Does Rogi run too much to ever surpass Pete's 14 slams ? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-07-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
country flag TheMightyFed

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute
Question Does Rogi run too much to ever surpass Pete's 14 slams ?

Don't you think that, like Borg's, Fed game is too much based on his footwork to ever hope to surpass the gigantic record of Sampras ?
Borg felt he couldn't keep his quickness and fitness and decided to stop at 26. When he came back later, he was weaponless over 30.
On the contrary, Pete could rely on his serve and volley mainly, and win easy points on fast surfaces, beyond 29. Over-ten-slams winners are all serve and volleyers except Borg, who had such a concentrated career, that he consumed himself a bit, but he had no choice with his game style. I think Pete was the prototype of the "over-the-years-slam-winner", his game style being back by his consistency and racquet-do-the-talking personnality.
Roger is doing much more rallies and time could take its toll on him.
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
country flag rwn

rwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Rogi run too much to ever surpass Pete's 14 slams ?

Uhm.... look at Agassi. He isn't a serve and volley player. And he's still competing at a high level at the age of 35. All that running didn't hurt him
rwn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
country flag makro120

makro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Borg didn't stop because he felt weaponless, I just think he was tired of tennis or something. Also Borg played so many matches when he was 17 and won titles when he was very young, I think Federer began winning when he was mature enought to handle beeing a star and also didn't have to play so many matches when he was young. I think Federer will have a long career, almost like Agassi. I am an optimist you may say, but I feel Federer loves tennis too much to stop playing, I think he has even more weapons than Sampras even when he becomes older and slower. For examplke he could change much of his style so he becomes more aggresive from the baseline and his serve and volley could become better.
Nadal winner: RG 07 Monfils winner: USopen 10
Guga winner: RG 2010
Roddick and Hewitt together winner of: 3 sidney, 4 Adelaide, 3 washington, 3 san jose, 3 indianapolis, 2 houston, 2 memphis, 5 queens and one master series title (where Safin, Agassi, Federer and Nadal happens to all be injured).
makro120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #4

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwn
Uhm.... look at Agassi. He isn't a serve and volley player. And he's still competing at a high level at the age of 35. All that running didn't hurt him
I know but if you observe him he doesn't run too much, especially since a few years, he almost walks, his placement is perfect...
And he won't win more than 10 slams unfortunately, unless a virus present in Houston last November starts to kill the players that were there...
Old 04-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
country flag rwn

rwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhubert
I know but if you observe him he doesn't run too much, especially since a few years, he almost walks, his placement is perfect...
And he won't win more than 10 slams unfortunately, unless a virus present in Houston last November starts to kill the players that were there...
Agassi won't win more than 10 slams because he took his career seriously too late. Federer takes his career very seriously. I don't know if he will win more than 10 slams, but it's not because of his baseline game. It's a question of keeping his motivation up for a lot of years. And that's very difficult to do.
rwn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has a many other weapons to rely on.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Federer doesn't think too much about Pete's record, it's makro120 who's obsessed with such stuff and would like him to get himself killed chasing records.
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
Federer doesn't think too much about Pete's record, it's makro120 who's obsessed with such stuff and would like him to get himself killed chasing records.
LOL @ makro with the gun ready under the pillow in case Rogi breaks his leg
Old 04-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Roger doesn't move too much. He glides not grinds so he will be around for as long as he wishes really unless he suffers a big injury.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
country flag Pea

Pea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so out of the loop. Who's makro?
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
country flag makro120

makro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond reputemakro120 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea
I'm so out of the loop. Who's makro?
Currently the most hated annoying little fanboy in these forums (not to mention with serious mental problems).
Roddick and Hewitt together winner of: 3 sidney, 4 Adelaide, 3 washington, 3 san jose, 3 indianapolis, 2 houston, 2 memphis, 5 queens and one master series title (where Safin, Agassi, Federer and Nadal happens to all be injured).
Old 04-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute

Roger moves effortlessly, therefore this question is void.
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
country flag makro120

I think and have heard many other say that Federer has a style that is energy efficient, he moves in a smooth way, which is easy on his body. Unlike players like GHewitt, NAdal and Coria who moves in a way which is hard on the body. I think they all will end their careers around 26 years old. Federer on the other hand will keep playing as long as he is motivated, he could play tennis 12 more years I bet and stay on the top like Agassi, maybe even more succesfull. I really don't see many limits for Federer, he is a player who plays many matches and is rarely injured. Also he takes tennis seriously and he is much more profesional than Borg was, Borg rarely seemed to have fun out there, Federer seems to almost always enjoy playing tennis. You can't just say baseliners end their career more quickly than bigservers, it is more complicated. Does the likes of Connors and Agassi ring a bell?
Old 04-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #14
country flag Pea

Pea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by makro120
Currently the most hated annoying little fanboy in these forums (not to mention with serious mental problems).
No! Rogifans don't have mental problems! Blasphemy!
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #15
country flag erik-the-red

erik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to behold

Players like Hewitt and Coria RUN.

Roger feels around the court. Besides, he does indeed have a power game style.
erik-the-red is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote