Federer's match closing abilities - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federer's match closing abilities

IT's a problem now!

Federer could well be undefeated. I have never seen a world #1 have so many leads, match pts in his career only to choke it away(save for kafel).

Gasquet played well and credit is due to him. But when federer has mp's on his own serve, he should win it. With his serve, there is no reason why he shouldnt have closed it out regardless.

Imagine roddick having mp's on his serve, and not winning a match. Cant say i remember a match where that happened.

Or how about sampras?

I don't care how many break pts federer saves with his serve, if he gets broken whenever he serves for the match. Then his serve is not as good as roddick's or sampras'.

I like roger and this may be an over-reaction on my part. But, its a bit weird to see roger make life difficult for himself as always. And then people come back and say that federer is so mentally tough, and that he has the best serve in the game.

I don't think so.

Roger , you seemed to lose your way a bit there. How did you get it back?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I'm used to it now, you know. It's happened a few times.

But, no, seriously, I thought, you know, I played all right again, but just couldn't close it out. So of course it is worrying, you know. But as long as I could still end up winning the match, everything is all right, you know.

So I had the feeling the conditions were getting really quick in the end, you know. I had the feeling for him it was better, you know, the shorter the rallies were.

So, you know, in the third it was different again because they put water on the court. I think that was, again, better for my game. But that was just the feeling I had.

Last edited by World Beater : 04-15-2005 at 09:50 PM.
World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Federer really that mentally tough?

Imagine roddick having mp's on his serve, and not winning a match. Cant say i remember a match where that happened.

umm andy and roger's serves are hardly comparable. roddick holds serve easier than almost anybody.

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

If I could only lose two matches so far this year but the condition had to be me losing it after having match points I would take it. You are overreacting. Roger doesn't hit his serve as big has Pete or Andy. This was clay so serves get nullified most of the time.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
country flag Shy

Shy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he is pretty tough mentally. If he wasn't, he would have lose more than two matches this year.
Shy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
country flag onewoman74

onewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, stop it!! He beat Nadal In a five setter two weeks...people thought he couldn't even do that!! He got beat and the match was very close in points..He didn't just hand Gasquet the match...the better player won today. Let's leave it at that and give Gasquet his due.

I'm not going to run down Federer for not being mentally tough...yes, i think he could work on it, but everyone can. I'm not writing him off or questioning his mental abilities.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
country flag MissMoJo

MissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater
....and this may be an over-reaction on my part.
This the only part of your post i agree with. Calm down already. Furthermore, after the Miami Final, he's congradulated for his mental fortitude and now, after a close loss, he's labeled mentally flaky

Last edited by MissMoJo : 04-15-2005 at 05:56 PM.
MissMoJo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

Federer is on his way to burnout. Him playing Monte-Carlo was stupid, stupid choice. I hope this loss will make him rethink his approach and will only play tournaments which the player of his status
should play.
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

The sky is crumbling down because Jesus Fed lost a match.
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #9

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
If I could only lose two matches so far this year but the condition had to be me losing it after having match points I would take it. You are overreacting. Roger doesn't hit his serve as big has Pete or Andy. This was clay so serves get nullified most of the time.
Ok, fine.

But, some on this board and many feel that federer has a better serve than roddick. Clearly you are not one of them.

i am not talking about federer's season. Its been incredible. But to me, he seems to squander so many chances in his matches. Even in the ones that he has won.

I wouldnt go so far, as to say serves get nullified on clay. Plus this is something abt roger on all surfaces, not just clay
Old 04-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #10

I dont care abt the loss...its how he lost!
Old 04-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #11
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater
Ok, fine.

But, some on this board and many feel that federer has a better serve than roddick. Clearly you are not one of them.
Who feels that? Names please?
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
country flag onewoman74

onewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a few people on this board need to take a chill pill. The man lost match #2 of the year...THAT'S RIGHT I SAID #2!!!!!! Get over it!!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #13
country flag Pea

Pea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond repute

Roger has a mental block against younger talented players for some reason.
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #14
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Roger is not the only number one to lose a match badly and closely. Give him credit for fighting and keeping it so so close. Roger needs a break and really did well for not having much time to train on clay. I expect a good showing at Rome and Hamburg when he comes back from two week break. You can't judge mental toughness by the result only by how much you keep trying out there. Roger just couldn't do it today and really he was very lucky to be in that breaker to begin with.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:59 PM   #15
country flag Dirk

Pea he has beaten plenty of younger players that nobody knows and talks about. Everyone just seems to focus on Nadal lost and Richard one and the one to Thomas. Roger has had a great year so far this year and doesn't need to be ashamed of this loss.