The best non-English language films. - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #31
country flag miura88

miura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best non-English language films.

Les Vampires
Die Nibelungen: Siegfried
I Was Born, But...
Testament Of Dr Mabuse
La Grande Illusion
The Rules Of The Game
Bicycle Thief
Paisan
Tokyo Story
Early Summer
Earrings Of Madame De...
A Man Escaped
Hiroshima, Mon Amour
L'Avventura
Last Year At Marienbad
L'Eclisse
Placido
Cleo From 5 To 7
An Autumn Afternoon
La Jetee
Winter Light
Gertrud
Woman In The Dunes
Umbrellas Of Cherbourg
Persona
Happy End
Death By Hanging
Profound Desire Of The Gods
My Night At Mauds
Claire's Knee
The Ceremony
Love In The Afternoon
Spirit Of The Beehive
Celine And Julie Go Boating
Mirror
Marquise Of O
Tree Of Wooden Clogs
Vengeance Is Mine
Berlin Alexanderplatz
My American Uncle
Fanny And Alexander
Vagabond
Melo
Where Is The Friend's Home?
A Brighter Summer Day
And Life Goes On
Tale Of Winter
An Autumn Tale
Beau Travail
Yi Yi: A One And A Two
Kings And Queen
Beaches Of Agnes
Mysteries Of Lisbon
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #32
country flag AdeyC
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

AdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiedis View Post

Antonio Mercero La cabina (1972), Planta 4Ş (2003)

He is one of the more recognised author of TV series in Spain, but he made some good films too, mixing comedy and drama.
I remember seeing La Cabina as a kid - it put me off using phone boxes
Old 10-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #33
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
long stoy short he initially was said to have been killed by gay guy (a hustler, I think would be translation) in a fight over Pasolini's pass at him. There were suspects over him being just one of the accomplices (or a bait) present on the crime scene, something that was then denied after the first grade of his trial (in Italy there are 3 grades).
The second grade confirmed there were other people. He served 9 years but ony recently after 30 years in 2005 he said he didn't kill him and there were other people linked to the extreme right-wing political scene at the time, the people mentioned were dead by then.
Further evidences have linked Pasolini's death to political figures, in particular an important business man linked to a masonic lodge and the tell goes on and on.
To date it's still unkown who were Pasolini's murderers.
Oh right, it sounds pretty complex. On various message boards people seem to have passionate opinions on the guy. As I said, I don't know much about this guy, so I'm not sure whether it's about his films or for political reasons. Contextually, people seem to either side with him on both fronts or despise him.

All I know is...I don't like Salo

Quote:
have you seen Kill list?
Nope, I will get it downloaded. I still haven't seen that film I downloaded a few nights ago. I normally watch films at night and I've been quite tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htom Sirveaux View Post
Never seen Arlington Road, but I've heard good things and like both the leads.

My favorite thrillers are from the seventies; that decade did paranoia really well. Some that I'd recommend: The French Connection, Marathon Man, All the President's Men and The Day of the Jackal. As for 'realization moment' films, The Usual Suspects is famous for its reveal (has some great performances too). The Sixth Sense also, although it's not really a thriller. More of a low-key horror/drama.
I really like Arlington Road, it's easy to follow, not too complex but still tense and therefore fast paced. Good shit.

I've heard a lot about The French Connection (I've just looked it up again and it's rated X, wasn't aware of that) and Marathon Man. Never bothered to watch them, as I said, I normally watch films at night when I am quite tired and these seem like the type you need to follow properly. I'll have all of these films watched by the end of the year. I am going to have Deliverance watched tonight.

I like both The Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects. Great ending in the latter. My favourite character was Kobayashi. Pretty eerie sort of guy.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #34
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

9 Reinas is pretty good.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #35
country flag Htom Sirveaux

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
My favourite character was Kobayashi. Pretty eerie sort of guy.
That's Pete Postlethwaite, very solid character actor. I've liked him in everything I've seen him in.
Htom Sirveaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #36
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's Pete Postlethwaite, very solid character actor. I've liked him in everything I've seen him in.
Died in 2011 unfortunately. You're right, a good character actor.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #37

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Died in 2011 unfortunately. You're right, a good character actor.
Really? That's too bad. I'm looking over his IMDB bio/trivia and it seems like in addition to being a fine actor he was also a decent guy off the screen.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
country flag Burrow

Quote:
Really? That's too bad. I'm looking over his IMDB bio/trivia and it seems like in addition to being a fine actor he was also a decent guy off the screen.
"My first agent wanted me to change [my name]. So I changed him instead. When I made a breakthrough as an actor, people started to say, 'Who's that bloke with the funny name?' They advised me to change it, saying it would never be put up in lights outside theaters because they couldn't afford the electricity. But I would never contemplate changing it. It's who I am. It's my mother and father, my whole family. It's where everything I am comes from. I couldn't imagine living my life with another name."

Quite an interesting read, that section.

Off to watch Deliverance now. Hopefully full of Burt kicking some serious hide.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #39
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

This thread does need more Tati.
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nard View Post
This thread does need more Tati.
Which of his do you recommend to watch first? Playtime is the only one I've heard of, but what I have heard has been very complimentary.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #41
country flag Andresito

Andresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond repute

Argentum Virtus Robur et Studium
Andresito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #42
country flag Burrow

Deliverance was fun. My favourite part of the film...

The **** scene was both a little disturbing but more funny than anything else. Trust big Burt Reynolds to save their skin
Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #43
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Contextually, people seem to either side with him on both fronts or despise him.
among the most important figures of italian history of the last century, probably the most important yet the least studied/taught

Quote:
Deliverance was fun. My favourite part of the film...
this scene has been quoted so many times in other movies/animated sitcomes/series.
I think the last time I saw a caricature of it in the Modern Family comedy series, don't know if you ever saw it. it's a funny one.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #44
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which of his do you recommend to watch first? Playtime is the only one I've heard of, but what I have heard has been very complimentary.
Monsieur Hulot's Holiday or Mon Oncle are the two I'd recommend first. Playtime is probably his most inaccessible film.
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #45
country flag Burrow

Quote:
this scene has been quoted so many times in other movies/animated sitcomes/series.
I think the last time I saw a caricature of it in the Modern Family comedy series, don't know if you ever saw it. it's a funny one.
I've never heard of 'Modern Family'. But I can imagine this being in quite a few things. I could tell it was quite iconic before I had even googled it.
The Arjen Robben lookalike definitely delivers on that Banjo. I looked it up and turns out he wasn't even playing it, some guy reached around his body and was playing it for him.