Mens Tennis Forums banner

Marat vs. Roger vs. Marat vs. Roger

762 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  mer 
#1 ·
Each time Marat or Roger speaks to the press, the other's name comes up. This is, of course, due to Roger only falling to one man this year --Marat. Here's what each had to say about the other as mentioned during the MC tournament. Kinda fun.

Q. You're the only one who beat Federer this year. Do you think you would rather play him on hard court or on clay? I mean, what is the most convenient surface to play against Federer for your type of game?

MARAT SAFIN: I mean, we played twice also on clay, but they were not my greatest matches. One time was a long time ago in 2001 in Rome . Basically, I had to win, and I lost 7‑6 in the third. He played great tennis in Hamburg final, and I didn't really ‑‑ I couldn't do anything, I didn't feel comfortable on the court.

But, you know, doesn't really matter because he plays great on all surfaces, as well as me. Just different game, a little bit different. But not much different than hard.

Q. But if you had to pick the surface, you say, "I want to play Federer ," where would you play him?

MARAT SAFIN: I prefer on clay.

Q. If you have to play Safin on clay, is it for you worse than to play him on cement? Because he said he would rather play you on clay?

ROGER FEDERER: I would like to play him on clay also, but I prefer that (smiling). I beat him on clay, two occasions.

Q. Hamburg and Rome ?

ROGER FEDERER: And Copa Davis , so three, thank you (smiling).

I don't think he remembers. Remember him, okay (smiling).

Q. The other day you said that you would rather play Federer on clay than on any other surface. Then Federer came, I told him what you just said. He said remind Marat that I beat him three times on clay: In Rome , in Davis Cup , and somewhere else.

MARAT SAFIN: No, but still Rome , it was ‑‑ I had my match ‑‑ my match was mine, I was set and a break. He was lucky to win it.

He played well in Hamburg . He played well in Davis Cup . Why not?

Of course he is full of confidence. He can ‑‑ he is allowed to say whatever he wants (smiling).

Q. Gasquet was saying you're one of his idols and it will be hard to concentrate. Do you remember a similar situation when you were maybe around his age and were going to play one of your idols?

ROGER FEDERER: I remember a couple years ago he said Safin was his idol so (laughing)...

Q. Not anymore.

ROGER FEDERER: Not anymore, I guess, yeah (smiling).

See less See more
#3 ·
NATAS81 said:
He said remind Marat that I beat him three times on clay: In Rome , in Davis Cup , and somewhere else.

:haha: Intimidator

Don't you just love Federer's sense of humor :rolls: :lol:

#4 ·
Tennis Fool said:
Q. Gasquet was saying you're one of his idols and it will be hard to concentrate. Do you remember a similar situation when you were maybe around his age and were going to play one of your idols?

ROGER FEDERER: I remember a couple years ago he said Safin was his idol so (laughing)...

Q. Not anymore.

Bitchy, bitchy!!;)

#7 ·
Haha, this is great stuff. It begins to sound like the beginning of a great rivalry...

#10 ·
Tennis Fool said:

Q. Not anymore.

:haha: roger is so funny and cute. everytime that i read his interviews he makes me laugh, he's got a great sense of humor. :lol:

#11 ·
Q. After Melbourne , everybody was expecting you to be able to challenge Roger Federer for the No. 1 spot. How frustrating is it for you not being there?

MARAT SAFIN: I'm not frustrated at all ‑ at all. I can be upset with myself for many other reasons than to challenge Federer .

I don't really ‑‑ I don't really ‑‑ it's not my goal to challenge anybody. I'm trying to be as happy as I can, try to play as better as I can, try to be as consistent as I can. Whatever, if it will help me, and in a way I'm going to be able to compete with him for No. 1, that is great. But if I am not able to do that, I'm also happy with that.

Like I said, it's not my first year, it's not my second year on the tour. I've been playing for seven years. I already achieved quite a lot. So to be upset because I'm not challenging Federer , it's just... it's stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.