Gael Monfils interview - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-11-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
country flag RickDaStick

RickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gael Monfils interview

R. NADAL /G. Monfils

6‑3, 6‑2

An interview with:

GAEL MONFILS

(Through Translation)

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What happened today seemed logical to you?

GAEL MONFILS: I still believe the score is a bit tough on me. I had my chances, but I didn't convert them.

Q. For example, the breakpoint at 3‑All?

GAEL MONFILS: I had two, but mainly during the rallies I was getting too excited. My dropshots were not very good.

However, I played good tennis. He played the important points better than I did. I was not far behind.

Q. Precisely, didn't you spend too much energy during the first six games?

GAEL MONFILS: No, usually I start off pretty bad. So if I'm able to attack from the start, it's even better. But what happened is I was too excited, I rushed too much, my dropshots were just average.

Q. Were you impressed by his topspin and by the way he moves?

GAEL MONFILS: He does good topspins, he runs well, but I wasn't impressed.

Q. Is it better to play him on clay or on other surfaces?

GAEL MONFILS: It's everywhere the same.

Q. Do you believe you had the right shots to bother him?

GAEL MONFILS: Yes, I even could have won.

Q. Can you draw some lessons from this match for the French Open ?

GAEL MONFILS: Yes. For a first round, I played a solid match. I hadn't played on clay for one year. To tell you the truth, before the season, I was a bit afraid because I got injured last year.

Q. Were you bothered by the light?

GAEL MONFILS: I wasn't seeing very well. That's why I asked them to put the lights on.

Q. When did you start playing again on clay?

GAEL MONFILS: About a week ago.

Q. During that match, did you learn that against a player like Nadal you can enjoy yourself?

GAEL MONFILS: Yes, but in better conditions.

Q. At the end it started raining. Did you believe that you would have a chance to recuperate?

GAEL MONFILS: Only rats think that.

Q. What is your program going to be from now on?

GAEL MONFILS: I have to discuss it. I'm going to Barcelona to play the quallies.

Q. You're not going to do physical training?

GAEL MONFILS: I have to discuss it. I'm playing well. Maybe I should play qualifications. Everything will depend on what is going to happen this week and in doubles.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...
RickDaStick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gael Monfils interview

I get the impression he is kind of trying to take something away from Nadal's win. I love Monfils as a player, but he comes across cocky in this interview to me. It could be lost in translation though, who knows
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

The kid must've been so disappointed. And it's not like he had no chance. I wouldn't take the tone of this interview too seriously.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute

lol. It's nice to see someone not being so politically correct and crap, but it sounds pretty arrogant as well.
jole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
martinatreue

martinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond repute

Monfils is an arrogant prick.
martinatreue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

To me he certainly didn't look like he had the shots to win the match, but the conditions probably played their part. The serving difference aside, from the baseline they essentially had the same style but Nadal did it better. And I think the "not impressed" line is just professional speak, he knows enough about the quality of Nadal and his game that he wasn't surprised by what he saw. Mind you, I could be wrong and there's some prodigy envy going on, who can say? I found the "Only rats think that" quote far funnier; if players who pray for rain delays are rats, then some of the greatest players in the history of the game have rodent-like qualities...

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute

OK look. Why was that part highlighted?

The kid has many intersting things to say.

I wouldn't be surprised if he broke the top 50 by year's end.

The upside is tremendous. Can we get off his back for a minute?

Slandering his potential is liable to harm his focus on the game.

Do not put label on a kid so young, and so promising.

He has a ton of time to correct his shortcomings, and blossom into a powerhouse.

With a frame he has, and his agressive passion for the game, I am looking forward to seeing this kid bring great energy to tennis that is lacking with the Federer's as he bullies his way up the charts!!!

ALLEZ GAEL!!! HENRY THE IX!!! KING OF FRANCE!
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think there's more than enough energy in the game right now, Nadal has enough of it to power the entire tour. We need more players like Mayer, emotional zombies who play varied and unorthodox tennis. I know that the heavy clay in this match wasn't conducive to entertaining tennis, but there's only so many times you can watch someone throw themselves bodily into shots that will probably do them physical harm in the long-term and end up coming back with interest 9 times out of 10.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a new breed to superstars for sure. Nadal and Monfils are both going to make hay for years to come on the ATP!

VAMOS RAFAEL!! THE FRANCHISE!!!

ALLEZ GAEL!! KING OF FRANCE AND CROSSCOURTANTS! (Cross court passing shots!!!)
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 PM   #10
country flag Sjengster

I'm looking forward to it already.

*but will avoid sounding too bitter, given a) Federer's current success on tour, and b) the less than varied playing style of the man in my avatar*

Old 04-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #11
country flag vincayou

vincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond repute

I found the rats line funny. I think that he doesn't like to lose at all and he's not trying to be politically correct. We know that Nadal's topspin are great, we don't need to read that in every player's interview.
vincayou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
country flag garylanders

garylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond reputegarylanders has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=NATAS81]

The kid has many intersting things to say.

QUOTE]

Like what ?
garylanders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #13
country flag Neumann

Neumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with vincayou. He was frank and I wasn't particularly impressed with Nadal's game (although he did nice). And the rats comment is hilarious ha, ha!

BTW Gael played very, very well. Good serve (low percentage), huge FH and pretty fine BH while he wasn't tired (ok, I'll have to mention his AWFUL volleys, but he WILL improve that. He has to ). His fitness and excitement didn't do him a favor though, but he'll fix that too. So, all in all, Go Gael and finish, let's say, top 40 this year!!!

PS Vamos Rafa, get Top10 SOON !!!
Neumann is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #14
country flag JustmeUK

JustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's accurate enough from Monfils. I don't think he's trying to be arrogant when he says he's not impressed. He wasn't blown on the court by Nadal and he had some chances for sure. What it did show was gulf in experience there is in coping with key points between the two but that's to be expected given that Nadal has been playing on the ATP tour for longer and has already won 3 ATP events and pushed Federer. You'd expect him to be better on the big points. Gael has shown that he's got a huge forehand but also how raw he is today. Give him time. I think he'll come good.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not a Rafa hater. I am, however, a RAFATARD hater and therefore take endless delight in each Rafa loss as it allows me to sock it hard to his tards. Do try and understand the difference (TARDS)! Don't get me started on Choke-ovic though. Him I do despise. And his TARDS are the lowest of the low .
JustmeUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #15
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think he has a lot of potential as a player. I hope he has a good coach. I watched him play against Nadal. Nadal was by far better, and when he broke Nadal, I'd say, Nadal handed the point to him via errors.

However, Monfils lacked structure to his game. His serve was the best part of his game. So I hope he has a good coach, because he still has a very long way to go. As for this interview.........rack it up to immaturity.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!

Last edited by mangoes : 04-11-2005 at 09:41 PM.
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote