If Roger continues his finals win streak into the French '05, what will you think? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: If Roger continues his finals win streak into the FO, what will you think?

Roger is one of the greats! He now carries the Golden Slam. 33 70.21%
Why can't someone defeat him? I'm sick of him winning. 14 29.79%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Default If Roger continues his finals win streak into the French '05, what will you think?

Discuss

Last edited by Tennis Fool : 04-03-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Roger continues his finals win streak into the French '05, what will you think?

I would be very, very surprised if we saw him in the RG final this year. But if he were, that would be the one final I'd want him to win above all else.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Roger continues his finals win streak into the French '05, what will you think?

"I'm sick" of these stupid threads/polls, stop plz.

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #4
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
I would be very, very surprised if we saw him in the RG final this year. But if he were, that would be the one final I'd want him to win above all else.
If not this year, when?

They said the NASDAQ court was playing like a fast clay court, and Fed still beat Rafa, who they say is one of the favs for the FO. Fed is not so bad on clay either. Moya is playing like ass, and Ferrero is still trying to regain his form. Guga is out of the picture. Coria--he doesn't the momentum he had when he was a finalist in Miami last year. I'd want Fed to win and not have some Mr. Nobody again.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
Tennis Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine
"I'm sick" of these stupid threads/polls, stop plz.
Then "why" are you the 2nd to post
Old 04-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows when? It's certainly not a priority for him this year, he says he wants to do well there but the big goal is Wimbledon. To my mind, he's running out of chances when he's in peak physical and mental condition to be able to do it.

Fed BARELY beat Rafa, and thanks, I'm well aware that he's no mug on clay - it's just that he is a bit of a mug at RG, especially on Chatrier. If he just scraped out a win on hard, imagine how tough it would be to best Nadal over five sets on clay. You have forgotten a guy called Coria in your analysis of the title contenders, and no offence Fool, but I'd want either Federer OR a Mr. Nobody to win. In fact, if Federer doesn't win it this year then I sincerely hope that another deserving winner gets it to follow in the footsteps of Costa and Gaudio. Canas maybe, or Zabaleta?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 04-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #7
country flag darnyelb

darnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond reputedarnyelb has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't Roger need to have won the Olympic gold to have the Golden Slam? Maybe you meant the career Grand slam?

Otherwise, I'd love to see him win. Really curious how he'll perform in the clay season.
darnyelb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
country flag Adman

Adman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond reputeAdman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Federer is wanting the French Open so much if he won it would be the GS I would like him to win above all his other titles.

Life it's a great game.
-Andre Agassi-

He was too good. I would suggest to his next opponent that he doesn't look to me for advice.
-Andre Agassi-
Adman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
country flag Devotee

Devotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond repute

I think Roger must lose in a big clay court event during the next few weeks simply because he'll be too mentally & physically exhausted from all the playing he's been doing in getting to so many finals.
Devotee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
Tennis Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotee
I think Roger must lose in a big clay court event during the next few weeks simply because he'll be too mentally & physically exhausted from all the playing he's been doing in getting to so many finals.
I'm sure he'll be taking some time off.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
Tennis Fool

Quote:
Who knows when? It's certainly not a priority for him this year, he says he wants to do well there but the big goal is Wimbledon. To my mind, he's running out of chances when he's in peak physical and mental condition to be able to do it.
Sorry, I quiet didn't understand that last sentence

Quote:
You have forgotten a guy called Coria in your analysis of the title contenders,
Look again.

Quote:
and no offence Fool, but I'd want either Federer OR a Mr. Nobody to win. In fact, if Federer doesn't win it this year then I sincerely hope that another deserving winner gets it to follow in the footsteps of Costa and Gaudio. Canas maybe, or Zabaleta?
I never said who I though was a Mr. Nobody. Certainly not Gaudio, although he's been MIA since his French win. But regarding Mr. Nobody's I'll let you have that argument with YS and Eggy.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #12
country flag Sjengster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
Sorry, I quiet didn't understand that last sentence

Look again.

I never said who I though was a Mr. Nobody. Certainly not Gaudio, although he's been MIA since his French win. But regarding Mr. Nobody's I'll let you have that argument with YS and Eggy.
I mean, he's got a limited number of years left when he'll be in the right mental and physical shape to win RG, after about 26 I don't think he has much of a chance. I would hate to imagine him turning in Sampras-like performances in his last few years at RG, even if he does have far more clay ability than the latter.

Did you add Coria into that post afterwards? Probably not, my reading skills can be poor at times. But anyway, at the moment I'd still call him the favourite for RG, even though it's a bit silly to speculate at the moment when the clay season hasn't even begun.

The trouble is, TF, that what to you is a "Mr. Nobody" is to many other people "A skilled and entertaining clay player who provides a refreshing alternative to the predictable domination of a cabal of top players on fast surfaces throughout the rest of the year." Now I can understand why you'd want to shorten all that to "Mr. Nobody", but it's a tad inaccurate.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #13
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

If Federer plays well and the clay at Roland Garros is not mud, he can and would beat anyone (see Hamburg last year and the beatdown he gave Coria in the final to end Coria's streak). That is if he is on his game. If not, there are a number of players who could beat him on the dirt.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
country flag gravity

gravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond reputegravity has a reputation beyond repute

He isn't winning Roland Garros this year. End of story.

Pies Descalzos Foundation
gravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #15
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

You mean if Roger is winning the French Open? Then I'm thinking: "Damn, I would have loved Coria winning it"

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote