"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 42 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 307 80.37%
Leave them as they are 75 19.63%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #616
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Speed up the courts" thread

Murray can beat Nadal in Miami and a player like Isner is almost a coin flip. I think there is a reason why Nadal never won Miami, probably it got to do with not very high bounce like in Indian Wells.
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #617
country flag Eden
#Hopp Suisse

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Fish: Too many slow surfaces everywhere

Friday, March 30, 2012

Mardy Fish, who lost to Juan Monaco, 6-1, 6-3, in the Sony Ericsson Open quarterfinals yesterday, said that the conditions were slow, which has become a trend on tour.

"This surface is extremely slow. I would love just to have a couple tournaments that are quicker surfaces," Fish said. "It's not necessarily the surface per se but the balls. The balls get so big and so fluffy even after a warm-up that for an attacking, fast-court type player, it's extremely hard to play those guys. Sometimes you have to execute almost every shot. You have to execute big time to beat those guys playing on the slower surfaces.

"Indian Wells is extremely slow with the balls, especially at night when we play there. It's two different tournaments: during the day and during the night. Australia is extremely slow. Wimbledon's balls are unbelievably heavy.It's hard to find fast surfaces these days that I can get away with, and the first two that jump out are Montreal and Cincinnati. I don't think it was necessarily a coincidence of my results there, because I'm a fast court player. There's just not many surfaces like it anymore."

Source: http://tennis.com/articles/templates...7032&zoneid=25
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #618
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Big fast outdoor HC is pretty much limited to those two...

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #619
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Fish is spot on.

It doesn't help the players' health either as Nadal's pullout testifies. Slower than ass hard courts kill joints and damage limbs. Get rid.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #620
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Hum...I thought all the players were in cahoots to have the same slow surfaces everywhere. At leat that's what we see here all time...

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #621
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Have the balls changed at Wimbledon? If so, when did they change and what from?
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #622
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

atp are not interested in going back to 70 minute finishes for best of 3 sets matches like in the 90s and early 00s......the situation has gotten out of control......they need 2 1/2 or 3 hour finishes every match.....all the leading sponsors would ditch them and run after some other sport if the courts are sped up again and match lengths are shortened......

it's all sad but that's the way it is......they have stretched the glorification of the sport part too far.....they sacrificed surface variety, tennis styles and unpredictability to expand the reach of the sport, increase the match length for commercial reasons and build a huge global following through the superstars they created......

it's now very hard to get back to old times......technology is another thing which has such a huge influence......

i don't think slams are still that bad......french open is actually faster and us open is fast as always, last year it took some time to speed up and threw an impression that it was slow.....if anything it's wimbledon which was slowed down a little but still it's great for good servers......
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #623
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Fish is spot on.

It doesn't help the players' health either as Nadal's pullout testifies. Slower than ass hard courts kill joints and damage limbs. Get rid.
nadal would himself like the surfaces faster.....his top spin forehands won't sit up to get spanked on fast courts and his serve slides away on slick surfaces making it more difficult.....he is at his best when on the run and defending.....slow surfaces don't benefit him as much as people think.....

he is a player who got rid of karlovic on fast grass of queen's club as early as in 2007.....he will still have some trouble returning players like karlovic on fast courts but he proved in the past that with sustained match play on fast courts, he is capable of winning.....

for nadal if the court is faster,

serve: asset

ros: liability which can be overcome upon practice and match play.....

forehand: asset

backhand: real asset, they will push him to pass off that wing and
he's at his best doing that.....if you give him time, he will dump it in the net......

attack: neutral

defense: should we even talk about the greatest retriever ever's defense?
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #624
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon and US Open are getting slower, tertible. Where are attacking players gonna go to earn points? Mardy was so correct but lets forget about the big players at the moment. Players coming through and those which have just established themselves who are attacking minded will have no chance to earn points if all the top level surfaces are slower than tar rolling on a subtle incline. The ATP are developing a playing style amongst all youth players now which, if continues to go this way will just result in one type of player: Baseliner with double handed backhand. Nothing will be unique, it will basically come down to who can last longer, e.g. Aussie Open final. It's very exciting every now and then to see a marathon iron man match. But for the sake of variety, flare, beauty and above all the health of ALL tennis players, they HAVE to speed up a good portion of the hardcourts and the Grass. It does no one favours running back and forth for hours on end. It's destroying careers, and probably ending ones before they have even begun. It's good to have a mix, slow hard courts are great but so are fast, ATP surely realise that tennis fans go beyond the people they get through the gate?

Greed ruins everything.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #625
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
"It's not necessarily the surface per se but the balls. The balls get so big and so fluffy even after a warm-up that for an attacking, fast-court type player, it's extremely hard to play those guys.

Another reason why this thread is a big fail
Matt01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #626
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
nadal would himself like the surfaces faster.....his top spin forehands won't sit up to get spanked on fast courts and his serve slides away on slick surfaces making it more difficult.....he is at his best when on the run and defending.....slow surfaces don't benefit him as much as people think.....

he is a player who got rid of karlovic on fast grass of queen's club as early as in 2007.....he will still have some trouble returning players like karlovic on fast courts but he proved in the past that with sustained match play on fast courts, he is capable of winning.....

for nadal if the court is faster,

serve: asset

ros: liability which can be overcome upon practice and match play.....

forehand: asset

backhand: real asset, they will push him to pass off that wing and
he's at his best doing that.....if you give him time, he will dump it in the net......

attack: neutral

defense: should we even talk about the greatest retriever ever's defense?
I don't know if this makes much sense, since Rafa has won the majority of his titles on slow, high-bouncing surfaces.

Take Cincinnati for example, I don't think Rafa has even made the final there so far, and that's the fastest you can get nowadays...

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #627
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Another reason why this thread is a big fail
Behave.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #628
country flag Arkin

Arkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
I don't know if this makes much sense, since Rafa has won the majority of his titles on slow, high-bouncing surfaces.

Take Cincinnati for example, I don't think Rafa has even made the final there so far, and that's the fastest you can get nowadays...
yep
only m1000 where he never the final i think
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #629
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Behave.

Anything relevant to say about Mardy's quotes? Or are you still seriously believing that this stupid thread title is valid?
Matt01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #630
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin View Post
yep
only m1000 where he never the final i think
Yeah, closest he's been is losing to JCF in the SF in 2008, I think. Just goes to show what'd happen if at least some of the courts were fast.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote