Rafter says Tarango challenged him to fight - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-02-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rafter says Tarango challenged him to fight

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/3585478
Quote:
Rafter says Tarango challenged him to fight
Associated Press
Posted: 2 hours ago

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Two-time U.S. Open champion Pat Rafter says he once waited in the locker room for American Jeff Tarango so the pair could have a fist fight after an angry on-court exchange.

In an interview for the Australian Broadcasting Corp. television show "Enough Rope" on Monday, the now-retired Rafter also said he often had a strained relationship with Pete Sampras.
"Sampras and I had our run-ins but we'd always talk," Rafter told interviewer Andrew Denton.

Rafter said Tarango wanted to become "the next John McEnroe."

"Once he (Tarango) said let's go for a fight after the match," Rafter said. "And I thought 'well, this'd be a new one.' Anyway, so he wasn't there."

Rafter won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award on the ATP Tour in 1997, 1999 and 2000.

He did not say when the incident took place, but the pair had an acrimonious exchange during a first-round match won by Rafter at the 1998 Australian Open. Both Rafter and Tarango retired from the tour in 2003, although Rafter made a brief comeback in doubles late last year and at this year's Australian Open.

The 32-year-old Rafter says he is planning to move his family to France, but not for several years.

Rafter and his wife, ex-model Lara Feltham, have a two-year-old son, Joshua.

"And we have another baby coming shortly too, so for the next sort of three or four years I want to be there for the babies and my family," Rafter said.
smucav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 06:11 AM   #2
bad gambler

Default Re: Rafter says Tarango challenged him to fight

cheers for the article

jeff tarango, the biggest **** on tour on the 90's
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tarango was a nasty bugger, I remember when he exploded on court at Wimbledon 1995 and his wife even threatened the ump after the match. I was also told by Ronald Agenor about the time Tarango made racial taunts towards him during a challenger match and got away with it.

Why can't all guys be this sexy?

Member of the MTF pervert squad

Partygirl rules!!

best MTF thread ever - tangerine_dream is a bully
binkygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:21 AM   #4
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a longer version with a few more details:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=49456

Quote:
Rafter admits off-court fracas
11:56 AEST Mon May 2 2005
AAP
Pat Rafter admits he once waited in the locker room for American Jeff Tarango to arrive so the pair could have a fist-fight after an angry on-court exchange earlier that day.

Former Australian of the Year Rafter has also come clean on which players he didn't get along with on the tennis tour, including Pete Sampras.

In an interview to be screened on ABC TV's Enough Rope with Andrew Denton on Monday night, the laid-back Rafter talks about the day he met Pope John Paul II and made a bit of a mess of things.

And Rafter, 32, says he is planning to move his family to France, but not for a few years.

Former two-time US Open champion Rafter and his wife, ex-model Lara Feltham, have a son Joshua, two.

"And we have another baby coming shortly too, so for the next sort of three or four years I want to be there for the babies and my family," Rafter told Denton.

Rafter said he had mixed memories of meeting the Pope about five years ago.

Mobbed and hugged by the faithful, the Pope was very much in demand.

"I thought well, I'm not going to hold up the rest of the crew behind me. It was a hot day," Rafter said.

"The man's not really looking at me, he was sort of down.

"But instead of asking for blessings for the rest of the family or whatever I just said 'um oh bless you'.

"I've walked out to see Pete, my brother, and I've gone 'oh Pete, I think I've just messed up'.

"I don't know if he heard me. And Pete goes, you're supposed to call him Your Holiness; I called him Your Honour.

"And I said, well, I just blessed the Pope.

"We then went and ran out of there for the State of Origin match. We found the Ned Kelly bar in a side street near the Vatican, and we had gone in at 10 o'clock in the morning.

"The game was on so we turned on, and Gorden Tallis got sent off in that match by Bill Harrigan.

"My goodness, I had to go back and repent again, after that. So everything came out. It was a good day."

Rafter says he was overcome by nerves in losing the 2000 Wimbledon final in four sets to Sampras after taking the first in a tie-break and leading 4-1 with two serves to come in the second set tie-break.

Rafter said it was all over very quickly, but the following year's Wimbledon final loss to his mate, Croatian Goran Ivanisevic, was much more painful.

"I choked (against Sampras), but that's OK. And then after the second Wimbledon when I lost to Goran, and I came away bitterly, bitterly disappointed. Just shattered," Rafter said.

Rafter said he was once challenged to a fight by Tarango, who according to the Queenslander had set out to become "the next John McEnroe".

"Once he said let's go for a fight after the match," Rafter said.

"And I thought well, this'd be a new one ... Anyway, so he wasn't there," said Rafter, who won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award in 1997, 1999 and 2000.

Rafter would sometimes receive phone calls at his hotel from Australian journalists.

"So I decided I would go under a different name altogether, and there was a guy called Ben Harper the musician who I was very fond of and I went under the name Mr Benny," he said.

Rafter said Chile's Marcelo Rios was not one of the most amiable players on the tour, and he also had strained relationships at times with Austrian Thomas Muster, Sampras and Tarango.

"He (Rios) was one guy you'd sort of be in an elevator of all places and say good day to and he'd just look at you. He was a strange cat," Rafter said.

"Sampras and I had our run-ins but we'd always talk."

Rafter said he also had some rows with Mark Philippoussis because the Victorian didn't work hard enough at Davis Cup training sessions.

©AAP 2005
smucav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
country flag basil333

basil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond reputebasil333 has a reputation beyond repute

Tarango - he's a great guy (serious post)

Optimism is a wonderful thing - 1 part Optimism is worth 100 parts Pessimism

A parachute is like the mind - it only works when OPEN
basil333 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
country flag SwissMister1

SwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Ned Kelly's in Rome, seemed like Pat's kind of place. Nice interview.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

PAW #1 5/22/06
Predict-the-SCORE US Open Champion
SwissMister1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkygirl
Tarango was a nasty bugger, I remember when he exploded on court at Wimbledon 1995 and his wife even threatened the ump after the match. I was also told by Ronald Agenor about the time Tarango made racial taunts towards him during a challenger match and got away with it.
There you go big noting yourself I am so impressed.

If Tarango is a racist, then Roddick is winning more RG titles in a row than Borg.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:40 AM   #8
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
There you go big noting yourself I am so impressed.

If Tarango is a racist, then Roddick is winning more RG titles in a row than Borg.

What is 'big noting'? Honestly, do you think that you were the only youngster with a TV set and an ability to remember what they saw? Its a message board, not a competition.

As far as your previous comments about my 'knowing' players, well, my dear, I live in Los Angeles, CA which is in Southern CA, one of the world's cradles of tennis. Its not that uncommon to see and be acquianted with celebrities, let alone tennis pros or people who know them! Lighten up and have fun.

Why can't all guys be this sexy?

Member of the MTF pervert squad

Partygirl rules!!

best MTF thread ever - tangerine_dream is a bully
binkygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #9
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkygirl
What is 'big noting'? Honestly, do you think that you were the only youngster with a TV set and an ability to remember what they saw? Its a message board, not a competition.

As far as your previous comments about my 'knowing' players, well, my dear, I live in Los Angeles, CA which is in Southern CA, one of the world's cradles of tennis. Its not that uncommon to see and be acquianted with celebrities, let alone tennis pros or people who know them! Lighten up and have fun.
What is "big noting" well you do it all the time, so it comes to second nature. Considering I am far from the oldest person on this board and yes and esome of those people have an ability to recall distant information and are able to construct particular points of view.

As for being a competition well if you are bragging about knowing players isn't that to try and promote yourself in such a way as look at me I know these people I am so cool and important. But you are so cool that dry ice doesn't do justice to how cool you really are.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote