Federer vs Henman: can Tim win? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federer vs Henman: can Tim win?

I know the idea may be laughable to some but seeing as how Tim's been on fire all week and Zombie Roger has had his pretty head down in the bowl all week, then it's quite possible Tim could pull off a win.

Then again, Roger tends to lift his game when he needs to. He's been on cruise-control so far with these lower-ranked players whom he knows he can get away with playing sloppy. He's been going through the motions. He won't be asleep when Tim shows up, that's for sure.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this match.

Henman confident of Federer shock

British number one Tim Henman insists he can upset all-conquering world number one Roger Federer when they meet in Thursday's Nasdaq-100 quarter-final.

Henman has a favourable 6-3 record against the Swiss ace, but Federer has won the last two matches.

"There are plenty of guys with far better groundstrokes than me and he dominates them," Henman said.

"When I take his time away I think it gives him far less opportunity to show the repertoire of shots he has got."

"You don't want to be rushing everything so suddenly that you make a whole host of unforced errors, but I want to be aggressive."

Federer, who had to go to three sets in the two previous rounds, is aware than Henman can provide problems for him.

"Tim and I are good buddies, we get along well," the 23-year-old said.

"He gives you a tough match because he keeps coming at you. I've lost to him several times and I expect a tough match."

Henman admitted that a totally gung-ho attitude would not be advisable against a player of Federer's calibre.

"There's that fine line," he said. "You don't want to be rushing everything so suddenly that you make a whole host of unforced errors, but I want to be aggressive and really have that feeling of going for it."

- - - - - -

Henman not worried about Federer

Tim Henman hopes he can improve on an already impressive record against Roger Federer when the pair meet in the last eight of the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami tomorrow.

Although world No1 Federer has won their last two encounters, Henman still holds a 6-3 advantage in career meetings.

British No1 Henman, seeded six at this ATP Masters Series event, moved into the last eight with a 7-6, 6-3 win over Czech Radek Stepanek.

Top seed Federer, 23, survived a tough encounter with Croatia's Mario Ancic, dropping a set for the second successive match before prevailing 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 against the 18th seed.

Looking ahead to Thursday's clash, 30-yearold Henman joked: "I'm one of the few guys who has a good record against Roger, although I think I beat him a couple of times when he was just 13 or 14. More recently he's taken the game to a new level and his record over the last 16 months has been phenomenal.

"But there will be no pressure or expectation on me so I can just focus on the things I'm doing well and see what happens.

"He's had a couple of tough matches - dropping a set against both Mariano Zabaleta and Ancic - and hopefully I can create a few opportunities.

"I've already beaten him six times so let's hope I can make it seven."

The pair flew to Miami together on a private jet and Federer admitted they are good friends off the court.

"We're good buddies. We get along well," said last year's Wimbledon champion. "But he gives you a tough match because he keeps coming at you.

"I think outdoors he's not as good as indoors, but I still won't underestimate him. I've lost to him several times and I expect a tough match tomorrow."

Elsewhere in the men's draw, six-times champion Andre Agassi went through to the last eight after beating French Open champion Gaston Gaudio 7-6, 6-2.

Agassi, said: "A match like that can just turn into a first-class battle or, if you take your chances, you can maybe break it open. Today, that's what happened."

Agassi will play Taylor Dent, who beat Florian Mayer 6-3, 6-4, in the quarter-finals.

In the women's event, Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova beat former world No1 Justine Henin-Hardenne 6-1, 6-7, 6-2 to end the Belgian's run in her first tournament since last year's US Open.

Sharapova will play Venus Williams in the semi-final after she beat her sister Serena 6-1, 7-6 in the night session in Miami.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 03-30-2005 at 04:50 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
country flag adeegee

adeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Henman: can Tim win?

Tim's going to have to serve extremely well. It's not impossible but I expect Roger's level to rise when he needs it to. I hope I'm wrong, but I've gotta fancy Roger
adeegee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
country flag alexito
amo la nba

alexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond reputealexito has a reputation beyond repute

henman only win if federer injured.
alexito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Henman's only lost one service game in the tournament thus far, but Chela and Stepanek are two of his pigeons and he can impose his game on them pretty easily. This is a slow hardcourt, Federer's last two victories have come on American hardcourt, and of course his first ever win over Henman was here in Miami three years ago - although that was a retirement, so you can't read too much into it. I expect Federer to raise his game for this match, but Henman should do as well so we could be in for an entertaining clash. Henman has to start well this time, in the last couple of meetings Federer has got the first break within six games at the most and cruised from there. In fact, at the US Open he held his first three service games to love; Henman has to prevent that, considering he has the ability with the blocked returns to limit the cheap points for Federer on serve. I hope for a hot and windy day, that'll make the balls fly and make passing shots much tougher to play.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want Tim to win Sjengster when he has no chance of winning the event?
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Why do you want Tim to win Sjengster when he has no chance of winning the event?
Here's another one of those obnoxious Fed trolls you were talking about, Jogy.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Federer loses a set to Zabaleta and Ancic. I'd say Tim could beat him.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robert|Smyczek |J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
country flag adeegee

adeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nonsense
adeegee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
country flag tennisman.

tennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond reputetennisman. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I f he wins Federer which i doubt,then why wouldt he have a chance winning the whole thing?

Memphis Grizlies
D3:sen Tunnelma

My heaven is your hell
----------------------
If you are not gonna shoot,you will always gonna miss

----------------------
Blacklist:
1.Hrbaty
2.Safin
3.WTA
4.Michelin tyres
5.Mariano "the tourist" Puerta

Click here:
http://hstrial-ptammela.homestead.com
tennisman. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Tim can win, it's not like he hasn't done it before, but he really needs to be ready from the go and if Roger is sluggish and has to keep on him and not get tight as Henman has not delivered consistently enough in the big matches.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #11
country flag erik-the-red

erik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to behold

If Federer is not sick as the rumours say, then Henman will have a very hard time.

If he is not feeling well, then Henman has a very, very good chance.
erik-the-red is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #12
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

If Federer continues to play like he was, Tim has his chance. But I haven't seen Federer playing sluggish for more than 2 matches especially toward the final of a tournament.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #13
Wulfram

Wulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond reputeWulfram has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
Chela and Stepanek are two of his pigeons and he can impose his game on them pretty easily.
The Henman - Chela head to head was 3-2 going into this tournament. That's hardly pigeonhood.

Anyway Henman obviously can win, but unfortunately probably won't. Not on this surface anyway.
Wulfram is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because I'm strange like that sometimes. And I don't see a single one of Henman's nemeses left in this draw. Obviously no match is easy, but Federer is probably the toughest test he could have in this event. He played Agassi five years ago in Miami, and lost. Do you want to know what the score was?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:46 PM   #15
country flag Sjengster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfram
The Henman - Chela head to head was 3-2 going into this tournament. That's hardly pigeonhood.

Anyway Henman obviously can win, but unfortunately probably won't. Not on this surface anyway.
I know, but his last two wins against Chela in 2004 were very convincing and Chela hasn't actually beaten a physically 100% Henman since 2000, in Monte Carlo. Two out of Henman's four victories were on clay. I'd call that pigeonhood.