James News! - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-03-2006, 01:37 AM   #196
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: James News!

Woof woof.

Seriously you know what endeared me to him more recently? The davis cup where he called those in the know on the carpet. I am so used to folks pussy footing around stuff that his response was so full of integrity. So lacking in many professions. And what is even funnier to me is that some folks were mad at him for saying anything. WTF. He was a bad sport?
Ok I need to get me to bed.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #197
country flag surfpinky

surfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond repute

GO JAMES!!! [:!!
________

JAMES BLAKE HONORED

May 3, 2006
Blake's High School Names Courts in His Honor

© ATP

James BlakeThe four hard courts on the north side of the Fairfield Warde High School in Fairfield, Conn. were renamed 'The James Blake Courts' in a ceremony on Monday prior to one of the Mustangs' home matches.

Blake, who earned All-State honors three times before graduating in 1997, was joined by his mother Betty and brother Thomas at the ceremony. Thomas, James' older brother, also played tennis at FHS.

During the ceremony, the town's mayor declared May 1 "James Blake Day." Last year the World No. 7 was given a key to the city.

School officials praised James for his on and off court achievements during the ceremony.

"As big as an honor as this is for James, it's an even bigger honor for us," said James Lee, the Chairman of the Board of Education. "Not because of what he's done in tennis, but for the person he is."

Dr. Ann Clarke, Superintendent of Schools, heaped similar praise on Blake. "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. That is James Blake," Clarke said. "You become great when you give back, and I cannot think of a person who exemplifies that more."
© ATP

James Blake signs autographs for high school studentsThe crowd of more than 200 students roared when James himself came to the podium. "This is really where I grew up, on these courts," he said. "I see my first grade teacher here today, and I can't believe it. I can't believe how big a deal this is and how many people still care about me."

Pilot Pen Tennis Tournament Director Anne Worcester attended and offered members of the FHS community tickets to her August event in the nearby neighborhood.
"...but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo when he wants to..."
surfpinky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #198
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

aw James!

heeeehee his face in the first pic

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #199
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

CHATTIN' WITH JAMES BLAKE
By Keith Hawkins and Matt Wilansky, ESPN.com

James Blake, the ranked No. 7 in the world, made his way to ESPN earlier this week and sat down to answer a few questions about his game, countryman Andre Agassi, and what it takes to beat Roger Federer.

Q: What have you learned from your five-set loss to Andre Agassi in last year's U.S. Open?

James Blake: Last year's U.S. Open has helped me grow and motivated me to now be known more for my wins than such an epic loss. It was a fun match to be a part of -- and I've been a part of a few important losses in my day -- but I like to think it motivated me to start practicing harder so I would know the feeling on the other side. … To win a Grand Slam, expecially the U.S. Open, would be my ideal situation. I've always been a fan of that tournament and it would mean a lot to hold up the trophy.

Q: How long will Andre Agassi play?

JB: I think we all would have guessed (he would have retired) years before this -- especially when he took a hiatus in the middle of his career. I don't think a lot of people would have guessed he would still be playing at 36 years old. I wouldn't put anything past him now because of the way he has kept himself in shape. I hope he plays for years to come, but I know it's becoming more difficult with the wear and tear his body is taking.

Q: Can you put into perspective what Agassi has meant to the game?

JB: On the court, he's one of the greatest ever, that's not going to be argued. He's one of the few players who has won the career Grand Slam, which shows how versatile he is. But off the court he's meant even more in terms of giving back to his community in Las Vegas and to the kids who have benefitted from his school. He's helped me out in my career, he's helped a lot of the younger players and I know he has done a lot of work with Andy Roddick. He's really a champion, on and off the court in terms of his ability to put other people first -- which is something not a lot people can do.

Q: Which part of your game do you need to improve upon the most?

JB: My ability to turn defense into offense. I've learned how to play better defense, but being able to stay in the point and eventually take the offensive is the next step. Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal do this really well.

Q: In the final at Indian Wells, you were up two breaks against Roger Federer in the first set and lost. What would you have done differently?

JB: Hold on to that lead [Laughs]. I got a little ahead of myself and started thinking about winning the set. From that, I learned to keep fighting and to not think about the result until the set is over. I should have known he was going to keep fighting. He's No. 1 in the world for a reason and he doesn't ever stop trying, even when down two breaks.

Q: Does Roger Federer have a weakness?

JB: I wouldn't say there is a weakness, but I think he has a weaker side. His backhand is not as dangerous as his forehand, and any time a player has a side that can't hurt as much, I try to attack it and make them beat me from that side. Roger's backhand is still very good, but not as lethal as his forehand. Attack the backand if you can, then if you feel comfortable, move forward and take the net away from him.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 05-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #200
country flag Deboogle!.

James played an exhibition with Johnny Mac last night! Here are a couple articles from the local paper
-------------------
McEnroe, Blake help put tennis on area map
2006-05-04

The address was 2639 Topside Road, Louisville, Tenn.

Or as it unfolded Wednesday night, the center of the their universe. Current ATP star James Blake battled the erstwhile face of tennis, John McEnroe, in an exhibition that oozed with starpower wattage normally reserved for The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Wimbledon, London, SW19 5AE.

Blake won, 6-4, 6-2. As did everyone involved with Blount Memorial Hospital's Healthy Returns for Education program, which got Lenny Simpson involved and hosted the event at his state-of-the-art Centre Court Racquet Club.

``I think people really got behind it. It was nice,'' said McEnroe, who won seven Grand Slam single championships -- three of them at Wimbledon. ``My parents were always sort of pushing and talking to me about education, knowing that I loved sports, but just in case it didn't work out. Because for most people, it doesn't.

``I was one of the lucky few, so a good starting point is education.''

Half of the proceeds raised from the $75-a-ticket, 1,000-seat event were earmarked for the science and health curriculum in Blount County's various school systems. The remainder goes to the Blount Memorial Foundation -- a program that provides scholarships for Blount County students entering health professions, with ``a particular focus on hard-to-fill positions.''

``All the match wins enable us to do something like that, and for the kids to know who we are, to maybe listen to what we have to say,'' said Blake, who flies to Rome today to begin preparing for the French Open later this month. ``Because education is stressed, and luckily John and I have had a little bit of education and a whole lot of tennis education.

``We tried to help them with everything we've learned. The biggest part of getting wins on the court is that you get to have a voice off the court and try to make a positive difference.''

Simpson thinks the event will splash this area's tennis scene like an arrest-free summer for Tennessee football and generate a long-term ripple effect.

``I think this was one of those crossroads events that really could now (take) tennis in this area, which has probably been growing steadily and consistently, but I think after this event, with these two guys here, and people seeing it, you have people who don't play tennis who now might start playing tennis because of this,'' said the charismatic Simpson, a former tennis pro who could surely win an election on write-in ballots. ``It only takes one thing like this. I think it has boosted tennis in this area tremendously, and in East Tennessee as far as that's concerned.''

McEnroe believes the country needs tennis, needs sports in general. After unleashing a few of his profanity-laced tirades at match officials -- would the evening have been complete without them? -- he casually sipped a Molson and waxed about the future of tennis -- and the country's health.

``Sports is important, even if you don't end up being a professional athlete as far as I'm concerned,'' said the 1999 International Tennis Hall of Fame inductee. ``You've got to get out there -- we all are getting so fat in America -- and work out. So that's a key element of it. (Education and exercise) are both key elements of it.''

Both stars conducted a free clinic with area youths before the exhibition. By the time the evening unfolded, it was impossible to deduce whether children or adults were more awestruck. A charity auction before the match fetched $1,400 for a pair of Blake's used tennis shoes. McEnroe's racquet reeled in $2,200.

All in support of education. In bolstering tennis. In affirmation of youth.

``The effect that clinic had on these kids -- they'll never forget that,'' Simpson said. ``They'll never forget hitting with John McEnroe and James Blake.''

Because for one night, a pair of tennis' brightest stars transformed East Tennessee into Wimbledon.

===============================================

Patrons witness legends of today, tomorrow
2006-05-04

The whippersnapper was the first one to reach the court.

James Blake did exactly what a young, attractive, twenty-something would do in that situation. He jogged through the entrance, paused slightly to cheese and then hurried off to his assigned bench.

The codger, however, knew exactly what to do.

John McEnroe was greeted like a war hero by a crowd of 1,000-plus eager patrons, all waiting for a moment they would now share at every holiday and business meeting. McEnroe almost looked methodical as he strolled casually through the masses before reaching the stage.

There he finally gave the peeps what they all wanted to see -- two arms extended, thumbs pointed to the heavens.

For some it was $75 to catch a glimpse of McEnroe's fabled personality. For others sitting comfortably in prime box seating, the totals must have been ridiculously higher.

Healthy Returns for Education brought together a melting pot to view a rare exhibition match between two of the game's biggest names. Blake brought everything for the lay tennis fan -- good personality, a million-dollar smile and recent stretch of headlines.

McEnroe, on the other hand, is a name that transcends the sport. And following suit, most of those in attendance at the Centre Court Racquet Club Wednesday night found his name as the most popular dog in the fight.

Eventually, it may not be the name they all remember.

James Blake is just like every other 26-year-old -- well, except for the No. 7 world-ranking, modeling contract and millions of millions of dollars.

Life has been a steady ascent for Blake since 2004. He, above most, deserved higher fortunes.

In that year, the former top-ranked collegiate player broke his neck in a freak accident in Rome, lost his father and contracted a disease that temporarily took away most of his vision, hearing and feeling on the side of this face.

On Wednesday, he was whipping one of the game's legends. Blake won the exhibition 6-4, 6-2. Beauty went before age, and the hare stole one from the tortoise.

``I was playing as hard as I possibly could,'' said McEnroe, now 47 but also a three-time singles and five-time doubles champion at Wimbledon.

``But I'm not used to that pace. The pace is unbelievable and his feet are just phenomenal.

``He's one of the fastest guys on the (ATP) tour.''

Speed isn't Blake's biggest asset, however. For a player that has gone from being the biggest fish in the pond (college) to not even being in the pond at all, life now has new meaning, and the ceiling could never be higher.

``For me to have planned on any of it (the hardships) three years ago would have been crazy,'' Blake said. ``So now I'm ready for the unexpected. Injuries can happen. Positive things can happen. I try to enjoy it and make the best of any situation that can come my way.''

Wednesday that situation was helping raise money for scholarships in a part of the country he's barely seen beyond the lines of its tennis courts.

``I'm actually undefeated in Knoxville now,'' Blake said. ``I guess I should come here more.''

No one corrected Blake when he said it. He probably didn't even realize that he was in a different city and county, and that quality fishing rested just 100 yards away from Centre Court's parking lot.

After the handshakes and autographs, Blake would be off again from East Tennessee to a quick layover in New York, and then back to site of his lowest professional moment.

He'll be preparing for the French Open over the next week in Rome.

``The last time I was in Rome I was lying in a hospital bed,'' Blake said. ``It was not so much fun, but I'm going to go back there with a smile on my face.

``Different hotel, different practice court, for sure. I don't think I'll be back on that practice court where I put a little dent in that net post.''

During his short day in Louisville, Blake left a much more pleasant impression. This one on his opponent, a person who should know talent when he sees it.

``He's peaking now and this is the best he's ever played,'' McEnroe said. ``He's got a great chance to do something special. There's a lot of good competition out there right now, but he's as good as any of them.''

Blake walked away with a similar feeling of appreciation.

``Now I get to tell my grandkids I beat John McEnroe,'' he said. ``I won't bring up the ages.''

If he keeps getting better, Blake might not have to.

============================================

All-stars face off in exhibition match
2006-05-04
by Kelly Franklin

Daily Times Correspondent

It took just five minutes for John McEnroe to have his first dispute with the umpires once the tennis legend squared off with James Blake Wednesday night.

But much more went on before and after McEnroe's first outburst in his exhibition match capping the ``Healthy Returns for Education Tennis Challenge'' event at Centre Court Racquet Club.

4:45 p.m. -- Wes McNeillie, a seventh-grader at Maryville Middle, is a bit disappointed during the first few minutes of the youth clinic, receiving instructions from Centre Court pros and local high school coaches.

Then McEnroe and Blake, the world's No. 7 ranked player, step out into the bright sunshine and join the 80-plus youngsters, exchanging a few shots and tips with most of them.

After returning three clean shots in a row to McEnroe, with the pro's shots becoming crisper with each volley, McNeillie's mood is upbeat.

``I was really nervous, and it was really challenging when he hit it back (harder each time),'' said McNeillie. ``He's really gonna make anyone work for it.''

5:40 p.m. -- The stars finish their brief appearance with some general tips about tennis, attitude and hard work.

``Footwork is key,'' McEnroe says. ``Racquet preparation, watching the ball -- these are basics. But if you don't get to a ball nothing else matters. You've got to get it into your head when young to get in position, and that means footwork.''

Both remind the students about school work. Blake, who studied at Harvard, says, ``(McEnroe) went to Stanford, so we both put the books first. Have fun, but hit the books hard.''

6:10 p.m. -- The two players take a short break -- the bathrooms in Centre Court having been converted into massage rooms, to keep them loose for their later exhibition.

Adrian Czarnowski, an exchange student now on the William Blount tennis team, is a little disappointed since he and some others didn't get a chance to hit with the stars.

When asked his favorite tennis player, the Polish student stuck with his European roots, quickly announcing ``(Roger) Federer,'' the No. 1 ranked Swiss phenom.

6:45 p.m. -- A who's who of Blount County VIPs enjoy a reception with fine food, drinks and a chance to have pictures made with the stars.

Dr. Bob Proffitt, one of the top senior tennis players in the state, is able to enjoy his favorite sport after wrapping up his successful race for the Democratic spot in County Commission elections. There are countless area physicians, politicians and socialites in the crowd.

7:15 p.m. -- The reception goes on while Janet Olson and partner are losing the final match of the Ladies doubles competition on the main court.

Olson, also an event silver-level sponsor, is more honed in on her chance to play doubles later with McEnroe.

The 4.0-rated player admits that McEnroe and Illie Nastase, another former ``bad boy of tennis,'' are her favorites. ``I love the bad boys,'' says the spunky Olson.

After the main game, Olson and McEnroe team up for a victory over Blake and another auction winner, with Olson finishing off the match with a strong rally against Blake for the winning point.

7:50 p.m. -- The stands are full as master of ceremonies Hallerin Hilton Hill auctions off a few more items to benefit local educational institutions. Later, during the match, Kevin Clayton of Clayton Homes -- a primary sponsor along with the Blount Memorial Hospital Foundation and Centre Court -- announces to the sell-out crowd that net proceeds have eclipsed $200,000.

8:05 p.m. -- Blake appears to loud applause that grows when the audience sees that his white shirt is trimmed with bright orange piping. Nonetheless, McEnroe's entrance is clearly greeted with heavier enthusiasm. Ticket pricing may be a self-fulfilling guarantee of an older crowd, more aware of Johnny Mac's long career than young Blake's.

8:16 p.m. -- The match begins with a McEnroe ace. Five minutes later in game two, the 47-year old has his first run-in with the umpires.

After a Blake shot close to the line is ruled in, Mac yells to the linesman, ``He's No. 7 in the world and you are going to give him two more inches?''

8:46 p.m. -- McEnroe throws his racket to the ground in disgust ... or to please the crowd, which came expecting such antics ... or both.

He then walks to the sideline and changes into a shirt of the same design as Blake's. The crowd loves it. The players keep a straight face after the match when saying that there was no conspiracy leading to both of them ending up in Big Orange.

9:40 p.m. -- Both men have made some outstanding shots, but the younger Blake's speed and power lead to a 6-4, 6-2 victory.

``Now I can tell my grandkids that I beat John McEnroe,'' says the 26-year old rising star. ``I won't mention the ages.''

10:15 p.m. -- After a few final chances for locals to mix with the celebrities, the crowd thins. Blake meets with the press, but McEnroe is miffed about something, and he may not come.

After a few anxious minutes, Mac does appear, looking relaxed in a Jimi Hendrix T-shirt, sipping a cold beer.

He is gracious and calm. His part of the show is over, and he hopes that everyone enjoyed the performance.

Lenny Simpson, host of Centre Court, definitely has.

``How could it not be great? John McEnroe and James Blake here, 80 or so kids in a great clinic, great weather, a big crowd came in...it doesn't get any better than this,'' Simpson gushes.

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 05-04-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #201
country flag Deboogle!.

ok one more article, and a pic
=================
Lots of Racquet

Tennis clinic, exhibition by McEnroe, Blake is a big hit in Blount County

By JAMAR HUDSON, hudsonj@knews.com
May 4, 2006

LOUISVILLE - Inside Centre Court Racquet Club Wednesday afternoon, Sonya Emert stood in a position that was very familiar to her.

A six-year tennis player, Emert had thought she'd experienced plenty on the court. But this day was different. Her opponent was James Blake, the No. 7 player in the world.

Emert stood confident, but the serves came a little quicker than any she had faced before, the rallies had a little more zip. Blake understandably took it easy on her, but for Emert, the experience was one she won't forget.

"It was awesome, nothing (I've experienced) has come close to this," the Louisville resident said. "The serves just came by so quickly I couldn't react."

Emert won an auction for the opportunity to play against Blake. After the session, Emert said Blake gave her some tips on how she can improve her game.

"He was such a sweet guy and very generous," Emert said.

Approximately 1,000 people where on hand throughout the day for the inaugural Healthy Returns for Tennis Challenge.

And while the objective was to work on tennis skills and benefit a worthy cause, the highlight was the appearances by Blake and tennis great John McEnroe.

As parents stood with video and digital cameras, the kids had a once-in-a-lifetime experience as Blake and McEnroe took to the court for a short clinic.

The two gave tips and hit practice backhands, forehands and volleys and the kid were able to sharpen their skills with a tennis hall of famer and one of the up and coming stars in the game.

"Bend your knees!"

"Move your feet!"

"Good job," said McEnroe as he hit practice shots to the kids, some of whom seemed nervous and in awe of the seven-time grand slam champion.

For Blake, it's the easiest part of his job.

"All the match wins enable us to do something like that," Blake said. "The biggest part of getting wins on the court is that you get to have a voice off the court."

A fellow lefthander, 13-year-old John Anderson of Knoxville, was one of many youngsters who were able to practice his skills against McEnroe.

An aspiring tennis pro himself, the experience was invaluable for Anderson.

"It was great because I've never hit with a pro before," Anderson said. "(As a left-hander) we both care about out strokes rather than where our shots go.

"It helped because I'll know what to expect in later matches."

Blake and McEnroe stressed that while playing tennis is great, the main focus should be on education.

The day ended with McEnroe and Blake going head-to-head in an exhibition match. Blake defeated McEnroe 6-4, 6-2. The 47-year-old McEnroe had his hands full with the younger, more-athletic Blake.

"It would've been nice to have it a little bit easier," said McEnroe of the match. "I was playing as hard as I could. I'm not used to that pace.

"His speed is just phenomenal."

Centre Court Racquet Club has been in existence for six months. Director Lenny Simpson hopes having an event of this magnitude will be the start of many high profile events to come.

"We had a great week and tournament, this is an event I've wanted to do for a long time. We're very fortunate to have John and James here," Simpson said. "This is a memorable experience those kids we'll cherish for the rest of their lives

"They don't really realize the magnitude of it yet, but they'll remember that forever."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (23.0 KB, 7 views)

Old 05-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #202
mishar

mishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's very sweet... I'm glad James didn't lose though that would have been embarassing!
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #203
mishar

mishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the articles, Deb!

I'm intrigued by the idea of the celebrities and socialites of Blout County, TN!
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #204
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

I've uploaded the James Blake segment of "Men of Tennis" here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OOYKCh7brY

Happy viewing
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 05-19-2006 at 06:55 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:39 AM   #205
country flag Deboogle!.

ouch |:
===========================
On the Courts by Mike Szostak: Blake's withdrawal big disappointment to Newport tennis

01:00 AM EDT on Sunday, May 14, 2006

Here's some bad news for James Blake fans and the International Tennis Hall of Fame.

Blake, ranked No. 7 in the world this week, has withdrawn from the Campbell's Hall of Fame Tennis Championships in Newport in July.

"Naturally, we're disappointed," said Mark Stenning, chief executive of the Hall of Fame and the tournament director who gave Blake his first break in the form of a wild card in 1998, when Blake was a Harvard freshman.

Disappointed? I guess.

Blake committed to this tournament in February. He signed a contract. He said that returning to Newport, where he has played seven of the last eight years, is "like coming home . . . a great time for me."

Clearly, now that Blake has cracked the Top 10 of tennis, Newport isn't his home away from home. He apparently got word to Stenning that he has played 31 matches this year, is tired and wants to take some time off after the French Open and Wimbledon.

That's fine. Most of the Top 10 take the week off after Wimbledon before heading to the U.S. for the summer hard court season or to Europe for more play on clay.

But Blake's withdrawal at this time puts Stenning and the tournament in a ticklish situation.

"We used him on all out printed material, our ticket brochures," Stenning said. Those are collector's items now. And fans who bought tickets with the sole intention of seeing Blake are out of luck. No refunds.

Blake would have been the headliner for the July 10-16 tournament. Now Stenning has to scramble a bit. Three-time champion Greg Rusedski has agreed to come back, and Stenning is trying to convince Robby Ginepri to return. Mardy Fish, Jeff Morrison, Paul Goldstein and Vince Spadea are already in the fold.

The interesting thing about Blake and the Hall of Fame is that, except for reaching the semifinals in 2001 and losing to Taylor Dent in the final in 2002, his results on the Newport Casino grass have been uninspiring. He went out in the first round in 1998, 2003 and 2005 and lost in the second round in 1999 and 2004. He did not play in 2000.

Blake's agent, Carlos Fleming of Cleveland-based International Management Group, was traveling and did not return a voicemail seeking an explanation.

Blake must have a big summer to protect his computer points and his ranking. A year ago he reached the final in Washington, won in New Haven, reached the quarterfinal at the U.S. Open and won in Stockholm. Repeating that success will be a daunting challenge, one that will certainly require some rest, as the folks in Newport learned to their dismay a few days ago.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #206
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

James tops ACE magazine's list of Hot Tennis Men this year Andy came in second.

The full list:

10: Juan Carlos Ferrero
9: Richard Gasquet
8: Rafael Nadal
7: Roger Federer
6: Tommy Haas
5: Andre Agassi
4: Feliciano Lopez
3: Marat Safin
2: Andy Roddick
1: James Blake
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 05-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #207
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where to put this tidbit but James has also won the ARAG trophy for fairplay this year. The votes come from the team captains and jounalists.

Last edited by cobalt60 : 05-23-2006 at 04:14 PM.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #208
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

You Debitize me if this was already posted but I thought it was cool!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../mb/index.html

Can you confirm this: Friend of a friend, etc., etc., went to high school with James Blake. Blake was so good he would give up points so that the other guy wouldn't feel too bad. One day, Blake was running late for prom and still hadn't picked up his tux. Before a match he apologized to the other guy for what he was about to do. Blake won 6-0, 6-0 in 20 minutes.
-- Duane Wright, Washington D.C.
Here's the official response from Blake himself: "Haha, that's pretty funny. It's a little bit of truth and a little bit of myth. I did used to give some guys points just because I was screwing around. And then when I played the kid on the day I had to go to prom, I beat him in 25 minutes. 11 minutes first set and 14 for the second. It was 0 and 0, but I didn't apologize before the match. I apologized after the match. And I apologized to the coach, too, and then got in my car and was out of there in a few minutes."
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #209
Last dance, Andy

Attention New York City slickers

Free Tickets For Blake's NYC Interview On Monday

James Blake is coming to Manhattan on Monday and you can be there to greet him. The Yonkers, N.Y. native will be the featured guest on ESPN's sports talk show "Quite Frankly" with Stephen A. Smith on Monday, July 10.

The show is scheduled to start taping at 7:30 p.m. on Monday (schedule subject to change) at the Hotel Pennsylvania at 15 Penn Plaza across from the world famous Madison Square Garden. Doors open at 6 p.m.

For free ticket reservations to attend the taping of Blake's interview, please call (646) 708-7150 or email Jackea.X.Chan.-nd@espn.com. If you leave a message please be sure to include:

Correct spelling of your first and last name
Your telephone number, including area code
Spell your email address

The free tickets for Blake's appearance on"Quite Frankly" are "extremely limited". If you are selected for free tickets, you will receive a phone call back and a ticket reservation letter via email.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 07-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #210
country flag Deboogle!.

gonna go tangy?