2014 Aussie Summer wildcard discussion. - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #46
country flag Redline

Redline is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2014 Aussie Summer wildcard discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southend Aussies View Post
Groth has said he will enter Brisbane and start his season there. He only entered Noumea last year because he was pretty much out of qualifying with no wildcard. I assume he either has a MDWC or a QWC.
I know my point was some others should do the same this year rather than not play at all in the first week of the season.
Redline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #47
country flag Redline

The final Brisbane wildcard has gone to Groth. Some talk Mitchell, J P Smith, Reid and Barton will miss the qualifying cutoff so some tough decisions ahead.

Saville, Thompson, Whittington and Bolt are playing Noumea.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #48
country flag grimilan

grimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
The final Brisbane wildcard has gone to Groth. Some talk Mitchell, J P Smith, Reid and Barton will miss the qualifying cutoff so some tough decisions ahead.

How many Qualifying wildcards are there for Brisbane?
grimilan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #49
country flag Chilenaitor

Chilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond reputeChilenaitor has a reputation beyond repute

Groth!! very happy for him..
maybe a QWC for Mitchell, Reid and Barton? i think they arent reserved yet
Chilenaitor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #50
country flag Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimilan View Post
How many Qualifying wildcards are there for Brisbane?
4QWC for Brisbane.Id say Tennis Austrlia would like to give Kokkinakis a go so hopefully not everyone turns up that they are expecting and a few of the Aussie sneak in with their ranking.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #51
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post

Interesting lead-up for a guy who has AO WC.

Good choice on Groth
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #52
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Oliver Anderson is playing as stand in for Seppi in Hopman Cup mixed doubles. Great experience for him to be on court with a former #1 doubles player in Pennetta and current TOP 5 singles player in Radwanska.

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #53
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Grzegorz Panfil should get at AO WC (into qualifying at least), after his performance at the Hopman Cup. Having replaced Jerzy Janowicz, who pulled out due to minor foot surgery, Panfil (ranked 288) beat the worls No.11 Milos Raonic 75(1) 63 last night, outserving the big Canadian and smashing fore-hand winners all over the court.

Well played Panfils. There are a hundred Challenger/Futures players out there like him who could be top 100. It is just performing at that level every day that they have to master.

Darren Cahill was a relevation in his assessment in the depth of Men's tennis. Also in his observation that the prize-money at Panfil's level has not increased in 20 years. A disgusting fact which the ITF should be ashamed of.
Cahill also observed that Panfil (and all the player's at his level) make a loss every year playing tennis.
The ITF should address this fact. We need a forum to express this view and get a groundswell of opinion to get the Futures prizemoney increased.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #54
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
Grzegorz Panfil should get at AO WC (into qualifying at least), after his performance at the Hopman Cup. Having replaced Jerzy Janowicz, who pulled out due to minor foot surgery, Panfil (ranked 288) beat the worls No.11 Milos Raonic 75(1) 63 last night, outserving the big Canadian and smashing fore-hand winners all over the court.

Well played Panfils. There are a hundred Challenger/Futures players out there like him who could be top 100. It is just performing at that level every day that they have to master.

Darren Cahill was a relevation in his assessment in the depth of Men's tennis. Also in his observation that the prize-money at Panfil's level has not increased in 20 years. A disgusting fact which the ITF should be ashamed of.
Cahill also observed that Panfil (and all the player's at his level) make a loss every year playing tennis.
The ITF should address this fact. We need a forum to express this view and get a groundswell of opinion to get the Futures prizemoney increased.
I thought that even after his match against Seppi. To come in for Janowicz for the tournament and miss out on potential ranking points in Chennai - he should be given an opportunity in a ranking tournament here in Australia.

HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Old 12-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #55
country flag Redline

Surely with his win today and qualifying for Brisbane, Kokkinakis has a main draw AO wildcard sealed up. Mitchell has had an okay year but has had a few chances to seal one himself and not been able to. I like Ben but I can't see him progressing past Challenger level, Kokkinakis on the other hand has the game to progress.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #56
Dmitry Verdasco

Results should be rewarded and Kokkinakis and Barty should have their MDWCs sewn up

Old 12-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #57
country flag VAMOS!!

VAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond repute

Matosevic vs Benneteau is shortening my life span by the minute.
TITLES
SINGLES: 2014 Nottingham CH
DOUBLES: 2014 Poitiers Futures (w/Derevko)

Baghdatis ~ Dimitrov ~ Dolgopolov ~ Duckworth ~ Federer ~ Groth ~ Gulbis ~ Hewitt ~ Kokkinakis ~ Kubler
Kyrgios ~ Matosevic ~ Millman ~ Mitchell ~ Saville ~ Thompson ~ Tomic ~ Verdasco ~ Wawrinka
VAMOS!! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #58
Dmitry Verdasco

He won

Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #59
country flag Redline

Just looking at the Sydney wildcard stuation. Tomich has one and I think Matosevic and Ebden will get the other two. Tomich however may end up getting direct entry which opens the door for one to go to either Kyrgios (if fit), Duckworth, Thompson, Groth or Mitchell. Kokkinakis is playing in Adelaide.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #60
country flag ogre

ogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
But who pays for this increased futures prize money? In the end tennis is an activity most of us do for the enjoyment alone. There is the noble idea that artisans in anything should be sponsored so they can focus on their art and nothing else, but the same problem occurs with the aspirants in any area. Most actors who have not broken the big time cannot make a living either.

So where does the money come from to provide a good living for aspiring sports players and entertainers? From taxes?

In the end the only commercial way is to get people interested in futures and challengers so that there are sponsors and gate takings to provide a living for the players.

That people are deserving just because the wish to make the top as a tennis player while no one wishes to pay to watch them seems a frightening concept for society. Where does it stop? Why not artists that people will not but paintings from? Cannot most of society declare they are an artisan of some type just as worthy?
ogre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote