Coria & Nadal post match interviews - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-18-2005, 01:26 AM   #1
country flag Clara Bow

Clara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coria & Nadal post match interviews

Guillermo seems to be in decent spirits after the match.

Quote:
An interview with:

GUILLERMO CORIA (Through Translation)

THE MODERATOR: First question, please.

Q. Rafael played a very good match today. How do you feel you played overall?

GUILLERMO CORIA: Well, I let the first set escape me, but the conditions were not favorable for me today because it was raining pretty hard and the balls were very heavy. I was not able to hurt him as much as I wanted to and as much as I did at the end. I was almost able to turn it around. I'm still very pleased with that match.

Q. For a first tournament on clay, you are happy overall?

GUILLERMO CORIA: Yes, because I lost against the best player on clay, on this surface. I thought that if the match was going to go long enough, he might get tired, but he was able to run very well.

Given my game on clay and given my tennis, my confidence is rising a lot. I believe that if I continue that way, I'll be all right for the French Open .

Q. Last year when you won here, do you feel you were playing better than now, a little bit better, a lot better, same?

GUILLERMO CORIA: Every year is different. Today I finished the match playing as well as I was playing last year, I believe. Therefore, I feel ready to fight for my next tournaments, the next Masters Series and also in the French Open .

I believe today I lost again to one of the favorites for the French Open , so this gives me confidence. Although I lost, I'm very pleased with my game today.

Q. Are you more disappointed that you lost the match, or that you missed that last dropshot?

GUILLERMO CORIA: He was playing well in all parts of the game and I didn't know where to play. I saw he was standing very far back, so I was also thinking that the percentage of my dropshots were good. I won more points with that than I lost, so I thought it was favorable. I thought I would hurt him with that.

But, anyway, I lost the finals of a Masters Series against a very good player.

Q. Was it a solution to play a lot of dropshots to make him play with the touch?

GUILLERMO CORIA: Yes, because he's not as good at the net as he is from the baseline. As I said, I won more points with that than I lost. But we were running so much, I had to find a solution for that match. During the whole week, I felt good with my dropshots.

Q. (Inaudible).

GUILLERMO CORIA: Today, no, I didn't see anything else because the conditions were very humid and the balls were very heavy. It was very difficult to win a point against him just leaving him far away from the ball.

He played very well, and I was surprised how much he was able to run. He was very good physically. Also, he was having a lot of success and luck with his shots. Even at the net he was winning points against me, and he served well. What I wanted to do is bring him up to the net.
Here is Rafael's. As usual, his English makes me giggle- it is quite cute. One thing I really like about Nadal is he is always honest about his game and where he needs to improve. I think that bodes well for him making the improvements and becoming an even better player in the future.

Quote:
An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English , please.

Q. Apart from the Davis Cup , is that your best moment in tennis?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I don't know. For now, yes, I think. Is my first title, my first big title. But I think I am very happy when I won the Davis Cup .

But now is unbelievable.

Q. How did you play today? How did you get out of losing the third set 6-‑Love, and then you came back very strongly?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I play very well the first two sets. With the forehand I play very, very well. And after, in the third set, he begin 2‑-Love, 3‑-Love, and I can't fight every set because my physic is not for the five sets, no. And I stop. In the third set I lost 6‑-Love.

And after, I come back in the fourth set very well, 4‑-0 ‑‑ no, 4-‑1. And after, the same of Miami , no? I'm a little bit scared because is the same situation. But finally I can won 7‑-5.

Q. He played a lot of dropshots, but you read them very well. Was it very tough to get to them all the time?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, he have the dropshot very, very well. I think is the best in the world.

But, you know, he won lot of points with that. But I can won some very important points, no ‑ last one, for example (smiling).

Q. Do you think the experience that you had playing Federer in Miami helped you today when he came back?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I am sure. Because I know what happen in Miami against Federer , and today I am very, very concentrate. I am very concentrate all the time. When I lost 4‑-1, 4‑-4 in the fourth, I am lot of concentration for win the match, no.

And in Miami , the same. But now I was lost one match, one final in Miami , and I think is important for me for won this match.

Q. You have been playing a lot of tennis lately. How are you feeling physically? Are you going to still play Barcelona next week? How are you feeling?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I am very happy for my tennis in this week. I am tired, is normal. But I hope I play Wednesday here in Barcelona , and I hope stay good for Wednesday, no? Is very important tournament for me, Barcelona . I like a lot and I want play good tournament in Barcelona .

Q. Do you sometimes amaze yourself at some of the shots you get back?

RAFAEL NADAL: I know all people say me, I return balls unbelievable. But I don't know. In the match, I only think about the point.

Q. How much do you think this win will do for you for the future? Obviously, it's a big, big event to win on clay.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, yeah, my first very important tournament, no? Is one title. All remember this title, everything.

But my objective is improve my tennis, no, and need improve some shots, and this is my objective for now, no. I need improve my serve, my volley, my slice. And if I do, if I improve these shots, I think I can won lot of matches, no?

Q. You actually serve‑ volleyed about three times today, which was good for grass.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it's okay, yeah. I am happy because sometimes Coria is very tough. He never miss. And I need do anything, no? When I a little bit tired, I will try all, go to the net, no.

But is lottery.

Q. But every point you came in, you won.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, not every point.

Q. When you serve ‑volleyed.

RAFAEL NADAL: With serve ‑volley, yes. Not every point (smiling).

Q. Would you have been worried if it had gone to a fifth set? Would you have been worried physically?

RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, it's tough. I am a little bit tired but I will try won the match, but I am tired.

Q. So now you are maybe the favorite for Roland Garros ? What do you think?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. I am not favorite, no. Is my first Roland Garros . I only think about the next tournaments: Barcelona , Rome , Hamburg now, you know. I am playing good now, but I don't know when is in the French Open I gonna play good or I gonna play bad. If I play the same like this, I can won, I can do a good result.

Not favorite, but I can do good result. But I don't know, is after one month.

Q. Don't you think that you should skip one of the following tournaments, either Barcelona , Rome , Hamburg , in order to be fit in Roland Garros , or you can be too tired?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. So I play the final in Miami , I play the final here. That's normal for me, no. I can think that.

But I have Barcelona , I stop one week, and this is important for me. I play the two Masters Series, is very important tournaments. And after, I stop another week, no, after, before Roland Garros . So I think is good for me.

Q. Even though you lost in Miami in the final in five sets, and you had to play four out of five here, do you think it's just good to be playing best‑ of ‑five to actually prepare yourself for the major championships?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, for the Grand Slam is a good preparation. But I know ‑‑ I think when the tournament is all tournament in three sets, I think is better the final in three sets, too, no?

But the rules is that.

Q. It's good to get the feel of playing the five ‑set matches, like Davis Cup , as well?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, yeah, yeah, as well. I play some matches, lot of matches, tough matches in Davis Cup final, in Australia against Hewitt , against Youzhny , in Miami against Federer . I play some matches tough and is important. Sometimes I won, sometimes I lost, but I play good these matches.

Q. You proved that you've got the energy and the concentration for it, for the five sets.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I don't know, no? Sometimes yes; sometimes no. But I am happy for today. I don't think any more.

Q. What was the key to your game?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't miss a lot of balls... (very few unforced errors.) And that's very important for play good in clay, no?

I am very happy with my forehand, with my backhand. And with the serve, I serve bad the first day. I serve ‑‑ and after the first day, I improve my serve. I serve better every day.

I want to practice after first match, and I am happy because I improve around the tournament.

Q. Do you practice weightlifting and training?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sometimes. But now when I am in the tournaments, I can't. If I lost and I have five days with coach, sometimes. But nothing special, no. Not a lot.

Q. Is there a difference between the right and left biceps?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not a lot of difference (smiling).

Last edited by Clara Bow : 04-18-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Clara Bow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 02:29 AM   #2
country flag DanEd

DanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coria & Nadal post match interviews

Nadal very often says no?
DanEd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:58 AM   #3
country flag nkhera1

nkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal is not tired now and is going to play in the Barcelona event, whereas he withdrew from Indian Wells because he was tired playing about the same number events. Maybe he didn't wan't his confidence to go down with a loss, but he would have gained more points by playing in the Indian Wells tournament if you ask me. I find that kind of strange.
nkhera1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:02 AM   #4
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhera1
Nadal is not tired now and is going to play in the Barcelona event, whereas he withdrew from Indian Wells because he was tired playing about the same number events. Maybe he didn't wan't his confidence to go down with a loss, but he would have gained more points by playing in the Indian Wells tournament if you ask me. I find that kind of strange.
Before Indian Wells he played two tournaments in SA. Then he immediately flew to Europe to train and play in DC the next week. Then in order to play IW, he would have had to have flown to the USA immediately following DC. These situations are not the same in terms of travel, nor are the same in terms of changing from one surface to another, then back to the other.

Furthermore, seeing as Rafa is one match short of maxing out his possibly points from his last two events, I really doubt that playing IW would have helped. It probably would ahve hindered.

He absolutely made the right choice, and has proved it by dividing his ranking by a factor of 3 over the past month.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:31 AM   #5
country flag uNIVERSE mAN

uNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEd
huh? what are you talking about, no?
uNIVERSE mAN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #6
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uNIVERSE mAN
huh? what are you talking about, no?
lol, lol practicing your imitation skills I see!
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #7
country flag Becarina

Becarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEd

kind of like "right" or "you know" in English.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #8
country flag Deivid23

Deivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe
He absolutely made the right choice, and has proved it by dividing his ranking by a factor of 3 over the past month.
Even if he had´t divided his ranking by a factor of 3, it was clear that was a smart decision.
Deivid23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #9
country flag Deivid23

Deivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond repute

Coria: "...Also, he was having a lot of success and luck with his shots..."

Not too classy as always, but there was a funny thing Coria said during the match that TV got, when he missed a bh by inches he said:

"El pendejo las tira a la línea y yo no!"

Translate: "The kid hits the lines and I can´t!"
Old 04-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #10
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deivid23

Not too classy as always, but there was a funny thing Coria said during the match that TV got, when he missed a bh by inches he said:

He is not known as "El Tramposo" for nothing.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #11
country flag Becarina

Becarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond reputeBecarina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

thought pendejo was a dirty word...
Old 04-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #12
country flag Deivid23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysGirl
thought pendejo was a dirty word...
I think it´s not disrespectful, maybe a bit if so, like "nińato" in Spanish, Argentinian fellas can answer better than me. I have the feeling pendejo = young guy
Old 04-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #13
country flag Deivid23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
He is not known as "El Tramposo" for nothing.
Yeah I know, it´s funny to see him in the defeat, he´s everything but classy, yesterday when he said some words to crowd in the trophy ceremony, he didn´t congratulate Nadal
Old 04-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #14
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah I know, it´s funny to see him in the defeat, he´s everything but classy, yesterday when he said some words to crowd in the trophy ceremony, he didn´t congratulate Nadal
Yes, I noticed that and then there was his great RG speech as well. At least he was honest when he said "I respect him as a player, but not as a man".

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:15 AM   #15
country flag Deivid23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Yes, I noticed that and then there was his great RG speech as well. At least he was honest when he said "I respect him as a player, but not as a man".
I couldn´t watch nor read that speech those days, if you have a link or something I´d appreciate it.