Are video games and smartphones a menace to human species? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
If only I could snap them out of people's hands and smash them on the ground without getting in trouble
it's very annoying indeed.

but it's also among the fastest ways to tell ppl apart.

There's hardly any way i would feel comfortable or friendly with someone using excessively his smart phone on the table at diner f.e., or over coffee, whatever.

It's just one more way for us to fast judge other people, like we do over their musical preferences, their clothing, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post

would you try to elaborate on your disagreement with my position?
I was referring to the commments at the end of the second article linked
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Add shopping to that list:

Quote:
55% of British women say they prefer shopping to sex
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...on-halves.html

Also add food:

Quote:
What would you rather have, a juicy hamburger or a night of sex with your lady friend? A new survey shows that the majority of men prefer the hamburger over a roll in the sack.
http://www.spike.com/articles/8x8mbf...-food-over-sex

Don't forget sleeping:

Quote:
A recent iVillage survey of wives aged 18-49 showed that most married women are only "somewhat happy" with their sex life and many prefer sleep over sex with their partner.
http://www.essence.com/2011/03/20/iv...relationships/

I guess there are too many things to list that people prefer over sex
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Sex is way more awesome than god damn doodle jump.

This survey is inaccurate as shit.

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #20
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I was referring to the commments at the end of the second article linked
now i feel stupid...

my apologies, totally misread it
Quote:
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
Old 08-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it's very annoying indeed.

but it's also among the fastest ways to tell ppl apart.

There's hardly any way i would feel comfortable or friendly with someone using excessively his smart phone on the table at diner f.e., or over coffee, whatever.

It's just one more way for us to fast judge other people, like we do over their musical preferences, their clothing, etc.
That's a positive twist for sure and I agree 100%. I take it personally if someone hasn't turned off their cell on a date. Bah-Bye!

Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal certainly win Roger?

Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)

Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
now i feel stupid...

my apologies, totally misread it
He could have been more clear. Don't feel too bad about it.

argument.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
country flag Mr. Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Add shopping to that list:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...on-halves.html

Also add food:

http://www.spike.com/articles/8x8mbf...-food-over-sex

Don't forget sleeping:

http://www.essence.com/2011/03/20/iv...relationships/

I guess there are too many things to list that people prefer over sex
Many people have lost the ability to see, hear, and communicate. A total reversion to the anal stage when we prefer hot dogs and satisfying basic needs over beauty.

argument.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #24
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

I think websites like MTF are a bigger problem IMO
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
I think websites like MTF are a bigger problem IMO
I agree.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #26
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is no.

And these surveys are nonsensical for a myriad of reasons that I won't go into. If you want to prove a point of this complex nature, post a dissertation from a reliable sociologist (and there are a lot in the subject of video games and society) or something instead of these pseudo-sociological surveys geared towards shocking people and getting reads.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #27
country flag Mr. Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
The answer is no.

And these surveys are nonsensical for a myriad of reasons that I won't go into. If you want to prove a point of this complex nature, post a dissertation from a reliable sociologist (and there are a lot in the subject of video games and society) or something instead of these pseudo-sociological surveys geared towards shocking people and getting reads.
True, that's why red wine is good for you one day, then bad the next, according to the media. Continual rope-a-dope.

Nevertheless, if I had a kid, I'd want him to pick up a stradivarius or a guitar, or play sports, instead of dump him in front of the XYZ-Box. Now, regarding the sedentary lifestyle, there are myriads of dissertations which warn about the health risks. You rarely see kids playing hockey in the streets anymore, everyone knows what they're doing, and it's a tragic trend. Maybe it's not a world-ender, but there will be more sick people in the future and not less.

argument.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Especies lol.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
country flag latso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
True, that's why red wine is good for you one day, then bad the next, according to the media. Continual rope-a-dope.

Nevertheless, if I had a kid, I'd want him to pick up a stradivarius or a guitar, or play sports, instead of dump him in front of the XYZ-Box. Now, regarding the sedentary lifestyle, there are myriads of dissertations which warn about the health risks. You rarely see kids playing hockey in the streets anymore, everyone knows what they're doing, and it's a tragic trend. Maybe it's not a world-ender, but there will be more sick people in the future and not less.
or just ever at all...

another comment that blew my mind, just like an Aussie or New Zealand fellow, saying he's expecting spring in a week...the beauty of international forums

Of course this saying is used here for football (soccer) and i can imagine kids in Canada playing hockey in the streets, but isn't it a bit of an archaic thing to say, like smth that our grand parents would say?

When i was a kid we were playing football on the street and now no one does it, but why?
Because there are far more automobiles and it's not safe, neither fun anymore, so now the kids gather in school yards and parks to do the same and in my environment it's not less than 25 years ago, it's probably the same number.

Back in the days the 30 to 60yo people weren't playing anywhere, but now there are numerous private fields, with artificial grass, you pay and play, and there are thousands of people doing that in my town only.

Now there are sports clubs in every neighborhood almost and organized sport is much more available, much more popular, much more attended than 25 years ago.

These are all based on my close surroundings, but it's an angle from which if you look, you might see the same in your respective surroundings perhaps.

You can't stop a kid from playing outside even by force, even nowadays when they have more to do in their rooms than before.

And it's all about how one educates his own kids, it's not just a society problem.

I have 2 boys, 5 and 9, they have their share of outdoors games, video games, reading, family meals, going away week ends together, balanced home made food (it takes time and effort, but it's so important), so we're trying to do everything in the right way and starting from the fact that we know we can't spare enough time for them, we just try to do our best, have healthy rules and give the effort.

But street sports have just moved, they haven't disappeared because of video games imo.
Quote:
no shit..

Quote:
NID
Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #30
country flag Mr. Oracle

Quote:
or just ever at all...

another comment that blew my mind, just like an Aussie or New Zealand fellow, saying he's expecting spring in a week...the beauty of international forums

Of course this saying is used here for football (soccer) and i can imagine kids in Canada playing hockey in the streets, but isn't it a bit of an archaic thing to say, like smth that our grand parents would say?

When i was a kid we were playing football on the street and now no one does it, but why?
Because there are far more automobiles and it's not safe, neither fun anymore, so now the kids gather in school yards and parks to do the same and in my environment it's not less than 25 years ago, it's probably the same number.

Back in the days the 30 to 60yo people weren't playing anywhere, but now there are numerous private fields, with artificial grass, you pay and play, and there are thousands of people doing that in my town only.

Now there are sports clubs in every neighborhood almost and organized sport is much more available, much more popular, much more attended than 25 years ago.

These are all based on my close surroundings, but it's an angle from which if you look, you might see the same in your respective surroundings perhaps.

You can't stop a kid from playing outside even by force, even nowadays when they have more to do in their rooms than before.

And it's all about how one educates his own kids, it's not just a society problem.

I have 2 boys, 5 and 9, they have their share of outdoors games, video games, reading, family meals, going away week ends together, balanced home made food (it takes time and effort, but it's so important), so we're trying to do everything in the right way and starting from the fact that we know we can't spare enough time for them, we just try to do our best, have healthy rules and give the effort.

But street sports have just moved, they haven't disappeared because of video games imo.
There may be more facilities but youth obesity is an epidemic because of sedentary life-styles. It's good that you make sure that yours get enough exercise. Sadly many parents use video games and tv as a babysitter.

argument.