"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 46 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 304 80.42%
Leave them as they are 74 19.58%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #676
country flag ahadabans

ahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond reputeahadabans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Rackets and strings changed which forced court changes. I think the goal has always been to keep a reasonable balance between serve and return of serve. Have they done that? I don't know.

Fact of the matter is, the game has changed. Is is better or worse? Sort of open to interpretation.

They probably should have kept wooden rackets. Game was more pure way back in the day. It was cat and mouse, more strategy, you couldn't blow people off the courts - you had to construct points and outfox your opponent. It's been a long time since the game was like that though.

My personal feeling is the courts are fast enough. Ball bashing shouldn't be rewarded IMO. You should have to construct points to win, not just unleash 100 MPH haymakers when behind in a point and win. That's not tennis in my book. But that's just my opinion. I favor slower surfaces like clay because they can still have that cat and mouse feel.
ahadabans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #677
country flag FairWeatherFan

FairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond repute

The courts have been deliberately slowed down in order to make the sport more marketable.

If the courts are at a consistent speed, it is easier for the same group of players to continually reach the latter stages of tournaments. This provides a "consistent narrative" to the sport which can be used for marketing purposes. Quite simply, the tennis authorities in the past did not like it when randoms such as Thomas Johansson won slams. It is much better for marketing purposes - at least to the casual fan - if the same group of players dominate. The media can play up rivalries between the "big four", and they can claim that it is a "golden era" of the sport because the big four are so much further ahead of the field, although both these effects have been artificially manipulated. You can see these lines trotted out by many mainstream tennis journalists.

However, this approach has had a number of deleterious effects on the sport:
1. Lack of diversity in playing styles - true grass-court and clay-court tennis are rarely seen these days. Uniformity in surfaces obviously produces uniformity in playing styles.
2. More physical matches and more injuries due to the slower court surfaces, particularly on hardcourt. The more physical nature of matches has been epitomised by this year's AO and US Open finals.
3. Increase in average age of players on tour - interrelated with 2), the younger players find it more difficult to compete in more physical matches and hence more players are peaking in the latter stages of their career.
4. Fewer upsets and more predictability in results which is a negative for some portions of the fan-base.
5. Lack of depth - amongst players outside of the top four, less points are required to be in the top 50 than in previous years.

From a marketing perspective the "consistent narrative" provided by the slower court speeds attracts a broader cross-section of casual fans of the sport but risks alienating those fans who are already adherents to the sport due to the deleterious effects listed above.
FairWeatherFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #678
country flag cmoss

cmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond repute

Add more speed to the Wimbledon and US open pls!

Roger Federer | Grigor Dimitrov | Dominic Thiem | Nick Kyrgios | Alexander Zverev
cmoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #679
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWeatherFan View Post
The courts have been deliberately slowed down in order to make the sport more marketable.

If the courts are at a consistent speed, it is easier for the same group of players to continually reach the latter stages of tournaments. This provides a "consistent narrative" to the sport which can be used for marketing purposes. Quite simply, the tennis authorities in the past did not like it when randoms such as Thomas Johansson won slams. It is much better for marketing purposes - at least to the casual fan - if the same group of players dominate. The media can play up rivalries between the "big four", and they can claim that it is a "golden era" of the sport because the big four are so much further ahead of the field, although both these effects have been artificially manipulated. You can see these lines trotted out by many mainstream tennis journalists.

However, this approach has had a number of deleterious effects on the sport:
1. Lack of diversity in playing styles - true grass-court and clay-court tennis are rarely seen these days. Uniformity in surfaces obviously produces uniformity in playing styles.
2. More physical matches and more injuries due to the slower court surfaces, particularly on hardcourt. The more physical nature of matches has been epitomised by this year's AO and US Open finals.
3. Increase in average age of players on tour - interrelated with 2), the younger players find it more difficult to compete in more physical matches and hence more players are peaking in the latter stages of their career.
4. Fewer upsets and more predictability in results which is a negative for some portions of the fan-base.
5. Lack of depth - amongst players outside of the top four, less points are required to be in the top 50 than in previous years.

From a marketing perspective the "consistent narrative" provided by the slower court speeds attracts a broader cross-section of casual fans of the sport but risks alienating those fans who are already adherents to the sport due to the deleterious effects listed above.
spot on

disgusting manipulation of the playing surfaces has killed all court tennis
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #680
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

FairWeather is right for the most part as to why it has happened and the consequences.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #681
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherer View Post
The USO surface allows more spin than a grass court. But I don't know to what extent that makes one of them faster than the other.
Obviously the answer to that is grass/Wimbledon = faster than USO/hard surface

Elementary physics dictates that (assuming all else is more or less equal) more spin = more power needed to maintain speed. Otherwise a spinning ball flies slower than a flat one.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #682
country flag kafkavert

kafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond reputekafkavert has a reputation beyond repute

4, 5 hours matches are a tragedy! YOu can't bring Tennis to Network TV with 4, 5 hours of pushing!
kafkavert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #683
country flag Mr.Michael

Mr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond repute

That "indoor" court in St. Petersburg is a disgrace. It's slower than Estoril. No aces and no one is holdng serve. Disgusting.
Mr.Michael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #684
country flag Marcoo

Marcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond repute

Faster courts, are definitely gonna be better for us, the Audience. But what about the players ? I can't really tell if that would be better for them or not
Marcoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #685
country flag Mr.Michael

Mr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope that Brad Drewett, who's an old school Australian fast court player is happy now. That stupid semi in St.Petersburg was almost 4 hours! On a indoor court. And one player involved is Youzhny, who's basically a shot maker.

RIP tennis.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #686
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Michael View Post
I really hope that Brad Drewett, who's an old school Australian fast court player is happy now. That stupid semi in St.Petersburg was almost 4 hours! On a indoor court. And one player involved is Youzhny, who's basically a shot maker.

RIP tennis.
had nothing to do with the court speed mate. Both Youhzhny and Klizan have very poor serves, with little pace, so there were way too many returns put into play. Both were chocking and playing it safe. The result was a WTA-match...in the ATP.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #687
country flag Mr.Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
had nothing to do with the court speed mate. Both Youhzhny and Klizan have very poor serves, with little pace, so there were way too many returns put into play. Both were chocking and playing it safe. The result was a WTA-match...in the ATP.
No no, it's really lightning fast and great old fashioned indoor tennis...

The whole week has been slow as hell. Players serve maybe 2-3 aces per matchand that's combined. Break point stats have been the whole week something like 10/16 in every match and for almost every player.

And I watched that semi final. Yes, it's very very slow out there.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #688
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Michael View Post
No no, it's really lightning fast and great old fashioned indoor tennis...

The whole week has been slow as hell. Players serve maybe 2-3 aces per matchand that's combined. Break point stats have been the whole week something like 10/16 in every match and for almost every player.

And I watched that semi final. Yes, it's very very slow out there.
I'm not saying the conditions were fast. But this match was mostly horrible due to both guys not having a dominant serve. This is nothing new for both Mischa and Klizan. The slower court just made this more clear. But it's not as if they slowed these courts down. Murray winning somewhere back to back usually means it's slow.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #689
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafkavert View Post
4, 5 hours matches are a tragedy! YOu can't bring Tennis to Network TV with 4, 5 hours of pushing!
Best out of 3 in Slams and use smaller / lighter balls
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #690
country flag Mr.Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
I'm not saying the conditions were fast. But this match was mostly horrible due to both guys not having a dominant serve. This is nothing new for both Mischa and Klizan. The slower court just made this more clear. But it's not as if they slowed these courts down. Murray winning somewhere back to back usually means it's slow.
Seriously, there's not one clay court tournament which is slower than this one. Anyway I don't think that St. Petersburg will be in the ATP-calendar after next year. If they move the indoor tournaments to February.