How 'fannish' can and should moderators be? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
country flag tribalfusion

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute
Default How 'fannish' can and should moderators be?

The question I have pertains to moderators who are particularly active in threads in the GM section and who display a marked bias for one or another player. This arose in a recent thread dealing with Djokovic match in a discussion with the moderator known as Time Violation.

It seems rather inadvisable for a moderator to behave like any other poster if he/she wants to be in a position 'super partes.' I believe it undermines any sense that the forum is run well and largely impartially and creates a climate in which dissenters will obviously feel put upon. I stress that this is regardless of whether the moderator in question actually takes it a step further and actively polices threads in accordance with his/her own views.

This is why judges recuse themselves from any case which has to do with them personally in any way in fact.

So my question, in sum, is whether one should be permitted to be an active "fan" in general threads when one chooses to don the hat of moderator.

Thank you
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How 'fannish' can and should moderators be?

I can detect SDG's syndrome in this guy. Fights with everyone, attacking everybody, people start to return on same way, he stands one against hundred, feels desperate, starts to see nonexistent things and due to his misery everybody becomes guilty to him

As a guy who was witnessing to case like this, can advice you, try to heal it before it's too late.

Last edited by samanosuke : 10-11-2013 at 05:51 PM.
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
I can detect SDG's syndrome in this guy. Fights with everyone, attacking everybody, people start to return on same way, he stands one against hundred, feels desperate, starts to see nonexistent things and due to his misery everybody becomes guilty to him
Thank you for your contribution however it was of course irrelevant. We have more than enough opportunities to deal with your issues in GM on a day to day basis without bringing them in here as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Alright, let's see..

Obviously, the main aspect of being a mod is that they have to show complete impartiality when it comes to dealing with forumers and the various issues that arise around the forum. Anyone who is unable to be unbiased with their moderating should never become a moderator.

All moderators on this forum are forumers first - not people employed for the sole reason of moderating a forum like robots. They're fans of Tennis first and foremost and enjoy posting about it and about their favourites. As long as being a fan isn't affecting their moderating decisions, it shouldn't be a problem. If it does, then it is a serious matter that should be attended to.

I understand that you do not see it this way, and you want mods to not only moderate objectively, but to post objectively about Tennis, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
Alright, let's see..

Obviously, the main aspect of being a mod is that they have to show complete impartiality when it comes to dealing with forumers and the various issues that arise around the forum. Anyone who is unable to be unbiased with their moderating should never become a moderator.

All moderators on this forum are forumers first - not people employed for the sole reason of moderating a forum like robots. They're fans of Tennis first and foremost and enjoy posting about it and about their favourites. As long as being a fan isn't affecting their moderating decisions, it shouldn't be a problem. If it does, then it is a serious matter that should be attended to.

I understand that you do not see it this way, and you want mods to not only moderate objectively, but to post objectively about Tennis, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the explanation independently of my own views on the topic.

So in theory a moderator can post like pretty much any forum participant who isn't committing an infraction if I have understood you correctly?

It does seem odd to me to think that very vocal fans of one player could also be effective moderators. I know everyone on here is a fan so I'm not suggesting they be robots without preferences but it seems like there is a lot of ground between that and being just as active a participant as the most vocal fans.

Have there been cases of moderators themselves receiving infractions in the course of these threads?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Why does it matter? We users know each other. Before we became moderators, you all knew who we like and support. It doesn't influence how we do our things.

Wish all of you were supporting on threads only. Supporting shouldn't be mixed up with trolling and hating. It's answer for your last question only. Infractions for supporting? If you feel we break any rules, feel free to report and we act on the same way.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonja1989 View Post
Why does it matter? We users know each other. Before we became moderators, you all knew who we like and support. It doesn't influence how we do our things.

Wish all of you were supporting on threads only. Supporting shouldn't be mixed up with trolling and hating. It's answer for your last question only. Infractions for supporting? If you feel we break any rules, feel free to report and we act on the same way.
It matters because if someone is moderating generally it should imply a different type of behavior from that of a simple forum participant. A moderator is by definition not a simple forum participant and in theory should be trying to "moderate" so someone wanting to be a moderator should understand it also implies a somewhat different approach to overall participation.

As for trolling etc, there is a fine line at times between supporting and trolling and an adept participant in discussion can fan the flames instead of quieting them down. Someone who is too caught up in "his player" is less likely to calm them down.

These are hardly my personal concepts but rather fairly widely accepted views on the topic in general.

I'm not sure I have ever seen what the rules or code of conduct would be for a moderator (if you have a link or explanation handy I would appreciate it) but what I am discussing is likely more far reaching.

Last edited by tribalfusion : 10-11-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonja1989 View Post

It seems to me that moderators should be held to a higher standard than other posters. It shouldn't just be a question of whether a moderator broke a rule, but whether the moderator is modeling behavior the moderation team would like to see on this board.

So being rude, calling names, etc. is not against the rules, but should a moderator do it?

I'm not commenting on Time Violation at all, but asking the question in general. It's a question I've asked many times, but not gotten an answer to other than "no." My understanding is that it is not against the rules to troll or mock or call names, so that would be ok for a moderator too? And believe me, I don't think Time Violation did those things, my question is purely hypothetical.

Shouldn't there be a code of conduct for moderators that is written and posted?
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Omg you are such an attention seeker tribalfusion

You register to this site because you're is a tennis fan first,fan of certain player(s) and enjoy the debate, you don't join in to become a moderator.I have not seen any behaviour from TV to warrant your despair,forcing you to open a thread and receive more attention....In short you have been making a mountain out of a molehill,lighten up,you're taking things too seriously.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old 10-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Moderators can't be fans of a Tennis Player, on a Tennis fan forum?

Oh I must say...

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #11
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

The judge who recuses himself actually leaves the case; has no input on the verdict.

We don't have the luxury of asking a Nadal fan moderator to leave a thread and go find and bring in a non-Nadal fan moderator to moderate a thread where there might be some Nadal bashing (or bashing of his fans). And what if that other moderator is actually a Nadal hater? That's even worse bias in the other direction!

Since you cannot reasonably expect moderators to have no favourite players (or hated players), what you are asking for is moderators to conceal and be secretive about their player preferences. Personally, I'd rather know up front.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
The judge who recuses himself actually leaves the case; has no input on the verdict.

We don't have the luxury of asking a Nadal fan moderator to leave a thread and go find and bring in a non-Nadal fan moderator to moderate a thread where there might be some Nadal bashing (or bashing of his fans). And what if that other moderator is actually a Nadal hater? That's even worse bias in the other direction!

Since you cannot reasonably expect moderators to have no favourite players (or hated players), what you are asking for is moderators to conceal and be secretive about their player preferences. Personally, I'd rather know up front.
I think you have misunderstood the analogy. It wasn't to suggest that the moderators all "leave the case" as indeed we do not have the luxury of a judge class of disinterested observers to serve as moderators. It was to suggest that a good moderator should behave differently from a non-moderating poster by way of analogy.

When you decide to become a moderator, if that word is to have any meaning at all, you should show 'moderation' which doesn't mean not liking this or that player at all but rather not being a fervent partisan while you are engaged as a moderator.

The reasons for this should be very clear and generally are in the 'real world'

Should moderators for example should be free to post invective if they like and as many other posters do? How about call Federer "Noserer" or Nadal "piggy"? Why would or wouldn't that be a bad idea if all they are in your estimation is just another poster?

The same goes for a moderator who repeatedly takes up the cause of one player in threads dealing with that player. If that moderator feels such a compelling need to write regularly about that player, there is nothing wrong with that as a poster. But there is most certainly something wrong with that as a moderator as it creates a climate even if there is no outlandish behavior per se.

There is no reason for posters who feel a compulsion to write about their favorites on a daily basis to give up their normal posting habits but there are many reasons why they would make poor choices as moderators.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyTimes View Post
Moderators can't be fans of a Tennis Player, on a Tennis fan forum?

Oh I must say...

That would certainly be silly if I had said that but fortunately I haven't. See above.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
It matters because if someone is moderating generally it should imply a different type of behavior from that of a simple forum participant. A moderator is by definition not a simple forum participant and in theory should be trying to "moderate" so someone wanting to be a moderator should understand it also implies a somewhat different approach to overall participation.

As for trolling etc, there is a fine line at times between supporting and trolling and an adept participant in discussion can fan the flames instead of quieting them down. Someone who is too caught up in "his player" is less likely to calm them down.

These are hardly my personal concepts but rather fairly widely accepted views on the topic in general.

I'm not sure I have ever seen what the rules or code of conduct would be for a moderator (if you have a link or explanation handy I would appreciate it) but what I am discussing is likely more far reaching.
So you mean if we support for someone we are like trolls? I tell you we support a bit different way like many forumers.
So.. supporting is possible on other way than others. We have opinions too. There are things we would comment too. It doesn't mean that we behave on same way with everyone else.
And there is some difference between poster and poster too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
It seems to me that moderators should be held to a higher standard than other posters. It shouldn't just be a question of whether a moderator broke a rule, but whether the moderator is modeling behavior the moderation team would like to see on this board.

So being rude, calling names, etc. is not against the rules, but should a moderator do it?

I'm not commenting on Time Violation at all, but asking the question in general. It's a question I've asked many times, but not gotten an answer to other than "no." My understanding is that it is not against the rules to troll or mock or call names, so that would be ok for a moderator too? And believe me, I don't think Time Violation did those things, my question is purely hypothetical.

Shouldn't there be a code of conduct for moderators that is written and posted?
As a hypothetical question.. no, I'm not okay with giving names to players and troll on the threads etc.. I've talked only about harmless supporting for our favs at times.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
Should moderators for example should be free to post invective if they like and as many other posters do? How about call Federer "Noserer" or Nadal "piggy"? Why would or wouldn't that be a bad idea if all they are in your estimation is just another poster?
What a load of crock. I simply stated my opinion, I didn't insult anyone, called names, nor did I use my mod powers to delete posts or prevent other people from posting; yet you almost immediately tried to prevent me from participating in the thread only because I'm a mod. That's called discrimination, and if you don't want to hear other opinions, well that's just too bad.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”

Last edited by Time Violation : 10-12-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote