Mental Training for Competition - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-29-2005, 03:08 AM   #1
country flag CompetitiveEdge

CompetitiveEdge is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Mental Training for Competition

I ask every athlete and coach this question. In competition, how much of the outcome is attributed to physical and how much is mental? The answer ranges from 50/50 to 80% mental and 20% physical. I then ask them, as I now ask you, what do you do to train your psychological side? 99% of the time they stare at me, searching for an answer. *
I have the answer, I have studied, developed and applied a success system for over 20 years! If you haven't tapped into the mental side; you are at best, at 50% of your potential.

Want Different Results?

If you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep getting what you’ve always gotten. If you want to make remarkable improvements, you must raise your standards to the level you would expect, if you were already a champion.
How does a champion stand? What would a champion say? How would a champion dress? In order to be a champion, you must think and act as if you already were. In order to be successful, you must first think, act like and accept that you already are.
Your mind will adjust to your new standards and support your conviction!
You will have a Winning Mind Set, and great things will happen.

"a positive attitude can really make dreams come true-it did for me."
-Zin Garrison

www.thewinningmindset.com[url=http://www.thewinningmindset.com]
CompetitiveEdge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 07:02 AM   #2
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Training for Competition

Lmao, what a first post Is there even a real person there?
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
country flag Roger-No.1

Roger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond repute

The Winning Mind, people

Roger Federer
Becker | Björn Borg | Edberg

Kiefer Moyá Ljubicic Schalken

Nalbandian Gaudio Kuerten

Grosjean Ancic Santoro Mayer
Roger-No.1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger-No.1
The Winning Mind, people

Well they need to learn how to use MTF HTML.
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
country flag Roger-No.1

Roger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae wowww

Well they need to learn how to use MTF HTML.
Definitely.

They'll fix it next time with a different nick.

Roger Federer
Becker | Björn Borg | Edberg

Kiefer Moyá Ljubicic Schalken

Nalbandian Gaudio Kuerten

Grosjean Ancic Santoro Mayer
Roger-No.1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #6

Thanks! I'd love to stir up the pot. I'm not a World Class Player as the above mentioned, I am however a World Class Performance Coach. I have worked with thousands of athletes of all levels, helping them to achieve their goals, time and time again. The techniques I teach helped me personally to achieve 8 black belts, be inducted 3 times into the Hall of Fame and accomplish a World Champion performance in full contact martial arts in South East Asia. I currently work as a coach at Cornell University, specializing in "you guessed it", Athletic Performance.
What I propose to the forum members is: Share with us some of your performance strategies, principles, concepts or tips. In turn, I will share as well.
Oh, and yes, I'm not real keen on the html setup, any suggestions?

Ok, folks GNAW on this for a bit!
Visualizing Your Success
Mental imagery is an excellent, valuable tool that can be used to learn new routines, plays or to familiarize yourself with a particular venue or competition site. Mental rehearsal can help you enter a stressful situation feeling more prepared and more confident about your performance. Here is a great Winning Mind Set strategy. Visualize your success with emotion, using as many of your senses (modalities) as possible. This not only intensifies your clarity, but it also drives the vision deeper into your subconscious.

Here’s how to use this exercise: Choose a skill you want to improve and become aware of the action and all of the qualities. Later, visualize the action in complete detail, use your imagination to see the action in as much color and depth as possible. Tune in to as many sounds connected to the event as you can. Next, imagine as many different physical or tactile feelings associated to the action skill as possible. If there are any smells associated to the event add them to your mental program as you’re visualizing your action. Lastly, if you can find any tastes that you connect to the action you are working to improve, place them into your vision. See the scene in your mind’s eye as often, consistent, and with as much clarity and detail as you are able. As you visualize the skill you are trying to improve using these different modalities, you will multiply your effectiveness astronomically.

Bill Russell, 11 time NBA Championship player for the Boston Celtics used visualization and modeling
(replicating a skilled individual's actions) for years, starting back when he was 18 years old. He used the power of visualization to counter his competition by running their best moves over and over in his mind. He would then see himself successfully defending them, programing his subconscious. Once on the court, he would naturally respond without thought, to their skillful maneuvers, cutting them off effortlessly with an almost psychic response.
Absolutely amazing!

www.thewinningmindset.com Visualizing Your Success
Old 03-30-2005, 01:48 AM   #7

'Champions know that success is inevitable;
that there is no such thing as failure, only feedback.
They know that the best way to forecast the future is to create it.'
-Michael J. Gelb
Old 03-30-2005, 01:50 AM   #8
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute

lol
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:51 AM   #9
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATAS81
lol
Would you trust Michael J. Gelb with your life?
jole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute

Seek Safin, Hrbaty. You'll make a fortune with their endorsements.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:12 AM   #11
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATAS81
Seek Safin, Hrbaty. You'll make a fortune with their endorsements.
Okay.
jole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:35 AM   #12
country flag NATAS81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbatyfan
Okay.
That wasn't for you. But thanks in exceeding my agenda in bumping the thread.

Encore!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute

wowwowowo- funny stuff mate
Srichaphan- The Thai- ger of tennis.
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Kiefer- The naive guy, "yeh, me and seb are good friends"
Santoro- The double handed wizard of tennis.
Lopez- IS my hair right? IS my lipstick right?
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).
Tipsarevic- The tatoo of tennis, competing with moya.
Djokovic- Stole Jiri's surname

Sorry if I left out your favourite, just PM me to let me know-- thanks.
Rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:41 PM   #14

Your life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but rather by the number of moments that take your breath away! Tennis! Tennis! Tennis!
It's not the game, it's the moment!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
country flag NATAS81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompetitiveEdge
Your life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but rather by the number of moments that take your breath away! Tennis! Tennis! Tennis!
It's not the game, it's the moment!
Simply sig worthy.