Why Sampras wasn't a servebot - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
country flag SuperSonicCat

SuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond reputeSuperSonicCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Sampras wasn't a servebot

Great Pat Cash interview to Pete Sampras where he shows his trademark shots, still incredible touch with his slice backhand:

http://www.samprasfanz.com/?p=462
SuperSonicCat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
country flag A_Skywalker

A_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeA_Skywalker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Sampras wasn't a servebot

He was in some way. After all he relied mainly on serve and not to be broken. If you cant be broken then you dont feel a lot of pressure. I even remember he skipped entire return games and tried only at the end of the set.

Tennis Tipping and PAW Results
A_Skywalker is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

he was more of a serve and volley than a servebot...

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't be fair to call him a servebot, since he could play awesome return games, and was so smart, finding a way to win. But relied a lot on fast serve, for sure, too much for my personal taste, compared to nowadays' game. I enjoyed some of his matches, but often I wouldn't watch them at all. I liked to watch him in clay
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
~Vegetius, De Re Militari, late 4th century
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!
Bazooka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
country flag Featherer

Featherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond repute

Sampras was simply the best S&V player ever. Does anybody deny that?

On court he reminded of a feline predator; focused, agile, but never making a step too much,

whereas in slower courts he often appeared to be somewhat unwilling to run after every ball (like a domestic cat would do). No, that wasn't his style.

...However, that was back in the pre-Luxilon era, when clay court tennis was still regarded as being slightly inferior (even though not anymore as much as all the decades before).

"Tennis must be a bourgeois sport, and so are its fans." Echoes

"Fed demolishing Dimitrov will be normal, boring, mundane. We have enough of it in our lives already.
We want something unusual, wonderful and unexpected, turning point, magic.
Hence everybody hyping Dimitrov. We want a fairy tale.
"
Riff

Last edited by Featherer : 10-08-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Featherer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
country flag Nirjhor

Nirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond repute

He wasn't a servebot. He was a volleybot!

82 Titles Including 17 Grandslam, 23 Masters, 6 YEC and Counting.

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

The Greatest Player Ever to Play Tennis.
Nirjhor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
country flag No1emania

No1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond reputeNo1emania has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Skywalker View Post
He was in some way. After all he relied mainly on serve and not to be broken. If you cant be broken then you dont feel a lot of pressure. I even remember he skipped entire return games and tried only at the end of the set.
He wouldn't stand a chance against Nolfedal with that kind of game outside of grass.

btw, he also wasn't used to deal with a lot of spins and great defenders / counter-attackers which would surely hurt his S&V even more.

But still, he wasn't a bot, he was a great S&V player and previous GOAT, only thing is that it wouldn't be enough in Golden Era, not even with the fastest hc courts available.

Del Potro

Janowicz
No1emania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Motoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond repute

The people who think Sampras was a servebot are probably people who are just too young to have seen him play frequently during his prime. All you have to do is spend a little time on Youtube, and it's pretty obvious he had the whole arsenal.

Last edited by Motoflou : 10-08-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Motoflou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
country flag JarkaFish

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

Disgusting to imply the great Pete Sampras was a servebot.

Pistol was the most aggressive and awesome shotmaker of all time.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
country flag Motoflou
Barkeep

Motoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond reputeMotoflou has a reputation beyond repute

His baseline game is insane in this match-

Motoflou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
country flag WinterIsComing

WinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond reputeWinterIsComing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoflou View Post

Good ol' times
1995 was on par with 2011 in terms of legendary rivalry. Actually it was better because the momentum kept changing between Andre end Pete. I remember that after this game Agassi said "I will kick his ass in Key Biscayne"... which he did 2 weeks later

On topic, no way Pete was a servebot. Actually back then he was not even considered as a S&V player, because he used to go at the net only when the point was 80% done - which was quite often after his first serve to be honest. Nothing like Edberg or Rafter who could compensate a so-so serve just by their incredible net game. He was a great offensive baseliner, though he lacked the consistency for long rallies on clay. But his backhand passing shots were wonderful and his running forehand is legendary. However later in his career he started to rely much more on his serve, probably because of his physical decline, which combined with the evolution of the game towards pure baseline gave him that very unfair reputation.
Winter is coming...
WinterIsComing is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
country flag BringBakTehGrass

BringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoflou View Post

What a beast.
BringBakTehGrass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
country flag thrust
Banned!

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
Good ol' times
1995 was on par with 2011 in terms of legendary rivalry. Actually it was better because the momentum kept changing between Andre end Pete. I remember that after this game Agassi said "I will kick his ass in Key Biscayne"... which he did 2 weeks later

On topic, no way Pete was a servebot. Actually back then he was not even considered as a S&V player, because he used to go at the net only when the point was 80% done - which was quite often after his first serve to be honest. Nothing like Edberg or Rafter who could compensate a so-so serve just by their incredible net game. He was a great offensive baseliner, though he lacked the consistency for long rallies on clay. But his backhand passing shots were wonderful and his running forehand is legendary. However later in his career he started to rely much more on his serve, probably because of his physical decline, which combined with the evolution of the game towards pure baseline gave him that very unfair reputation.
EXCELLENT POST! Fair and accurate.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
country flag Avi14
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Avi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi14 has a reputation beyond repute

He wasn't a servebot.Servebots cannot win 14 slams

Serve was simply his biggest weapon and not his only weapon.
Avi14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute

In the pre Hewitt and Safin etc era Sampras was easily the second best baseliner behind Agassi when not playing on clay. He could handle Agassi on the faster courts because a better serve and better volleys. Great allround player at that time, later Hewitt could rundown every shot without making a mistake and than pass him when he got to the net, Safin just simply overpowered him. Of course maybe Pete wasn't at his physical prime then but I suspect that the game also moved to a higher level.
buzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote