"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 116 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 298 80.54%
Leave them as they are 72 19.46%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #1726
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

18 aces from Karlovic in 2 sets against a good returner in Berdych.

I think Nishikori was a bit too used to Tokyo surface while going into this event.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #1727
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
18 aces from Karlovic in 2 sets against a good returner in Berdych.

I think Nishikori was a bit too used to Tokyo surface while going into this event.
18 aces in 12 or so service games is not really indicative of a very fast surface when we're talking about Karlovic, especially if there were some long service games. I've no idea, I never seen the match. I've yet to see any play this year.

I was about to say the camera angle may be something to do with it but players aren't going to be net rushing due to the camera angle. It would be nice to have a genuinely fast indoor surface but I'm sceptical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #1728

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Last time Karlovic did any serious damage it was in Bogota this year where conditions are what they are. Now he does it again by not getting broken for two sets and with the previous break being from 2 hallelujah returns of Berdych. The pace might not be the same as in 2007 but the angles and precision will never change with Karlovic's serve.

Also Wawrinka is notoriously bad on a quick surface and look what happened to him today.

So far signs are indicating I might be right. I hope I am.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #1729
country flag PileDrive

PileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond repute

Shanghai Tournament official admits that they have fastened up the courts of this year edition of Masters 1000:

Quote:
At least two top-tier tournaments have taken corrective action. The first to speed up conditions significantly in an attempt to encourage the attack was the 2010 indoor Masters 1000 in Paris, although it later retrenched in the face of player criticism. The most recent move came at this year’s Masters 1000 in Shanghai in which Djokovic beat Juan Martín del Potro in last month’s final. Shanghai, like Paris, is played on hard courts, and this time there was no backlash, at least not yet.

“We set it up faster than we’ve ever done before,” said Charles Smith, an American who is part of the tournament’s leadership group and is also on the ATP board of directors. “We were medium fast last year and fast this year
, and I think it was a negative historically for people if you had a fast court. And this is part of the narrative people are coming to grips with. Even with fast courts, you still get 20-shot rallies and beautiful points. These guys are just such good defenders. Novak is as fast as any guy I’ve seen, side to side, so part of this is trying to keep up with the players and their evolution.”

Smith said the decision to speed up the court was made after consulting with players, fans and reporters, and it was done by play testing and then lowering the silicone, or grit, content in the cushioned acrylic surface.

“It’s amazing to see these guys get back into points the way players didn’t in the past,” Smith said. “So the rallies are getting longer and longer, and so part of the thing in speeding up the court was to reward a player for taking risks.”

Smith said he was surprised to see rallies still extending past 15 strokes on a “very quick court.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/02/sp...ng-future.html

So ok, people were saying Nadal would not have prayer in theses conditions if they did..It took a DelGoatro circa 2009 to beat him there, and even then, he had his chances to possibly take to a deciding third set..
Old 11-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #1730
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

Shanghai

Hopefully other tournaments can follow their example.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #1731

Yeah things are looking pretty good. This year both Montreal and Shanghai were fast. Two Masters 1000 Events.

The stigma will not disappear because the same players will be at the end of these tournaments but that's more to how much superior they are compared to the competition. However it's clear that the level of play is just that much better when the courts are fast.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #1732
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

What's more alarming to me is that Montreal and Shanghai are being classed as fast courts. Maybe for the current environment but they look more like Medium paced hardcourts amongst a calendar of slow courts.

The Australian Open's rebound ace used to be referred to as a medium-slow hard court but it looks like an ice rink compared to some of the courts today.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #1733
country flag QuitYerWhining

QuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond repute

I think they should start playing on a giant bar of soap. Footing would be a challenge and the ball would skid really hard. Servebots would have their day though.

Currently supporting whoever entertains me.
QuitYerWhining is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #1734
country flag MarsManana

MarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond reputeMarsManana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
I think they should start playing on a giant bar of soap. Footing would be a challenge and the ball would skid really hard. Servebots would have their day though.
Doc Ivo would have a career Grand Slam.
MarsManana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #1735

Quote:
What's more alarming to me is that Montreal and Shanghai are being classed as fast courts. Maybe for the current environment but they look more like Medium paced hardcourts amongst a calendar of slow courts.

The Australian Open's rebound ace used to be referred to as a medium-slow hard court but it looks like an ice rink compared to some of the courts today.
That can be a matter of perception as well. Djokovic and Nadal today eat up the ground far quicker than pretty much anyone else in the past eras.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #1736
country flag Burrow

Quote:
That can be a matter of perception as well. Djokovic and Nadal today eat up the ground far quicker than pretty much anyone else in the past eras.
I can see what you mean.

If you've watched enough tennis, you can look past that. It's all about the way the ball reacts after contact relative to the spin applied.

I watched 20 minutes or so from Arazi/Philippoussis at the 2004 Australian Open a few days ago. The difference is quite remarkable. There's no way at all that the rebound ace of 2004 would be classed as medium/slow today.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #1737
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest way is to look at the punch volleys and how they react to the surface. Nowadays they get zero purchase after bouncing and just sit up nicely for your opponent to pound into the huge gap since you thought hitting into the opponent court was a clever idea. The ball doesn't accelerate off the surface anywhere near as much as before - that's just a fact.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #1738
country flag Burrow

Not sure how much of it is related to balls either. I know that they used the Penn ATP (and with the Masters Series logo on for Masters Series events) balls before, which I played with and thought were pretty fast balls. I don't think the Wilson US Open's have changed. The Wimbledon Slazenger balls have been big and slow for quite some time and the Australian Open changed to Slazenger in 2008 with the surface change. Gasquet complained about these balls and said it was difficult to generate power.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #1739
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is it me or is Basel abnormally fast? Like skidding fast.

For the past few years it was generally medium paced and much faster in the early 00s but this year it seems like some of the players barely have an idea on how to play on it. It also seems like everybody is humping that net with every opportunity. What happened?

Have any of you heard of Robbie's comments in the booth about this matter?
Comms said the court was medium pace but the balls were light / fast.
Court seemed to take slices well too.
Slice Winner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #1740
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just happy that some tournament director, somewhere, isn't a complete tardfuck that thinks courts need to keep getting slower and slower.

Their's still good in this world.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote