Wertheim answers: How does Moya stay top 10 and do squat at Slams? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wertheim answers: How does Moya stay top 10 and do squat at Slams?

I know this has been discussed before, but I think it's a good time to revive with Moya about to defend Rome...

I have been a huge Carlos Moya fan since he ascended to the top of the men's game, but recently I feel like his top-five/top-10 ranking is a product of smoke and mirrors. He stacks up a bunch of points in smaller events at the beginning of the year, then has decent results the rest of way (with perhaps one exceptional clay-court TMS event), never making an impact at a Grand Slam or in a big match against another top player. How do you compare him to the other top 10ers?
-- Robert Briggs, New York City

Moya won the '98 French Open, seemed destined for truly big things and since then has taken up long-term tenancy in the top five. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a player who pulls more vanishing acts in Slams. Time and again -- and, really, surface be damned -- Moya fails to live up to his seeding at Majors. This is just a stunning stat: He has not so much as reached a Grand Slam semifinal since '98. You're right to note that his "big match" record surely compares poorly with other top-10 players. And while he's won a few TMS events and helped Spain win the '04 Davis Cup, if you look at his career objectively, you'd be within your rights to label him an "underachiever."

But Moya is a great example of what a winning personality does for perception. I recently heard Moya described as "the Spanish Pat Rafter," and I think that fits pretty well. Apart from his model looks, the guy is absolutely beloved by the fans, the other players, the media and tennis administrators. And with good reason: He is a gentleman who -- cliché alert -- is a credit to the sport. There's a lesson in here for other players: Do right by the sport, comport yourself like a pro, and us critics in the salon will cut you an awful lot of slack.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
country flag federer express

federer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wertheim answers: How does Moya stay top 10 and do squat at Slams?

simply...he fails to peak at slams. but his performances throughout the year justify his ranking at the end of the day.
federer express is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
But Moya is a great example of what a winning personality does for perception. I recently heard Moya described as "the Spanish Pat Rafter," and I think that fits pretty well. Apart from his model looks, the guy is absolutely beloved by the fans, the other players, the media and tennis administrators. And with good reason: He is a gentleman who -- cliché alert -- is a credit to the sport. There's a lesson in here for other players: Do right by the sport, comport yourself like a pro, and us critics in the salon will cut you an awful lot of slack.
Who do you think Werthless was referring to in this last part, eh? Honestly Jon, just because he turned down your offer to fill Kim's shoes doesn't mean you have to take digs at him every week.

My own personal take on Moya is best summed up in this post of mine from last year: http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=251

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.

Last edited by Sjengster : 04-18-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Sjengster is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 PM   #4
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer express
simply...he fails to peak at slams. but his performances throughout the year justify his ranking at the end of the day.
The Croat fans will lap this up and dish it out in the "Ljubicic to finish the year in the top 8" thread.

Besides, it depends on where he gets to in the Slams - he never does notoriously badly as far as I remember...apart from Aus Open 2005. He seems to win a few rounds which is okay. His Masters points have been excellent in recent years and that makes up for his GS disappointments. He is still winning big matches and big points...just not the biggest.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
country flag Deivid23

Deivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond repute

I expect him to have a lot of success in next tourneys, wait and see. Vamos Charly.
Deivid23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
country flag euroka1

euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1

To me the rankings don't mean much and they are not much more than arcane numerology. I can see who the great players are at any one time. But I gather (see tennis4you discussion) that it all depends on the behind the scenes drudgery over the last year or so, much of which I never get to see.

After watching his two recent finals matches, who can doubt that Nadal is currently one of the best players in front of us today?
euroka1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:25 PM   #7
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it often enough, Moya had one of the best TMS results of all players last year and as long as he accumulated enough points to keep his Top 5 and Top 10 ranking it's deserved, no matter if he made an impact at Grand Slams or not, which is certainly sad that he failed to do in the past (but it doesn't matter for the ranking purpose as he is top 10 consistently since long time)

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Moya will reach at least the Semifinals of Barcelona.
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:08 AM   #9
country flag uNIVERSE mAN

uNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like Moya. He takes running around the back hand to a ridiculous level.
uNIVERSE mAN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:18 AM   #10
country flag Roger The Great

Roger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond reputeRoger The Great has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroka1
To me the rankings don't mean much and they are not much more than arcane numerology. I can see who the great players are at any one time. But I gather (see tennis4you discussion) that it all depends on the behind the scenes drudgery over the last year or so, much of which I never get to see.

After watching his two recent finals matches, who can doubt that Nadal is currently one of the best players in front of us today?
This may not be a popular statement but I don't find the current rankings system so bad. What they do is reward consistency over the course of 12 months, not just a great couple months of play. Nadal has been probably the second best player in the world since the Aussie Open. However, he isn't #2 in the rankings because he needs to prove he can keep that up. I personally think he can... But he needs to show that.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:28 AM   #11
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger The Great
This may not be a popular statement but I don't find the current rankings system so bad. What they do is reward consistency over the course of 12 months, not just a great couple months of play. Nadal has been probably the second best player in the world since the Aussie Open. However, he isn't #2 in the rankings because he needs to prove he can keep that up. I personally think he can... But he needs to show that.
agreed.
charly

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #12
country flag euroka1

euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger The Great
You're quite right. I guess that I view tennis through a rather narrow time window. It does seem to me though that, in the influence on the seeding and order of play in a tournament, the ranking system tilts the field and favors the establishment.
euroka1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #13
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uNIVERSE mAN
I don't like Moya. He takes running around the back hand to a ridiculous level.
I don't like his tennis either, for the same reason. But I respect his personality, the donation of the FULL Chennai prize money was a class act.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:45 AM   #14
propi

propi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond repute

Moya is great one of the most talented players out there
If he's in top 10 it's because he deserves it
He will stay there longer and will have great slams results again
Old 04-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #15
country flag JeLuliA88

JeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond reputeJeLuliA88 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter how he accumulates his points, as long as he is consistent enough, he deserve to be in the top 10.
JeLuliA88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote