Can we please do somethng about "machine gun jinxing"? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can we please do somethng about "machine gun jinxing"?

I just made that phrase up.

This is when a user spams posts in an attempt to "jinx" a player that they want to lose, or "anti-jinx" a player that they want to win. It is incredibly distracting when people do this. There is one person in particular that I am referring to: !VamosRafa!

Just today, !VamosRafa! did this in the commentary thread when Federer was playing Delbonis. The machine gun jinxing was attempt to will Federer into losing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by !VamosRafa! View Post
Federer is getting away with this match 100%. What a fluke draw. Fognini in the final :happy:
Quote:
Federer will win 6-7 6-3 6-2. Book it.
Quote:
NID. Congrats Fed.
Quote:
Match point Federer.
Quote:
6-7 6-4 6-3. Nid.
And so on, until Federer eventually lost:

Quote:
Grand day for tennis
Quote:
Federer's luck ran out
And this is not the first time this poster has done this. Among other times (probably), this poster did the same thing during the match at Wimbledon with Nadal at Darcis (trying to "will" Nadal to win by repeatedly spamming predictions that he will lose) and during the match at Roland Garros between Djokovic at Nadal.

This poster offers ZERO substance to the conversation and repeatedly spams predictions, in attempts to "jinx" or "anti-jinx". It is incredibly annoying, distracting, and is not productive at all. Can the mods please address this problem?
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we please do somethng about "machine gun jinxing"?

It can be annoying especially for a fan but it isn't against rules.

My advice is that use the ignore list for people who annoy you generally.

Or don't go to live commentary thread, it's the only place for those posts during a match.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, live commentary is a chat thread, making sense isn't really required
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

But I guess that since it IS a chat thread, that kinda stuff deemed permissible.

Thanks for the response and clarification
Old 08-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
country flag MIMIC

VamosRafa created THREE threads while the match between Djokovic and Nadal was still being played:

Is Rafa the biggest choker in the top 10 after Berdych?
Has there ever been a more one sided rivalry than Djokovic-Nadal?
Why does Djokovic have such a huge mental edge over Nadal?

He took his disruptions outside side of the commentary thread and brought them into the general messages. That has to be considered spam.

Last edited by MIMIC : 08-11-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the thread making jinxing is pretty unacceptable ^^

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
VamosRafa created THREE threads while the match between Djokovic and Nadal was still being played:

Is Rafa the biggest choker in the top 10 after Berdych?
Has there ever been a more one sided rivalry than Djokovic-Nadal?
Why does Djokovic have such a huge mental edge over Nadal?

He took his disruptions outside side of the commentary thread and brought them into the general messages. That has to be considered spam.
tried reporting but there were no mods around for hours. what's the point of appointing a dozen new mods if no one's around when a marquee match is on with players who have rival big fanbase groups here?

Anyways, I think what that poster subjected us to over a short period of time was a hundred times worse than someone posting "Dull forum" or "Nose forum" once every other day. it's bad enough in live commentary but making those threads was crossing the line.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
tried reporting but there were no mods around for hours. what's the point of appointing a dozen new mods if no one's around when a marquee match is on with players who have rival big fanbase groups here?

Anyways, I think what that poster subjected us to over a short period of time was a hundred times worse than someone posting "Dull forum" or "Nose forum" once every other day. it's bad enough in live commentary but making those threads was crossing the line.
I agree Kat!

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say if you keep reporting threads like that, we will act.

Sadly, there are days when we aren't online. But to be honest that's rare. Sadly it was an example.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The match started around 2am European time and finished around 5am, even later on Asian/Australian time; there are a couple of mods in USA time zone, but it was a Saturday evening, it's pretty normal if they weren't around at the moment. Mods are human too
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
country flag Blue Heart24

Blue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond repute

When someone is throwing insults and being abusive that's what needs to be reported,on the other hand this whining because someone has a posting style you don't like is ridiculous.And yes that guy should be allowed to post as many jinxing posts as he wants,it isn't directed towards any other member,it's just a way he follows tennis matches.
Blue Heart24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #12
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heart24 View Post
When someone is throwing insults and being abusive that's what needs to be reported,on the other hand this whining because someone has a posting style you don't like is ridiculous.And yes that guy should be allowed to post as many jinxing posts as he wants,it isn't directed towards any other member,it's just a way he follows tennis matches.
but what about making 3 spam threads in GM as part of his silly ritual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
The match started around 2am European time and finished around 5am, even later on Asian/Australian time; there are a couple of mods in USA time zone, but it was a Saturday evening, it's pretty normal if they weren't around at the moment. Mods are human too
Di is cause I've seen her pics. Don't know about the rest of you...
Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Di is cause I've seen her pics. Don't know about the rest of you...
You've seen mine
Old 08-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
You've seen mine
Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
country flag MIMIC

Thank you, mods

Hopefully this will deter behavior like this in the future