How to stay consistent.. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-29-2005, 02:22 AM   #1
country flag socaltennisguy

socaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond reputesocaltennisguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to stay consistent..

So how do you do it? I just dont have my confidence when i step onto the court. I hit shots right back to my opponent because i am scared to go for the lines. Then i get these easy set-ups, and end up missing by 20 feet. I know i can hit my backhand well if im on, but im too scared to do it and end up hitting slices, which is crap. How do you get your confidence up? Just telling yourself that you can make the shots, or thinking your opponent sucks or what? I just cant play more than 2 consistent points in a row. If i would be able to, I would be beating people 6-1 or 6-2 every time, but now i end up losing 1-6..It's ridiculous..i can hit these shots all day in practice but in a real match its a different story..i just dont get it. Maybe i suck..Anyway sorry for the long post if anyone can help me out it'd be great.
socaltennisguy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to stay consistent..

Don't go for the lines. Thats not percentage tennis.

Groove your groundies more up against a backboard, hit 10 strokes in a row, and switch off. You'll gain confidence that way.

And pick up more practice singles matches..

Why can't all guys be this sexy?

Member of the MTF pervert squad

Partygirl rules!!

best MTF thread ever - tangerine_dream is a bully
binkygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:44 AM   #3
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use the backboard, that can't reproduce correct conditions of a court. You can hit the stroke however you want, but you wont know whether you sailed it long, made it drop midcourt, or hit it well. You also would need to stand so far back, that the rebound would not come back close enough, forcing you to go closer, and have to basically block the next several shots because they are coming back so fast.

My advice, get a good partner, and play out points. Not for score, just play out, and play to win the point. Go for your shots; you'll pick up after a while where your range is on running to shots and being able to set up at the same time. You'll get used to the idea of being in a point, and gain confidence in your strokes as you get used to going for them in points. This also gives you the freedom to experiment with footwork, comming forward, going backward, without the stress of a match.

But really, it takes about 15 tournaments for a player to realize what the need to do in a match. Playing out points will get your mind set on the notion that you can make the shots, but playing competetive matches is the only way to get used to a match situation. Playing points out like I said before will get you to the point where you'll make your shots on a more consistant basis, but continue playing matches in the meantime.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

A backboard is good at teaching hitting on the rise. It didn't hurt Monica Seles and I think it is the reason why she was so successful, she became genius at seeing the ball early.

Why can't all guys be this sexy?

Member of the MTF pervert squad

Partygirl rules!!

best MTF thread ever - tangerine_dream is a bully
binkygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
country flag TheMightyFed

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute

Following some training on backboard I get more confident, strokes are more "natural", automatic.
Don't get scared, define your tactics and the targets you want to reach on returns. On serves, focus on precise rituals.
In one word: Keep focused.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

Just ask Marat