Is Andy in a slump? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is Andy in a Slump?

Yea, it's looking pretty grim for team Roddick. 8 21.62%
I wouldn't call it a slump but, he's underachieving for sure. 26 70.27%
Everything is peachy keen, and I happy with Andy's results so far in 05' 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2005, 09:32 PM   #31
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Andy in a slump?

I don't know if I would pick any of these options.

Is Andy playing as well as he or we would like? Clearly, the answer is no.

Are his results worse than last year? Other than his retirement this week in Miami and the Davis Cup loss, the answer is again no.

Compare last year with this year:

Australia: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
San Jose: Victory vs. Victory
Memphis: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
Indian Wells: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #32
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

The option I want is an inbetweenie of 1 and 2. Yes he is in a slump, but things don't look grim. This slump is a minor one, not something huge. I seriously don't see Andy falling out of the top 4/5 during this slump of his. He needs to clear his head and get back that attitude of "nobody's gonna beat me" and go out there and win matches he should be winning, and beat players he should be beating (Hewitt for fucking example ). He seems to not go into matches believing that he'll come out the winner for sure. The ONLY player he shouldn't be feeling about that way is vs Federer, and even at that he could be a little more upbeat when he faces him.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #33
country flag adeegee

adeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond reputeadeegee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I forgot to say, I completely agree with Andy's decision to start coming to the net a lot more during matches. I just wish he'd change his racquet though its so hard to volley with that racquet, he doesn't need the most powerful racquet around anyway he can generate enough pace of his own
adeegee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 PM   #34
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston's Human
Compare last year with this year:

Australia: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
San Jose: Victory vs. Victory
Memphis: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
Indian Wells: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
This is quite true, and easy to forget. The results are also above his 2003 points at this time, too. But, the losses this year have mostly been soooo tough.... that it's easier to focus on those Last year at Australia, he probably had chances to beat Marat but Marat was sort of like blessed that tourney - Andy didn't leave with any regrets and actually took a lot of positives from it. Compared to this year, where he basically lost the match for himself and then basically tanked the 4th set... that's rough. the IW losses were both bad, but again, I think this year's was a little worse. Memphis was the same - he was injured both times. San Jose was a big one for him this year because he came in there with very very little confidence and ended up playing very well in his last 2 matches. I hope he can keep THAT momentum and the fighting momentum from IW as he goes into clay season.

I agree with you too, Naldo - that killer look in his eyes, that's what he's gotta get back. He still has it once in a while but he needs it on a consistent level. That "if you wnna win, you're really gonna have to BEAT me" look.

Adam, I agree with you about his racquet.... but I don't see him leaving his Babolat any time soon. I think he's got a pretty sweet contract with them for starters, and he seems to really love it.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 PM   #35
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah

Adam, I agree with you about his racquet.... but I don't see him leaving his Babolat any time soon. I think he's got a pretty sweet contract with them for starters, and he seems to really love it.

Doesn't Babolat have a different type of racquet? Nadal uses a different type.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #36
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson
Doesn't Babolat have a different type of racquet? Nadal uses a different type.
Yeah they have a few different types for pros, I think... but they're all still mostly about power, as far as I know. And there are plenty of players who use the same racquet as Andy and can get good touch at the net.... and once in a while Andy can do it when he feels like

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 03-28-2005, 10:01 PM   #37
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

ok got the full list here, who can volleying in this lot?

Andy*RODDICK* Pure Drive Team + [USA]
Carlos*MOYA* Pure Drive Team [ESP]
Nicolas*MASSU* Pure Storm Team [CHI]
Ivan*LJUBICIC* Pure Drive Team + [CRO]
Fernando*GONZALEZ* Pure Storm Team [CHI]
Feliciano*LOPEZ* Pure Drive Team + [ESP]
Luis*HORNA* Pure Control Team [PER]
Rafael*NADAL* Aeropro Drive [ESP]
Igor*ANDREEV* Pure Drive Team + [RUS]
Ricardo*MELLO* Pure Drive Team [BRA]
Julien*BENNETEAU* Pure Drive Team + [FRA]
Gilles*MULLER* Pure Control Team [LUX]
Jan*HERNYCH* Pure Control Team [CZE]
Kenneth*CARLSEN* Pure Control Team [DEN]
Lars*BURGSMULLER* Pure Control Team + [GER]
Wayne*ARTHURS* Pure Drive Team + [AUS]
Arnaud*CLEMENT* Pure Drive Team + [FRA]
Flavio*SARETTA* Pure Control Team + [BRA]
Alex*CORRETJA* Pure Drive Team + [ESP]
Alejandro*FALLA* Pure Drive Team [COL]
Mariano*PUERTA* Aeropro Drive [ARG]
Justin*GIMELSTOB* Pure Control Team [USA]
Albert*PORTAS* Pure Drive Team [ESP]
Harel*LEVY* Pure Drive Team [ISR]
George*BASTL* Pure Control Team + [SUI]
Peter*LUCZAK* Pure Control Team + [AUS]
Sebastien*DE CHAUNAC* Pure Drive Team [FRA]
Wayne*BLACK* Pure Drive Team [ZIM]
Luciano*VITULLO* Aeropro Control [ARG]
Julien*MAIGRET* Aeropro Control [FRA]
Brian*DABUL* Pure Control Team + [ARG]
Franco*FERREIRO* Aeropro Control [BRA]
Martin*VILLARUBI* Aeropro Drive [URU]
Brian*MAC PHIE* Pure Storm Team [USA]
Marcel*FELDER* Pure Drive Team + [URU]
Scoville*JENKINS* Pure Storm Team [USA]
Yari*NATALI* Aeropro Drive [ITA]
Old 03-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #38
country flag Deboogle!.

LOL wow..... These are the people who, to my knowledge, can volley at least decently, I would imagine there are more. Plus there are some women's players who use the racquet and can also volley (Kimmy Clijsters comes to mind)

Carlos*MOYA* Pure Drive Team [ESP] (this might be debatable, but I think he's ok)
Ivan*LJUBICIC* Pure Drive Team + [CRO]
Feliciano*LOPEZ* Pure Drive Team + [ESP] (serve-volleyer)
Wayne*ARTHURS* Pure Drive Team + [AUS] (serve-volleyer)
Arnaud*CLEMENT* Pure Drive Team + [FRA]
Justin*GIMELSTOB* Pure Control Team [USA]
Wayne*BLACK* Pure Drive Team [ZIM] (one of the top doubles players, I assume he can volley ok)
Brian*MAC PHIE* Pure Storm Team [USA] (good doubles player, I assume he can volley ok)

Old 03-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #39
country flag zoltan83

zoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute

I choose the option 2 too... For the same reason than the majority of others people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli_V View Post
Nicoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!, you rule
zoltan83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #40
country flag Breaker

Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBreaker has a reputation beyond repute

Is the pope catholic?
Breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:22 PM   #41
country flag blosson
La La Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker
Is the pope catholic?
No the pope is part of Carlosism - Carlos the great who lives in queen kell's bedroom.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:33 PM   #42
country flag Deboogle!.

Just a friendly reminder.....

Old 03-28-2005, 10:39 PM   #43
country flag snaillyyy
rainha (:

snaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond repute

Deb but omg I must be worse off than I thought cause that pic made me laugh more than anything today :retard:

snaillyyy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 PM   #44
country flag Katdiva7

Katdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond reputeKatdiva7 has a reputation beyond repute

For me it seems nearly all mental, but he seemed to be moving past it a little before he got injured (hence fighting with Hewitt the whole way at Indian Wells). But only time will tell. I think once he beats someone in a really physical and mental match, he will get his stride back. Hopefully he has a good (or atleast better) clay court season to lead into the grass and hard court stuff. Oh and if he could freaking beat Hewitt that would probably help.
Katdiva7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:18 AM   #45
country flag Deboogle!.

PMac and Cliffy are talking during Roger's match about how great players, when they're up a set and on serve in the second, will really step it up at 3-3 or 4-3 or so in the second to put the match away. Andre did it earlier today and they are talking about Federer doing it right now.

This is something Andy really could improve upon, don't you guys think? So many times, Andy will pull out a first set and then have either a much closer 2nd set or even lose it. He's not the best at just putting down the hammer.