Can lightening strike twice? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Can Gaudio win another RG title?

Yes 18 75.00%
No 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #16
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can lightening strike twice?

GWH he can beat JC and Nadal. His match was close with JC and at RG Gaudio will fight very hard to stay in the tournament. I give him a good chance. I just hope his title last week is not the last one of the year.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #17
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

I never said he couldn't beat them that was not the point, but he'll need to beat the big guys a bit more often than he has on clay, he is one of them now. Well there is a chance he could meet Nadal in this tournament and that will be more of an indication.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #18
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Can he defend? It depends on what type of draw he gets and his overall mood.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #19
country flag Vale

Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
...he'll need to beat the big guys a bit more often than he has on clay, he is one of them now. Well there is a chance he could meet Nadal in this tournament and that will be more of an indication.
I'm hoping he will feel he has to go out there and play to the death, with feelings of revenge rather than fear. As you say, Nadal would be a good indication, but if he should lose it would only make things worse, already he admires the "élite" too much and doesn't assimilate he's one of them!
Anyway, he has the tennis to beat them all, and he has the motivation, powerful weapons to win his favourite tournament. I just hope he'll be fit and strong (yesterday I thought he was looking thinner), and gets in some major wins before RG to give him confidence!
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:52 AM   #20
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

He's out of Rome now and that's not necessarily a bad thing, though I wasn't keen on the oncourt problems he had, the only things Gaston should concentrate are the round yellow ball and to make sure his movement is up to standard.

As long as he plays his best, that is all that can be asked.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 05-06-2005, 09:01 AM   #21
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope GWH that come RG Gaston goes out there with something to prove, because many have written him off as a fluke champion and undeserving RG winner. I really want him to do well there and win it if Roger can't. I bet 400 on him so I could make a killing if he repeats. I hope his Hamburg showing is good. I really want him to pick up another clay title this year. This Rome loss was very disturbing.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #22
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

I don't see the need to panic, there are other more important things to think about and Dirk if you want to know what I thought of the match read the Rome thread.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 05-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #23
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
I really hope GWH that come RG Gaston goes out there with something to prove, because many have written him off as a fluke champion and undeserving RG winner. I really want him to do well there and win it if Roger can't. I bet 400 on him so I could make a killing if he repeats. I hope his Hamburg showing is good. I really want him to pick up another clay title this year. This Rome loss was very disturbing.
I hope he can make a good showing there again. Win it again? Quite possible. If he can remember how he did it last time, he'd be the man to beat. For now, he's the champ, although he's not playing like one. That's OK; he's got a slam, and no one can take it away from him.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #24
country flag Vale

Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can lightning strike twice?

I found Becker's views interesting. He singles out Nadal, and thinks the other favourites are Gaudio, Coria, Ferrero and Federer:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...5286121576S163

Nadal the man to beat in Paris, says Becker

May 05 2005 at 01:06PM

By Bill Barclay

London - Boris Becker knows a thing or two about winning grand slams as a teenager and he is convinced Spain's Rafael Nadal is the player to beat at the French Open.

World No 1 Roger Federer will seek to complete his grand slam collection in Paris but the Swiss has a relatively poor record on the slow clay of Roland Garros and 18-year-old Nadal is on fire.

"At the moment Nadal is a big favourite," Becker said.

"Yes, you have Argentine Gaston Gaudio, the defending champion, you have Argentine Guillermo Coria, you have Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero and you have Federer.

"Federer on clay is also a big threat so you shouldn`t overlook him. But the top player right now is Rafael Nadal."

Twenty years ago Becker took tennis by storm when he won the Queen's Club tournament and the first of three Wimbledon titles at the age of 17.

The now-retired former world number one sees more than a hint of "Boom-Boom Boris" Nadal, the Mallorcan who has won four tournaments this year including back-to-back clay titles in Monte Carlo and Barcelona to break into the top 10 for the first time.

"He is better on clay than I was," laughed Becker, who never won a claycourt tournament despite accumulating 49 titles during his career.

"He is the up-and-coming new star of the tennis world and it is wonderful to see such a young kid with so much firepower and so much will to win. In a way he reminds me little bit of a young teenager in Germany 20 years ago or more.

"I am often in Spain, in Mallorca. I saw him playing four or five years ago and he had the same attitude and the same energy that he brings to his tennis right now."

One of Nadal's biggest advantages, Becker said, was that he possessed the fearlessness of youth.

"It helps to be younger and just be very much in the zone, in the moment, just thinking about the next tennis balls," said Becker at the London launch of Nobok, a company that offers fans the chance to meet sporting greats face-to-face.

"But more importantly, I think that is his attitude, his personality anyway. You cannot really switch in and out of it. He doesn't have any fear.

"He goes out and plays in front of his home crowd and wins tournaments - that's something that will follow him through his whole career."

Becker said Federer must acquire the virtue of patience in order to better his quarterfinal appearance at Roland Garros in 2001.

Otherwise the Swiss risks joining a clutch of greats like Becker, Pete Sampras and Stefan Edberg who won all the other grand slams but failed to master the exacting Paris clay.

"I guess we all have our Achilles heel. Mine was the French Open and Federer certainly hasn't won the French Open yet, though I think he has the talent. I will be very surprised once he finishes his career to read that he hasn't won the French Open.

"He's got a great ground-stroke game, he's got good legs, so I don't see any reason why he shouldn't win the French Open.

"He needs patience. Claycourt tennis is more about not making many mistakes but Federer has the game."
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #25
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute
Default nd

I've just received Tennis Magazine of June. And, as you can guess, the biggest part of the content deals with RG. They have made a sort of estimation of the chances to win the tournament for some players. Here are some of their conclusions.

Federer, Nadal 7%
Coria 6,5%
Ferrero 6%
Gaston 5,5%
Safin 5%
Moya 4,5%
Kuerten 3,5%
Roddick 3%
Nalbandian 2,5%
Old 05-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #26
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Roddick 3 percent is a big joke.

Anyway, it would be good if RG was as slow as Hamburg, but they changed that for a few reasons, but I just hope that Gaston is ready there and then to play some good tennis and that's all that can be asked that at RG, he leaves everything on the court as this tournament is more special than the others and therefore means no days where he can't be bothered if he misses the centre of the racquet by 0.00000000000000001mm.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 05-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #27
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

When I have a look at the estimation for Safin and Ferrero, given their respective latest results so far on clay, I'm a bit sceptical. I hope that the loss to Davydenko today will be a serious warning for JCF. I only saw the 1st set, the one he won rather easily. But when I saw the result, I couldn't believe it. As for Marat, well, he's able of the best as of the worst, so I'm waiting to see what's gonna happen...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #28
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Davydenko only made 3 UEs in the last 2 sets and if that is the case then he deserved it.

The key thing is that Gaston is ready on May 23 to start playing.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 05-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #29
country flag Choupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Davydenko only made 3 UEs in the last 2 sets and if that is the case then he deserved it.
Well, as I've said, I haven't seen the rest of the match, because I had to go back to work... but the 1st set had been really dominated by Ferrero. So, when I saw the final score, I figured that either Davy must have played much better than what he had done in the 1st set, or that JC had had a pb with his game. Anyway, well done to Davydenko.
Quote:
The key thing is that Gaston is ready on May 23 to start playing.
I call it a "La Palissade"...but so true!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:25 AM   #30
country flag Dirk

1 match down. 6 more to go.