2014 Aussie Summer wildcard discussion. - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-22-2013, 03:08 AM   #31
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2014 Aussie Summer wildcard discussion.

There is a few guys ranked above that obviously won't be attending like Malisse, Troicki, Nalbandian etc... just off the top of my head. Plus no doubt some will pull out with injury. Hopefully Barton makes it on his own and is fit.
Daniel. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #32
country flag Redline

Redline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by millmania View Post
They don't generally announce the discretionary WCs until just before the tournament.

My view - Duckworth and Kyrgios are certainties, assuming they don't enter the playoffs. I think Kokkinakis will get one as well, though I'd prefer him to get a QWC and have the main draw spots given to higher ranked players.

I'd say Groth is now the favourite for the last MDWC position given his form in the USA - he's moved ahead of Kyrgios in the rankings. Mitchell and Reid have age on their side but are much lower ranked, and neither has had a good enough season to justify the MDWC.

I'll also open a discussion about the qualifying wild cards. Last year, Tennis Australia gave out 7 QWCs. Assuming a qualifying cutoff of 250 and Kokkinakis in the main draw, my picks would be (assuming none of these players win the playoff):

Mitchell (will probably just miss out on direct entry into qualies)
Thompson (just outside the top 300, in fantastic form in the Aussie tournaments)
Bolt (hasn't had a great year, but held in high regard by TA)
Whittington (won a Futures tournament, made the final of another)
Saville (I was unsure about him but he's picked up towards the end of the year and his junior results will still carry some weight)
Mott (impressive in the Aussie tournaments, I think he's going to have a big year in 2014)
Feeney (given his age I'm least sure about Feeney, but I don't know if there's anyone else banging down the door and he was given a QWC last year)

What do you guys think? 2012 and 2013 had some interesting selections but I think this year it's more clear-cut, thanks to a solid older group (Reid, Smith, Jones) getting direct entry and a lot of young players climbing up the rankings.
I'd agree with all of the above. Like you say Feeney would be borderline for a qualifying wildcard, his spot might be taken by whoever wins the U18 Championships. I don't see how they can give the fourth wildcard to anyone but Groth, He is a bit older but playing the best tennis he has in his career and consistently competing well. Assuming Kokkinakis, Kyrigios and Duckworth get the other three.

Looking at the other events assuming they all go to Australians which I realise that may not happen.

In Brisbane I'd think main draw wildcards should go to to Kyrgios, Duckworth and Groth. That is assuming Ebden gets in, if they use the wildcard I have allocated to Groth on an international player then Groth would make the qualifying cut off. The qualifying cut off last year was 209 so I'd give the four available to Reid, Mitchell, Barton and Kokkinakis. Hopefully the cut off is a bit lower this year.

In Sydney based on last years cut off I'd give wildcards to Tomich, Matosevic and Ebden. Kyrigios and Duckworth and others would have to play qualifying. The qualifying cut off was much lower than Brisbane at 381. If they didn't make it in then I'd give the wildcards to Whittington, Saville, Mott and perhaps Feeney. Obviously if the cut off is higher then players like Bolt, Thompson and Barton would get them instead.
Redline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
country flag scotthongkong

scotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond repute

The Sydney organisers usually give two wildcards for qualifying to the winner and runner up from the Manly Seaside Championships played from Boxing Day onwards.
scotthongkong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #34
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Not on the AO Wild Card but an interesting stat about the ATP 100:

The ageing game of professional tennis:

There are 30 players aged 30 or older in the ATP100 (rankings dated 26Nov13)
and only 16 players younger than 25 years old.

The remaining players (54 in total) are aged between 25 -30 years old.

There is only 1 player younger than 21 - Jiri Vesely (ATP85 - 10Jul83) in the top 100 and no teenagers.
(Tomic is now over 21 years old - and the only player that age in the top 100 (Harrison and Sock are just outside top 100))

The highest ranked teenager is Aussie Nick Kyrgios at ATP183 (the only teenager in the top 200).

It's an old man's game now.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #35
country flag millmania

millmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They don't generally announce the discretionary WCs until just before the tournament.

I'll also open a discussion about the qualifying wild cards. Last year, Tennis Australia gave out 7 QWCs. Assuming a qualifying cutoff of 250 and Kokkinakis in the main draw, my picks would be (assuming none of these players win the playoff):

Mitchell (will probably just miss out on direct entry into qualies)
Thompson (just outside the top 300, in fantastic form in the Aussie tournaments)
Bolt (hasn't had a great year, but held in high regard by TA)
Whittington (won a Futures tournament, made the final of another)
Saville (I was unsure about him but he's picked up towards the end of the year and his junior results will still carry some weight)
Mott (impressive in the Aussie tournaments, I think he's going to have a big year in 2014)
Feeney (given his age I'm least sure about Feeney, but I don't know if there's anyone else banging down the door and he was given a QWC last year)
The qualifying entry list is out and Mitchell is 2nd alt, but Duckworth, Groth and Kyrgios are still on the list - all three will almost definitely get main draw WCs, as will Thompson as the playoff winner. That means Mitchell won't need a QWC (in fact, I'd say he's now favourite for the last main draw WC).

Feeney has retired, so he's no longer on the list. This leaves Bolt, Whittington and Saville (and to a slightly lesser extent Mott) as certainties (young enough and ranked highly enough). Kokkinakis will also get one if TA gives Mitchell the main draw WC.

That leaves 2 spots if Kokkinakis doesn't get a main draw WC, or 3 if he does. My picks at this stage are Propoggia (on ranking) and Santillan (age and that big win against Reid at the playoff), with the last spot, if available, going to any one of Van Peperzeel (on ranking)/Mousley/Bourchier/Grills/other young player.
millmania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #36
country flag VAMOS!!

VAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The qualifying entry list is out and Mitchell is 2nd alt, but Duckworth, Groth and Kyrgios are still on the list - all three will almost definitely get main draw WCs, as will Thompson as the playoff winner. That means Mitchell won't need a QWC (in fact, I'd say he's now favourite for the last main draw WC).

Feeney has retired, so he's no longer on the list. This leaves Bolt, Whittington and Saville (and to a slightly lesser extent Mott) as certainties (young enough and ranked highly enough). Kokkinakis will also get one if TA gives Mitchell the main draw WC.

That leaves 2 spots if Kokkinakis doesn't get a main draw WC, or 3 if he does. My picks at this stage are Propoggia (on ranking) and Santillan (age and that big win against Reid at the playoff), with the last spot, if available, going to any one of Van Peperzeel (on ranking)/Mousley/Bourchier/Grills/other young player.
Woah woah woah, Feeney retired?! When & why??
TITLES
SINGLES: 2014 Nottingham CH
DOUBLES: 2014 Poitiers Futures (w/Derevko)

Baghdatis ~ Dimitrov ~ Dolgopolov ~ Duckworth ~ Federer ~ Groth ~ Gulbis ~ Hewitt ~ Kokkinakis ~ Kubler
Kyrgios ~ Matosevic ~ Millman ~ Mitchell ~ Saville ~ Thompson ~ Tomic ~ Verdasco ~ Wawrinka
VAMOS!! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #37
country flag millmania

millmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond reputemillmania has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMOS!! View Post
Woah woah woah, Feeney retired?! When & why??
Article here: http://acelandtennis.com.au/news/418...e-feeling.html.
millmania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #38
country flag VAMOS!!

VAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for providing the link.

That's a shame. Wish him the best in the future.
TITLES

Baghdatis ~ Dimitrov ~ Dolgopolov ~ Duckworth ~ Federer ~ Groth ~ Gulbis ~ Hewitt ~ Kokkinakis ~ Kubler
Kyrgios ~ Matosevic ~ Millman ~ Mitchell ~ Saville ~ Thompson ~ Tomic ~ Verdasco ~ Wawrinka
Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #39
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Can we take a minute to talk about the 'new and improved' Tennis Australia website? What the fuck is that shit? Maybe spend a little less on the Newcombe Medal next year and invest a little more on the website. Looks like the web designers are about as world class as our tennis players

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #40
country flag VAMOS!!

Oh, so true!!

I can't comprehend how the main page doesn't even feature the headlines. If it did, maybe, just MAYBE, I would find it tolerable. But it's just a hot mess.
TITLES

Old 12-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
country flag VAMOS!!

James Duckworth with a Brisbane wildcard (2nd last sentence).

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...219-2zntx.html
TITLES

Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #42
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody please make a new thread to discuss this joke of a web-site. Who are the designers. Where is the Livescore panel? Where are the head line news. Scott Draper advertising a killer forehand. It's just advertising crap. I thought the web-site was supposed to be user friendly and promote the sport...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #43
country flag Redline

Redline is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Id agree with most of the above. I think Mousley will get a qualifying wildcard based on his under 18 Nationials win.

Given how high the cut off is for qualifying in Brisbane and Sydney it will be interesting to see if any Australians play Noumea (Groth) or Auckland (Jones) did last year. They got good results in their respective tournaments which set up their year. Its better than sitting a week out.
Redline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #44
country flag RustyOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Given how high the cut off is for qualifying in Brisbane and Sydney it will be interesting to see if any Australians play Noumea (Groth) or Auckland (Jones) did last year. They got good results in their respective tournaments which set up their year. Its better than sitting a week out.
They could play Noumea, which is just after Xmas but if they are playing AO qualies (week 6th January) they will not be able to play Auckland.
Jones only played Auckland last year (did well to qualify and then beat Jurgen Melzer in 1st round)because Tennis Australia did not think he was good enough to get a wild card into AO qualifying (which is played the same week).

Groth is not entered for Noumea but could elect to play Auckland qualies if he gets an AO WC, but not sure TA will be savvy enough to let him know of the AO WC decision before the Auckland qualies starts...

Last edited by RustyOz : 12-20-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: add info
Old 12-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #45
country flag Southend Aussies

Southend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond reputeSouthend Aussies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
They could play Noumea, which is just after Xmas but if they are playing AO qualies (week 6th January) they will not be able to play Auckland.
Jones only played Auckland last year (did well to qualify and then beat Jurgen Melzer in 1st round)because Tennis Australia did not think he was good enough to get a wild card into AO qualifying (which is played the same week).

Groth is not entered for Noumea but could elect to play Auckland qualies if he gets an AO WC, but not sure TA will be savvy enough to let him know of the AO WC decision before the Auckland qualies starts...
Groth has said he will enter Brisbane and start his season there. He only entered Noumea last year because he was pretty much out of qualifying with no wildcard. I assume he either has a MDWC or a QWC.

We're all forgetting as well that Brad Mousley has a QWC as winner of the u18 national championships. So that leaves 6.

Kokkinakis will have one if he hasn't got a MDWC.

Whitto, Saville, Mott are absolute locks for QWC.

Don't be surprised if youngsters like Santillan, Anderson, Polmans or even Jasika are given a shot.

Last year, only Feeney and Reid, were given wildcards by those who are older than 20.

They'll throw them to youngsters who they believe are ready for qualifying.

Just look at Jordan Thompson as an example.

Singles Rank: (166); Career High (164)- Winner Como (CH) 2013, Mansfield (CH) 2013 Finalist Sacremento (CH) 2013, QF in Shanghai (CH) 2013

Doubles Rank: (181); Career High (181) - Winner Como (CH) 2013 with AussieAdz, Finalist in Fergana (CH) with valac222, SF in Busan (CH) 2013, Shanghai (CH) 2013, Melbourne (CH) 2013.
Southend Aussies is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote