Why are Connors and Lendl underrated in comparison of Agassi and Mcenroe? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
country flag blueclay
Banned!

blueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why are Connors and Lendl underrated in comparison of Agassi and Mcenroe?

IS that because they were less trendy? Because both connors and Lendl were so consistent in the top of the rankings, and winning so many titles, they surely deserve more recognizion than they have.

I think both Lendl and Connors are borderline tier 1 all-time greats.
blueclay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
country flag Moonball Pusher

Moonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Connors and Lendl underrated in comparison of Agassi and Mcenroe?

They aren't underrated at all.

Federer - Isner - Tsonga - Gulbis - Dimitrov - Cilic - Sock - Thiem
Tennis disgraces: Nadal, Ferrer, Fognini

Fantasy Tennis Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Thank You Rafa.... Thank You For Everything, I Owe My Entire Life To You Rafa, You Are My God You Are My God You Are My God, My Life Is Blessed Now That You Inhibit This Earth, Thanks Rafa
Moonball Pusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #3
country flag blueclay
Banned!

blueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Connors and Lendl underrated in comparison of Agassi and Mcenroe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonball Pusher View Post
They aren't underrated at all.
They are , specially Lendl. A lot of people put Lendl below agassi on all time greats, however he was quite more dominant.
blueclay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Agassi played more recently, more people remember him. McEnroe got a bigger name because of his antics and high profile while active, and possibly for his commentating afterwards.

Lendl and Connors are both clearly a level above Agassi and McEnroe for merits.
vBookie net amount won: 23284 (2014: +16589, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 90, TT doubles rank 100.
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Tennis Tipping board and Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute

I'd place Agassi near to Connors and Lendl. Career Slam and all that.
I always speak the truth though, and when I say it's not because of you, it's because it's not. I never lie. My mom has taught me to never lie because it's bad, that's why I'm always honest. one needs to have integrity, that's the most important human virtue imo.
underspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
country flag Fed fordawin

Fed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond repute

Lendl especially is criminally underrated.

That's because people think he has no personnality, but from what I've seen that's not true at all, he's just ice-cold. Way more charisma than the little whiny brat McEnroe!

And of course, achievements wise he's one of the most dominant players ever.

Alchimists transform iron into gold. Boriiiiiing!
Movie-makers transform dreams into reality. Yeah, whatever...
El Tio transforms Dull into a multiple GS champion! Daaaaamn!

El Tio has the keys to weather, court speed, draw making, umpires' decisions and perception of time between points, top players' fatherhood, and my libido!

This signature is in no way ironic. Please don't ever let El Tio think that, for my sake!
Fed fordawin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Good question. As a previous poster said, the passing of time has diminished their achievements somewhat. The cult of "now" means the latest player, team, actor, etc is often heralded as the "greatest ever", essentially so we all feel relevant as we begin to fear for our own mortality. We saw Federer celebrated by commentators and press alike as "the greatest ever" back in the mid 2000s when he had yet to reach double figures in majors. Now experts like McEnroe have jumped that ship and pledged their allegiance to Nadal a few years later before he's really achieved enough to warrant it.

Lendl's records are tainted somewhat by his lack of Wimbledon success, and hi inability to win more majors finals. Connors because he competed in same era as Borg, who overshadowed him in the majors.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
country flag Schumacher

Schumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond repute

I personally don't think Connors and Lendl are underrated. Those, who understand a bit the history of tennis are well aware of their achievements.

The fact Agassi was playing not long ago caused he is better remembered than the others. He won career golden Slam, which definitely helps his legacy as the universal player. Then, people may consider him as better player because of his rivalry with Sampras and the fact he was capable to beat him many times also at important events. But imo the main reason people rank him higher is his turbulent career. In the 90's he lost some years when being at his physical best when he definitely could win important titles. He came back in his 28-29 and still managed to have very successful career (like Connors or JMac). So there may be an assumption he would have been much more successful if he would have exploited his full potential.

When talking about JMac - his legacy is definitely enhanced by Borg. He may be considered as the one who stopped him, something like "Borg's nemesis", which definitely helps his resume.
Schumacher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote