Is Andy in a slump? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is Andy in a Slump?

Yea, it's looking pretty grim for team Roddick. 8 21.62%
I wouldn't call it a slump but, he's underachieving for sure. 26 70.27%
Everything is peachy keen, and I happy with Andy's results so far in 05' 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #61
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Andy in a slump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
Zabaleta was fearless and never accepted defeat, he just kept going at Roger and attacked his FOREHAND! If the top players could play Roger like that, they'd win more often.
Yea, if Roger shanked his backhand like that and commited 5846156 errors in matches more often against the top players they might actually grab a couple wins.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 03:51 PM   #62
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

But Ryan, he was forced out of his element by Zabaleta's relentlessness. It got into his head. You could see that. I mean sure the wind was making him mishit some balls but the DF on the break point and stuff... he was affected and part of that was the way Zabaleta just fearlessly went after him.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:55 PM   #63
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

No kidding Carole!

Quote:
2005 Andy's game with 2003 Andy's head... can we do that?
I wish we could But then again, I'm sure Andy's mentality still wasn't GREAT back in 2003 so that's what I mean when I say Andy hasn't reached his best. Maybe we still have to wait.

Quote:
This is quite true. (I finally got the Ancic match on tape from my parents and watched it, such a different view than in person but yes, he played very well in that match and mentally recovered nicely after losing the first set). It's just the big matches that have been a problem
Yes, definitely. Though he really impressed me in the match against Hewitt and Moya. Especially the Moya one I'd say. 2002/2003 or even 2004 Andy would have completely lost his mind after losing a TB like that (a bad call by the chair umpire) yet he didn't and even raised his level. Quite impressive. The same in the Hewitt match. That wouldn't have happened before though he last TB was dissapointing. But he did play some great tennis through the whole match.

Quote:
Andy has a great team around him. Dougie is the best in the business, or certainly among the best - and Dean certainly knows how to deal wth an injured player if he dealt with Todd Martin for 8 years Andy doesn't seem to take unnecessary risks, he seems to know when he should continue to play and when he should not.

He could've continued to play the match against Fernando but he would probably have lost, and he could possibly have done more damage - he absolutely did the right thing by retiring and he absolutely did the right thing by pulling out of his Memphis match. Let's just be thankful the injuries both ended up to be minor and won't really affect him THAT much, at least not in the long-term. At least they were unlucky flukeish things and nothing chronic/serious/due to poor fitness.
Absolutely agreed.

Quote:
Yea it sucks b/c he almost definitely probably would've won Memphis and most likely would have won at least a few rounds at Miami, but I'm just trying to believe that it will all happen for a reason and I'm just trying to have faith that Andy will be smart and use the time where he can't play to do other things that will benefit his results on court.
Woah... is that Deb being... positive?! I'm so proud of you

Anyway, Andy does need to start winning big matches again, start beating top players, or players he hasn't been able to beat lately. That, and constantily playing very good tennis is going to make him gain confidence, little by little.

Last edited by Carito_90 : 03-29-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #64
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carito_90
Woah... is that Deb being... positive?! I'm so proud of you

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #65
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

The lower ranked players can have a go at it as they have nothing to lose. Do you remember the Japanese player who made Roger work harder earlier this year?

However i still think Roger underestimate these lower ranked players until he finds himself in trouble.

I guess the top players need to watch these exciting matches and learn a thing or two.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #66
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:03 PM   #67
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson
The lower ranked players can have a go at it as they have nothing to lose. Do you remember the Japanese player who made Roger work harder earlier this year?

However i still think Roger underestimate these lower ranked players until he finds himself in trouble.

I guess the top players need to watch these exciting matches and learn a thing or two.
He might underestimate them a little, sure. But he had also lost to Zabaleta at this very tournament, so he knew what his opponent was capable of. The thing is, against Roger, the top players don't even have anything to lose anymore. Whether it's Hewitt at #2 or Suzuki wherever he's ranked.... Roger's still way way better, so it doesn't matter Anyone who plays Roger is expected to lose, so there is not a whole lot more expectation on Lleyton or Andy or Andre or whomever than anyone else, IMO. They just need to get into that mindset for themselves, though.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #68
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But Ryan, he was forced out of his element by Zabaleta's relentlessness. It got into his head. You could see that. I mean sure the wind was making him mishit some balls but the DF on the break point and stuff... he was affected and part of that was the way Zabaleta just fearlessly went after him.
That's right Zabaleta was relentless with the elements, he controls the wind and the rain...and he made it soo windy it forced Fed out of his element, just like Andre did at USO but sadly Fed is god and above the elements although they can piss him off from time to time.

!!MIGHTY ZABALELTA!!
That's the gospel.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #69
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha great one.

How can Roger be 43/1 ? Is this a record or is there anyone else who did even better?

Swiss milk must be really good. Can we get some for Andy?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:45 PM   #70
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of choking, Hype lost her huge lead vs Christine and it looks like it's going to 3 sets.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:53 PM   #71
country flag thelma

thelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus

!!MIGHTY ZABALELTA!!

Too bad it is not work at all
thelma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 AM   #72
country flag Fumus

Quote:
hahaha great one.

How can Roger be 43/1 ? Is this a record or is there anyone else who did even better?

Swiss milk must be really good. Can we get some for Andy?
Hes not playing playing well...and hes still winning...
That's the gospel.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:05 AM   #73
country flag Fumus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naldo
speaking of choking, Hype lost her huge lead vs Christine and it looks like it's going to 3 sets.

Naldo...I am in love with your avatar...
That's the gospel.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:34 AM   #74
country flag blosson
La La Land

Dokic dressed as Kounikova?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #75
country flag Fumus

Quote:
Dokic dressed as Kounikova?
alas there is a Dokic thread now....
That's the gospel.