World Cup 2014 Brazil - Congrats to Germany - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #46
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup 2014 Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
2002 was a disaster for anyone in Europe, barring a totally (supposely) weak Germany.

98 we were totally robbed against Germany in the qualies and that was the reason we missed it. Still it is the last time we missed a competition.

You are also forgetting European championships.

Portugal in last 17 years:

England 96: QF (lost to eventual finalist)
France 98: DNQ
Belgium/holland 2000: SF (lost to eventual winner)
Japan/South Korea 2002: Group Stage (terrible in all aspects)
Portugal 2004: Finalist
Germany 2006: SF
Switzerland/Austria 2008: QF
South Africa 2010: Last 16 (lost against eventual winners 1-0 with an offside goal)
Poland/Ukraine 2012: SF (lost against eventual winners in PK)

With a good draw (avoiding Spain until the final would be a good start) we can definetly win the whole thing. We are not the favourites thought. Brazil, Spain and Germany are in the upper tier. then comes Italy, France, Argentina, Portugal, Holland (no specific order). Dark Horses are Belgium, Russia and Nigeria.
Italy was doing good in 2002 until the joke match vs Korea. Could've easily won that. Portugal did well at some Euros, specially 2000 when you could've won it if it wasn't for that stupid hand in the last minute vs France (still can't believe that), but I was thinking about World Cups. Thinking you can win it is too optimistic given you finished below Russia in the qualification, but you can reach QF (even SF with a good draw).
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #47
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Yeah, the funny thing is they drew the other 2 matches it seems they were out but managed to beat a tanking Brazil (2 goals in the last 5 mins, something like that).
I watched it on a family holiday in the Cote d'Azur. Morocco coach Henri Michel was absolutely RAGING on the touchline when he heard the result from the Brazil game, as his Morocco team were heading through France '98 was a quality tournament.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #48
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Belgium and Colombia are excellent teams but untried at this level so I still think unseeded teams would like to get them over any of the others bar Switzerland who are clearly the weakest top seed.

Because France are in the African pot you could end up with:

Brazil/Argentina
USA
France
Italy/Netherlands
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #49
country flag Goatdal
Banned!

Goatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond reputeGoatdal has a reputation beyond repute

Favorites?

1) Brazil
2) Germany
3) Angentina/Spain
4) Netherlands/Italy
5) Portugal

I dont see any other country taking this. Zero Chances for France, less than zero for England.
Goatdal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #50
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it a bit surprising that I'm not seeing Brazil or Germany being mentioned much, Italy too, Uruguay might have the tools for another deep run.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #51
country flag PedroMarquess

PedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Like in 2002 right? You were even favorites, not even dark horses. Portugal has always been underachieving lately, 2006 aside, of course. The worst of all was in 98', with golden generation at it's peak you didn't even qualify.

Favorites are IMO:

-Germany
-Spain
-Argentina

In that order, but it's close between the 3, Germany has the best team and squad at the moment probably, but Spain has been winning everything and Argentina has the best player in the world.

Brazil is a bit below them. Unfortunately for them they host the World Cup with their worst squad in a looooooooong time. Long gone are the Ronaldos, Romarios, Rivaldos, Ronaldinhos, etc. Kaka is way past it and the only world class star is Neymar.

Italy and Netherlands will have a chance too, but I don't think they have what it takes to win it.

England and France will flop...again.
Why Argentina? Your defence isn't good enough, it'll be the same old story. Even more funny is Germany being the favourite at every competion since 2006 and losing them all.

There is one favourite, Spain, and that's it. But it's obvious that Portugal won't win, we're chokers and this side don't have the same quality of the ones from some years ago.
PedroMarquess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #52
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond repute

For me it is betweeen Brazil, Spain, Germany and Italy for the title. Netherlands and Argentina could win it if everything breaks there way. I would be absolutely shocked if anyone else won it. Plenty of countries such as Ghana, Chile, Belgium and Portugal could make semis but surprise semi-finalists almost never make the Final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #53
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the Latin American teams should fare well here, as they are more used to the conditions that they will face.

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #54
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMarquess View Post
Why Argentina? Your defence isn't good enough, it'll be the same old story. Even more funny is Germany being the favourite at every competion since 2006 and losing them all.

There is one favourite, Spain, and that's it. But it's obvious that Portugal won't win, we're chokers and this side don't have the same quality of the ones from some years ago.
The defense can be good enough if Sabella starts the right players, but he won't, so you're right there. But if they manage to not fuck it up it may be enough with Messi, Aguero, Di María, etc. We'll see. It's true Germany hasn't won anything in a while, but they always go far, and they have a great team at the moment. Spain is probably still the #1, but winning Euro-WC-Euro-WC would be insane, they have to stop at some point. And you're right about Portugal, if you didn't win Euro 2004 I don't know when you'll be able to finally win a major tournament.

Last edited by BauerAlmeida : 11-20-2013 at 02:02 AM.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #55
country flag Pablo23

Pablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond repute

Uruguay to win it all!

haha. Spain/Brazil are the favourites imo. The other "big" countries are a step behind. I like ze Germans a lot, but they have made a habit of faltering in the end, so...

Roger Federer - Stan Wawrinka - Jerzy Janowicz - Lleyton Hewitt - Dominic Thiem - David Goffin

TT Singles [Rank: #122 / Best Rank: #122] [ Titles: - ] [ Finals: ATP Bastad '14 - Kaohsiung 14' ]
TT Doubles [Rank: #140 / Best Rank: #140] [ Titles: León '14 ] [ Finals: New Delhi - Busan - Pune 14' ] --> with MachineGun

ST [Rank: #64 / Best Rank: #64] [Titles: Kuala Lumpur 14' - M1000 Shanghai 14' ]
Pablo23 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #56
country flag PedroMarquess

PedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The defense can be good enough if Sabella starts the right players, but he won't, so you're right there. But if they manage to not fuck it up it may be enough with Messi, Aguero, Di María, etc. We'll see. It's true Germany hasn't won anything in a while, but they always go far, and they have a great team at the moment. Spain is probably still the #1, but winning Euro-WC-Euro-WC would be insane, they have to stop at some point. And you're right about Portugal, if you didn't win Euro 2004 I don't know when you'll be able to finally win a major tournament.
I think that Argentina lacks more competent people in charge, I mean you have lots of talented guys but I see guys like Rojo always there, then guys like Otamendi who did a good seasson last year was never called, (strange since he is better than Rojo) this seasson Otamendi is in the worst form of his carrer and is called
Then you have Garay that is a good player but hardly good enough for a team that wants to win the World Cup, your GK does a lot of mistakes too. Who are the players that can make Argentina defence good enough?
PedroMarquess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #57
country flag Pablo23

Pablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond repute

well, Argentina are quite weak in defense. Thing is, we've gone too far now with Romero as starting goalie.
It would have been nice to see Orion/Andújar or even Barovero playing a relevant match, to give them a chance. But now? When we have **** left 'til the WC? Nah.
The Defence could be better. I don't mind Garay at all, but Rojo he's not bad, but, we could have tried Ansaldi, or even better Insúa at Left Back.
At center-half some calls have been bizarre (Basanta lol), Otamendi might have been crap this year, but at least he's shown promise before. I hope Coloccini starts at the WC (always liked him)

Roger Federer - Stan Wawrinka - Jerzy Janowicz - Lleyton Hewitt - Dominic Thiem - David Goffin

TT Singles [Rank: #122 / Best Rank: #122] [ Titles: - ] [ Finals: ATP Bastad '14 - Kaohsiung 14' ]
TT Doubles [Rank: #140 / Best Rank: #140] [ Titles: León '14 ] [ Finals: New Delhi - Busan - Pune 14' ] --> with MachineGun

ST [Rank: #64 / Best Rank: #64] [Titles: Kuala Lumpur 14' - M1000 Shanghai 14' ]

Last edited by Pablo23 : 11-20-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: lol missed words.
Pablo23 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #58
country flag Cloren

Cloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Let it be a feast of exciting football. South Africa was a bit of a borefest and only Germany really thrilled.

1994 USA World Cup that was the GOAT tournament.

Brazil, Spain and Germany favourites. Italy next, then Argentina and the Netherlands. Long gap from there...
I hope so too, South Africa was quite boring. I also hope Sain isn't the winner, they play such boring football imo. Hope its one of the South American teams or Italy.
Cloren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #59
country flag J99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Let it be a feast of exciting football. South Africa was a bit of a borefest and only Germany really thrilled.

1994 USA World Cup that was the GOAT tournament.

Brazil, Spain and Germany favourites. Italy next, then Argentina and the Netherlands. Long gap from there...
I kinda disagree just because the final was a borefest.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #60
country flag justafanYYC

justafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, the funny thing is they drew the other 2 matches it seems they were out but managed to beat a tanking Brazil (2 goals in the last 5 mins, something like that).
Morocco are still crying over that.
2013 CH Yeongwol (outdoor hard)
2011 CH Samarkand (outdoor clay)

Doubles: 45
Championships:
2013 Masters 1000 Montreal (w/joe87) (outdoor hard)
2014 ATP 250 Casablanca (w/joe87) (outdoor clay)
2012 Special Olympic Tournament London (w/traddles) (outdoor grass)
justafanYYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote