Are video games and smartphones a menace to human species? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
country flag latso
Registered User
 
latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 6,479
latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
If only I could snap them out of people's hands and smash them on the ground without getting in trouble
it's very annoying indeed.

but it's also among the fastest ways to tell ppl apart.

There's hardly any way i would feel comfortable or friendly with someone using excessively his smart phone on the table at diner f.e., or over coffee, whatever.

It's just one more way for us to fast judge other people, like we do over their musical preferences, their clothing, etc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Dimitrov will never win anything above 250 level.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
country flag motorhead
Registered User
 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,526
motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post

would you try to elaborate on your disagreement with my position?
I was referring to the commments at the end of the second article linked
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Gonzo was well known for perhaps one of the biggest FHs on tour, while James (Blake) is more known for his awesome BH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
he's not gay
put a hand on my ass in sopot when i was 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I learn my learn in Oeiras, the flop was wearing a freaking jumper in a match vs sizzles, well he won, but I swear on my life afterwards' Never in my lifetime, I will bet on this flop'.
motorhead is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
country flag Time Violation
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 35
Posts: 10,521
Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Add shopping to that list:

Quote:
55% of British women say they prefer shopping to sex
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...on-halves.html

Also add food:

Quote:
What would you rather have, a juicy hamburger or a night of sex with your lady friend? A new survey shows that the majority of men prefer the hamburger over a roll in the sack.
http://www.spike.com/articles/8x8mbf...-food-over-sex

Don't forget sleeping:

Quote:
A recent iVillage survey of wives aged 18-49 showed that most married women are only "somewhat happy" with their sex life and many prefer sleep over sex with their partner.
http://www.essence.com/2011/03/20/iv...relationships/

I guess there are too many things to list that people prefer over sex
__________________
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
country flag Kowchi
Registered User
 
Kowchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 22
Posts: 1,852
Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Sex is way more awesome than god damn doodle jump.

This survey is inaccurate as shit.
__________________
I support Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, David Ferrer, Del Potro.

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple



Lneders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #20
country flag latso
Registered User
 
latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 6,479
latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I was referring to the commments at the end of the second article linked
now i feel stupid...

my apologies, totally misread it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Dimitrov will never win anything above 250 level.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
country flag Mr. Oracle
Registered User
 
Mr. Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,842
Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
it's very annoying indeed.

but it's also among the fastest ways to tell ppl apart.

There's hardly any way i would feel comfortable or friendly with someone using excessively his smart phone on the table at diner f.e., or over coffee, whatever.

It's just one more way for us to fast judge other people, like we do over their musical preferences, their clothing, etc.
That's a positive twist for sure and I agree 100%. I take it personally if someone hasn't turned off their cell on a date. Bah-Bye!
__________________
ALL ABOARD THE 2014

DJOKOCOASTER
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
country flag Mr. Oracle
Registered User
 
Mr. Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,842
Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
now i feel stupid...

my apologies, totally misread it
He could have been more clear. Don't feel too bad about it.
__________________
ALL ABOARD THE 2014

DJOKOCOASTER
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
country flag Mr. Oracle
Registered User
 
Mr. Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,842
Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Add shopping to that list:



http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...on-halves.html

Also add food:



http://www.spike.com/articles/8x8mbf...-food-over-sex

Don't forget sleeping:



http://www.essence.com/2011/03/20/iv...relationships/

I guess there are too many things to list that people prefer over sex
Many people have lost the ability to see, hear, and communicate. A total reversion to the anal stage when we prefer hot dogs and satisfying basic needs over beauty.
__________________
ALL ABOARD THE 2014

DJOKOCOASTER
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #24
country flag Unforced Terror
Registered User
 
Unforced Terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,293
Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

I think websites like MTF are a bigger problem IMO
__________________
~ ~ ~ ~


Forces of Good: Federer- Tsonga- Nishikori- Dimitrov-Youzhny- Istomin- Pospisil- Bautista-Agut- Flo Mayer- Nieminen- Slamdev- Davydenko- Warlocq- Llodra- GGL

Mysterious Non-human Entity: The Fog

The Trifecta of Evil: Nadal- Murray- Gulbis
Unforced Terror is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
country flag ProdigyEng
#1
 
ProdigyEng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 21
Posts: 24,326
ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
I think websites like MTF are a bigger problem IMO
I agree.
__________________


GOOD LUCK IN UNRETIREMENT JOHNNY GROOVE
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #26
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 12,300
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

The answer is no.

And these surveys are nonsensical for a myriad of reasons that I won't go into. If you want to prove a point of this complex nature, post a dissertation from a reliable sociologist (and there are a lot in the subject of video games and society) or something instead of these pseudo-sociological surveys geared towards shocking people and getting reads.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #27
country flag Mr. Oracle
Registered User
 
Mr. Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,842
Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
The answer is no.

And these surveys are nonsensical for a myriad of reasons that I won't go into. If you want to prove a point of this complex nature, post a dissertation from a reliable sociologist (and there are a lot in the subject of video games and society) or something instead of these pseudo-sociological surveys geared towards shocking people and getting reads.
True, that's why red wine is good for you one day, then bad the next, according to the media. Continual rope-a-dope.

Nevertheless, if I had a kid, I'd want him to pick up a stradivarius or a guitar, or play sports, instead of dump him in front of the XYZ-Box. Now, regarding the sedentary lifestyle, there are myriads of dissertations which warn about the health risks. You rarely see kids playing hockey in the streets anymore, everyone knows what they're doing, and it's a tragic trend. Maybe it's not a world-ender, but there will be more sick people in the future and not less.
__________________
ALL ABOARD THE 2014

DJOKOCOASTER
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 27
Posts: 20,495
Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Especies lol.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
country flag latso
Registered User
 
latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 6,479
latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
True, that's why red wine is good for you one day, then bad the next, according to the media. Continual rope-a-dope.

Nevertheless, if I had a kid, I'd want him to pick up a stradivarius or a guitar, or play sports, instead of dump him in front of the XYZ-Box. Now, regarding the sedentary lifestyle, there are myriads of dissertations which warn about the health risks. You rarely see kids playing hockey in the streets anymore, everyone knows what they're doing, and it's a tragic trend. Maybe it's not a world-ender, but there will be more sick people in the future and not less.
or just ever at all...

another comment that blew my mind, just like an Aussie or New Zealand fellow, saying he's expecting spring in a week...the beauty of international forums

Of course this saying is used here for football (soccer) and i can imagine kids in Canada playing hockey in the streets, but isn't it a bit of an archaic thing to say, like smth that our grand parents would say?

When i was a kid we were playing football on the street and now no one does it, but why?
Because there are far more automobiles and it's not safe, neither fun anymore, so now the kids gather in school yards and parks to do the same and in my environment it's not less than 25 years ago, it's probably the same number.

Back in the days the 30 to 60yo people weren't playing anywhere, but now there are numerous private fields, with artificial grass, you pay and play, and there are thousands of people doing that in my town only.

Now there are sports clubs in every neighborhood almost and organized sport is much more available, much more popular, much more attended than 25 years ago.

These are all based on my close surroundings, but it's an angle from which if you look, you might see the same in your respective surroundings perhaps.

You can't stop a kid from playing outside even by force, even nowadays when they have more to do in their rooms than before.


And it's all about how one educates his own kids, it's not just a society problem.

I have 2 boys, 5 and 9, they have their share of outdoors games, video games, reading, family meals, going away week ends together, balanced home made food (it takes time and effort, but it's so important), so we're trying to do everything in the right way and starting from the fact that we know we can't spare enough time for them, we just try to do our best, have healthy rules and give the effort.

But street sports have just moved, they haven't disappeared because of video games imo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Dimitrov will never win anything above 250 level.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #30
country flag Mr. Oracle
Registered User
 
Mr. Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,842
Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are video games and smartphones a menace to human especies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
or just ever at all...

another comment that blew my mind, just like an Aussie or New Zealand fellow, saying he's expecting spring in a week...the beauty of international forums

Of course this saying is used here for football (soccer) and i can imagine kids in Canada playing hockey in the streets, but isn't it a bit of an archaic thing to say, like smth that our grand parents would say?

When i was a kid we were playing football on the street and now no one does it, but why?
Because there are far more automobiles and it's not safe, neither fun anymore, so now the kids gather in school yards and parks to do the same and in my environment it's not less than 25 years ago, it's probably the same number.

Back in the days the 30 to 60yo people weren't playing anywhere, but now there are numerous private fields, with artificial grass, you pay and play, and there are thousands of people doing that in my town only.

Now there are sports clubs in every neighborhood almost and organized sport is much more available, much more popular, much more attended than 25 years ago.

These are all based on my close surroundings, but it's an angle from which if you look, you might see the same in your respective surroundings perhaps.

You can't stop a kid from playing outside even by force, even nowadays when they have more to do in their rooms than before.


And it's all about how one educates his own kids, it's not just a society problem.

I have 2 boys, 5 and 9, they have their share of outdoors games, video games, reading, family meals, going away week ends together, balanced home made food (it takes time and effort, but it's so important), so we're trying to do everything in the right way and starting from the fact that we know we can't spare enough time for them, we just try to do our best, have healthy rules and give the effort.

But street sports have just moved, they haven't disappeared because of video games imo.
There may be more facilities but youth obesity is an epidemic because of sedentary life-styles. It's good that you make sure that yours get enough exercise. Sadly many parents use video games and tv as a babysitter.
__________________
ALL ABOARD THE 2014

DJOKOCOASTER
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios