Why Sampras wasn't a servebot - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
country flag PoorMan'sDavy

PoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond reputePoorMan'sDavy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Sampras wasn't a servebot

Not a servebot.

Back in the distant past of 1990 when Sampras won his first US Open, he was one of the stronger hardcourt baseline players around -- although he did play serve & volley as well. Check out his matches against Lendl and McEnroe from that tournament. He completely overpowered McEnroe. That may not seem like much of an achievement now, but it was a big deal then.
PoorMan'sDavy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
country flag No1emania

No1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
In the pre Hewitt and Safin etc era Sampras was easily the second best baseliner behind Agassi when not playing on clay. He could handle Agassi on the faster courts because a better serve and better volleys. Great allround player at that time, later Hewitt could rundown every shot without making a mistake and than pass him when he got to the net, Safin just simply overpowered him. Of course maybe Pete wasn't at his physical prime then but I suspect that the game also moved to a higher level.
It definitely is. Only nostalgiatards and Golden Era haters doesn't realize that.

Who haven't watched tennis in 90s like I did, he can easily check and compare overall speed, power and precision, shots / spins variety and difficulty + other details as well. Camera doesn't lie. "fast courts" myth is bs.

Del Potro

Janowicz
No1emania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #18
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1emania View Post
It definitely is. Only nostalgiatards and Golden Era haters doesn't realize that.

Who haven't watched tennis in 90s like I did, he can easily check and compare overall speed, power and precision, shots / spins variety and difficulty + other details as well. Camera doesn't lie. "fast courts" myth is bs.
Rackets and strings were much different then, which give today's players the ability to hit shots players of the past, even in the 90's could not execute.

Last edited by thrust : 10-08-2013 at 09:16 PM.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1emania View Post

You don't think the courts were faster in the 90s?
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

What I don't get here sometimes, is that serve is probably the most important shot in tennis. However, you can't win a match based on your serve only. Pete was good at so many different things.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Sampras was incredibly dangerous from the baseline, he had fantastic groundstrokes and could slice very well

obviously people talk a lot of talk if you've got one of the best serves ever but it doesn't take long to go check out some videos of his old matches and see him handling some of the best baseline players ever handedly. I mean Agassi is arguably one of the most dangerous players of all time to go mano e mano on the baseline with, and Sampras managed to do that many times

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
country flag Moonball Pusher

Moonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond repute

The term servebot was only invented by Dulltards to make fun of players who can actually hit the most important shot in tennis. Somehow running for miles and looping moonballs is more respectable to Dulltards than being able to serve well and have the balls to be aggressive.

Truly dark times we are in.

Federer - Isner - Tsonga - Gulbis - Dimitrov - Sock - Thiem
Tennis disgraces: Nadal, Ferrer, Fognini

Fantasy Tennis Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Thank You Rafa.... Thank You For Everything, I Owe My Entire Life To You Rafa, You Are My God You Are My God You Are My God, My Life Is Blessed Now That You Inhibit This Earth, Thanks Rafa
Moonball Pusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
country flag SuperSonicCat

SuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond repute

It's also curious the way he retired, many people think that he retired in 2002 after the US Open, but that was not the case, he just pulled off of the AO and RG (he was sick or injured, I can't remember, maybe somebody here knows the details) and then he realized in Wimbledon 2003 that he didn't have the desire anymore, although by 2003 and after being out for six months it would have been very difficult for him to defeat Federer.
SuperSonicCat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
country flag Schumacher

Schumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
You don't think the courts were faster in the 90s?
I definitely agree with No1emania. Recently there was a thread about it and somebody posted some statistics about it - average number of aces and I don't remember what else. It didn't support that famous myth about faster courts in 90s. But now I can't find that post.

But level of the game definitely increased since then.
Schumacher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
country flag Del GOATro

Del GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond reputeDel GOATro has a reputation beyond repute

Only demented Nadal fans deny the change in court speeds. Every fucking player who talks about it acknowledges the huge difference.
Del GOATro is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #26
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

It's an insult to Pete to call him a servebot. He had an amazing all-round game.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #27
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Only clowns could call Sampras a servebot. There's a reason he won 14 Slams, and players like Isner, Karlovic, and Rusedski won zero.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
Only clowns could call Sampras a servebot. There's a reason he won 14 Slams, and players like Isner, Karlovic, and Rusedski won zero.
This times 100. He probably had one of the most accurate/powerful serves in tennis history, but still had the rest of his game to back it up.

He had a solid backhand, forehand, passing shot, slice shot, volley, and of course slam dunk volleys.

Isner has a good serve, and a good forehand, but that is basically it.

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #29
country flag NameNumber

NameNumber is on a distinguished road

Sampras did have weaknesses. His low backhand volley was suspect in his early years. His ultra-flat forehand would sometimes hemorrhage errors, especially early in his career. Most obviously, his topspin backhand was technically flawed, and when hardcourts started bouncing higher and polyester strings began adding more spin on top of that, his backhand became a liability.

He was in no way a "servebot," though. His forehand, when on, was the most devastating groundstroke in the sport. Sampras would hang out in the ad court and as soon as his opponent dared to hit to his forehand, he'd just blast it away for a winner, even on the run. His forehand volley is one of the greatest of all time. In fact, his forehand half-volley probably is the greatest of all time. His backhand volley was also strong and later in his career he began controlling low backhand volleys better as well. The idea that Sampras was not that great of a volleyer is complete nonsense. He was also very fast and his footwork was excellent.
NameNumber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #30
country flag Moonball Pusher

Moonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameNumber View Post
Sampras did have weaknesses. His low backhand volley was suspect in his early years. His ultra-flat forehand would sometimes hemorrhage errors, especially early in his career. Most obviously, his topspin backhand was technically flawed, and when hardcourts started bouncing higher and polyester strings began adding more spin on top of that, his backhand became a liability.

He was in no way a "servebot," though. His forehand, when on, was the most devastating groundstroke in the sport. Sampras would hang out in the ad court and as soon as his opponent dared to hit to his forehand, he'd just blast it away for a winner, even on the run. His forehand volley is one of the greatest of all time. In fact, his forehand half-volley probably is the greatest of all time. His backhand volley was also strong and later in his career he began controlling low backhand volleys better as well. The idea that Sampras was not that great of a volleyer is complete nonsense. He was also very fast and his footwork was excellent.
Yeah but none of those skills are real tennis because he couldn't grind on clay and survive in Nadal's era.

Federer - Isner - Tsonga - Gulbis - Dimitrov - Sock - Thiem
Tennis disgraces: Nadal, Ferrer, Fognini

Fantasy Tennis Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Thank You Rafa.... Thank You For Everything, I Owe My Entire Life To You Rafa, You Are My God You Are My God You Are My God, My Life Is Blessed Now That You Inhibit This Earth, Thanks Rafa
Moonball Pusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote