Nadal's interview after losing to Federer in Miami - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
country flag Julio1974

Julio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nadal's interview after losing to Federer in Miami

. I'm sure you're unhappy that you lost this, being so close to winning it. Are you still happy with the tournament, how it went from today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I am happy for my tennis. I am improving. I am playing good.

But today I won two sets to Love, 4‑1 in the third, 4‑3, Love‑30, and the ball, the forehand of Federer, is out, should. The referee say good.

But 5‑3 in the tiebreak, he play one forehand on the line. But he is the No. 1, no? He won this matches and I am happy with my tennis and not too happy for the result final, no?

IS HE MAKING EXCUSES? IS he implying that he lost beacuse of the wrong call? I don't think so, but I'm sure many people here would read it in that way if Coria had said it.
Julio1974 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
country flag Armada~121

Armada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal's interview after losing to Federer in Miami

Don't be mad just yet. First of all, I have to say I don't hate Coria. I don't even "dislike" him despite all his whinings on court. I just think he's different.

One thing you have to accept is that people can interpret things in so many ways. And it's no one's fault if they do not come out with the same message as you do. Tome, and again I have to say that TO ME only, the reason Coria's statement seems like an excuse to many people is because it's taken out from the context that he constantly tried to get off court at the end of the first set. Sure, we would never know what was actually in his head at the moment. But we couldn't help but wonder whether he would wanna get off the court if he was in the lead. I am not attacking Coria in particular here, but about players in general. Who would wanna get off court and reset the momentum if they are in the lead? That's why when he commented about the court condition again in the press con, it came off like an excuse.

As for your quoted comment from Nadal, I think he has solid, objective proof to back that up since every replay shows that the ball was out. However, he didn't linger long arguing for that point (which, as much as I love Marat, I think Marat would ) and just kept playing. I heard Coria complains about the line calls for so many times...but sometimes he's right and I don't think he's making excuses then. You may read it in that way if you like. But to me, these are two very different cases. One is very subjective and felt only by a player, while the other is pretty much scientific, objective and can have many eyewitnesses. So they are pretty incomparable here.

I can give u some examples. Complaining (rightly) about bad calls is one thing, if everybody sees that the call was bad, I think most people will sympathize...as long as the players don't blame it all on that particular call. Classic examples...Serena VS Capriati in USO2004...who can say Serena was making excuses when she complained about the calls?

On the other hand, excuses are some factors players shouldn't let that to be the case or to get better of them, i.e. court conditions, bad balls, winds, heat etc. Yep, top players can lose becuz of heat, but they shouldn't cite that as reasons why they lost. For example, I love Marat...but he's a master of excuses. It's always bad courts, bad balls, too windy, bad atmosphere, not enough light, etc. etc. (though he usually does it in an adorable, humourous way which spares him from MTF butchering) THOSE are still excuses.

At the end of the day, if you are Coria's fan. It really doesn't matter what everybody else says. If you don't think he's making an excuse, that's fine. I think Roger's fans have far worse problem when people said he is arrogant.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
country flag joske

joske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond reputejoske has a reputation beyond repute

well speaking in a language that's not your mother tongue can be very difficult, especially when you're talking about feelings and stuff like that (and when you've had no time to 'prepare' an answer) so I wouldn't go on about it much..

as for Coria? don't worry too much about people bashing him.. some people just don't know any better, so just ignore them and keep cheering for whoever you like

greets 2 my sweets @ Denaon's Place, The Spa & Roddickland

yes, as a matter of fact I am a fag..
and one who loves to touch homophobes' special area too, so mind your language

A N D Y J C
joske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
country flag Armada~121

Armada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joske
well speaking in a language that's not your mother tongue can be very difficult, especially when you're talking about feelings and stuff like that (and when you've had no time to 'prepare' an answer) so I wouldn't go on about it much..

as for Coria? don't worry too much about people bashing him.. some people just don't know any better, so just ignore them and keep cheering for whoever you like
Yep, but Coria doesn't speak English. He uses translator in the press con (sometimes Carla ) so he talks about feelings and stuff in his own language.

but I agree about the second part. People would not stop saying what they wanna say. Sometimes people may not exactly "bash" your favorite player, but they criticize that player in a reasonable, civilized way that is worth reading, even though u dont agree with it. It's tiring to fight for everyone to agree with you. That's life.

Go for Coria if you like. No one would stop you from doing that.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
User id 7816

User id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond repute

heh, Armada you are SO right in both of ur posts.
User id 7816 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
country flag DanEd

DanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond repute

look at this interview where Safin makes excuses for his defeat.
2002 TENNIS MASTERS SERIES - MADRID
October 15, 2002

A. CALLERI/M. Safin
7-6, 7-6

An interview with:

MARAT SAFIN

Q. Can you talk about the match.

MARAT SAFIN: I had chances in the first set. In the second one, I was 5-4 in the tiebreak. It went to 5-4. He played an incredible ace there. He played a very good volley. One ace and one volley, those two points, I was overwhelmed by those two points, especially coming from him, because he doesn't have such a good volley. The match was taken away from me. It's quite hard for me to take this defeat. Also the surface is a bit strange. I can't figure out how the ball bounces. I played quite flat, and this ball flies up a lot. In the second set, I really think I played better than him, but he had those two shots that were decisive. If we had gone to a third set, I think I would have been able to have won the match, but it's too late now. In the last weeks, I've been playing quite well. It's a pity I had to face Calleri in the first round. It was unfortunate for me. Although, in the second set, I should have won that second set. The third set would have come easier. Didn't give me the chance to go to a third.

Q. What do you think about your position for the Masters Cup?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, we are all very tight. It all depends on the last tournaments.

Q. Do you really want to go to Shanghai?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, of course I would like it. Well, if you go to Shanghai, you would also like to win Shanghai. It's not only the fact of going to Shanghai or earning money because you are there.

Q. You've been all over the globe. Week after week must take its toll on you.

MARAT SAFIN: It's every time, it's getting more difficult. Every week there is more deceptions, you know. First of all, I think it starts with Hong Kong. I arrive, I was completely dead on the court in the second round. I was dizzy, I had no more energy. I flew back to Moscow. I had a few days to recover. Then I lost in semifinals to Mathieu, which was a nice match, but still the way I was playing, I should have won, because I was playing at home. Everything was set perfectly to win this tournament. Then I had the tournament in Lyon, lost in the quarterfinals to Kuerten 7-6 in the third. Today I lost 7-6, 7-6. So I'm losing already three tiebreaks in a row. It's getting on my nerves. I'm disappointed, you know, because I'm very close to Shanghai. I'm playing much better. I'm trying to do well. But unfortunately, luck is not on my side right now.

Q. Is it possible to have a week where you don't play and recharge your batteries?

MARAT SAFIN: Now I have a few days off, but I have only two tournaments left this year, and I will have to do well if I want to get into Shanghai. But I'm not sure because everybody's playing well. Ferrero, he won this match today, he's just right behind me. Henman, it's going to be tough. Now I'm basically out in the first round. They're going to get closer and closer, even pass me. Not so many chances to get there.

Q. In the end, Davis Cup is bound to catch up with you, you had a tremendous performance there.

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, Davis Cup, I mean, but it was a long time ago. I had enough time to recover. I've been playing great for the last few weeks. Just I think is not more physical, is not more mental, it's just something, two points, it's luck. I need to start to win in tiebreaks. I'm not having them. I have to wait and I have to wait and I have to wait until it will come.

Q. The match was so close. What do you think made the difference between you two?

MARAT SAFIN: I told you before, there was these two points that made the difference. I knew that the match was going to be hard because I lost against him some years ago in Kitzbuhel, and I know how he plays. I know he hits the ball hard. He's a brave player. He serves well. Anyway, if I had won the second set, or even the first one when I was 4-1 up -- and also in the tiebreak I was 5-4, there were several times where I should have turned it around. It's a question of luck. But, well, what can I do? We could speak about the match for a long time, but I lost.

Q. You hit really risky shots.

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, it's true, I took risks. I played some great points. But what can I do now?
DanEd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:06 PM   #7
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Let's turn this into a game. Let's go through random player interviews and take comments totally out of context and insult them for it! Yay! Change the title of this thread to suit this fantastic game, please

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #8
country flag Armada~121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe
Let's turn this into a game. Let's go through random player interviews and take comments totally out of context and insult them for it! Yay! Change the title of this thread to suit this fantastic game, please
Don't yellow journalists do that all the time? Check the Dementieva on Roddick's game thread

Well, what I think is that it's impossible to establish one solid meaning/implication out of any "narrative" and claim that it is to be the be-all-and-end-all statement. That's why when I express my opinion, I always put the word "to me" or "my feelings", coz it means that's my version of taking that piece of info. People read things differently and you cant expect everybody to think like you. That's it. End of story.

As far as Coria-bashing continues and whether he made excuses for his MC loss or not, people can think whatever they like. TO ME, he certainly made excuses. But I'm not saying it's evil. Yep, it might not be so sportsmanlike to many people, including me... but sometimes making excuses is crucial to some people's psychology as well, as it's their way of coping with the loss mentally. Coria may come to terms with his loss by believing that the conditions did not favor him. Yep, to me it's an excuse, but there's nothing wrong with that. Don't we all do that sometimes to protect our psyche?

That's my way of seeing things which I thought I backed it up pretty well without using any blunt insults to bring down the players. If anyone still read that as bashing, it's fine then. I don't know how to change their minds.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:31 PM   #9

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

People who take comments from interviews out of context and try to read into them are being unreasonable. Especially when dealing with translated interviews. Also, not everything from the PC makes it into the transcript. If you can't appreciate why it's absolutely absurd to dig for negative things in an interview and infer from what little is provided... then there isn't much I can do to help

That said, if a player said something blatently obnoxious: "I don't know how I lost to him, he sucks the bag!"... I could understand people being critical.

There are few tennis "journalists" that I have any respect for, btw

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
country flag DanEd

DanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond repute

He made the same excuses after losing gaudio in godo and coria in roland garros last year.

2003 TENNIS MASTERS SERIES
MONTE CARLO

April 19, 2003

G. CORIA/C. Moya
7-6, 6-2

An interview with:

CARLOS MOYA

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Carlos, please.

Q. Do you think you were too much upset with your serve, because you made too many mistakes in the first part of the match?

CARLOS MOYA: If I was upset with my serve?

Q. Yes.

CARLOS MOYA: I think the serve wasn't the key of the match. I mean, the whole first set I didn't lose a serve, so I wouldn't say that's the key. I think the key was that game at 5-all. I had five breakpoints, I think, and I wasn't able even to put the ball in. So then we got to the tiebreak and few mistakes I made. Then, you know, he won that set. And was little bit unlucky in the beginning of the second set. First game I had breakpoint on his serve, then I have in two service games 40-15, and he broke. So, I mean, he played very solid today, and I think the conditions didn't help me at all. Today was one of the heaviest conditions in Monte-Carlo that I ever played. I needed some speed, some help from the weather maybe, and a little bit sunny would have been perfect for me . But still I think he played a great match. He deserved to win today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-19-2005, 07:36 PM   #11

Carlos Moya! What a hater

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:45 PM   #12
country flag DanEd

THE CHAMPIONSHIPS
Wimbledon, England

June 25, 2002

M. ANCIC/R. Federer
6-3, 7-6, 6-3

An interview with:

ROGER FEDERER

MODERATOR: Questions for Roger.

Q. How devastating is this loss today? Was there a reason?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, still looking for reasons why, yes, why I played so bad. I'm terribly down right now. I mean, it's quite normal after such a loss. And I expected much more than coming in here and losing in straight sets. So I'm very disappointing. For the moment, I haven't got any words.

Q. Did you know him? I think on the tour, everybody knew he was a little bit of a threat, was considered a big talent. Did you know about his game?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I don't know. I knew he was young, but I didn't know much more. I tried to get some information from other players. I mean, a lot of guys hit with him. I never did. But I got my information, and I just couldn't really figure out his game today. My game let him play well today. So didn't really matter actually the way he played. I'm just really down about my game today. That was quite bad.

Q. How surprised were you that he was able to maintain his level over those three sets?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I just had my chances, you know. In the second set, I missed them. Okay, maybe in the first one I have the break. I couldn't take my chances today. I had Love-40 in the second. This was really my only big chance throughout the whole match, and I didn't take it. He deserves to be through because I just couldn't come up with the right shots at the right moment. And that hurts especially in a Grand Slam over five sets where I really think I'm the better player. But today it was just too bad.

Q. What caused you most problems against him?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I couldn't quite figure out his serve. I was struggling to read his toss. Other than that, I mean, he returns pretty good. But I just felt like from the beginning on, I was not serving well. Tried to get more serves in. But as soon as I wanted to go for an ace, I will never make it. I still think the conditions are much slower than last year somehow. I mean, just I haven't looked at the stats, but I maybe made one ace, I think. I mean, it's a joke if I think I made 25 against Pete last year or something. I don't know what was wrong today. My serving was, for sure, not very good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #13

Dan! On a rolllllll! Another HATA has been spotted. Down with Fed!

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #14
country flag MissMoJo

MissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond repute

Where are we going with this??? If a player tries to analyse a loss by explaining what he thought went wrong, then he's a whiny sore loser ....really people
Old 04-19-2005, 08:50 PM   #15

Do I *really* need to explain what the point is?

Chocking makes me sad.