Roger Federer defeats Mariano Zabaleta 6-2, 5-7, 6-3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-29-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
country flag Roger-No.1

Roger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Roger Federer defeats Mariano Zabaleta 6-2, 5-7, 6-3

Congrats Roger!

Zabaleta, a player who defeated Federer in Miami a couple of years ago, played very good tennis.

The first couple of games, no free points for either player.

At 2-2 in the first set, Roger Federer wins 5 consecutive games. Zabaleta wins points in several games, but never holds.

In the second set, they fight in each game. At 4-3, Federer breaks Zabaleta's serve and is ready to erve for the set.

But Roger loses the next three points and is down 0-40. He saves two break points, but Zabaleta gets the break in the third.

Zabaleta wins 4 games in a row and takes the second set.

Finally, Roger takes the third set 6-3 and wins the match.

Roger Federer
Becker | Björn Borg | Edberg

Kiefer Moyá Ljubicic Schalken

Nalbandian Gaudio Kuerten

Grosjean Ancic Santoro Mayer

Last edited by Roger-No.1 : 03-29-2005 at 03:23 AM.
Roger-No.1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
country flag euroka1

euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1 euroka1
Default Re: Roger Federer defeats Mariano Zabaleta 6-2, 5-7, 6-3

Well folks, that wasn't boring!
euroka1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:29 AM   #3
country flag Yonge

Yonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond reputeYonge has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I thought Roger was gonna finish him off in the 2nd.
Yonge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
country flag jmgsdoubsprtnr

jmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond repute

psssh, like this needs a thread of its own.
congrats fed
even more, congrats to Zab who played a good, exciting match, and took a set!

next up: Ancic. will he have a chance? i think not. no offense
Jan-Michael Gambill<>Flavio Saretta<>Andre Sa<>Amer Delic

SVERIGE
Soderling xx Pim Pim xx Jonas xx Ryderstedt xx Magnus
jmgsdoubsprtnr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

Mariano!!!!!!
I know it wasn't Federer's day at all, but still I loved how Mariano fought till the very end, never gave up and left his heart out there. I thought he deserved to win it, but it's Roger after all. Anyway, there are not a lot of players out there that can say they actually won a set to Federer.
Mariano, well done
jazz_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 AM   #6
country flag Roger-No.1

Roger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond reputeRoger-No.1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, he beat him in Miami a couple of years ago. It was no fluke

Go Mariano!

Roger Federer

Old 03-29-2005, 01:39 AM   #7
country flag Roger-No.1

And Mariano was taking advantage of all the unforced errors.

At 5-3 in the second set, Roger started having a lot of UE errors

And Mariano's winners were on their way up. That forehand!

Roger Federer

Last edited by Roger-No.1 : 03-29-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:39 AM   #8
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgsdoubsprtnr
psssh, like this needs a thread of its own.
congrats fed
even more, congrats to Zab who played a good, exciting match, and took a set!

next up: Ancic. will he have a chance? i think not. no offense
I think we know this one merited a thread.

Ancic has no offence? First I've heard of it. I hardly think that's going to be his problem against Federer.

I will reserve judgement until I see the highlights of this tomorrow afternoon, but Zabaleta has pushed Federer close in both his clay-court victories and beat him here in Miami in 2000, so with the crowd behind him and the sting on his forehand, it's no surprise that he made the match tight.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:41 AM   #9
country flag Daniela_CABJ

Daniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond repute

IT´S NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mariano has a great game and !!!!!!!! i think i´m gonna cry
Mariano made me feel really proud of being argentinian

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

*LINK TO RICHARD GASQUET OFFICIAL WEBSITE*

TOMÁŠ BERDYCH
Daniela_CABJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:42 AM   #10
country flag Roger-No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
I will reserve judgement until I see the highlights of this tomorrow afternoon, but Zabaleta has pushed Federer close in both his clay-court victories and beat him here in Miami in 2000, so with the crowd behind him and the sting on his forehand, it's no surprise that he made the match tight.
Definitely.

Roger Federer

Old 03-29-2005, 01:44 AM   #11
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atenea
I hope Zabaleta has a good claycourt season and defends his points from Rome, he plays with flair and he deserves some reward in the senior ranks for his great junior career.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:46 AM   #12
country flag Roger-No.1

He's ready for theclay season, Sjengster!

Roger Federer

Old 03-29-2005, 01:47 AM   #13
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atenea
Dani, I'm feeling the same way At first I didn't think he had a chance against him, but after watching the match, I'm sure he could have taken it. I'm sooooo sad and proud at the same time!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:52 AM   #14
country flag Roger-No.1

And jazz girl, Mariano did something Canas couldn't

He could hold serve and break.

Because Canas won a lot of points in amost every game in IW, but he didn't win the games.

Roger could've won the match at 5-3 in the second, but that's when Mariano got his 4 games in a row to win the set.

Zabaleta,

Roger Federer

Last edited by Roger-No.1 : 03-29-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:55 AM   #15
country flag jazz_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger-No.1
And jazz girl, Mariano did something Canas couldn't

He could hold serve and break.

Because Canas won a lot of points in amost every game in IW, but he didn't win the games.

Roger could've qon the match at 5-3 in the second, but that's when Mariano got his 4 games in a row to win the set.

Zabaleta,
I know