The world's second biggest sport? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world's second biggest sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
Olympic baseball is in the muddle of the MLB season so none of the top players go represent their country.
And the lack of top player participation surely counted against it in the eyes of the IOC.
vBookie net amount won: 8236 (2014: +1541, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 179, TT doubles rank 160.
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Basketball.

Cricket is extremely popular in some regions that have a huge population(Mainly in Asia & Oceania), but is almost unknown for a vast majority of Europe & America. A lot of people don't even know it exists. Basketball is immensely popular in the USA and some European countries, and it's still relatively popular in most of the world.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise how popular basketball was in countries like Egypt and Iran as well, which both have pretty big populations. In South Sudan which gained independence 2 years ago, it might be the no. 1 sport ahead of football I'm not sure.

Given how global basketball is, it seems ridiculous that only 12 teams compete at the Olympic tournament.

In México I would probably rank basketball in 4th place behind football, baseball and boxing. It has been growing in popularity recently. The NFL gets more coverage here than the NBA, but overall basketball is far more widely played and there is a decent league set-up in place, that attracts quite a few ex NBA players. Last year one team, Fuerza Regia in Monterrey, offered Shaquille O'Neal a ton money of play for them, but he eventually decided against it. The México NT surprisingly won the Americas Championship last month, when they only qualified after Panama were thrown out.

In Canada it's probably 5th behind hockey, football, American/Canadian football if you consider them together and baseball.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
I didn't realise how popular basketball was in countries like Egypt and Iran as well, which both have pretty big populations. In South Sudan which gained independence 2 years ago, it might be the no. 1 sport ahead of football I'm not sure.

Given how global basketball is, it seems ridiculous that only 12 teams compete at the Olympic tournament.

In México I would probably rank basketball in 4th place behind football, baseball and boxing. It has been growing in popularity recently. The NFL gets more coverage here than the NBA, but overall basketball is far more widely played and there is a decent league set-up in place, that attracts quite a few ex NBA players. Last year one team, Fuerza Regia in Monterrey, offered Shaquille O'Neal a ton money of play for them, but he eventually decided against it. The México NT surprisingly won the Americas Championship last month, when they only qualified after Panama were thrown out.

In Canada it's probably 5th behind hockey, football, American/Canadian football if you consider them together and baseball.
It is ahead of Curling, then?

In Norway it's basically non-existent, definitely not top-20, but that's us. We're not mainstream.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
It is ahead of Curling, then?

In Norway it's basically non-existent, definitely not top-20, but that's us. We're not mainstream.
Actually that's a tough one to call. Sports like curling and golf which were incredibly popular with older generations, are probably less popular with younger generations than world football especially and probably basketball as well, so I guess it depends on the demographic and also the region. Basketball has grown a lot in popularity in Ontario which has nearly 40% of the population. Then again I haven't lived in Canada for a long time so I could easily be way off base.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
country flag Htom Sirveaux

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
The ejection was probably more anti-Cuba, they were after all the ones winning most of the gold medals, even though they lost to the South Koreans last time out in 2008. If the US had cared for baseball in the OG they could at least have sent teams strong enough to beat the Cubans.

Basically, though, the OG prefers being the biggest event in every participating sport's calendar, the event everyone does everything to win. There's nothing bigger than OG for a solid majority of participating sports. Obviously, that's not the case for baseball, so they were always likely to have less support. Of course, it's not the case for football either, but that's simply too big to be left out. Tennis was also a reluctant entry back in 1988.
That was probably left to MLB to decide as the Olympics occurs in the middle of their season unlike basketball and football (soccer). The NHL sends its players to the Winter Olympics in the middle of their season for some good publicity for a relatively small league (I think, not a big hockey fan), but MLB probably thinks they're strong enough that they don't need to play ball with the IOC and/or had difficulty convincing the very strong MLB players' union to go along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
I hate tennis
Htom Sirveaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute

F1 is mostly Europe, South America and Australia, with some interest in the US. I don't know the answer but what I would say is that if F1 is included under the Motorsport banner, it probably makes number two.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #23
country flag LeChuck

I found this survey from 2012 of the most popular sports to participate in and follow in India:

Participate:
1. Cricket 62%
2. Badminton 51%
3. Swimming 30%
4. Table Tennis 25%
5. Cycling 24%
6. Tennis 23%
7. Football 22%
8. Volleyball 16%
9. Basketball 15%
10. Go-karting 11%

Follow:
1. Cricket 85%
2. Tennis 44%
3. Football 41%
4. Badminton 32%
5. Motorsports 23%
6. Swimming 22%
7. Table tennis 21%
8. Boxing 16%
9. Basketball 15%
9. Athletics 15%

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2012/03/21/...ourite-sports/

Obviously these surveys aren’t conclusive or anything, but I was shocked that field hockey didn’t make these lists. I’d assumed that it was the second most popular sport in India behind Cricket, with football coming in 3rd place. Tennis being voted as the second most popular sport to follow is pretty cool though .
Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #24
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis might have a chance at being #2.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
country flag Avi13
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go by sheer numbers then obviously Cricket comes second.

1 AO - 8 RG - 2 WB - 2 USO @ 13 Slams

26 Masters
Avi13 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #26
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis, of course.

Cricket is played exclusively in the former British Empire. It might have the sheer number of total players in its favour, but seeing as it's irrelevant in the vast majority of the world's countries I fail to see how the case can be made for it being number 2.

F1 fandom is also too concentrated, and even in the countries where it's most popular most people couldn't care less about it.

Basketball is a good choice, but I'd still go for tennis.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).

Last edited by Har-Tru : 10-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #27
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a couple studies on this. Tennis is usually listed as 2nd (rather odd you would forget that one ), but sometimes cricket is. Basketball is generally after those two and F1 further down

Youzhny, Robredo, Matosevic, Monaco, Kohlschreiber, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Dolgopolov, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Zeballos, Herbert, Tursunov, Djokovic
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
country flag LeChuck

Tennis is definitely up there, and like track and field, I had completely underestimated it when I made this thread.

However there is a major reason I don't think it comes in second. How many countries around the world is tennis even the second most popular sport in? We know it is not close to being the single most popular sport in any country.

In the Czech Republic football and hockey occupy the top 2 spots. In Spain and Argentina, I gather basketball is slightly more popular, and maybe the motorsports are too if you consider them together. I doubt it makes the top 3 in either Croatia or Serbia, with basketball and handball more popular in Croatia and basketball and water polo more popular in Serbia. In Switzerland surely it is behind hockey and some other winter sports. In the UK I doubt it breaks into the top 3 ahead of Rugby and Cricket. In Germany it used to be in 2nd place during the glory days of Becker and Graf, but surely not any-more with hockey, handball and biathlon all gaining ground?

In Belgium I heard it is in 3rd place behind football and cycling, and likewise in Israel behind football and basketball. Maybe it is in the 2nd place in France its participation figures so strong there, although I would be interested to know how it stacks up against Rugby, Cycling, Handball etc there? It was clearly in 2nd place in Chile during Ríos's prime and when González and Massú were doing well. Is that still the case now?

Last edited by LeChuck : 10-10-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #29
country flag motorhead

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

it has to be bowling, largely played in USA and Europe just like China and SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
he's not gay
put a hand on my ass in sopot when i was 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I learn my learn in Oeiras, the flop was wearing a freaking jumper in a match vs sizzles, well he won, but I swear on my life afterwards' Never in my lifetime, I will bet on this flop'.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
it has to be bowling, largely played in USA and Europe just like China and SA
How much do you get for winning the World Championship in bowling? If that's what they call it. And how much does the best bowler get in endorsements? I'm genuinely curious.