Can Jan-Mike get back to where he was? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-09-2002, 08:07 PM   #1
country flag Sonic

Sonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond reputeSonic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can Jan-Mike get back to where he was?

I really enjoyed seeing him get to the QF of Wimbledon (beating Hewitt) a couple of years ago, and having a great spring hardcourt season last year, reaching the Miami final etc. Then it all seemed to slip away.

I don't have any details if there is any reason why this happened, if anyone can post anything that would be cool.

So can he get back into the top 20, reach the finals of Masters series events, get to the 2nd week of slams again, and if he does, can he do it regularly?
Sonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2002, 08:35 AM   #2
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think he is consistent enough to be a top player..

I do think he is good enough to rip through the draw of a big tournament every now and then, and should be ranked higher than he is.

Top 20-30 floater more likely though.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:01 AM   #3
kournikova

kournikova

Hey im new here, but i was wondering does anyone have good pics of JMG? god i love him!

Yeah and i agree top 20-30 likely!
kournikova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:56 PM   #4
dots

dots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond repute

I think his biggest problem has been his body, that can be very fragile at times ) and the lack of proper coaching. Now don't get me wrong, I think his dad has done a wonderful job with Mike, but I think he should've moved on to another coach a few years ago, if only to see if other styles of coaching could have elevated his game a little bit. But no, he seems very loyal to his family and dad. He still lives with his parents at 25 which is a rarity now on days.

Becca, I agre with you 100%, he's way too inconsistent to be a top player, but god enough to make a good showing now and then.
dots is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:58 PM   #5
dots

dots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond reputedots has a reputation beyond repute

Hi kournikova! welcome... I have little time in my hands but I'll post a few pic of later tomorrow.
dots is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:20 PM   #6
anton

anton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Jan-Mike get back to where he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kournikova
Hey im new here, but i was wondering does anyone have good pics of JMG? god i love him!

Yeah and i agree top 20-30 likely!
Go to janmike.org...

andytennis.com
anton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:21 PM   #7
anton

anton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dots
I think his biggest problem has been his body, that can be very fragile at times ) and the lack of proper coaching. Now don't get me wrong, I think his dad has done a wonderful job with Mike, but I think he should've moved on to another coach a few years ago, if only to see if other styles of coaching could have elevated his game a little bit. But no, he seems very loyal to his family and dad. He still lives with his parents at 25 which is a rarity now on days.

Becca, I agre with you 100%, he's way too inconsistent to be a top player, but god enough to make a good showing now and then.

He is working with a new coach now and his dad also.
Some people think he is a "kournikova." One thing they both share is frequent injuries...

andytennis.com
anton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:24 AM   #8
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is JM healthy or still hurting from shin splints? He can't seem to stop the downward spiral.

Does he still live at home with his parents?
binkygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:47 PM   #9
country flag YoursTruly

YoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond repute

Overall, combine all societies and cultures in the world, and living with your parents at 25 is not uncommon at all. It's no big deal.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:06 AM   #10
country flag jmgsdoubsprtnr

jmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond repute

he isn't living with his parents... he had a house built across a creek or river or something from his parents... unless that plan went out the window? i just remember reading an article on him having a house built.
Jan-Michael Gambill<>Flavio Saretta<>Andre Sa<>Amer Delic

SVERIGE
Soderling xx Pim Pim xx Jonas xx Ryderstedt xx Magnus
jmgsdoubsprtnr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:08 AM   #11
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I thought this thread had died...

Okay, to answer the question seriously, JMG was once #14 in the world. Can he get back there? No (which kind of hurts me to say because I adore him in many ways, but...). He will be 28 in June and he is running out of time. My best hope for him is to get back into the Top 100 or even the Top 50, get his confidence back and become a dangerous floater, a guy who can make the quarters, semi's, even a final or two, and finish his career with dignity. I'd also like for him to win a match on clay before he finishes, but I don't know if he truly believes that he can.

Yes, he is still dealing with this damn leg pain, and that's been going on for just over 2 years now. It seems like it comes back at the worst possible times for him and it affects his ability to move his feet. I think it is one of the things affecting his confidence, but that's just speculation on my part. He does still live at home, but its a huge house, and he is in the process of building his own (which is also pretty big). He was considering moving into his new house earlier this year, while they put the finishing touches on it, but I think he may have given up on that idea and decided to wait until its completely done. We'll see how he does at his next tournament, the Tunica Challenger, on May 2nd.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 AM   #12
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Fee, do you know what JMG does for his shin splints? Deep tissue massage and heat are supposed to be good.

Tennis unfortunately has no off season, maybe he needs an extended break to rejuvenate.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:42 PM   #13
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know exactly, but he did tell me he uses heat for them. He had a good break last year, went to Hawaii in November and did not play much while he was there. I think there is something else going on in his shins, but again, that's just my own speculation. We haven't discussed it as much as I would like to.
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #14
country flag binkygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgsdoubsprtnr
he isn't living with his parents... he had a house built across a creek or river or something from his parents... unless that plan went out the window? i just remember reading an article on him having a house built.

He's selling that and it was never completed.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:02 AM   #15
country flag jmgsdoubsprtnr

jmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkygirl
He's selling that and it was never completed.
oh... and where did you find that out?
Jan-Michael Gambill<>Flavio Saretta<>Andre Sa<>Amer Delic

SVERIGE
Soderling xx Pim Pim xx Jonas xx Ryderstedt xx Magnus
jmgsdoubsprtnr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote