Davis Cup Final 2014 to be played in indoor clay in Lille - L'equipe - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
country flag zjtennis

zjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Davis Cup Final 2014 to be played in indoor clay in Lille - L'equipe

Newsbot time!

French undecided on surface for Davis Cup final
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2014 /BY KAMAKSHI TANDON

France defeated defending Davis Cup champion Czech Republic on the red clay of Roland Garros. (AP Photo)

The French tennis federation has almost decided where to hold its Davis Cup final against Switzerland, but is unsure about the surface, according to French reports.

The likely choice is the Stade Pierre Mauroy in Lille, which has 26,000 seats. A stadium in Nice, with 10,000 seats, is also a possibility.

But the team has not yet decided whether to put the indoor tie on hard courts or clay, with both teams capable of excelling on both surfaces.

For Switzerland, Federer is a French Open champion with four finals at the clay court major, while Wawrinka's favorite surface is clay and he won the Monte Carlo Masters this year. However, Federer has multiple hard court majors and Wawrinka is the Australian Open champion.

For the French, the speed of hard courts benefits Tsonga, but he has also reached the French Open semifinals. Both Monfils and Gasquet are suited to clay but can play more effectively and aggressively when adjusting to hard courts, as shown by Monfils reaching the U.S. Open quarterfinals where he held two match points against Federer before collapsing in the fifth set.

"I do not believe the choice of surface is very important. What will make the difference is the desire of the players," said Tsonga.

The choice of stadium is expected to be announced in a week.
Salute to Treat Huey for representing the Philippines in ATP Doubles!
--------------------------------------------------
ATP Tour Calendar Week 47: Davis Cup F - The epilogue of the season as Switzerland face France in DC!
Djokovic is the new Raonic 2014? Even Slam winners play Mario!
2014 ATP Top Players (in GIF form)!
zjtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
country flag zjtennis

zjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French undecided on surface for Davis Cup final - Tennis.com

I am mostly posting this due to Tsonga saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
"I do not believe the choice of surface is very important. What will make the difference is the desire of the players,"
I don't see why the French wouldn't have the desire for the Final. I really think surface is important, in the sense that one off day could spell trouble against Switzerland. Fast indoor hardcourts could really trouble Stan while maybe Fed might be blown off the court if he defends badly again. This is going to be tricky as many variables are on sight.
Salute to Treat Huey for representing the Philippines in ATP Doubles!
--------------------------------------------------
ATP Tour Calendar Week 47: Davis Cup F - The epilogue of the season as Switzerland face France in DC!
Djokovic is the new Raonic 2014? Even Slam winners play Mario!
2014 ATP Top Players (in GIF form)!
zjtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
country flag Fearhand

Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond repute

fast hardcourt is the best option for Tsonga and a fine option for Monfils. If they go with clay they're overthinking it.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
country flag Reconditus

Reconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond reputeReconditus has a reputation beyond repute

With Wawrinka and Federer off to WTF and Tsonga, Gasquet, Monfils etc. not likely at all to make it, I would have thought that clay would have been a no brainer? Wawrinka hasn't exactly proven he is consistent on clay and clay is Federer's weaker surface as well. Tsonga and Monfils/Gasquet will have alot of time after Bercy to transition to the surface whereas the Swiss will need to transition within the week after WTF. Quite a while already, but 2012 SUI vs USA on clay indoors should serve somewhat of a reminder...

Tomic - Thiem - Kyrgios - Almagro - Goffin - Dolgopolov - Berdych - Paire - Tsonga - Nishikori
Reconditus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
country flag Hawaiigrip

Hawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiigrip has a reputation beyond repute

clay is a no brainer. Gotta offset Federer and wait for Wawrinka to selfdestruct

Del Potro ** Verdasco ** Monfils ** Dolgopolov ** Lopez ** Karlovic ** Pospisil ** Muller ** Leo Mayer ** Pierre-Hugues Herbert ** Nishioka ** Ymer

and other all time greats: Sampras, Ivanisevic, Rafter, Johansson.. list goes on..
Hawaiigrip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
Joey Tribbiani

Joey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter. If Fed is healthy, they are obviously not going to stop him.

All Stan has to do is win one point, probably against Clownfils.

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

302 weeks #1 - 6 WTFs

'The future is just a fucking concept that we use to avoid being alive today.'

'You only get one life. There's no God, no rules, except for those you accept or create for yourself. Then once it's over... it's over. Dreamless sleep forever and ever. So why not be happy while you're here?'
Joey Tribbiani is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
country flag Speed of Light

Speed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond reputeSpeed of Light has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Tribbiani View Post
Doesn't matter. If Fed is healthy, they are obviously not going to stop him.

By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda on tennis forums, one can make an extremely skilled and talented player appear to be a fluke and even make a clueless mug sound like one of the greatest players to have ever graced the sport.
Speed of Light is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
country flag BestOfTheHistori

BestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond repute

Fast Indoors. Tsonga and Monfils are statistically way better than Wawrinka on fast infoors, Wawrinka struggles with the low bounce.

Sure Its Fed's best surface but Fed and Wawrinka are way better on clay than Tsonga and Monfils. 4 of Monfil's 5 titles came in indoors. 7 of Tsonga's 11 titles came in indoors.
Davis Cup Champion - 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011
Olympic Gold Medalist - 2008
ATP Weeks at No.1 - 141

23 > 10 = /thread
BestOfTheHistori is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
country flag Boogalo

Boogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond reputeBoogalo has a reputation beyond repute

I wish they'd go for clay just for the atmosphere of the matches (longer rallies). I think only Federer would be handicapped a bit on clay, the other players are equally fine on both surfaces.
Boogalo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
country flag Fearhand

Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiigrip View Post
clay is a no brainer. Gotta offset Federer and wait for Wawrinka to selfdestruct
Clay is Waw's best surface.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
country flag Fearhand

I wonder if they're considering Gasquet after that incredible performance vs. Berdych...
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Joey Tribbiani

Joey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearhand View Post
I wonder if they're considering Gasquet after that incredible performance vs. Berdych...
If I were a French, I hope not.

We all know what Chokesquet is gonna do.. They have a better chance with La Clownf.

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

302 weeks #1 - 6 WTFs

'The future is just a fucking concept that we use to avoid being alive today.'

'You only get one life. There's no God, no rules, except for those you accept or create for yourself. Then once it's over... it's over. Dreamless sleep forever and ever. So why not be happy while you're here?'
Joey Tribbiani is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #13
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjtennis View Post
I am mostly posting this due to Tsonga saying:

I don't see why the French wouldn't have the desire for the Final. I really think surface is important, in the sense that one off day could spell trouble against Switzerland. Fast indoor hardcourts could really trouble Stan while maybe Fed might be blown off the court if he defends badly again. This is going to be tricky as many variables are on sight.
I think Tsonga is right. The article does a good job of effectively making the case for either surface based on the players' results.

If France loses, they will be criticized for not picking the "other" surface (whatever that ends up being) no matter what. It is a convenient excuse and a refuge for armchair critics. But the truth is all these players are capable of winning on either surface and the issue is being overblown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Then don't.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
country flag miura88

miura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond repute

Go for grass just to make things interesting.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
country flag Yves.
Hrvatska!

Yves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on, at least choose a city that is close to Switzerland! Although if it is held in Lille I might go...