An interesting stat that favours nadal - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
country flag urkabi

urkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond reputeurkabi has a reputation beyond repute
Default An interesting stat that favours nadal

Few opening remarks:

- yeah, im a new account and i decided to open a new thread on my first message. however, i read here for long time and i have MA in relations between fed-rafa fans in MTF.

- yeah, im a rafa fan.

- fed is the greatest in history, in any possible star on the planet (calm down u fed fans).

Ive been thinking about this stat for some time and somehow i dont hear it said enough during all those silly discussions about "the greatest". therefore, i decided to do a short research and to bring you the percentege of a players GS titles within the number of GS apperances he has:

Rafa - 36% (13 out of 36)
Roger - 29% (17 out of 58)
Nole - 16% (6 out of 36)
Murray - 6% (2 out of 30)

The only one who comes in my mind that surpass rafa is borg (who has 40%. sampras has 26%). I know that im not surprising anyone here with this stats, but i do think that its something that we should pay attention to.
urkabi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
country flag Absolute Anthropoid
Skyward!

Absolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond reputeAbsolute Anthropoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An interesting stat that favours nadal

Paella Fatbutt is only 27. Wait for his percentage at 30, if he even plays at that age.

Simple as that. Everything else comes second.

Absolute Anthropoid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome urkabi. Ignore some of the idiots here - this year has been a painful time for them.

You're right - it's an impressive stat. Nadal has been winning slams at a very fast pace from an early age. We can't know how he'd have have done if he didn't skip the slams he did but it has meant that his overall slam winning % is high. Obviously it'll decline a bit but I'm sure it'll stay far ahead of Novak, Roger etc. even when his career is done. Some Fed fans have been talking about Nadal's inevitable decline since 2005. Must be tough to be practically at the end of 2013 and he's still going strong....

Does seem bizarre that Novak and Rafa have played the same number of slams and that Murray has only played 6 less than Rafa given how Rafa has been on the tour since 2003 full time.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
country flag nadalfan2013

nadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond reputenadalfan2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa IS tennis.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
nadalfan2013 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Although Slade's comment is clearly subjective (as he hates Nadal to pieces), he is correct. Nadal's percentage (as well as Nole's, Federer's and Murray's) will modify as they age and they increase the number of GS appearances without winning a title. It is not final yet.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Although Slade's comment is clearly subjective (as he hates Nadal to pieces), he is correct. Nadal's percentage (as well as Nole's, Federer's and Murray's) will modify as they age and they increase the number of GS appearances without winning a title. It is not final yet.
Even if it's not final, it is so high, it will probably end above the rest, unless he keeps playing AND losing for many years.
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
~Vegetius, De Re Militari, late 4th century
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!
Bazooka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Joey Tribbiani

Joey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond repute

Ahahahahahahah

Slade and Slasher are correct.

What a thread..lol

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

302 weeks #1 - 6 WTFs

World #2 at 33 years. Davis Cup winner while injured.

UNDISPUTED G.O.A.T.
Joey Tribbiani is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond repute

it's normal that dull's percentage is higher than rogers, because he's a early bloomer. he won his first slam 19 years old at his 6th slam-appearance. fed was almost 22 years old when he won wimbledon 2003, it was his 17th slam-appearance.

as slade said, the percentage will decrease with higher age.

percentage since they won their 1st slam:
dull 13/37 = 35,14%
fed 17/42 = 40,48%

Last edited by Johnbert : 10-09-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

At one stage Federer was 16/43 = 37%.
n8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
country flag rafa_maniac

rafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond repute

I think his percentage will obviously drop, but I doubt if it goes below 30%. He strikes me as a player who will very suddenly hit a wall physically and that'll be that career wise, but until such time he'll keep going at a fairly similar rate.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
country flag bry17may

bry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond reputebry17may has a reputation beyond repute

Federer catch his 13th in his 38th slam (34.21%) and Sampras in his 43th (32.55%)

Nadal will be above a lot of players but it will be very close of Federer and Sampras.

ST----(7/5)----Winner: Roland Garros 2013, Eastbourne 2013, US Open 2013, Beijing 2013
FITD-(59/53)---
PAW---(7/7) ---Winner: Wimbledon 2013 Indian Wells 2014
TT---(94/88)---Winner: Gstaad 2013, Acapulco 2014; Finalist: Savannah 2013, Noumea 2013
TTD--(147/136)-Winner: Mexico City 2013; Finalist: Marburg 2013, Este 2013, Petange 2013
DTT--(10)------Finalist: Indian Wells 2013, Beijing 2013, Shanghai 2013
DTTD-(13)------Finalist: Wimbledon 2013, Cincinnati 2013, Shanghai 2013
bry17may is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody is disagreeing that it will drop, but Nadal is not going to keep playing for years and losing R1. He'll play maximum 12 more slams if he plays till the end of 2016 and if he wins a few - say 3, he'll still be 16 out of 48 (33%) which is still far higher than his opponents. So it'll drop but he'll not go below Roger, Novak etc. IMO.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

Not playing a slam is better than finishing runner-up, at least as far as this statistic is concerned.
Apophis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Is stating the obvious really necessary?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon language View Post
Is stating the obvious really necessary?
On MTF... ? Yes.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote