RICHARD GASQUET: I serve well. I return well. It's important on this court, you know. So maybe that's why.

Q. Based on today's performance, do you think you can repeat your good result here last year?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, for sure I can. I can play a good tournament. For sure I'm feeling good. We will see in two days. But I can play a great tournament, yes.

Q. Sébastien Grosjean next. You must know each other quite well.

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, it's a tough opponent. He didn't play a lot because he had injuries, for sure. But he's a tough opponent. He's so talented. He was one of the best player in the world before. So it will be a great match for me.

Source: http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...311965890.html

Richie, I love your tennis, but your interviews never change.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #2677
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Q. Do you have any idea why it's good for your game?

RICHARD GASQUET: I serve well. I return well. It's important on this court, you know. So maybe that's why.
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #2678
country flag cesca

cesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond repute

Well we know he doesn't like the interviews but how many times did he say 'for sure' in that one?!
cesca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #2679
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute

I found this nice piece/description of Richard's match today against Fish by Steve Tignor of Tennis.com

He was always generally very respective and appreciative of Richard's game... while others critiqued him badly, he remained more or less quiet... he showed a lot of insight today:

"Richard Gasquet vs. Mardy Fish, Court 1
I walk in with Gasquet up 2-1. The first shot I see is a casual flick forehand by Fish into the net. It only gets worse for the American from there.

Gasquet later said this was “one of the best matches maybe of my career.” You can see it brewing early. He hits a sharp, confident overhead to break for 3-1, sends a rocket backhand for a winner for 15-0 in the next game, makes it 30-0 with a creative drop shot-pass combination, and holds for 4-1 with an ace. On the first point of the next game he runs to his left and hooks a jumping backhand pass for another scary winner. The Microwave is on. High.

It’s clear after five games that Gasquet, whatever the struggles and confusions of his season thus far, feels at home on grass. Watching him take a skidding approach off his shoetops and dip it back at Fish’s feet, I can only conclude that the quick surface—the grass here doesn't look all that slow; the biggest difference from the past is the lack of bad bounces—allows him not to think, but react instinctively. Say what you will about Gasquet’s toughness, he is a natural, instinctive tennis player of the highest order, much like that other lover of grass, Roger Federer.

Gasquet is also superstitious. Before returning serve, he taps one toe just inside the baseline. It seems to be helping today, as he’s confident enough to assert his game. On most days, Gasquet is content to sit far behind the baseline and try to create from a defensive position. This is common among his generation—Monfils, Querrey, and Murray all try to punch from a counterpuncher’s crouch, with their backs almost literally against the wall. It’s not the most practical strategy: Their colleague Novak Djokovic has had more success playing farther forward in the court. Against Fish, though, Gasquet dictates with authority. At 4-2, he hits two big serves to go up 30-0 and cracks a forehand winner to hold.

He’s just as good at 5-3. Gasquet rallies with tremendous length and topspin for 15-0, whips a forehand pass for 30-15, and puts a backhand pass on the line for 40-30. Here he either gets cocky or nervous, serving and volleying for the first time and losing the point. But he comes back with two strong serves to win the set. As I’m leaving, I see more of the same—Gasquet breaks Fish in the opening game with a backhand pass that lasers down on the back of the baseline. Fish looks up at the sky. No one can help him today.

I ask Gasquet in his presser if he thinks grass is his best surface. “I don’t know," he says. "It’s a good surface for my game, for sure.”

I ask why that might be. He has no clue. “I serve well. I return well. It’s important on this court. So maybe that’s why.”

Gasquet has never been articulate, at least in English. He often seems surprised or flummoxed when asked to analyze his game. This may hurt him when things don’t go well on court; he looks flummoxed in those situations as well. But on grass he doesn’t have to worry. He can do what he does best: Put the racquet on the ball and let them both fly. "

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewr...le-of-thr.html

I like last couple of sentenced the best
Vlad1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #2680
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad1980 View Post
He can do what he does best: Put the racquet on the ball and let them both fly. "
I just watched his match, had to stop when he broke Fishin the first game of the second set, when he did exactly that. There is a reason why we like him.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #2681
country flag Puschkin

R. Gasquet Interview - 26 June
R. GASQUET/S. Grosjean (Retired)

Q. What did he say to you at the end of the match?

RICHARD GASQUET: Like he couldn't continue the match because he was injured. I saw it at the end of the second set. He couldn't run so good, so it was a little bit difficult for him. I was playing well, too, so ‑‑ it was a little bit too much for him, and his body wasn't ready for the match.

Q. Because he had a problem at Queen's Club, the same problem?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, so I told him to recover, to take time to recover.

Q. So you were sympathetic?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, he's a friend, a French guy.

Q. He likes playing on grass?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah.

Q. Likes being in London?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah. He's a really good player. He played great in Wimbledon five years ago or four, I don't remember when. But he's a really good player and I'd love to play a good match against him, but he was injured today.

Q. Two semifinals here so he has a good record here?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah.

Q. So that was a little bit of a surprise to have a win, to walk over? A bit of a surprise?

RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, it's not a lot. It's maybe my second time a guy has retired against me, so that's not usual. But sometimes it's good to have an easy round.

Source: http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...510546921.html

they get weirder and weirder, his interviews.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Last edited by Puschkin : 06-26-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #2682
country flag cesca

cesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond reputecesca has a reputation beyond repute

Bless his cottons. A question for the fluent French-speakers here as I'm not really good enough (yet)- Are his interviews in French as odd? Sometimes I wonder if English is the major barrier or if Richard is generally not good at analysis/expressing himself (as Steve Tignor suggests)
cesca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #2683
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesca View Post
Bless his cottons. A question for the fluent French-speakers here as I'm not really good enough (yet)- Are his interviews in French as odd? Sometimes I wonder if English is the major barrier or if Richard is generally not good at analysis/expressing himself (as Steve Tignor suggests)
That depends. He is of course more articulate in French, occasionally he throws in very funny comments or phrases, but even in French, he gives little of himself as a person. However, I think -in contrast to this journalist - he is perfectly capable to analyse his game, but he might not want to talk about it to the press.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 06-27-2008, 02:32 AM   #2684
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what FIsh said about Richard after first round match:

"I saw someone extremely confident on this surface,'' said Fish, who like Blake has never advanced past the third round here. "He serves extremely well and he takes an absolute crack at the first ball. He bombs the serve and if he doesn't get you stretched out then, he's perfectly content to loop the ball back and start over and be patient.

"He served out wide, so I sat on that, then he hit a 135 mph serve on the T. I was fine with the way I played. He played above and beyond what I expected. He has points to defend here and if he doesn't, he's going to be nowhere near the top 10. I think he's desperate, and he took it out on me.''
Vlad1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #2685
country flag juvvi

juvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond repute

yes vlad, I like the fish match than the one against Grosjean. I always thought he could beat this Fish guy, but I have stopped talking about it, because whenever I spell it out loud, Richard loses matches in bunches and I feel bad.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
juvvi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote