Anyone here play USTA Leagues? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
country flag ugotlobbed

ugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone here play USTA Leagues?

Well i need help to assess how good 4.0 and 4.5 ntrp players are, could someone whos played USTA leagues help me out. Thanks
I am looking foward to playing in the Texas Section.
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
country flag Seleshfan
Got Premium? I do.

Seleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone here play USTA Leagues?

Hi Ugotlobbed. I play USTA 4.0 and let me tell you, there are sandbaggers galore!!! You have guys serving 100+ an hour consistently, volleying like crazy. I'm a solid 4.0, but I got my ass whooped 6-0, 6-1, when I played the 4.0 league. Then this other time, I lost to this friggin lefty, who serve kept jumping away from me. The competition is good. I would say, from my experience, you really should have a solid serve to be able to compete, or a heck of a return game. I play in California though. Californians do everything better than Texans.
Seleshfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
shaoyu

shaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the USTA NTRP rating guideline
http://www.usta.com/leagues/custom.s...tompageid=1655

You are fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but are not comfortable with all strokes and lack execution when trying for directional control, depth, or power. Your most common doubles formation is one-up, one-back.

You have achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but need to develop depth and variety. You exhibit more aggressive net play, have improved court coverage and are developing teamwork in doubles.

You have dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate-paced shots. You can use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success and occasionally force errors when serving. Rallies may be lost due to impatience. Teamwork in doubles is evident.

You have developed your use of power and spin and can handle pace. You have sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and attempt to vary game plan according to your opponents. You can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve. You tend to overhit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.

You have good shot anticipation and frequently have an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured. You can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls and can put away volleys. You can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys, overhead smashes, and have good depth and spin on most second serves.

You have mastered power and/or consistency as a major weapon. You can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hit dependable shots in a stress situation.

6.0 to 7.0
You have had intensive training for national tournament competition at the junior and collegiate levels and have obtained a sectional and/or national ranking.

You are a world-class player.
shaoyu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
country flag hitchhiker

hitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond repute

Those rating definitions are full of shit.

Essentially, it's this.

1.0 - You stink. Your grabbing the wrong end of the racquet and you
think the green fuzz on the ball has something to do with velcro.

1.5 - Your still stink, but you can tie your own tennis shoes and hit a
ball you have got in your hand towards one of the cardinal points
without hitting yourself in the leg.

2.0 - You have taken a few lessons, and the odour is fading. Your strokes
begin to look less like a grandmother waving a flyswatter at a moth
and more like you are actually trying to accomplish something.

2.5 - This is when you start going to the club round robins, and
discover that despite your previous misconceptions, you still stink.
You are doing alright if you are fed the ball, but everyone else is
really just being nice to you until they can win the point without
embarrasing you.

3.0 - Same as 2.5, but with more topspin.

3.5 - The light is dawning. Your feet begin to move more efficiently.
They do not remain glued to the baseline, but begin to move
around the court, even up to the net on those occasions that you
feel like walking back to the fence to pick up the ball that passed
you.

4.0 - Your discovery of how to hit a serve and overhead allows you
to be one of the people politely destroying 2.5 players on
round robin night.

4.5 - The ball goes where you will it to go, with authoritative pace
and spin. You are king. You are undefeated on Round Robin night,
and wish test your mettle with a greater challenge. You ask
to play a match with your club's top players and after getting
your ass whupped that, in fact, you stink. "But", the Div 1 team
says magnanimously, "You are getting better."

5.0 - Around now, pretty much everyone else at your club stinks.
League play is the only way to get a decent match, and you're
starting to think pretty well of yourself.

5.5 - You crush some 5.0 punk in a league match, and tell him
he stinks.

6.0 - Tennis scholarship. You go to Stanford, play for the university
team, and have some sixteen year old prodigy bagels you in
a practice set and tells you you stink.

6.5 - You are offered a berth in a local ATP qualifier, and lose out
in the pre-draw round robin stage. One of the people in the
audience played tennis with you back in round robin, and he
tells you that you looked pretty good out there, but your
backhand still stinks.

7.0 - The pro level. If you are Tim Henman, your forehand stinks worse than Donald Youngs. You got to this level by yelling at referees, match fixing or taking drugs.

You scream vamos after every point, you have an irritating grunt, put more spin on the ball then anyone else and play in a outfit that superman would be proud of.

Your #1 in the world, you cant seem to figure out why you beat everyone else so easily but you love watching yourself play. You can take weeks off yet come back and beat the opposition while being more concerned about your hairstyle, you have a girlfriend that seems to put on 30 pounds every tournament and you sure hope IMG will make tennis more exciting because at the moment even when you play badly the opponents hand you the match and your wondering if tennis is as fake as the WWE.

You are a Russian drama queen,undisciplined and aren't willing to work hard, at 25 you still cant seem to figure out drinking and partying wont help you win tennis matches. Your a organiser's nightmare as they are not quite sure whether they are paying the appearance fee to one of the best players in the world or someone who is a level below Oscar Hernandez. You go through coaches, like most people go through underwear,but at least you can have a shot of vodka before sleep every night.

Your playing with a gut and it would be great if you could just string together three weeks of consistent tennis. You are good at Davis Cup but thats where it ends. You are under constant pressure as you are the only Argentine not to be busted for drugs but you are being asked for pee samples 3 times a day as a result and maybe that is affecting your tennis.

You have been pro for so long that you as old as most of the current players parents. You have been bold,long haired and everything in between. You walk around the court like you dumped one in your pants and you think Federer is annoying as he just wont let you win one more slam.

You have sued the atp, you are travelling with a pregnant wife and are playing each week with the ultimate goal of "getting to federer". You are being criticised by the gays, the black-Americans, and every minority organisation inthe world. You are so focused on tennis you think the CMONS sound cool.

You get a little confused when your serve keeps being returned, and the pressure of being the next US big hope is getting to you. Your backhand sucks but is a stroke of beauty compared to your volley, not only do you lose matches but you also lost your mojo and you cant quite figure out why you got rid of Gilbert. You have also ruined a promising pie business.
You think Federer sucks but you will keep throwing the kitchen sink at him.

You serve out of a tree, dont do anything else, play 1029838485 tiebreaks a year and you're boring to watch. John McEnroe and Bud Collins are saying inane things about you on international television. And people on menstennisforums are still debating whether or not you stink.
hitchhiker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Luv ya, hitch.

But I think seleshfan is on the money -- you'd better have a pretty darn good serve (and something to back it up!) and you'll find different things in different parts of the country. Personally, I've found metro areas are usually a bit more competitive at the same rating than rural areas. That's not a knock on either group, just an observation. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhiker

Essentially, it's this.

embarrasing you.

you.

round robin night.

he stinks.

backhand still stinks.

7.0 - The pro level. If you are Tim Henman, your forehand stinks worse than Donald Youngs. You got to this level by yelling at referees, match fixing or taking drugs.

You scream vamos after every point, you have an irritating grunt, put more spin on the ball then anyone else and play in a outfit that superman would be proud of.

Your #1 in the world, you cant seem to figure out why you beat everyone else so easily but you love watching yourself play. You can take weeks off yet come back and beat the opposition while being more concerned about your hairstyle, you have a girlfriend that seems to put on 30 pounds every tournament and you sure hope IMG will make tennis more exciting because at the moment even when you play badly the opponents hand you the match and your wondering if tennis is as fake as the WWE.

You are a Russian drama queen,undisciplined and aren't willing to work hard, at 25 you still cant seem to figure out drinking and partying wont help you win tennis matches. Your a organiser's nightmare as they are not quite sure whether they are paying the appearance fee to one of the best players in the world or someone who is a level below Oscar Hernandez. You go through coaches, like most people go through underwear,but at least you can have a shot of vodka before sleep every night.

Your playing with a gut and it would be great if you could just string together three weeks of consistent tennis. You are good at Davis Cup but thats where it ends. You are under constant pressure as you are the only Argentine not to be busted for drugs but you are being asked for pee samples 3 times a day as a result and maybe that is affecting your tennis.

You have been pro for so long that you as old as most of the current players parents. You have been bold,long haired and everything in between. You walk around the court like you dumped one in your pants and you think Federer is annoying as he just wont let you win one more slam.

You have sued the atp, you are travelling with a pregnant wife and are playing each week with the ultimate goal of "getting to federer". You are being criticised by the gays, the black-Americans, and every minority organisation inthe world. You are so focused on tennis you think the CMONS sound cool.

You get a little confused when your serve keeps being returned, and the pressure of being the next US big hope is getting to you. Your backhand sucks but is a stroke of beauty compared to your volley, not only do you lose matches but you also lost your mojo and you cant quite figure out why you got rid of Gilbert. You have also ruined a promising pie business.

You serve out of a tree, dont do anything else, play 1029838485 tiebreaks a year and you're boring to watch. John McEnroe and Bud Collins are saying inane things about you on international television. And people on menstennisforums are still debating whether or not you stink.

OMFG!!!!!!!!! This one takes the cake!
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Hitch that is one of the funniest posts i have read on here.
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #8
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Essentially, it's this.

embarrasing you.

you.

round robin night.

he stinks.

backhand still stinks.

Post of the year.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

HH - OMFG!

How long did it take you to air your grievances there! Guess you'll need a couple of days to recover
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You serve out of a tree, dont do anything else, play 1029838485 tiebreaks a year and you're boring to watch.

Absolutely Hilarious.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
country flag Whistleway

Whistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. great stuff. (I know, uttterly useless post. sorry).
Whistleway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
country flag Jennay

Jennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Essentially, it's this.

According to your definitions, I would be a 5.5-6.0 player.
Jennay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:54 PM   #13
K-Dog

K-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dog has a reputation beyond repute

What if I don't get about the rating from the USTA is that if you win, who cares how u do it. Sometimes I just hit solidly up the middle and struggle with direction change at times. I think I'm a 4.0-4.5 player in Wisconsin. When I'm confident, I go for my shots and open up, but I prefer to just play solidly until I have to create shots.

In my drill group, amoung the best guys, I am the worst volleyer, but i always win at anything else. I know I'm better than the other guys in the strongest drill group in the club, so I don't care if I can't volley.
K-Dog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:06 AM   #14
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Essentially, it's this.

embarrasing you.

you.

round robin night.

he stinks.

backhand still stinks.

Totally, post of the year.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #15
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

Great post HH!

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote