The Simpsons Thread - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Simpsons Thread

It has always amazed me how popular this programme is. Even when I was a child, it bored me to tears and I have never been able to watch a full episode.

I don't know how adults can watch this programme.

So to say it is "the greatest programme ever made" is only your opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
country flag Droog

Droog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It has always amazed me how popular this programme is. Even when I was a child, it bored me to tears and I have never been able to watch a full episode.

Yes, the fact that I wrote it was the indicator to it being my opinion, but having said that it isn't mine alone. What does being adult have to do with it? Because it's animated?
to perform well beyond usual levels and achieve legendary status in the process

Federer, Murray, Dimitrov, Tsonga
Monfils, Goffin
Djokovic, Gasquet, Dolgopolov, Tomic, Haas
Droog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

The Simspons are an icon of television history, no doubt. They inspired countless other series (not just obvious ones like Family Guy), they filtered into popular culture and they are the most quoted show of all-time.

The golden years (seasons 3-9) stand up very well to pretty much any other series ever made, but the quality is a constant all accross the show. I'll post later with some favorite quotes and clips, just for starters though 'I call this one Bitey'
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #19
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really think they are the best show ever, in fact I consider Family Guy a better show (to name one that has a similar style), but it is undoubtedly very iconic.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

Simpsons has nice stories, but when it comes to jokes, I prefer Family Guy.

Speaking of animated series, am I the only one who thinks South Park is pretty stupid.
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
Peak Kei can beat a good Nole. The gap between their best is very small.

Candidate for a post of the year. Signature material.
redshift36188 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
I don't really think they are the best show ever, in fact I consider Family Guy a better show (to name one that has a similar style), but it is undoubtedly very iconic.
Family Guy is basically a copy of the Simpsons formula in an (unsuccessful) attempt to copy its success. Prime vs prime, Simpsons crush Family Guy easily.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
country flag Htom Sirveaux

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Humor is hugely subjective and there's not much chance of convincing someone that something is funny if it's simply not their preferred brand of comedy. To each their own.

But as for adults enjoying it, the show was written in its best years by a bunch of atheist Ivy League types. Their humor included both characterization-dependent stuff, the utterly absurd (much of this thanks to the animation medium) and a lot of social commentary that is massively disdainful of middle America. It's this mastery of multiple comedy forms that kept the show fresh for me (an adult for many of the years I've enjoyed it) for so long.

They eventually lost good characterization and intelligent social commentary; all that remained was a 'zaniness' that was a shadow of what they'd previously been capable of. They also seamlessly integrated a ton of cultural references that geeks would appreciate at their peak; now these references frequently are the story and they're also obvious references these days rather than the classic and/or obscure stuff they previously used. Needless to say, the show has been shit for years now and I myself haven't watched a full new episode in a very long time.
Htom Sirveaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #23

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute

One of my favorite throwaway gags. The Germans are always good for a cheap laugh:

Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htom Sirveaux View Post
One of my favorite throwaway gags. The Germans are always good for a cheap laugh:

motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #25

I'm twisted in that I find terrible illness very funny (when it's played for laughs; I'm usually not laughing during hospital dramas or at real life sick people). I would have preferred linking to Steve Sax's radiation poisoning, but this will have to do. The animation and line read really sell it:

Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #26
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

is this the episode in which Homer is sent back to univeristy? that was one of the best, there was a similar one in Futurama as well where Bender was in the university campus as Fry decided to go back to university.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
country flag Droog

Droog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htom Sirveaux View Post
I'm twisted in that I find terrible illness very funny (when it's played for laughs; I'm usually not laughing during hospital dramas or at real life sick people). I would have preferred linking to Steve Sax's radiation poisoning, but this will have to do. The animation and line read really sell it:

There was something very magical about the way the early seasons were animated.

Monfils, Goffin
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #28
country flag Droog

Monfils, Goffin
Old 09-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post

is this the episode in which Homer is sent back to univeristy? that was one of the best, there was a similar one in Futurama as well where Bender was in the university campus as Fry decided to go back to university.
Yep, that's from Homer Goes to College. Like all of Conan's scripts, it's a classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droog View Post
I was just about to post that. Could only have been funnier if Homer had smashed away the rear window like in the film.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #30
country flag centralviva

centralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond reputecentralviva has a reputation beyond repute

I love both shows but The Simpsons jokes are more intelligent, Family Guy has more toilet humor and shock value