James News! - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-01-2005, 03:13 AM   #106

Default Re: James News!

I don't know what is wrong with the people in GM, but James was wonderful on 60 Minutes. He is a credit to tennis and a great representative of the U.S. And I think he will bring more people to tennis. I hope he gets off to a good start in 2006 and I hope his fans keep the "J Block"
going
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 08:59 AM   #107
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60
FYI- I went for dinner with some office mates tonight and one of the ladies asked me "who was that handsome player on 60 minutes? He came across so intelligent,well spoken and sincere. And some story huh? " After I told her a bit more she even went so far as to think about watching him play tennis next year when they show a match on tv. My job is to let her know when he is playing.
(:

He does one piece and gets a new fan. Fake my butt. Well, Sue, be sure to keep up with his schedule
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #108
country flag sol

sol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
I don't know what is wrong with the people in GM, but James was wonderful on 60 Minutes. He is a credit to tennis and a great representative of the U.S. And I think he will bring more people to tennis. I hope he gets off to a good start in 2006 and I hope his fans keep the "J Block"
going
I didn't see this show (not available in my country) but the people in GM doesn’t have anything better to do these days.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ujo/Noel37.gif

->Support the Fabrice "The Magic" Santoro Forum Request<-

sol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #109
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFairy
(:

He does one piece and gets a new fan. Fake my butt. Well, Sue, be sure to keep up with his schedule
Absolutely as she seemed really interested. And trust me she is not a tennis fan- ice hockey is more her style-had a son who played minor league hockey.
So we will see what goes. And I am still trying to get one of the other cancer docs to go with me to a tournie next year. She almost came with me to Cinci but backed out at the last minute because of work issues. She is not a tennis fan at the moment but was willing to give it a try so.....
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #110
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you managed to take her some time soon, she'd be persuaded. I took a friend to Wimbledon this year who realy didn't have any sort of tennis interest at all. Football was more his sport, and he only agreed to go after i promised he'd see one womens match (for the skirts reason solely) and by the end of the day, he was enthusing about points and cheering like crazy. He even watched the whole tournament, and some of the rest of the season.

And, he likes Blake too
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 PM   #111

I like both hockey and tennis so I'm sure your friend can also. Besides you get to see more of the bodies in tennis than in hockey
Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #112
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

This is from the thing in Boise the other night
----------------------
James Blake gives more than he receives

By Trevor Horn
Sports Editor
December 05, 2005

There are those professional athletes who take it all for granted. Then there is James Blake.

A 25-year-old top-25 tennis player who has graced the cover of Gentleman's Quarterly magazine, and was named the world’s sexist athlete by People magazine.

But that’s not who the real James Blake is. Blake is a kind, gentle person more concerned with helping others than promoting himself.

He is the definition of a role model.

“I’ve always taken the job as a role model very seriously. For me, I want kids to see a positive way to go about things, and any time you face challenges, you try to overcome them,” Blake said.

That is what the Yonkers, N.Y., native has done. He has overcome adversity larger than one person should encounter. At the age of 13, Blake was diagnosed with severe scoliosis (curvature of the spine), something that forced him to wear a back brace 18 hours a day.

But that wasn’t it for Blake.

Two years ago while practicing in Rome, he suffered a fractured vertebra. That injury somehow only kept him out of competition for just a few months. Then tragedy struck.

“It only took me two months to get back from the neck injury,” Blake said. “But right after I came back was when my father passed away, and then I was stricken with a virus that was stress related – related to the death of my father. That took about six months longer with shingles, and that was a pretty painful experience to go through that.”

This adversity is what brings Blake closer to his fans.

“I think that helps with kids relating to me because everyone has problems. Everyone has tough family situations or injuries. No one is going to be on top of the world from the time they are born to the time they die. I think it just makes it more realistic that we are human,” Blake said.

He, along with Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf, Bob and Mike Bryan and Belarusian teenager Viktoria Azarenka were in Boise Saturday as part of Tamarack Resort’s Rock-n-Racquet event at Taco Bell Arena. The event is an annual fundraiser designed to benefit the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation.

Helping out with charity is nothing new to Blake.

“I was a part of my own event that I put on (last week) in Virginia to help benefit cancer research and help out where my father was treated.” He also donates 100 dollars per tour win to the Harlem Junior Tennis Program, the place where he learned to play tennis.

He also gives another 100 dollars per win to Shriners Hospital.

Here is a man who has won at every level. He was the top collegiate player at Harvard University as a sophomore. He has won three career titles as a professional, including the Stockholm Open in October.

But the wins on the tour are not his driving factor; it’s events like Rock-n-Racquet that he loves.

“These things are, in my opinion, more important than the match play in Wimbledon and the US Open and things like that because they are for really unselfish reasons. They are for other people to help create better lives for others.

“The matches you win,” Blake said, “they are to give you the voice to be able to that, to out you in the limelight so you can really use this time wisely to help others.”

But without the call from a friend, Blake would not have come to Boise.

“To be honest, the first reason I am here was when I heard Andre Agassi was involved. If he asked me to do something, I’m going to do it. It’s just what friends do, and I try to be as good a friend to him as he has been to me,” Blake said.

Agassi and Blake also had some unfinished business to do on the court. The two met for the first time since the quarterfinals Saturday at Taco Bell Arena. In a much more laid-back atmosphere, Blake defeated Agassi.

But before those two went at it Saturday night, Blake made the day of an 11-year-old boy from Boise earlier that afternoon. Blake was part of a tennis clinic at the Boise Racquet and Swim Club with some of the other participants. Blake was the first to give a young tennis player in the audience a chance to play with a professional. Starting by himself, then being handicapped by over a half dozen Boise State cheerleaders holding on to his left hand, Blake narrowly beat Matt, the youngster, but not before giving the young man the time of his life.

This is James Blake. This is the man who was helped as a child to recover from scoliosis as a teenager. This is the son, who broke his neck, lost his father and was partially paralyzed, only to return to top form in the tennis world.

“We are not just people ... you see on TV. We are human beings. We go home and we have troubles, as well,” Blake said.

But he is stronger than those troubles that have been brought before him.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:34 PM   #113

Deb we can always count on you to post those wonderful articles about James! Thanks so much
Old 12-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #114
country flag surfpinky

surfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond repute

"...but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo when he wants to..."
surfpinky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:49 AM   #115
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Great news for James
------------------------------------
Blake, once spurned by Dunlop, signs with Prince
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

It doesn't pay to doubt James Blake.

Dunlop has learned that lesson.

The racket maker signed him when he turned pro in 1999 and extended their deal with him again in 2002. But when Blake fell out of the top 100 last year, Dunlop executives exercised their option to dump him so that they wouldn't have to pay him top dollar.

By the time he won the Pilot Pen in August, reached the quarterfinals in the U.S. Open in September and won the Stockholm Open in October of this season, it was too late to get him back. Every company in the racket business wanted to pay to have their product in Blake's hands.

ESPN.com has learned that the battle has been won by Prince, which will add the 25-year-old to their stable of endorsers that includes highly-ranked players including Maria Sharapova, Nikolai Davidenko and Guillermo Coria. Terms of the multi-year deal were not announced.

"Prince did an unbelievable job in presenting to James, from a technical and marketing standpoint," said Blake's agent Carlos Fleming.

Prince, which has an industry leading 40 percent of the market for tennis rackets that sell for over $200, was clearly looking for a top American man. Andy Roddick and Robby Ginepri play with Babolat while Taylor Dent uses Head. Prince's highest ranked player before signing Blake was journeyman Paul Goldstein, who is currently ranked 67th in the world.

Six years ago, Blake was considered one of the most promising stars in the game. He left Harvard after his sophomore year, turned pro and signed deals with the likes of Nike, Dunlop and American Express. He not only had the game, he had the charisma and those dreadlocks that rekindled memories of Yannick Noah.

But things changed.

In December 2003, he shaved his hair. The following year, he broke his neck and contracted Zoster, a virus that affected his sight and temporarily paralyzed one side of his face. His father then died of cancer.

Just eight months ago, his ranking had slipped to 210, which forced him to play in challenger tournaments. He won two of them in consecutive weeks in May and slowly climbed back to the national stage, culminating in a five-set loss to Andre Agassi, who advanced to the U.S. Open semifinals with the win.

Fleming said he believes that his client's marketing potential "is greater today than it has ever been."

"When he originally signed deals at the beginning of his career, it was based on potential," Fleming said. "Now, he is actually doing."

Despite James' struggles, Nike stood by him. This year, they re-signed him to a four-year shoe and apparel deal.

Blake has never been associated with Prince before. He played with Wilson during his college career.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 12-09-2005, 05:17 AM   #116

Thanks Deb. You always post such good articles on James I'm glad he has a good deal now. I just hate it when a company drops a player just because the player has had a hard time. After all that James has had happen to him no wonder his tennis suffered, but now I'm looking for him to really move up in 2006
Old 12-09-2005, 06:38 AM   #117
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Love that Jan-Mike and James will be supplied by the same company (even more than I love the silly mistakes in that article). Hope they do a photo shoot together soon...

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:23 PM   #118
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
Love that Jan-Mike and James will be supplied by the same company (even more than I love the silly mistakes in that article). Hope they do a photo shoot together soon...
LOL, what do you expect from an ESPN article

Anyway, I'm glad for James, and it's also nice to hear that Nike stuck with him and re-signed him

Old 12-11-2005, 02:59 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
LOL, what do you expect from an ESPN article

Anyway, I'm glad for James, and it's also nice to hear that Nike stuck with him and re-signed him
Yes Nike did the right thing so I'm glad I wear their shoes I just can't play tennis
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #120
country flag Deboogle!.

News from the charity event in West Virginia that James and Jeff Morrison did
====================
Local juniors get tips from tennis pros

By DAVID WALSH
The Herald-Dispatch

December 11, 2005

BARBOURSVILLE -- A long day of tennis for James Blake, Jeff Morrison, Carly Gullickson and Julie Ditty began Saturday morning when more than 100 juniors joined them for a clinic at the Huntington Tennis Club.

Marshall tennis coaches Laurie and John Mercer helped run the clinic and were joined by some of their players.

During one session, Evan White, 11 of Russell, got paired with Blake, who finished 2005 with a top-25 ATP ranking, during a doubles session. "To hit with him was something else," he admitted. "That's like top of the world. It was good to have him. He could cover my back."

Jessica Margolis, a junior at Capital High School, traded shots with Blake and Morrison during the 90-minute session.

"I wanted to hit good shots so I could keep hitting longer," she said. "It was pretty amazing."

Ross Evans, who attends Cammack Middle School, broke a string on his racket on a shot, headed outside to get a replacement and it was one of Blake's rackets. He did remember to return it.

"It was fun. I was a little nervous at first," he said. "His racket was a little heavier, but it felt good."

After the clinic, players and instructors posed for pictures. The four each told the juniors one interesting fact about their tennis careers, then took part in a question-and-answer session.

"It was exciting for the kids," Laurie Mercer said. "This is all they've been talking about. It's nice these pros take the time out and do this. It can inspire the younger kids."

Morrison and Blake said they recalled the days when they were young and listening to instructors at clinics.

"A couple of kids hit the ball really well," Morrison said. "I remember doing this with the WVU (West Virginia) team here. It was exciting."

"We didn't have too many pros," Blake said of his clinic days. "My dad was a volunteer and tough on me. Can this spark interest? I hope so. The main thing is to have fun."