The best non-English language films. - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
country flag Htom Sirveaux

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best non-English language films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
The 400 Blows
Le Samourai
The Lives of Others
Z
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Belle de Jour
Wild Strawberries
Rififi
Rashomon
The Wages of Fear
I had heard good things about Z and was going to watch it, but got scared off of Costa-Gavras after seeing Missing and being really underwhelmed. Have you seen both? If so, how do they compare?

And I second your Aguirre pick. I liked Fitzcarraldo too.
Htom Sirveaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #17
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Amelie
Tropa de Elite (1 and 2)
Old 10-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #18
country flag tripler

tripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond repute

Revanche
Baise-moi
CH singles - #241; CH doubles - #284

Where is a torrent for the ATP tour documentary, The Journeymen? If you know, PM me.
tripler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htom Sirveaux View Post
As I said, I'd like it even if it had no symbolism whatsoever. The only other Pasolini film I've seen was incredibly tame in comparison to Salo, and I enjoyed that one too for similar reasons.
I have no idea about the ins and outs of it. I watched it but was just bored and disgusted. I don't understand how anybody would want to be a part of that.

Didn't the director guy get murdered or something? What was that all about? I've heard some theories on IMDB a few years ago after I watched it.

You got any recommendations for films maybe similar to The Beach, or something? I've seen pretty much all decent English films and am kind of running out a bit.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Didn't the director guy get murdered or something?
that's a loooooong story
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #21

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have no idea about the ins and outs of it. I watched it but was just bored and disgusted. I don't understand how anybody would want to be a part of that.

Didn't the director guy get murdered or something? What was that all about? I've heard some theories on IMDB a few years ago after I watched it.

You got any recommendations for films maybe similar to The Beach, or something? I've seen pretty much all decent English films and am kind of running out a bit.
Yes, Pasolini was murdered. I don't know a ton about it, but I've always heard that it had to do with either some gay lover or, for the conspiracy theorists, something mafia related. He was very complex: Communist and anti-bourgeois but also anti-60's student revolutionaries, and seemingly both atheist (and gay) and an anti-abortion Catholic.

The Beach has something of a Lord of the Flies vibe, and there have been a couple versions of that made. I've seen neither, but I liked the book and see that the sixties version got a Criterion release (usually a good sign). Into the Wild and Deliverance have a 'back to nature, away from civilization' element to them that you might like. Be forewarned, you might find Deliverance disgusting, although it's quite tame compared to Salo.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

From my country, Chile, I really liked Machuca. Probably the best Chilean film I have ever seen to be honest.

Here it is with english subtitles if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4WvByQH2Ew
Old 10-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #23
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htom Sirveaux View Post
Yes, Pasolini was murdered. I don't know a ton about it, but I've always heard that it had to do with either some gay lover or, for the conspiracy theorists, something mafia related. He was very complex: Communist and anti-bourgeois but also anti-60's student revolutionaries, and seemingly both atheist (and gay) and an anti-abortion Catholic.

The Beach has something of a Lord of the Flies vibe, and there have been a couple versions of that made. I've seen neither, but I liked the book and see that the sixties version got a Criterion release (usually a good sign). Into the Wild and Deliverance have a 'back to nature, away from civilization' element to them that you might like. Be forewarned, you might find Deliverance disgusting, although it's quite tame compared to Salo.
Oh I remember now, that's what I read about, the gay lover stuff. Who knows. I don't know much about the guy.

I like The Beach because of that, it's kind of away from everything. I've seen Lord of the Flies and read it too (because I had to in school). Not a bad film, I've seen both versions but many years ago.

I'm downloading the Deliverance one now, looks quite good. I like Burt Reynolds so that's a plus. Voight is good too. I have that on the download now with Croupier already downloaded. Not sure which to watch tonight, I'll probably go with Deliverance. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'd like to ask you if you know of any good thrillers, you know, the tense and mysterious kind of stuff. I love films with how to say, moments of realisation. Like Arlington Road for example, really really enjoyed that. Jeff Bridges and also Tim Robbins are two top quality actors. Great supporting cast too. But I'd be derailing this thread. Don't know if there's any threads to discuss films, never in this section of the forum much.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
country flag Burrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
that's a loooooong story
No problem sweetie.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #25
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No problem sweetie.
long stoy short he initially was said to have been killed by gay guy (a hustler, I think would be translation) in a fight over Pasolini's pass at him. There were suspects over him being just one of the accomplices (or a bait) present on the crime scene, something that was then denied after the first grade of his trial (in Italy there are 3 grades).
The second grade confirmed there were other people. He served 9 years but ony recently after 30 years in 2005 he said he didn't kill him and there were other people linked to the extreme right-wing political scene at the time, the people mentioned were dead by then.
Further evidences have linked Pasolini's death to political figures, in particular an important business man linked to a masonic lodge and the tell goes on and on.
To date it's still unkown who were Pasolini's murderers.

Last edited by motorhead : 10-03-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #26
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:
I'd like to ask you if you know of any good thrillers, you know, the tense and mysterious kind of stuff. I love films with how to say, moments of realisation. Like Arlington Road for example, really really enjoyed that. Jeff Bridges and also Tim Robbins are two top quality actors. Great supporting cast too. But I'd be derailing this thread. Don't know if there's any threads to discuss films, never in this section of the forum much.
have you seen Kill list?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #27
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

Here some spanish authors and their best films, ordered by time

Marco Ferreri El pisito (1959), El cochecito (1960)

Marco was an italian comedian, but he made some of his better films in Spain with the collaboration of Rafael Azcona, one of the best scripters of my country.

Ladislao Vajda, Marcelino pan y vino (1955), Mi tío Jacinto (1956)

Ladislao was hungarian but he made many films in Spain. His speciality was tearful drama with kids starring. Very popular in spain in the 50's.

José Antonio Nieves Conde Los peces rojos (1955), Surcos (1951)

Very solid director, his dramas are a classic in the Spanish cinema

José María Forqué Atraco a las tres (1962)

He made one of the most hilarious comedies in the history of Spanish cinema.

Luis García Berlanga Placido (1961), Los jueves, milagro (1957), Calabuch (1956), ¡Bienvenido, Míster Marshall! (1953), El verdugo (1953), La escopeta nacional (1978)

Luis was a genius of the social satire. Nobody showed on a screen in such intelligent way the flaws, quirks, neuroses, etc. of post-civil war Franco's Spain .

Fernando Fernán-Gómez El mundo sigue (1962), El viaje a ninguna parte (1986), El extraño viaje (1964)

Fernando was a man with an indomitable character. He was a genius of theatre, a good writer, and a great director

Antonio Mercero La cabina (1972), Planta 4ª (2003)

He is one of the more recognised author of TV series in Spain, but he made some good films too, mixing comedy and drama.

Narciso Ibáñez Serrador ¿Quién puede matar a un niño? (1976), La residencia (1969)

He also was a TV genius, but when he was younger he was the Spanish Hitchcock

Victor Erice El espíritu de la colmena (1973), El sur (1983)

Two exquisite films full of sensibility and longing for the lost world of childhood.

Mario Camus Los santos inocentes (1984), La colmena (1982)

His speciality were dramas in the depths of rural Spain

José Luis Borau Furtivos (1975)

He made other of the key films to understand the unredeemed rural Spain

Jaime Chávarri El desencanto (1976), Las bicicletas son para el verano (1984)

Some good films, many other average.

José Luis Guerín Tren de sombras (1997), Los motivos de Berta (1985)

Some valuable experimental cinema, very personal.

Carlos Saura Bodas de sangre (1981), El Dorado (1988), ¡Ay, Carmela! (1990), Flamenco (1995), Fados (2007), Carmen (1983), Deprisa, deprisa (1981)

If you love music you will love Carlos. A great stylist.

Vicente Aranda Tiempo de silencio (1986), Amantes (1991)

Passionate dramas, with some 'disturbing' sex scenes.

José Luis Cuerda La lengua de las mariposas (1999), Amanece, que no es poco (1988), El bosque animado (1987)

Great director. He is an artisan, he is able to change of genre and tone and still achieve good films.

Ricardo Franco La buena estrella (1997), Pascual Duarte (1976)

Ricardo made some good dramas, touching films of pain and sadness of human soul

Bigas Luna Jamón, jamón (1992), Las edades de Lulú (1990)

Irreverent, he just love Spanish Kitsch culture and explicit sex.

Fernando Trueba El sueño del mono loco (1989), Belle Époque (1992), La niña de tus ojos (1998), Calle 54 (2000), El milagro de Candeal (2004)

Spanish Billy Wilder. He made some very good films about Cuban and Brazilian popular music.

Pedro Almodóvar Todo sobre mi madre (2004), Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios (1998)

With his ups and downs he was the director who better narrated the transition of a conservative/rural/catholic/non-democratic country like Spain in a urban/tolerant/open-minded one. He He has a reputation for getting great performances from his actresses. Frenchies love him a lot.

Agustín Díaz Yanes, Nadie hablará de nosotras cuando hayamos muerto (1995)

Great intimist drama.

And now the big generation of vasque filmmakers

Imanol Uribe Días contados (1994), El proceso de Burgos (1979), El rey pasmado (1991)

Good filmmaker. He is always very solid.

Julio Medem Vacas (1992), Los amantes del círculo polar (1998), Tierra (1996)

Intimate, personal, experimental, visually powerful cinema.

Juanma Bajo Ulloa, Alas de mariposa (1991), La madre muerta (1993), Airbag (1996)

Talented. He can make dramas, crazy comedies, intimate films...

Álex de la Iglesia El día de la bestia (1995), Perdita Durango (1997), La comunidad (2000)

He is like our Tarantino but with less taste for the violence.

More recent film makers are

Alejandro Amenábar Tesis (1996), Abre los ojos (1997), Hable con ella (2002), Los otros (The Others) (2001), Mar adentro (2004)

Talented director, his films mix a bit of everything, some thriller, horror, comedy, drama...

Fernando León de Aranoa Los lunes al sol (2002), Barrio (1998)

Spanish Ken Loach.

Achero Mañas El Bola (2000), Noviembre (2003)

Another specialist in social urban dramas.

Icíar Bollaín Te doy mis ojos (2003), También la lluvia (2010)

Committed films with a feminist touch

Isabel Coixet La vida secreta de las palabras (2005), Mi vida sin mí (2003)

Very "feminine" cinema (runny nose type of films if you know what I mean)

Daniel Monzón Celda 211 (2009), El robo más grande jamás contado (2002)

Daniel make commercial cinema but without sacrificing quality

Juan Antonio Bayona El orfanato (2007), Lo imposible (The Impossible) (2012)

Another blockbuster maker.

Other interesting and recent films.

Jorge Sánchez-Cabezudo La noche de los girasoles (2006)

He made one of the best thrillers of the last Spanish cinema.

Nacho Vigalondo Los cronocrímenes (2007)

After making some very celebrated short films this was his best long film. If you like Sci-Fi thriller this is for you

Guillermo del Toro El laberinto del fauno (2006)

He is mexican but made this film in Spain. Good Fantasy / Thriller film.

Javier Fesser Camino (2008)

Good drama about religious fanaticism

Agustí Villaronga, Pa negre (2010)

Post Spanish Civil war revisited

Pablo Berger Blancanieves (2012)

Very original film. Tim Burton will like it for sure.

Rodrigo Cortés, Buried (2010)

Another original film made with very little money

Enjoy!

God is killing me

Last edited by Kiedis : 10-05-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #28
country flag tripler

tripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond reputetripler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd like to ask you if you know of any good thrillers, you know, the tense and mysterious kind of stuff. I love films with how to say, moments of realisation. Like Arlington Road for example, really really enjoyed that.
Weird, I watched Arlington Road literally 2 days ago. I was worried when it started off like a really low budget film, though of course Jeff Bridges is a top actor. But it got better and better and seemed to get a budget half way through. And what an amazing ending! The most unexpected I've ever seen in a serious film.

A list of good thrillers would be great. Jennifer 8 is good.
CH singles - #241; CH doubles - #284

Where is a torrent for the ATP tour documentary, The Journeymen? If you know, PM me.
tripler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

For pure action, Raid is incredible, Battle Royale is excellent too.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Never seen Arlington Road, but I've heard good things and like both the leads.

My favorite thrillers are from the seventies; that decade did paranoia really well. Some that I'd recommend: The French Connection, Marathon Man, All the President's Men and The Day of the Jackal. As for 'realization moment' films, The Usual Suspects is famous for its reveal (has some great performances too). The Sixth Sense also, although it's not really a thriller. More of a low-key horror/drama.