James News! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-25-2005, 05:19 AM   #16
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: James News!

Another Shot Of Redemption
Blake Beats Llodra, Avenges Davis Cup Loss

August 24, 2005

By JEFF GOLDBERG, Courant Staff Writer

NEW HAVEN -- This has been a year of redemption for James Blake. A year ago, the 25-year-old from Fairfield lost most of his season to injury and illness. Now he is regaining the form that placed him in the class of up-and-coming American players just three years ago.

It was during his ascension in 2002 that Blake took part in a Davis Cup loss to France in Paris. And there was a little redemption for that Tuesday night.

In his first match on Stadium Court at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale, in front of a decidedly partisan crowd of 7,409, Blake easily dispatched Michael Llodra of France 6-1, 6-4 in the first round of the Pilot Pen.

"We got him back," Blake said. "He was one of the team members when they beat us in Paris. It's a good feeling. I knew it was going to be this way when I heard how many fans were coming out and how many of my fans were going to be here. It's a good feeling when they're on your side."

Blake's victory was particularly pleasing to those occupying the "J-Block," a section devoted to Blake fans who made their presence known throughout the match.

"It's a lot of fun," Blake said. "Just being home, staying in my own bed, being around so many friends, people that go way back ... it's something that's very rare on tour. To be back so close to my hometown is a great feeling."

Blake won despite being on the wrong end of an unusual chair umpire's ruling in the second set - the kind of call one doesn't expect on a home court, and one that sometimes changes the course of a match.

Leading 3-2 and with a break point, Blake was called for hindering Llodra by vocally celebrating an apparent winner before Llodra could return it. Chair umpire Carlos Bernades gave the point to Llodra, forcing deuce.

Instead of falling behind a break, Llodra held serve for 3-3, then took a 15-40 lead on Blake's subsequent service game. But Blake responded with two points, including an ace, before winning the game after a long deuce rally. Blake then broke Llodra in the 10th game to win the match.

"He said it was a hindrance, because I said `Come on,' too early, although I'm really not sure Michael had a chance at that," Blake said. "That's what I expressed to [Bernades] and he said that in his judgment he could have had it, so we left it at that. But I've never seen that ever called in my career and my coach [Bryan Barker] said he's never seen it as long as he's been in tennis.

"It's just one of those things that luckily I was able to move on. He made some great serves after that hold, and then that next game was the one where I had some trouble holding. But once I got through that, I knew it was behind me."

Blake will face No.10 seed Filippo Volandri of Italy in a second-round match this afternoon on Stadium Court.

Blake dominated the first set Tuesday, breaking Llodra in the opening game, then adding two more breaks to take the set, 6-1. Blake had Llodra looking to the heavens and muttering to himself with a series of backhand winners.

"I figure most people, it's going to be their game plan to attack my backhand," Blake said. "I got a lot more confidence in it. When I have time to hit it, I feel like I can really go after it and hurt people with it, as opposed to playing defense all the time. I think I passed him with three backhands that first game and that's probably something he wasn't expecting."

Earlier Tuesday, American Mardy Fish lost his first-round match 6-4, 6-4 to Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber, a setback in his recovery from left wrist surgery that was performed in Hartford in May. It was Fish's first match since retiring during a tournament in Indianapolis last month.

Fish, ranked 140th on the ATP Tour, said he was able to return serves without pain, but it hurt when he tried to create pace on his own shots. The pain was not a welcome development six days before the U.S. Open.

"It hurt more than I thought it was going to," said Fish, the 2004 Olympic silver medalist. "It kind of wore down. I've been practicing for three months now in Tampa and I don't think I was really rusty. The doctor reassured me that I couldn't hurt my wrist any worse, but that didn't take away the fact that it still hurts.

"Obviously my goal was to try and play next week and do well. I would definitely be happy just being able to play with minimal pain."

In second-round matches, No. 4 seed Tommy Robredo of Spain defeated American Scoville Jenkins 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, and No. 5 Feliciano Lopez of Spain defeated Italian Davide Sanguinetti, 6-4, 6-3. Fernando Verdasco of Spain eliminated 14th-seeded Robin Soderling of Sweden, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4).

Romanian Victor Hanescu defeated Ivo Minar of the Czech Republic 6-3, 6-2 after Minar replaced ninth-seeded Greg Rusedski, who withdrew Tuesday citing fatigue.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-pen...utility-sports

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005, 05:21 AM   #17
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Looking Forward To Hometown Crowd
August 21, 2005

By JAMES BLAKE, Special To The Courant

Taking that week off after making it to the finals in Washington, D.C., was beneficial for me. It was important to have a full tank of gas this past week in Cincinnati, and for the tournaments at Pilot Pen and the U.S. Open.

Obviously it was disappointing to lose at Cincinnati after drawing No.1 Roger Federer in the first round. But I feel I played a great match against him, and my confidence remains high after a close match, losing 7-6, 7-5. There was a lot of electricity and energy in the air during the match, and I felt I played Roger close all the way to the end.

The day after the match I watched the footage to look for turning points and areas I can improve. Overall, I am happy with the way I played but will continue to practice this week to fine tune my game.

I am excited to be coming to New Haven to play at the Pilot Pen. I have a lot of friends and family in the area, and I've had a chance to catch up with so many people. I am going to have my own cheering section, so I'm looking forward to having the home crowd this week.

There are a lot of people pulling for me, and I don't want to disappoint them.

I know they'll support me win or lose; I'll be going out with a high confidence level, ready to get some big wins under my belt.

I look forward to seeing the stands packed!

Connecticut native James Blake will be sharing his thoughts periodically for The Courant before and during the Pilot Pen tennis tournament, which begins today and continues through next Sunday at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-bla...utility-sports
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:44 AM   #18
country flag Skyward

Skyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...30-blake_x.htm

Resilient Blake tops Rusedski at U.S. Open
By Steve Wilstein, The Associated Press
NEW YORK — Backed by his friends and many fans chanting "James! James! James!" in Arthur Ashe Stadium, James Blake served a 131 mph ace to reach match point, then ripped a backhand passing shot to beat the No. 28 Greg Rusedski, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3.

To see Blake play so beautifully and with unfettered ease in a straight-sets takedown of former finalist Rusedski at the U.S. Open on Tuesday was to watch a man who summoned a reservoir of inner strength from a year of unrelenting misery following a fractured neck injury.

Unseeded, Blake may not be a threat to win the Open. He's playing the best tennis of his life at age 25, but he harbors no illusions that he's in the same class as No. 1 Roger Federer, who won his first-round match against Czech newcomer Ivo Minar 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 in 1 hour, 1 minute earlier in the day, or No. 2 Rafael Nadal, who could end Blake's run in the third round.

It was a sweltering afternoon at the Open as No. 12 Tim Henman of Britain lost 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 in the first round to Spain's Fernando Verdasco. Women's No. 2 Lindsay Davenport won in straight sets in the breezy evening after No. 3 Amelie Mauresmo, No. 6 Elena Dementieva and French Open champion Justine Henin-Hardenne, No. 7, did the same during the day. There were touches of drama in three-time French Open champ Gustavo Kuerten's 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 7-6 (3) victory over American Paul Goldstein.

But there was no more joyous scene than in the stadium as Blake played his heart out a year after he could do no more than watch the tournament from home.

"It was tough to watch," Blake said. "I kept thinking, 'I wonder how I'd be doing if I was there.' Now this year to go out there, it's just a great feeling."

Blake won his first tournament in three years on Sunday in New Haven, Conn., not far from where he grew up in Fairfield. It was a victory, a few weeks after he reached the final in Washington against Andy Roddick, that showed how far Blake had come since his lowest moments — when he lay in a hospital bed with a fractured neck last spring from a freak accident on court; or when he later contracted an illness that affected his sight and hearing and temporarily paralyzed part of his face; or when he watched his father dying of cancer last summer.

"Every different scenario was going through my head," Blake said of his toughest days. "At times I was thinking, 'I wonder if I'll be able to play again. I wonder if my face will ever come back to normal.' Just kind of general curiosity as to what life has in store for me. Just trying to think about every situation and find a way to be happy with each situation.

"If I couldn't play tennis again, am I still going to be happy going back to school, maybe going to business school, doing whatever else I could do? ... Would I be able to be happy if my eye never came back to normal and I couldn't really be athletic at all the rest of my life? Could I find a way to still be happy? All those I tried to answer yes."

He could answer yes, he said, because he still had friends, still had people who believed in him and would stand by him, joke with him, make him smile. He had the lifetime lessons of his father, who had learned tennis in middle age and "attacked it with the same vigor that he did everything."

"He taught me about hard work, the joy of hard work for just improving yourself," Blake said.

Blake's life has long been a story of triumphing over difficulties. At age 13, he was diagnosed with severe scoliosis, a curvature of the spine, which forced him to wear a back brace 18 hours a day. He didn't let that stop him from becoming an athlete, going to Harvard for two years, then pursuing a pro tennis career. He got his ATP ranking up to No. 22 in 2003 and seemed capable of moving higher. Then, suddenly, he was gone from the game for nine months when he fractured his neck after crashing into a net post while practicing in Rome and came down afterward with a case of shingles.

All of that, good and bad, imbued Blake with a deep appreciation for what it takes to be successful and what each achievement means. He could look up into the stands and see his friends cheering for him, know they'll be there for him, win or lose, as they were when he was home last year, dealing with his injury, his illness and his father's cancer.

"They were all someone special to me, every single one of them there," he said. "It means so much to be (winning at the Open again) in front of them. They're picking me up now when I'm high. They were picking me up when I was low. I don't know how much I can give back to them, but everything I do, it's probably not enough for how much they've done for me."
Skyward is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:08 PM   #19
country flag ataptc

ataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond repute

great article thanks for posting it!
ataptc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #20
country flag Stevens Point

Stevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond repute

Blake to Appear on Letterman Thursday Night

US Open quarterfinalist James Blake will appear on the CBS hit “Late Show With David Letterman” on Thursday, Sept. 8 at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT. Blake and superstar Jennifer Lopez will serve as Letterman's two guests.

The hour-long weeknight talk show taped in New York City features the latest in news and entertainment and is hosted by comedian David Letterman. Guests appearing regularly on the show include celebrities, sports figures, politicians and other exciting personalities.

Blake is riding a wave of summer success that includes winning his second career ATP title in New Haven and reaching his first Grand Slam quarterfinal. The 25-year-old American has made an inspiring comeback this season after fracturing vertebrae in his neck and contracting Zoster (shingles) in 2004.
Blake will clash with two-time US Open champion Andre Agassi on Wednesday night for a spot in

good luck RF!!

my latest blog entry: a woman in a male locker room.. hello?? , Updated: January 6th 2009
Stevens Point is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #21
country flag bright_light_23

bright_light_23 is on a distinguished road

Cool thanks!
bright_light_23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #22
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

James was the top Yahoo sports search for w/e Sept. 15

Sports
Rank Subject 1-Day Move
1 James Blake +4078.87%
2 Elena Dementieva +1830.25%
3 Sania Mirza +289.10%
4 UEFA Champions League +287.65%
5 Maria Sharapova +227.59%
6 UEFA +173.09%
7 Mary Pierce +167.86%
8 John Madden +153.27%
9 Water Polo +75.34%
10 Fenerbahce +72.45%
11 Florida Marlins +70.58%
12 Dc United +60.56%
13 Shaquille O'neal +60.33%
14 Michael Vick +59.98%
15 Jose Canseco +51.11%
View Complete Chart..
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #23
country flag ataptc

ataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond repute

that's cool to know
ataptc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #24
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Some cool news from Jamesblaketennis.com!
-------------
James is doing the media thing in style of late. He's been in Chicago the past couple days taping an episode of the Oprah Winfrey Show (a big deal for the non-Americans out there). Even more impressive, James has Mike Wallace of the CBS news program 60 Minutes on his tail (and will so through the Davis Cup in Belgium). The Oprah show will be on later this month or perhaps early October. Non set time yet for 60 Minutes. What else? James leaves tomorrow night for Belgium. He probably won't be playing a new frame (tennis racquet) until next season. Plenty of other things in the works, but nothing to report as of yet according to his agent Carlos Fleming.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #25
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute

OMG james on oprah i can't wait

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #26
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

James on Oprah *and* 60 Minutes? Wow
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #27
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty awesome, huh?! James will soon be taking over the world

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 09-17-2005, 07:45 PM   #28
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
James will soon be taking over the world
I like this sentence mucho. What a cool world where the leaders look more like him and less like Tony Blair
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #29
country flag Deboogle!.

James might be smarter, too

Old 09-17-2005, 08:03 PM   #30
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

Deb, my dear, now that's not a question of 'might', it's a question of 'by how much' (:
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote