MTF Most Knowledgeable Poster of the Year [INTRO] [CANCELLED] - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default MTF Most Knowledgeable Poster of the Year [INTRO] [CANCELLED]

I've been running this idea in my head for about 6 months now. I propose a new competition for MTF's off-season where quality posting is crowned.

The MTF Most Knowledgeable Poster of the Year format will work like this:

1. Candidates are proposed for one week (anyone is accepted) within the competition.
2. The accepted candidates are entered into 8 groups for the Quote Round and the competition begins.

THE QUOTE ROUND:
3. Each group is played for 24 hours. Within the group, anyone except the target candidate is allowed to present a quote from a post made by the target candidate in which he/she shows tennis knowledge or shows lack of tennis knowledge. The vote will look like this:

X - TENNIS KNOWLEDGE - PROOF:

Quote:
Y - LACK OF TENNIS KNOWLEDGE - PROOF:

Quote:
4. The vote can be given by anyone on the forum except the target candidate. But he/she is allowed to vote only once for a knowledgeable candidate and once for a not-knowledgeable candidate from each group. And may only present ONE quote for each category.
5. The presented quote(s) must be from a post made within THIS year and is only accepted once. Beware of subjectivity and fan hate though. Quotes presented with subjective intentions will not be validated as points.
6. For each knowledgeable quote a poster receives 1 point and for each lack of knowledge quote a competitor loses 1 point.
7. At the end of the phase, the top candidate from each group advances to the next Round, the Challenge.

THE CHALLENGE ROUND:
8. The 8 candidates are pitted against each other, like in a tennis match, in a random selection. All matches are played at the same time, in 4 parallel threads.
9. In each match lasting 48 hours, one candidate begins by assigning a question to the other candidate and a time limit larger than 20 minutes for receiving an answer.
10. The question must be related to tennis in 2013 obviously and should be designed to put the adversary in difficulty. The question will look like this:

QUESTION:

TIME LIMIT: 22 minutes

11. Once the question is answered, the competitor answering the previous question continues with another question towards the other candidate and the cycle repeats.
12. Each candidate is allowed 2 daily breaks of a maximum of 12 hours each, and they have to announce it publicly while no question is asked towards them. Also, candidates can announce Timeouts. They are allowed 3 such timeouts lasting no more than 1 hour.
13. At the end of the 48 hours, anyone from the forum can present impressions as to which candidate did better than the other and must present a case motivating why.
14. Again, votes MUST only have an objective remark on the target candidate, and only one vote/match from the same poster is accepted.
15. The voting stage will last another 24 hours.
16. The 4 winners of each challenge advance to THE FINAL ROUND.

THE FINAL ROUND:
17. Within a time frame of 48 hours, any non-competitor on the forum can step in and name one player from the Top 100 of the 2013 YE rankings and one target competitor from the final 4.
19. The target competitor will be forced to describe everything about 2013 for that player: game, progress, playing style and most significant results within the year within a time frame (> 1 hour) given by the asking poster.
20. The style of posting is decided by the competitor and he/she is free to use humor or any other technique with no cost to objectivity.
21. Rule 12 applies to the competitors in this round as well.
22. A post asking competitor X about Tommy Haas would look like this:

FOR X - PLAYER: Tommy Haas
TIME LIMIT: 1 hour

23. Once a target candidate is asked about a player, no other reports are accepted within the time frame given by the non-competitor.
24. After the answer is given, the non-competitor decides if the report has been satisfactory or not, and will rate it from 1 to 10. Objectivity is mandatory.
25. After a player receives a rating, he/she is again eligible for another question from another non-competitor.
26. The ratings will NOT be given inside any post and will not be made public. The rating will be given to the competition organizers so that nothing is known about the progress of any of the 4 competitors.
27. The non-competitor will inform the general population inside the competition thread that a rating has been given and that the competitor is now free to answer another question about another player.
28. The same player will not be used for another competitor or the same competitor within the final round.
29. At the end, the competitor with the most points is proclaimed MTF MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE POSTER OF THE YEAR.

30. Candidates are allowed to retire once they are nominated as per Rule 1. Non-competitors not following the rules of the game or of the forum may not participate in any section of the competition.

I am gonna need the help of 2 others with organizing this competition though, so anyone who wants to help is welcome to PM me please, so that we can keep a 24 hour watch.
Also, the help of Moderators and Admins is more than welcome.
Suggestions as to time period modifications or other small modifications are welcome within the next 2 weeks.
The start of the candidate selection is scheduled for November 25.
Quote Round: December 2.
Challenge Round: December 10.
Final Round: December 14.
Winner Announced: December 16.

This competition has been approved by the Moderator team. No nominations are allowed until November 25.

Last edited by Slasher1985 : 11-18-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MTF Most Knowledgeable Poster of the Year [INTRO]

Great idea
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a good idea, but you're making it to complex, which may make some people lose interest in it. Something like the ACC format would be better IMO.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

As long as an unbiased analyst wins then it's a legit contest.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

too much work to do.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

kind of complicated. why don't we just go ahead and vote Statsracket we know he will probably win

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

My brain hurts. I'd rather conduct a PhD thesis.

"Thank you very much for letting me win"
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Litotes, StatRacket or Voo De Mar would probs win
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute

This is a little like sacrificing Jeux Sans Frontieres in favour of Mastermind.

(Apologies to those who are not familiar with these TV game shows, but look in Wikipedia and you will see what I mean)
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Litotes, StatRacket or Voo De Mar would probs win
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Pfl has an unbeatable knowlegde of talented shotmakers outside the top 100. He should be the favourite.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

I am nominating myself
samanosuke is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

This is going to be impossible. GM alone has thousands of knowledgable, unbiased and pure tennis connoisseurs.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you'll find enough unbiased analysts around here who know their stuff.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote