The best non-English language films. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute
Default The best non-English language films.

I'll start:

Murmur of the Heart
Fires on the Plain
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Late Spring
Sansho the Bailiff
Close-Up
Belle de Jour
Yojimbo
The Silence
Dersu Uzala
High and Low
Stalker
Tokyo Story
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Fanny and Alexander
The Holy Mountain
Ikiru
The Return (2003)

"Thank you very much for letting me win"

Last edited by B-Nard : 10-01-2013 at 04:42 AM.
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
country flag Htom Sirveaux

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best foreign films.

You might want to change the thread title to 'best non-English language films'.

From your list, I enjoyed all of the Kurosawas (haven't seen Dersu Uzala though) and Au Revoir les Enfants. I remember enjoying Tokyo Story, but it bored my girlfriend to tears so I haven't seen any Ozu since.

Some others that I've enjoyed; wouldn't claim they're 'good' as I'm quite an amateur when it comes to film appreciation:

Scenes from a Marriage
Wild Stawberries
Night and Fog in Japan
Empire of Passion
The Piano Teacher
The White Ribbon
Salo
Bicycle Thieves
Ran
Kagemusha
Battle of Algiers
Wages of Fear
Germany, Year Zero
I Am Curious: Yellow
I Am Curious: Blue
Das Boot
The Consequence
Weekend (Godard)
The Tin Drum
BRD Trilogy
The Human Condition (still only about 2/3 through the whole ten hours )
Akira
Godzilla
Park Chan-Wook's Vengeance Trilogy

I saw a lot of those on Hulu after they gained the rights to stream Criterion. I watch little else on the service, and I'd still say it's worth the subscription.

Last edited by Htom Sirveaux : 10-01-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Htom Sirveaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best non-English language films.

Good call on the thread title. It's changed. If your girlfriend is the reason why you've stopped watching Ozu, you need to get rid of her as soon as possible. I am liking your Bergman pictures, especially Wild Strawberries which is a hauntingly poetic masterpiece. Salo, beyond all of its vulgar and depravity, is an interesting political commentary about the decline of Italian fascism. Speaking of Italy, Bicycle Thieves, which you mentioned, is probably the epitome of the neorealist movement.

I see you like Haneke, too. Seek Cache if you haven't already.

"Thank you very much for letting me win"
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #4

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nard View Post
Good call on the thread title. It's changed. If your girlfriend is the reason why you've stopped watching Ozu, you need to get rid of her as soon as possible. I am liking your Bergman pictures, especially Wild Strawberries which is a hauntingly poetic masterpiece. Salo, beyond all of its vulgar and depravity, is an interesting political commentary about the decline of Italian fascism. Speaking of Italy, Bicycle Thieves, which you mentioned, is probably the epitome of the neorealist movement.

I see you like Haneke, too. Seek Cache if you haven't already.
My girlfriend is actually the reason I watch 'serious' films at all. She's the film snob; I probably would have gone my whole life watching nothing but stuff like Commando, Star Wars and exploitation films if I hadn't met her. I could probably get her to watch more Ozu, but I already make her watch more Japanese films than she can stand and I need to get through Kurosawa and Oshima first.

She actually has Cache on the shelf, I just haven't gotten around to watching it. Probably should have included Funny Games on my original list btw. I was thinking as I wrote that that there weren't many contemporary films on there and that Haneke is one of the few Euro art house directors that I like these days.

Regarding Salo, I'd probably still like it even if was just a shallow sadistic exploitation film, but I thought his use of de Sade to talk about fascism was pretty successful. I also just love how Pasolini's films look; even something like The Decameron, which isn't a super polished film, is still incredibly beautiful to me and well worth the watch.

The only Italian neo-realist film that I haven't enjoyed is Paisan. It felt really amateur and it dragged.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
country flag Droog

Droog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond repute

Oldboy
I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK
Thirst
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ghost in the Shell
Pan's Labyrinth
Save the Green Planet!
City of God
Amelie
The Seventh Seal
The Lives of Others
Wings of Desire
Metropolis (Silent)
The Dreamers
Gomorrah
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
to perform well beyond usual levels and achieve legendary status in the process

Federer, Murray, Dimitrov, Tsonga
Monfils, Goffin
Djokovic, Gasquet, Dolgopolov, Tomic, Haas
Droog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add:

M
The Exterminating Angel
La Reine Margot
The Secret In Their Eyes
Infernal Affairs (the original behind The Departed)
Dolls
Joolz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

A few that come to mind (some have been mentioned already)

Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Shichinin no Samurai
Cidade de Deus
Das Leben der Anderen
Idi i Smotri
Jagten
Festen
Zwartboek
De Gelukkige Huisvrouw

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond repute

The 400 Blows
Le Samourai
The Lives of Others
Z
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Belle de Jour
Wild Strawberries
Rififi
Rashomon
The Wages of Fear
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
country flag Collective

Collective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond repute

The Horse Thief (Do Ma Zei)
Cinema Paradiso

-Scott Adams-
Collective is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
country flag BrunoBeidacki

BrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond repute

Cidade de Deus (City of God) is the most overrated movie in Brazilian movie industry history. Want to watch a good Brazilian movie? Watch Tropa de Elite 2 - O Inimigo Agora É Outro (Elite Squad: The Enemy Within). It's the second Tropa de Elite movie and it's great. Also, 2 Coelhos (2 Rabbits) shows a new perspective of Brazilian action movies. I recommend it!

Tennis Tipping Results:
Win: BEIJING (Singles)
PARIS (Doubles w/AdeyC), 4 CHALLENGERS in Doubles
RUNNER-UP: ROLAND GARROS 2012 (Doubles w/AdeyC)
-
CLEZAR
JANOWICZ
BrunoBeidacki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
country flag AdeyC
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

AdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

La Cabina (The Phone Box)
Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to come in here and post "Salo, or the 120 days of Sodom" as a joke. I can't believe people actually like that garbage film and get around their like for it with artsy fartsy reasoning.

In all seriousness, Oldboy is one I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
I was going to come in here and post "Salo, or the 120 days of Sodom" as a joke. I can't believe people actually like that garbage film and get around their like for it with artsy fartsy reasoning.

In all seriousness, Oldboy is one I like.
As I said, I'd like it even if it had no symbolism whatsoever. The only other Pasolini film I've seen was incredibly tame in comparison to Salo, and I enjoyed that one too for similar reasons.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

La Haine

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

no mention for Fellini
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote