James at River Oaks - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-09-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Cool James at River Oaks

James has won this title once before and I'm really hoping he can win it again this year. Haas will be a tough customer. I wish I could see this match.

Blake is making a comeback
Injury-plagued American will meet Haas in semifinals

By DALE ROBERTSON
Houston Chronicle
April 9, 2005

James Blake looks at Tommy Haas and immediately feels better about his chances of becoming the player he still believes he can be, a player capable of beating anybody anywhere on any surface.

Haas, once the No. 2 player in the world, has come back from two shoulder operations, the first for full rotator-cuff surgery. Blake, once the No. 22 player in the world, is trying to come back from a broken neck, a broken heart and a broken face, all incurred in 2004. The kind of year, he says, "I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy."

So, for a number of reasons, he is delighted to have the opportunity to take Haas' measure in the River Oaks International semifinals. They've only played once before, when Blake was ascendant and Haas was despondent, contemplating the end of his career.

The right perspective

Blake won easily, a script the unseeded 25-year-old American says he's unlikely to reprise today. But that won't matter.

"I've learned there are worse things than losing tennis matches," he said.

Blake is playing tennis matches again, and he's playing them pretty well, too, as Hugo Armando will attest. Blake took out Armando, the tournament's defending co-champion, with surprising ease 6-4, 6-2. Earlier, the top-seeded Haas had eliminated Mike Russell 6-3, 6-3.

Russell bears scars of his own. He had surgery on both knees in October. And another semifinalist, No. 8 Dmitry Tursunov, who ousted 18-year-old Phillip Simmonds 6-2, 2-6, 6-1, has been on the court just once in 2005 as he continues rehabbing from a broken vertebrae in the lower back suffered July 4.

Ginepri vs. Ryderstedt

Of River Oaks' final four, only the No. 5 seed, Robby Ginepri, hasn't had to cope with any serious medical emergencies of late, although he admits he did endure a troubling period of brain-dead tennis last year. He also had early relapses, but his opponent, 20-year-old Michael Ryderstedt succumbed with a bare minimum of resistance 6-1, 6-3, never looking like the player who had upset the second-seed, Jiri Novak.

Blake's travails began in Rome May 6, when he collided with a net post during a practice hit and cracked a vertebrae in his spine. Even that proved fortunate because doctors told him had he struck his head as fast as he was moving, he'd likely be in a wheel chair today.

But just as he was feeling better, a different kind of trauma felled him.

His father, Tom, died of cancer. The stress of that ordeal, on top of the injury, apparently made him vulnerable to a disease called zoster, which left him dizzy with blurred vision and half of his face paralyzed.

"I could barely hit a ball," he said. "But I was so bored that I decided to play a tournament and that cost me my protected ranking, as I knew it would. I didn't care."

The ATP requires a full six-month layoff. His entering the Delray Beach, Fla., event explains why he's currently 188th in the world.

"I don't mind trying to earn it again," Blake said of the lengthy climb ahead. "If I don't get back, then I won't deserve to get back."

Haas loves Houston

Haas, 27 and ranked 16th, is much further along — but he had further to go, having missed most of two years while doctors tried to successfully repair his shoulder. Last April in Houston, he announced his return to good health by whipping Andy Roddick in the U.S. Clay Courts finals at Westside Tennis Club.

"There haven't been any jolts of pain since that scared me," Haas said after dispatching Russell. "Believe me, I know what to look for."
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: James at River Oaks

James WON!

Blake defeats Haas 3-6,6-3,6-4

Yea it's only an exhibition tourney, but he's had some solid matches here, and it's gotta be good for his confidence to beat someone like Tommy, esp. coming down from a set down. I really hope he can take this momentum into real tourneys and pick up his ranking to where he belongs.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:40 AM   #3
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Wow James beat Tommy that's incredible. Well done, James Now go on and win this title.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 04-10-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute

YAY JAMES!!!

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:05 AM   #5
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Well done James!!!

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 04:50 AM   #6
country flag ataptc

ataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond repute

awesome job
ataptc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
Last dance, Andy

Tursunov, Blake in final
Russian survives last-game duel to defeat Ginepri

By DALE ROBERTSON
Houston Chronicle
April 10, 2005

Sometimes, you just want it too badly. Saturday, Dmitry Tursunov definitely wanted it too badly.

But, after a tortuous progression of blown opportunities in what was surely one of the most remarkable games on River Oaks' nearly 80-year-old Stadium Court, Tursunov survived. After seven squandered match points, he won the eighth to reach the River Oaks International final against James Blake.

The 22-year-old Russian who feels like an American because he has lived in California since he was 12 rallied from an early deficit to defeat 22-year-old American Robby Ginepri 6-4, 7-5, after Blake had come from a set down to oust top-seeded Tommy Haas 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

"We're both hungry," Tursunov said of today's showdown against Blake. "Neither of us has played that much."

In Blake, the eighth-seeded Tursunov draws his fourth opponent in five days after having just one match in seven months. He was being laid low by a broken vertebra in his lower back suffered July 4, the day after he reached a career-best No. 63 in the world.

Blake, in turn, was out of commission for most of the final seven months of 2004 after first suffering a broken vertebra in his neck when he collided with a net post.

Playing on and on

Although River Oaks offers no ranking points — and both of them could use a few because they've fallen out of the top 100 — the court time is invaluable.

"Robby probably had more confidence going in, and it showed," Tursunov said. "We'd practiced early in the week, and he beat me pretty solidly in a couple sets. But I settled down and got into a pretty good rhythm, at least until the last game."

The fifth-seeded Ginepri only smacked one winner to stay in the fight. The other reprieves were the result of Tursunov miscues and an incorrect overrule by chair umpire Gail Gregory, who gave Ginepri one of the four break points he was unable to convert in the marathon 28-point game, which was at deuce 11 times.

Tursunov responded to Gregory's "odd decision" by bashing a service winner to Ginepri's backhand. But three more match points would be squandered with bad errors.

"Dmitry struck the ball well today and kept me on the defensive a lot more than I would have liked," Ginepri said. "I couldn't get back in the rallies to attack him."

After dropping the first three games, Tursunov won six of the next seven and was seemingly in control when he broke for a 3-2 second-set lead. Ginepri answered in kind, but Tursunov dominated the rest of the match, getting the crucial break in what became the next-to-last game with a grueling 18-stroke rally ending when Ginepri netted a forehand down the line.

As for Blake, no matter how depressed he felt when he couldn't play matches last year, he refused to mope. Instead, he made good use of his down time, relentlessly working on his serve and spending hours tweaking his drop shot. Straight away, Haas felt the full effects of Blake's self-improvement efforts. Noting Haas' position well behind the baseline, Blake won the first point of their semifinal with a perfect drop shot.

And he finished his victory over the 27-year-old German by serving a love game to give himself a chance to win the International for the second time in three years. He beat Wayne Ferreira in the 2003 final.

Haas atones in doubles

Ferreira returned despite having retired from the ATP Tour, and he joined forces with Jeff Tarango to reach the doubles final. But Haas and Hugo Armando were too strong en route to a 6-4, 6-4 victory.

"I was pretty pleased for the first set and a half, but then I played a few loose points in the second set," Haas said of his loss to Blake. "When he came up with some good shots to break me, it kind of took a toll mentally."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 04-10-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60
Hey all James is looking for an assistant to help him on the tour. Anyone game? What a question huh?
Uh, you know that was an April Fool's joke, right?

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 04-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
country flag Deboogle!.

LOL the email address was real, and I believe that Chris (the webmaster of James's site) even posted some of the replies.... maybe yours was posted

Old 04-10-2005, 11:33 PM   #10
country flag Deboogle!.

James wins River Oaks!!!

Please carry the momentum and confidence to a REAL tournament, thanks

Old 04-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #11
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute

YAY JAMES!!!!
i wanted him to win that match against carlos so badly, and he was so close.

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #12
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats James!!!

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:02 AM   #13
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
James wins River Oaks!!!

Please carry the momentum and confidence to a REAL tournament, thanks
what is River Oaks? (i am truly asking). never heard of it before. glad he won it anyway -- he needs every bit of his old self-confidence.

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:17 AM   #14
country flag Deboogle!.

It's a tournament-esque exhibition held in houston on red clay. It's rather old, around 70 years. They have a ton of prize money ($300,000 I believe) but it's never been an ATP tourney. Considering the singles draw is only 24 and the doubles is 16, it's really basically as much prize money as an IS tourney and I think the players treat it as pretty serious competition like Kooyong or whatever. So that's why I'm hoping these good wins will really help James's confidence, even if it's only an exho

http://www.riveroaksinternational.com

According to James's quasi-official site, the score was 6-2 6-3

Old 04-11-2005, 05:19 AM   #15
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute

awesome. thanks for the info. i'm sure he's glad for the money. i'll check out the site tomorrow. now i'm off to bed

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote