James News! - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #256
country flag hsv91

hsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: James News!

Shit!!! He lost to Kiefer

I hope he come back for Cincinnati and the Olympic Games with a better perfomance!
hsv91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #257
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

Us Magazine's Olympic Hunks
James Blake - Tennis
This 28-year-old New York native (who is also the world's No.8-ranked player) will make his Olympics debut in Beijing. A famous pal rooting him on? John Mayer, who attended high school with the tennis star in Connecticut.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 164gt4.jpg (32.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #258
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Thanks for that photo, Mary.

James Blake, the phony jerk :

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ag1/index.html
David Berman of Honoulu is the winner of our second Prince racket in the "Random encounters with a pro tennis player" contest. He writes:

"In January 2002, I was a volunteer at a men's challenger event in Waikoloa, Hawaii. I was the assistant to the tournament director, and it was my job to literally run around all day solving and resolving the myriad problems constantly popping up. After many days of constant hustle, I developed nasty sciatic pain in my butt and cascading down my right leg, which reduced my much needed hustle to a painful hobble.

In desperate need of relief, I saw no choice but to ask the tournament trainer for some advice, or if I was really lucky, for some treatment. I knocked on his door, which he opened only a couple of inches to see what I wanted. He listened sympathetically to my problem, but explained that he was in the middle of treating a player and couldn't help me until later. At which point I heard a now familiar voice in the background say, "That's OK, I don't mind if you give him a few minutes."

When the trainer opened the door to let me in, I saw the voice belonged to James Blake, who was sprawled out on the table in the middle of a massage. James hopped off the table, and the trainer walked me through a few stretches to help the royal pain in my butt. I appreciated the trainer's help, but much more so I was blown away by James' easy willingness to interrupt his massage for my benefit. James was the top seed at the tournament. He would have been so within his rights to finish his massage without regard to my insignificant problem. Instead, he took time out so I could get some help.

I went back to running errands, and James went on to win the tournament. I have been following his pro career and rooting for him ever since."
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #259
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
^^ Thanks for that photo, Mary.

James Blake, the phony jerk :

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ag1/index.html
David Berman of Honoulu is the winner of our second Prince racket in the "Random encounters with a pro tennis player" contest. He writes:

"In January 2002, I was a volunteer at a men's challenger event in Waikoloa, Hawaii. I was the assistant to the tournament director, and it was my job to literally run around all day solving and resolving the myriad problems constantly popping up. After many days of constant hustle, I developed nasty sciatic pain in my butt and cascading down my right leg, which reduced my much needed hustle to a painful hobble.

In desperate need of relief, I saw no choice but to ask the tournament trainer for some advice, or if I was really lucky, for some treatment. I knocked on his door, which he opened only a couple of inches to see what I wanted. He listened sympathetically to my problem, but explained that he was in the middle of treating a player and couldn't help me until later. At which point I heard a now familiar voice in the background say, "That's OK, I don't mind if you give him a few minutes."

When the trainer opened the door to let me in, I saw the voice belonged to James Blake, who was sprawled out on the table in the middle of a massage. James hopped off the table, and the trainer walked me through a few stretches to help the royal pain in my butt. I appreciated the trainer's help, but much more so I was blown away by James' easy willingness to interrupt his massage for my benefit. James was the top seed at the tournament. He would have been so within his rights to finish his massage without regard to my insignificant problem. Instead, he took time out so I could get some help.

I went back to running errands, and James went on to win the tournament. I have been following his pro career and rooting for him ever since."
Awww!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #260
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

James.

2008 Recipient
Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Of The Year

James Blake:
In the summer of 2008, James Blake announced the creation of the Thomas Blake Sr. Memorial Research Fund at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, with the goal of raising $1 million for cancer research within 12 months. Important fundraising initiatives include his tennis charity exhibition Anthem LIVE! and the J-Block merchandise program. Blake also helps to raise funds for the Harlem Junior Tennis Program and hosts the organization’s annual fundraising event each year.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #261
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

^Cool.
KarlyM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #262
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

Blake Presented 2008 Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1...ticle_2988.asp

Australian legend Roy Emerson, winner of 12 singles and 16 doubles grand slam titles, presented ATP World Tour star James Blake with his 2008 ATP Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year award at the US Men’s Clay Court Championships in Houston following the conclusion of Blake’s doubles quarter-final victory Wednesday.

The Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year award is presented to one ATP World Tour player acknowledging their outstanding humanitarian contribution. Previous winners of the award have included Roger Federer, Carlos Moya, Patrick Rafter, former South African President Nelson Mandela and of course Arthur Ashe.

"Arthur Ashe is one of my idols and to be able to win this award which is named in is honour is very special to me," said Blake.

More than just a tennis player, Ashe demonstrated his commitment to social justice, health and humanitarian issues that has left a long-lasting legacy for the game of tennis. One such example is the foundation of the Arthur Ashe Tennis Complex in Soweto, which will see one of the poorest areas of Johannesburg host its first ATP Challenger event next week.

Blake was acknowledged for the creation of the Thomas Blake Sr. Memorial Research Fund at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre, as well as organising important fundraising initiatives including his tennis charity exhibition Anthem Live! and the J-Block merchandise program. The American has also helped to raise funds for the Harlem Junior Tennis Program, hosting their annual fundraising event.

The 29-year-old American said: "I am proud to be able to give back to the community, and to be able to do that in honour of my father, who along with my mom, played an important role in helping me to realise my dream of becoming a professional athlete, is especially pleasing for me."

Joining Emerson in presenting the Waterford Crystal trophy to Blake were US Men’s Clay Court Championships Tournament Director Van Barry and ATP World Tour Supervisor Mark Darby.

"Roy had some great clashes with Arthur during their careers and it means a lot to me that he was able to be here at River Oaks to make this occasion more special," said Blake.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #263
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

The Last Time... With James Blake

By JAMES BUDDELL
Published: May 25, 2009

American James Blake gave a light-hearted interview to DEUCE Magazine at the Estoril Open about the last time… he cooked for himself, he met his childhood hero, he played a match no one watched and when celebrity helped him.

I hired a tennis court?

It’s definitely been a while. I guess it was during the 2006 US Open, when my coach Brian Barker and I took time out from the media attention at Flushing Meadows and went off-site to Grand Central tennis courts. I think it cost $150 or something per hour to hire a court.

I met a childhood hero?

That would have been [former basketball player] Michael Jordan, immediately after the 2007 Australian Open. I loved watching him compete and play. I loved his intensity in every game.

I played a match that no-one watched?

When I started to come back in 2005, after my neck fracture and Zoster condition the previous year, I was outside of the Top 200 and played a couple of Challenger events. I distinctly remember at Tunica Resorts in Mississippi [May 2005] that not many people watched matches that week. It was pretty much one man and his dog.

I cooked for myself?

I never cook! As players we stay in hotels and travel all the time, so it must have been at least 10 years ago when I cooked macaroni and cheese – nothing difficult.

I shared a hotel room with another player?

I’m not sure about a player, but I stayed one night in the same room as my coach at Basel in October last year as the hotel was overcrowded.

Being recognised helped me?

Last week it definitely helped me in Rome because Brian and I were jogging on a track we weren’t supposed to be on. They must have recognised me as a tennis player, because despite not knowing Italian they were very easy on us.

I was asked if I was a tennis player?

That wasn’t that long ago, it was probably during Memphis in February this year.

I broke a string in a match?

I guess it was when I lost to Tomas Berdych [6-4, 6-7(3), 6-3] in Miami in March. I don’t break too many strings, but it will happen soon. I get the frames re-strung before every match, but I’m not like some of the players who change racquets with every ball change.

I forgot something important?

I’m pretty good at remembering important dates, as I have an assistant who helps me out. So it’s been a while, I never forgot my Mum, Dad and brother’s birthday.

I had to show my credential badge at a tournament?

I’m pretty much okay in the States, but the security is strict at the door in Indian Wells [BNP Paribas Open] so I needed to show it there in March.

I played a competitive sport other than tennis?

I played in a little golf tournament at my local country club just before Andy Roddick’s wedding. My handicap is 10, but I’m not very good. I very rarely played as a kid, but just started playing a little more. I play 5-10 times a year, but a little more in the last 12 months. I wouldn’t say I’m a natural at ball games.

I had a really unusual fan request?

The last time I checked my mail!

I played a practical joke in the locker room?

At Davis Cup we play plenty! The best one was against France in a 2002 semi-final in Paris. Todd Martin thought he could never be gotten with a practical joke. We [Blake, Roddick and Mardy Fish] had had a food fight in the locker room and he thought we were so immature. But I got him with a whipped-cream pie in his face during an interview with ESPN the next day. The last question was ‘can the young guys get you with a practical joke?’ and he said ‘no’.

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5...last_blake.asp
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #264
Last dance, Andy

James

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bag/index.html
Blake lacks sense of urgency

WTHIGOW James Blake? Another first-round loss in ignominious fashion. Here's a guy who, just a year ago, was looking like he might challenge for Slams. Now it's a challenge for him not to get bounced in straights in Round 1. -- Robin Smith, Detroit

We've made no secret of our personal fondness for Blake. But there's no sugar-coating the current state of his game. We didn't expect much on clay. But to lose in straight sets in the first round of Wimbledon? Not good. OK, most of his strong results came in lesser events, but still, Blake was a top-four player not all that long ago. He's even beaten Roger Federer within the last calendar year. A lot of you appear to be personally offended by Blake. "Overhyped." "Media creation." "Typical American style over substance." But I don't quite get how you can delight in the professional struggles of a genuinely good person.

We've talked before about Blake's sensitivities, about how his mental game doesn't become an otherwise bright guy. But how about this theory: I wonder if Blake isn't cursed by his backstory. Here is a guy who did not grow up as a coddled prodigy or a hot prospect. Even in his mid-teens, he was perceived as little more than a good college player. When Blake made The Show, he took nothing for granted. He was the "accidental pro," the guy who was thrilled simply to be playing tennis for a living -- a lucrative one at that. And while that I'm-playing-with-house-money mentality is great in the beginning, I wonder if it doesn't have its drawbacks in the end. Andy Roddick's game goes "off the boil" and there is some desperation. He switches coaches. He changes his routine. He fights like hell to extricate himself from a slump. With Blake, you don't get this sense of urgency. One wonders if he isn't saying -- subconsciously even -- "I never expected to be here anyway, so how upset can I be?"

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #265
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post Tang; have to say I am a bit disappointed in the recent results of JB but c'est la vie. What I find a bit pitiful is his c'est la vie attitude about the losses. Sense of urgency or lack thereof sounds about right.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #266
country flag KarlyM

There is a new post today on Peter Bodo's blog at Tennis.com that says James' Fila clothing line (remember that?) will be unveiled on August 27th at a Lord And Taylor store in Manhattan. It will be some sort of party co-sponsored by Tennis.com.

See the post here: http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tenni...me-yc-804.html

It also says the line will honor his father -- I'm guessing some of the proceeds could go to the cancer research fund.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #267
country flag KrisJB

KrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately out in Montreal due to foot injury...Hopes to come back in Cincy.
KrisJB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #268
country flag KarlyM

^ Bummer.

I just read that the New Haven tournament director contacted James last weekend saying that they would have a WC for him if he needed more preparation before the USO (since he now only has Cincy left on his schedule). Not exactly surprising.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #269
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

James
Old 09-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #270
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

James will be on LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON on Friday.