"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 62 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 305 80.47%
Leave them as they are 74 19.53%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #916
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
All of these indoor tournaments are slow as well with one or two exceptions.
Yes at the moment we have a truck load of slow outdoor hard court tournaments outdoors, and another truck load of slow indoor hard court tournaments.

That's not good for surface/playing style variety, or for the long-term health of the players. Hard courts are absolutely brutal on the body, so speeding up some of the hard court tournaments would benefit players, as well as those of us who enjoy tennis on both slow and fast surfaces and want more of a balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
Well I can see where you're coming from.

Interesting idea, but because of how isolated that part of the season is going to be, and with no GS on carpet, I can see many top players missing out on this period through 'injuries'. I think indoor season should be 50/50 carpet/hard and the asian swing should also be indoors.
I definately agree that there shouldn't be any outdoor hard events after the US Open.

I suppose my logic is that the traditionally the 4 main surfaces in tennis are clay, grass, hard and carpet. Those other 3 surfaces are represented at the slams. Thus I think the that the 5th biggest tournament, the WTF, should go back to carpet (it changed to hard courts in 1997), so that all 4 of those surfaces are represented at the 5 biggest tournaments. 3 out of the 5 biggest tournaments being played on hard courts is just wrong IMO.

As Henry said the tournament could be played on a reasonably fast carpet surface that wasn't a crazy ice rink (like in those notorious Davis Cup ties in Minsk over the years).
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #917
country flag tribalfusion

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan27 View Post
in federer times the courts were fast and the clay slow.....after 2007 ATP started to slow even more the courts like in australia , masters cup , arthur ashe , heavy balls in wimbledon (even more slow).

australia was played in rebound ace since the 90s for example
As I recall, some of the main changes occurred during Federer's early years. Wimbledon was the early 2000s by all accounts for example.
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #918
country flag MalwareDie

MalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
It's rare that I completely agree with Federer on anything, but this is one of those cases. Would be cool if he used his influence to make it happen
It just won't happen. The ATP wants the courts to be this slow.
MalwareDie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #919
country flag spencercarlos

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond reputespencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

In other parts of the world... the spaniards complain that surface for Davis Cup final has nothing to do with the WTF surface, hence QUICK.

RE LOL

http://www.marca.com/2012/11/13/teni...352833662.html

I hope this slow ass surfaces get changed in fact all surfaces should get back to what they were in the past, its simply like playing a different sport, endurance sport.

Little FEDERER, Roger (SUI) Versus Defending Wimbledon Champ Pete SAMPRAS (USA)
Year Tournament Round Surface Winner Score
2001 Wimbledon 16 Grass (O) R.FEDERER 7-6(7) 5-7 6-4 6-7(2) 7-5

Does he really believes this is the same Federer of then?
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #920
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

from 5-5 in the first set to 1-0 in the second set, yesterday, i counted off the top of my head about 10-15 occasions on which djokovic could have, and should have, came to net to finish off the points

the courts are slow. players do not know how to volley.

same playing style everywhere; younger players who do not rely on endless stamina and retrieving do not get high up the rankings e.g dimitrov

speed up AO, slow down RG, speed up wimbledon, speed up US, speed up WTF

speed up indian wells, slow down madrid, speed up Paris, shanghai can bugger off

miami and canada have always been slow hard courts

cincinnati and monte carlo are probably the only masters tournaments at the moment which are at the correct speed

undecided on rome
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #921
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

AO has always been slow medium that's fine, the US Open is the one that should never have slowed down.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #922
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed wants faster courts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanKowalski View Post
He didn't say: A faster court would only have benefited Novak even more.

GTFO troll.
Of course Djoker doesn't like playing serve bots with bad one handed bhs on carpet. He played Federer too many times.

He's better with Jerzy Janowicz, who can play real tennis and can improve Djoker.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #923
country flag JanKowalski

JanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone recall a comment about surfaces from Federer from his top period where what he describes became evident and he was the main beneficiary?
From early 2008, about the change from Rebound Ace to Plexicushion in Australia:

"I think the surface is a little bit too slow," he said. "Everything is already slowing down. Everybody's already complaining that we're playing too much from the baseline. So we'll only see more of that here in Australia, that's for sure."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/sp...anted=all&_r=0
JanKowalski is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #924
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone recall a comment about surfaces from Federer from his top period where what he describes became evident and he was the main beneficiary?
He made a similar quote earlier this year. Action Jackson had it in his signature for a while
Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #925
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
He made a similar quote earlier this year. Action Jackson had it in his signature for a while
The Federer quote

Like I said, I think he (Nadal) just plays good, you know, and he's obviously improved a lot on all surfaces over the years. Anyway, every surface is very similar today, otherwise we couldn't have achieved all these things on all these different surfaces so quickly, like him and myself.
He's a very good player, obviously.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #926
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
The Federer quote

Like I said, I think he (Nadal) just plays good, you know, and he's obviously improved a lot on all surfaces over the years. Anyway, every surface is very similar today, otherwise we couldn't have achieved all these things on all these different surfaces so quickly, like him and myself.
He's a very good player, obviously.
I think that federer said that because he not wanted troubles with nadal saying that slow courts helps rafa.

federer won wimbledon playing serve and volley and in this era with very fast courts would be much better to him , much more in grass , maybe with that speed of wimbledon he would never lost to nadal.

in this era with fast courts federer would be happy , in others era like the 90s the things would be more balanced but with this field in fast courts no.

anyway , federer not said that the courts were slow after lost with novak , he said in his training with tim henman in the O2 arena that the court was more slow than in 2010 and 2011 , and this was before his match against tipsarevic
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #927
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
I think that federer said that because he not wanted troubles with nadal saying that slow courts helps rafa.
No, Federer benefited on clay all of them have benefited on different surfaces hence the comment.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #928
country flag danieln1

danieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond reputedanieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
federer speaking abour courts speed:

LONDON -- With the top defensive players increasingly getting the better of him often in recent years, Roger Federer would like to speed up the game of tennis.

Or at least the courts the matches are played on.

Federer lost to Novak Djokovic in the final of the season-ending ATP finals on Monday, and then praised the top-ranked Serb's ability to retrieve so many shots and keep the ball in play. That's a trait Djokovic shares with Federer's other two biggest rivals -- Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray -- and the Swiss star said attacking play doesn't always reap the benefits it deserves even on hard courts because they're often slower than they used to be.

"It's an easy fix. Just make quicker courts, then it's hard to defend," Federer said. "Attacking style is more important. It's only on this type of slow courts that you can defend the way we are all doing right now."

Monday's final at the O2 Arena had a familiar feel to it. Federer did most of the attacking, trying to dictate play with his forehand and aggressive shot making. But Djokovic, as he often does, kept finding ways to get the ball back over the net and was sharper on the key points.

Federer won the first nine points of the match and was up an early break in both sets, but Djokovic recovered to win 7-6 (6), 7-5.

Federer was the two-time defending champion in London and emphasized that he was happy with this court, calling it one of the faster indoor surfaces on the circuit. He said slower courts are also good for long rallies -- which are a big crowd pleaser -- but that having more variety in the surfaces would force players to learn to be more aggressive.

"What you don't want is that you hit 15 great shots and at the end, it ends up in an error," he said. "So I think sometimes quicker courts do help the cause. I think it would help from time to time to move to something a bit faster. That would help to learn, as well, for many different players, different playing styles, to realize that coming to the net is a good thing, it's not a bad thing."

Federer has won a record-equaling seven Wimbledon titles on grass, the quickest surface, but has only one French Open title on the slower clay, where Nadal has repeatedly thwarted him.

Djokovic and Murray also rely heavily on their great defensive abilities, which have helped set them apart from the rest of the pack.

Having more tournaments played on faster surfaces could make it easier for other players to challenge the sport's "Big Four," Federer said, adding that he wasn't sure tournament directors would necessarily buy into that.

"I think some variety would be nice, some really slow stuff and then some really fast stuff, instead of trying to make everything sort of the same," he said. "You sort of protect the top guys really by doing that because you have the best possible chance to have them in the semis at this point, I think. But should that be the goal? I'm not sure."

Djokovic said his strategy against Federer is usually to try and extend the rallies and hope for an opportunity.

"He's somebody that is very aggressive, that likes to finish points very quickly," Djokovic said. "But I managed to get a lot of shots back into the court, being passive, a couple meters behind the baseline. ... That was one of the goals tonight, to always try to get him into the longer rallies where I think I had the better chance."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the confirmation of nole using soome nadal`s tactic for beat federer , being passive and wait for fed`s mistake , the difference is that many times when federer serves well and plays better nole`s shots are not equals than nadal , he hasn`t that terrible lefty spin forehand of nadal that tortures fed`s backhand.

obviusly this kind of tactics are more easy to do in slow courts.
Every sensible person loves attacking tennis...

Who likes to watch endless grindfests with the same type of long rallies????

Also supporting Fabrice Santoro (legend), Novak Djokovic, all the brazilian guys, Del Potro, Zeballos, Rosol, Dodig, Darcis, Wawrinka, Dolgopolov, Ferrer
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #929
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
No, Federer benefited on clay all of them have benefited on different surfaces hence the comment.
in the case of clay I think that was the weathers conditions of that year in 2009 in where roland garros was faster similar with the year of that agassi won rg too.

but I think that federer with fast courts in this era I mean after 2008 , the guy would win more.

but if roger played with players like in the 90s . the things would be more balance
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #930
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
in the case of clay I think that was the weathers conditions of that year in 2009 in where roland garros was faster similar with the year of that agassi won rg too.

but I think that federer with fast courts in this era I mean after 2008 , the guy would win more.

but if roger played with players like in the 90s . the things would be more balance
That was not the point of the comment about whether Federer would do better in a different era considering he started before homogenisation.

The point is very clear and simple, that apart from movement there is so little difference between the surface speeds therefore it much easier for them to be breaking the records they did which is exactly what Federer was saying.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1