OK so Mardy IS playing Rome - now he needs to win a match! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-29-2005, 04:47 AM   #16
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mardy's not playing Rome - he's playing Tunica Challenger instead.

uh, yes, it's been the consensus for many months.

You'd think the Olympics would've been a turning point in a positive way, but considering he hasn't won 2 matches in a row since, I guess maybe it was a turning point in a bad way.

Whatever it is, it's about 95% mental.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 04:54 AM   #17
country flag Éowyn

Éowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond repute

i think it's all mental! maybe we should just start lying to him and tell him it's an exhibition game, he seems to do alright then. "yes mardy roland garos is an exhibition tournament"..."no mardy it's not the french open it's a charity event"....."yes it's french for charity"..."honest"

you never know it could work. maybe i'll try that on him at queens!
~~Feli~Daniele~Arnaud~Fernando~Seb~Andy~~
~Taylor~Mike & Bob~Marat~Julien~
and to my girls
~~Sanja~Daniela~Ana~Dinara~~

You're kind of like the blonde chick in the Munsters
http://www.menstennisforums.com/imag...ine=1151095902

Proud to be a Sparette
Éowyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:02 AM   #18
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why Mardy chose to play Queens instead of Halle... the field is much tougher.

This is in Tennis-X's latest barbs... ouch.

"Is anyone playing worse than Mardy Fish this year? What's up, Super-Coach Todd Martin? Double what's up, traveling coach Scott Humphries?"

Anyway, I guess we'll find out tomorrow if Mardy's playing Rome or not - but that means he probably didn't leave until late Thursday or later, which means his preparation is next-to-nothing. Blah.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #19
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
uh, yes, it's been the consensus for many months.

You'd think the Olympics would've been a turning point in a positive way, but considering he hasn't won 2 matches in a row since, I guess maybe it was a turning point in a bad way.

Whatever it is, it's about 95% mental.

I hope he pulls out of it. I know Taylor Dent was shaken up for a few months when he got schooled by Roddick at the Australian Open, 6-0,6-0,6-0 or whatever.

Why can't all guys be this sexy?

Member of the MTF pervert squad

Partygirl rules!!

best MTF thread ever - tangerine_dream is a bully
binkygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:45 PM   #20
country flag Deboogle!.

huh? Mardy wasn't beaten like that, he lost a tough, winnable 5-set match. That happens to players all the time. You get SMASHED by your countryman like Taylor did, well ok I understand that would be tough and take some of your confidence away. Nope, the Olympics loss isn't a good enough excuse for me. Plus it was many many months ago and he's made a lot of changes since then. nope, not an excuse.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #21
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

What I find interesting (and some may have forgotten) is that right after the Olympics Fish played in the US Open and lost in the second round from two sets to one up again, this time versus Tabara. That really seemed to be the killing blow, he completely crumbled after that in the indoor season - 3 points won in one set against Ancic but he somehow managed to come back and win, then he lost to Pavel 7-6 in the third after having served for the match. It's become obvious that he was massively overrated - not his talent level, but the amount he could achieve with that talent was severely overestimated. Two or three good tournaments a year will not get it done, and of course he has these continual injury problems.

The idea of playing a challenger isn't that bad in itself, but playing it on green clay and moreover on indoor green clay makes no sense as a preparation for playing on outdoor red clay. He could at least enter an event where conditions are similar to the major tournaments, but playing against inferior opposition on what is virtually a different surface will be of very little use, methinks.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:10 PM   #22
country flag Deboogle!.

It's not often this happens, but Sjengster I totally agree with you. And some of us have definitely not forgotten his ridiculous capitulation at the USO.

But regardless, this was so long ago that I feel like with a new coaching team and stuff, he really should be beyond this mentally.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #23
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry Deb - we'll agree again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'll agree again some sunny day...

I almost wonder whether the clay season is even worth bothering about for Fish - he doesn't have the pressure on him to perform on all surfaces as Roddick does since he's not in the same elite bracket, and he could almost adopt the same approach that old serve-volleyers like Rusedski do, ie use this period to train and build up strength for the grass season. If you wanted to devise the perfect anti-clay player then Fish is surely it, I still can't work out why PMac insisted on playing him in the DC final just to keep the young team dynamic going when everyone's favourite grinder Vinny Ice handed him and Roddick a lesson in practice sessions leading up to the tie.

There are some players who are limited by weak mental strength, some players limited by poor movement and fitness, some players who don't know how to co-ordinate the various elements of their game effectively - but I can't think of many who combine all three of those problems like Fish does. I was rooting for him in the Olympic final to stop the Raccoon claiming gold, and he's the only American who tries to play all-court tennis, but I prefer the kamikaze no-groundstroke approach of Denthead instead.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:21 PM   #24
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
Some of us have definitely not forgotten his ridiculous capitulation at the USO.
omg, I still have Mardy's Olympics final and second-round dismantling on tape somewhere. I find it really hard to watch Mardy's matches lately. Not because he loses, but it's the WAY he loses that really gets me (and everyone else too, I assume).

Throughout the entire second-round USO match, all I remember is Johnny Mac trashing Mardy the whole time. And Mardy deserved it. Remember all the trashing Andy got after that biazarre AO loss to Hewitt? Andy took it to heart and learned from it.

But everyone gets on Mardy--we all see and KNOW that he's squandering his talent--and you never get the impression that any of the well-meaning criticism is sinking in with him, or even if he really cares. He is so frustrating.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:25 PM   #25
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
I find it really hard to watch Mardy's matches lately. Not because he loses, but it's the WAY he loses that really gets me (and everyone else too, I assume).
Yea, definitely. Blarg. I agree with everything you said. Mardy is so talented, he just needs to put it all together, it's so frustrating.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:17 PM   #26
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennisreporters.net/comme...KC_042805.html
Quote:
Is anyone playing worse than Mardy Fish this year? What's up, Super-Coach Todd Martin. Double what's up, traveling coach Scott Humphries?
The photo of Todd Martin (in the Memphis locker-room earlier this year) that appears in Deuce is not a picture of a happy coach. He's lurking in the background while Fish is joking around with Blake before their match. Even though Fish went on to win that match (by the skin of his teeth), that photo of Martin is one of the most telling I've ever seen.

Last edited by smucav : 04-29-2005 at 07:22 PM.
smucav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #27
country flag Deboogle!.

that's funny that the thing I posted from tennis-x is word-for-word the same thing as at TR.net - I wonder who ripped whom off?

Old 04-29-2005, 08:08 PM   #28
country flag annutjuh

annutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond reputeannutjuh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smucav
http://www.tennisreporters.net/comme...KC_042805.html
The photo of Todd Martin (in the Memphis locker-room earlier this year) that appears in Deuce is not a picture of a happy coach. He's lurking in the background while Fish is joking around with Blake before their match. Even though Fish went on to win that match (by the skin of his teeth), that photo of Martin is one of the most telling I've ever seen.
I haven't seen that picture, is there anywhere i can find it?
annutjuh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:34 PM   #29
country flag Deboogle!.

i'm not at home right now but I have the magazine at home and I can scan it if no one provides it by then, but yea Toddy doesn't look happy.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:12 PM   #30
country flag Éowyn

Éowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond reputeÉowyn has a reputation beyond repute

the thing that bugged me most with the olympics was massus supposed injury (which i still believe to be fake).. most layers when playing against an ijured player turn on the steam roller mode and work on either forcing the player to withdraw or to get the quick breaks. Mardy however seems to think "ooh shit he's injured i should go easy on him now" and lets them back into the game, he needs to learn to close them out sometimes i just wish he'd get brad as a coach could brad'd hit some sense into him if he had to.

it's weird coz it always used to be robby that really frustrated me and watching mardy was although frustrating seemed to be like a breath of fresh air compared to robbys bewildering ways but recently they seemed to have swapped.

i do still believe mardy will get there and will reach his potential i just have no diea how damn long it's going to take him!
~~Feli~Daniele~Arnaud~Fernando~Seb~Andy~~
~Taylor~Mike & Bob~Marat~Julien~
and to my girls
~~Sanja~Daniela~Ana~Dinara~~

You're kind of like the blonde chick in the Munsters
http://www.menstennisforums.com/imag...ine=1151095902

Proud to be a Sparette
Éowyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote