The world's second biggest sport? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #31
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world's second biggest sport?

List of most fans in sports

I would classify "big" by fan count around the world. So, cricket is second, followed by field hockey and tennis.

Last edited by Slasher1985 : 10-10-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
List of most fans in sports

I would classify "big" by fan count around the world. So, cricket is second, followed by field hockey and tennis.
Looks like a reasonable list.
vBookie net amount won: 19109 (2014: +12414, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 90, TT doubles rank 100.
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #33
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have never thought Field Hockey to be more popular than Ice hockey
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #34
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Those figures for field hockey do surprise me, especially as I gather that the sport has lost of lot of popularity in its biggest market India over the past few years, especially after the switch to astro-turf. Even though China have a pretty competitive women's field hockey team, I doubt the sport makes it into the top 10 there.

It says that basketball's regional popularity is in America (I'm assuming they mean the Americas region there) but it also very popular in Western Europe (Spain, Italy and France), most of Eastern Europe, the Middle East (Lebanon, Iran, Jordan etc), the Far East (China, Philippines, Indonesia etc) and in numerous countries in Africa (Nigeria, Angola, Egypt etc). There are hundreds of million of basketball fans in China alone.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #35
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
Those figures for field hockey do surprise me, especially as I gather that the sport has lost of lot of popularity in its biggest market India over the past few years, especially after the switch to astro-turf. Even though China have a pretty competitive women's field hockey team, I doubt the sport makes it into the top 10 there.

It says that basketball's regional popularity is in America (I'm assuming they mean the Americas region there) but it also very popular in Western Europe (Spain, Italy and France), most of Eastern Europe, the Middle East (Lebanon, Iran, Jordan etc), the Far East (China, Philippines, Indonesia etc) and in numerous countries in Africa (Nigeria, Angola, Egypt etc). There are hundreds of million of basketball fans in China alone.
Well, there's about 80 million in the US, 300 million in China, about 40-50 million in Europe, and there's no more than 50 million in the rest of the world.

Yes, the guy failed to mention more than America (when China is actually the primary market), but there's still no more than 500 million basketball fans, and that figure is far from the 2nd place. It's interesting that almost all basketball fans play the sport for fun in every corner of the world, and the FIBA website mentions 450 million such "players". So, that's the approximation of the actual fan count.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #36
country flag ne znam ali mozda

ne znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond repute

What is cricket? lol.

Of course basketball.
ne znam ali mozda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #37
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Well, there's about 80 million in the US, 300 million in China, about 40-50 million in Europe, and there's no more than 50 million in the rest of the world.

Yes, the guy failed to mention more than America (when China is actually the primary market), but there's still no more than 500 million basketball fans, and that figure is far from the 2nd place. It's interesting that almost all basketball fans play the sport for fun in every corner of the world, and the FIBA website mentions 450 million such "players". So, that's the approximation of the actual fan count.
Well in the rest of the world it is estimated that something 40 million people play basketball in the Philippines (with approximately 100 million people) where the sport is the national obsession, and even 5 million people in India according to this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...7525/index.htm

Obviously participating is not the same as following, but I reckon you could easily find another 50 million fans of the sport in the world with it also being the 3rd most popular sport in Indonesia (247 million people), the second most popular in Nigeria (169 million people), one of the most popular sports in countries like Iran and Egypt with big populations, and also the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport in a lot of smaller countries around the world.

Also I doubt those field hockey ratings of 2 billion people can possibly be true. For starters popularity is massively down in India (many people say the sport is dying there) and the sport isn't that popular in China or the rest of the Far East at all, which rules those numbers out. The main countries where field hockey is popular is Argentina (and more for women than men) and the Netherlands, neither of which have huge populations. In Great Britain and Australia it is a fringe sport (for women behind football and netball), and in Germany ice hockey alone is way more popular.
Even for cricket, the Commonwealth region has less than 2.5 billion people, and within the Commonwealth it is not popular in countries like Nigeria, Malaysia, Canada and Ghana with over 250 million people between them. Plus in England, Australia and South Africa, cricket is one of a number of popular sports.

Still I don't doubt that the India, Pakistan and Bangladesh could drive the sport into 2nd place in terms of these numbers.

For tennis with popularity way down in the USA, Germany, Brazil (since Guga retired etc), still a bit hit and miss in China, and the sport not that popular through large regions of Asia and Africa, I would be shocked if it has 1 billion fans, although it would still surely be near the top (and ahead of field hockey).

Last edited by LeChuck : 10-10-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #38
country flag Baseline86
Banned!

Baseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond repute

1) Football
2) Tennis
3) Basketball
Baseline86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
country flag LeChuck

I was thinking about the basketball vs. tennis comparison, because both sports are clearly very successful across so many different regions of the globe.

Looking at their popularity in the 12 countries with a population of circa 100 million people or greater, basketball probably beats tennis in 8 of those countries; China, USA, Indonesia, Brazil, Nigeria, Russia, México and the Philippines. Tennis beats basketball in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Japan. I gather that both sports are reasonably popular in Japan, but neither of them are massively popular in a very saturated sporting market, so that is a guess.

Across the various regions I would assume the following:
Europe: Tennis > Basketball in Western Europe, but Basketball > Tennis in Eastern Europe
Asia: Basketball > Tennis in the Middle East and Far East, but Tennis > Basketball in South Asia/the Indian subcontinent
Americas: Basketball > Tennis across every region; North America, Central America, the Caribbean and South America
Africa: Basketball > Tennis in Northern, Western, Central and Eastern Africa, but Tennis > Basketball in Southern Africa
Oceania: Tennis > Basketball
Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #40
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was thinking about the basketball vs. tennis comparison, because both sports are clearly very successful across so many different regions of the globe.

Looking at their popularity in the 12 countries with a population of circa 100 million people or greater, basketball probably beats tennis in 8 of those countries; China, USA, Indonesia, Brazil, Nigeria, Russia, México and the Philippines. Tennis beats basketball in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Japan. I gather that both sports are reasonably popular in Japan, but neither of them are massively popular in a very saturated sporting market, so that is a guess.

Across the various regions I would assume the following:
Europe: Tennis > Basketball in Western Europe, but Basketball > Tennis in Eastern Europe
Asia: Basketball > Tennis in the Middle East and Far East, but Tennis > Basketball in South Asia/the Indian subcontinent
Americas: Basketball > Tennis across every region; North America, Central America, the Caribbean and South America
Africa: Basketball > Tennis in Northern, Western, Central and Eastern Africa, but Tennis > Basketball in Southern Africa
Oceania: Tennis > Basketball
Very weird assumption. Flawed, in my opinion.

Are you sure basketball is more popular than tennis in Russia and the balkan countries, for instance?

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #41
country flag tealeaves

tealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond repute

Basketball.
TT Singles CH #172
TT Doubles CH #103 - W: Guadalajara 2014; Bergamo, Cherbourg, Poznan 2013 (w/goOudinUSA)

Federer Del Potro Wawrinka Djokovic Berdych Nishikori Pospisil Youzhny Paire Soderling
tealeaves is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #42
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of numbers, it's undeniably cricket. Yes, that is mainly because of India.

I'm curious to know how the people here are defining "biggest sport". While answering the question, most people here seem to be switching from objectivity to subjectivity and back at their own whim, which is absurd to me. You can't discount cricket because it is unknown in "most" of the world and then still go by numbers to say that the answer should be basketball.

Quote:
[1]Well in the rest of the world it is estimated that something 40 million people play basketball in the Philippines (with approximately 100 million people) where the sport is the national obsession, and even 5 million people in India according to this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...7525/index.htm

Obviously participating is not the same as following, but I reckon you could easily find another 50 million fans of the sport in the world with it also being the 3rd most popular sport in Indonesia (247 million people), the second most popular in Nigeria (169 million people), one of the most popular sports in countries like Iran and Egypt with big populations, and also the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport in a lot of smaller countries around the world.

[2]Also I doubt those field hockey ratings of 2 billion people can possibly be true. For starters popularity is massively down in India (many people say the sport is dying there) and the sport isn't that popular in China or the rest of the Far East at all, which rules those numbers out.
[2]I too am quite surprised by the field hockey numbers. The sport isn't dying in India, it is dead. It's making a very slow revival though.

[1]So are you taking about combined numbers for viewing and playing? This part is true for India, and I'm assuming would for some other countries too: A lot of people in urban areas of India play basketball, but almost no one watches/follows any basketball, probably because coverage here is minimal. Same point continues to your last post. In India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, Tennis>>Basketball in term of watching but Basketball>>Tennis in terms of playing.

In fact my assumption would be that this continues on a global scale as well. Tennis would probably be the third most followed sport, but wouldn't come in the top 5 most played sports.

Quote:
I found this survey from 2012 of the most popular sports to participate in and follow in India:

Participate:
1. Cricket 62%
2. Badminton 51%
3. Swimming 30%
4. Table Tennis 25%
5. Cycling 24%
6. Tennis 23%
7. Football 22%
8. Volleyball 16%
9. Basketball 15%
10. Go-karting 11%

Follow:
1. Cricket 85%
2. Tennis 44%
3. Football 41%
4. Badminton 32%
5. Motorsports 23%
6. Swimming 22%
7. Table tennis 21%
8. Boxing 16%
9. Basketball 15%
9. Athletics 15%

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2012/03/21/...ourite-sports/

Obviously these surveys aren’t conclusive or anything, but I was shocked that field hockey didn’t make these lists. I’d assumed that it was the second most popular sport in India behind Cricket, with football coming in 3rd place. Tennis being voted as the second most popular sport to follow is pretty cool though .
These numbers are generally correct, but some huge discrepancies with tennis. For example, tennis is so high in "followed" because people think that watching or even just knowing who won the 4 GS finals is called following tennis. These people(50% of my college ) wouldn't have heard of Ferrer before RG this year, but would still claim to "follow" tennis and be tennis "fans". In participate, I would think tennis would come at 9, only above go-karting.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #43
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

2- Basketball
3- F1
4- Tennis
5- 100 meters (athletics)
6- Volleyball

Cricket if followed by A LOT of people because the 4 or 5 countries that follows it, have huge populations.

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #44
country flag LeChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Very weird assumption. Flawed, in my opinion.

Are you sure basketball is more popular than tennis in Russia and the balkan countries, for instance?
Yes I'm sure basketball is comfortably more popular in Russia. I gather that traditionally it has been in third behind football and hockey, but they were saying at the Olympics last year that biathlon had overtaken it there. Given that Russia has had great success across so many sports, it wouldn't surprise me if tennis didn't even make the top 5 there, while I'm sure basketball would. Despite the well documented problems with Russian basketball, there are far worse problems with Russian tennis as discussed by Tarpischev, resulting in significant recent declines for them in both the men’s and women’s sports. I gather that basketball would comfortably make the top 3 (and ahead of tennis) in Ukraine.

In the Balkans it’s no contest. Basketball has been a close 2nd in Serbia and Greece behind football, and is vying for 2nd place in Croatia with handball. I gather that it comes in 2nd place in Slovenia, Macedonia and Bosnia & Herzegovina, and would make the top 3 in Bulgaria, Albania and Montenegro. I doubt tennis even makes the top 3 in any of the Balkan countries, especially given what some Croatian and Serbian posters here have said in the past.

The only countries in Eastern Europe where I'd think that tennis would come out ahead would be the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Belarus and Romania. Is there even a single country in Eastern Europe where tennis is the second most popular sport? I doubt it. I was thinking Romania, but then I realised that handball is probably in 2nd place there.

So to me it's pretty clear cut that basketball comes out on top in Eastern Europe. South America is a far more debatable case between the two sports IMO.

In Oceania, largely due to a huge decline in Australian tennis, I think basketball has closed the gap on tennis in Australia in recent years with junior participation up, although their b-ball league has had numerous problems. In New Zealand basketball is surely more popular though. It has even been the no. 1 sport to bet on there ahead of rugby over the past couple of years.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #45
country flag LeChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
In terms of numbers, it's undeniably cricket. Yes, that is mainly because of India.

I'm curious to know how the people here are defining "biggest sport". While answering the question, most people here seem to be switching from objectivity to subjectivity and back at their own whim, which is absurd to me. You can't discount cricket because it is unknown in "most" of the world and then still go by numbers to say that the answer should be basketball.
Well I guess different people have different criteria which is what this thread is about. Different people might focus more on tv ratings, participation figures, revenue generated, no. of national federations, no. of countries and regions where the sport is popular etc. There is no right or wrong answer there.

A major reason why a lot of people put basketball and tennis ahead of cricket, is that both those sports have more of a presence and are 'on the radar' even in many countries where they are not one of the most popular sports.

With cricket it has a great following in quite a few countries, including some of the most populous ones in the world, but in a lot of countries where it is not popular, many people have never watched it, played it, or even heard of it.

Quote:
[2]I too am quite surprised by the field hockey numbers. The sport isn't dying in India, it is dead. It's making a very slow revival though.

[1]So are you taking about combined numbers for viewing and playing? This part is true for India, and I'm assuming would for some other countries too: A lot of people in urban areas of India play basketball, but almost no one watches/follows any basketball, probably because coverage here is minimal. Same point continues to your last post. In India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, Tennis>>Basketball in term of watching but Basketball>>Tennis in terms of playing.

In fact my assumption would be that this continues on a global scale as well. Tennis would probably be the third most followed sport, but wouldn't come in the top 5 most played sports.
Well in my personal opinion is that both participation and TV rating figures should count overall, but I would prioritise the TV revenue and figures in a discussion like this.

I had no idea that basketball was that widely played in South Asia before reading your post and some other sources. Very interesting to know.

Also interesting to read about field hockey there as well. I think that the world governing body FIH turned down a big money proposal by Sahara to create and sponsor a big, wealthy tournament or something, which has hurt the sport a lot in terms of popularity and revenue.

I went to the Olympics last year and watched some field hockey and quite enjoyed it, although the Dutch women's team being talented in more ways than one helped a lot.

Quote:
These numbers are generally correct, but some huge discrepancies with tennis. For example, tennis is so high in "followed" because people think that watching or even just knowing who won the 4 GS finals is called following tennis. These people(50% of my college ) wouldn't have heard of Ferrer before RG this year, but would still claim to "follow" tennis and be tennis "fans". In participate, I would think tennis would come at 9, only above go-karting.
Thanks a lot for that. I was hoping to get a better idea about the popularity of tennis in India and your post is very informative. Yes here in México it's the same, only the star players are well known and people don't really care about anyone else. I guess tennis generally is a very star driven and dependent sport, just the NBA is as a league.

Last edited by LeChuck : 10-13-2013 at 01:28 PM.